Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 10, 2016
    elsnab wrote: »
    Just redesigned my website based on the Jasper theme: http://thomaselsnab.smugmug.com/
    Nicely done!

My only comment is on this page - https://thomaselsnab.smugmug.com/West. While square images fit nicely on the screen I've never thought that square images do a good job of showcasing landscape photos. I would prefer to see the actual aspect ratio on this page. That is a personal preference though; your preference may be different.

--- Denise
  • elsnabelsnab Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2016
    Nicely done!

My only comment is on this page - https://thomaselsnab.smugmug.com/West. While square images fit nicely on the screen I've never thought that square images do a good job of showcasing landscape photos. I would prefer to see the actual aspect ratio on this page. That is a personal preference though; your preference may be different.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise!

I'm a little torn between square and actual ratio - I changed it to the actual ratio for now, since it looks better on a mobile screen. Actually I'm in doubt about whether to include that page at all or just have the drop down menu to choose from.

Thank you for you input :)
  • Digital CreatorDigital Creator Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2016
    Greetings!

I'm new to Smug Mug. My site is dwsrphotography.com I'm in the process of building my site. The trouble I'm having right now is that my logo won't stay. I can see it on my end but on the user end it can't be seen. Apparently I need to have everything public. Right now it's in private. Is there a way to keep it private and still have it showing? Thanks.
  • photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    Mark you gallery where the logo is as Unlisted. This way no one would be able to go there unless they know the direct link. You, on the other hand, can use the image (logo) from the Unlisted gallery on your website by directly linking to it.
  • EvgenyREvgenyR Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2016
    Hey there!

I was trying to create my site during last few weeks.
    I have started with a simple customization, than, tried to do some CSS which I was not familiar with.
    It was entertaining and has really caught me up. I have learned new things and was happy when they started to actually work - just to understand that all the fancy really worthless and unprofessional. so I did a quick reverse to a simple look and came with that:
    https://evgenyr-photography.smugmug.com/
    I made the site for showcase only. There is no intention to make cash out of it and it is not business-oriented.
    What do you think? I know, there is not much content, only basic stuff. I want to add something to the site, but without overwhelming with social media likes/links.
    I would appreciate any feedback, ideas.
    Thanks!
    edited September 4, 2016
    EvgenyR wrote: »
    Overall your site has a good clean look.

I do have a couple of suggestions though.

When I go to the Galleries page at https://evgenyr-photography.smugmug.com/Galleries there are a number of photos representing galleries, but there is no indication of what those galleries are until I hover over the image. I would prefer to see the name of the gallery by default, no hover needed.

You are allowing access to the Original images. The originals are used for printing and can be requested by the viewer, but they are never shown by default. I recommend that you set the largest display size to something smaller than Original.

The pages shown on your Info page at https://evgenyr-photography.smugmug.com/Info do not have featured images. You should add a featured image for each page.

I don't believe a background photo adds to your site when your viewer is looking at photos. Why give him or her something other than your photos to view?

--- Denise
    edited September 4, 2016
    Hi Denise,

Thank you for a very constructive review.
    I actually agree with every point you mentioned.

1. I shall make gallery image titles static.

2. Initially, I uploaded all images in their full resolution, to use the site as a back up. I actually don't like how they are resized and Jpeg interpolation. I will probably go the following route: I will upload 2 version of each image - one in full resolution and another one, resized best for a viewing with an optional link to full resolution in case I'll want to sell prints in the future.

3. You are right, blank page icons do not add to the site, I just forgot to add featured images. But, I even prefer to disable that page, so that users will be able to enter sub-menu items only. I cannot find a way to make "Info" non-clickable.

4. Background image? This one really distracts, agree. Maybe, some texture background instead?

One more question - Are the fonts readable?

Thanks you!
    Evgeny
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2016
    3. You are right, blank page icons do not add to the site, I just forgot to add featured images. But, I even prefer to disable that page, so that users will be able to enter sub-menu items only. I cannot find a way to make "Info" non-clickable. ..

Thanks you!
    Evgeny
    If the folder is just holding all those info pages/galleries and the direct links in the sub-menu are used
    to link to them make the folder unlisted. Leave the link for the menu name "Info" blank.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited September 4, 2016
    2. Initially, I uploaded all images in their full resolution, to use the site as a back up. I actually don't like how they are resized and Jpeg interpolation. I will probably go the following route: I will upload 2 version of each image - one in full resolution and another one, resized best for a viewing with an optional link to full resolution in case I'll want to sell prints in the future.
    I wouldn't recommend uploading two versions of the image. Upload an image that will print well and use that as the display copy.

--- Denise
    edited September 6, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    If the folder is just holding all those info pages/galleries and the direct links in the sub-menu are used
    to link to them make the folder unlisted. Leave the link for the menu name "Info" blank.
    Thanks Allen,
    This is actually works, but I've already updated empty icons on "Info" page, so decided to keep it.
    You are allowing access to the Original images. The originals are used for printing and can be requested by the viewer, but they are never shown by default. I recommend that you set the largest display size to something smaller than Original.
    Denise,
    I just checked and cannot find the way to access original resolution images. There is no "Download" button. Right-click protection is present. Maximum, the guest can make a "print screen" and steal a screen size resolution image.
    edited September 6, 2016
    Denise,
    I just checked and cannot find the way to access original resolution images. There is no "Download" button. Right-click protection is present. Maximum, the guest can make a "print screen" and steal a screen size resolution image.
    Originals can be accessed from lightbox. To get there, click on a photo in your gallery, click the sizes icon, and select Original. I've attached a screen shot from one of your photos to show how to access the original.

If someone wants a copy of the Original photo they can easily save it from the browser cache.

Here are the steps in Firefox:
    • click to Original of photo
    • in another browser tab, enter about:cache
    • look in the disk section for the storage disk location, then open that folder
    • Look for the largest most recent entry (which is likely the original photo that you just referenced)
    • Open that entry
    • Save it as a jpg
    It took seconds to run through these steps and save your photo.

I recommend disallowing access to the Original. Again, it will be used for printing but it should not be made available for online viewing.

You might also consider embedding a copyright in your image. You can do this with a preset in Lightroom.

--- Denise
    edited September 6, 2016
    Originals can be accessed from lightbox. To get there, click on a photo in your gallery, click the sizes icon, and select Original. I've attached a screen shot from one of your photos to show how to access the original.

If someone wants a copy of the Original photo they can easily save it from the browser cache.

Here are the steps in Firefox:
    • click to Original of photo
    • in another browser tab, enter about:cache
    • look in the disk section for the storage disk location, then open that folder
    • Look for the largest most recent entry (which is likely the original photo that you just referenced)
    • Open that entry
    • Save it as a jpg
    It took seconds to run through these steps and save your photo.

I recommend disallowing access to the Original. Again, it will be used for printing but it should not be made available for online viewing.

You might also consider embedding a copyright in your image. You can do this with a preset in Lightroom.

--- Denise
    Thanks Denise,

I would really stay away from watermarks. The big ones may ruin the picture and small/opacity ones can be easily "content aware" filled in Photoshop.
    Haven't thought about cache trick. This is interesting, although I don't think anybody will go through that process in order to steal my images, but additional layer of protection is only for good.
    Is there any way to disallow access to the original files via Smugmug customization?
    edited September 6, 2016
    Thanks Denise,

I would really stay away from watermarks. The big ones may ruin the picture and small/opacity ones can be easily "content aware" filled in Photoshop.
    Haven't thought about cache trick. This is interesting, although I don't think anybody will go through that process in order to steal my images, but additional layer of protection is only for good.
    Is there any way to disallow access to the original files via Smugmug customization?
    I'm not suggesting a watermark, I'm suggesting adding a copyright within the file. That will show if anyone looks at the properties of the file.

You can apply a copyright to the file using a preset in Lightroom.

I've attached a screenshot of one of my photos showing the file properties. In the details section you see the copyright I added in Lightroom.

The way to limit access to the Original image is to set the largest display size to anything smaller than Original. I don't understand why you want to allow display access to the Original.

--- Denise
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2016

A watermark is just another level of security, and one that should be considered. Many images are stolen each year by others who will use it for commercial gain.

There is a very well known and financially successful so called artist in NY who has made his career and fortune by stealing images from photographers. There are plenty of individuals and companies small and large troll the internet looking for content.

While removing a watermark is very easy, when someone does it, it 100% proves intent of theft and for those occasions where you are in court suing that individual or company, the proof of intent goes a very long way.

Just something to consider.
    Steve

Website
  • TallPhotoGuyTallPhotoGuy Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2016
    I made changes to the Menu layout Its on a test page at https://hewitt.smugmug.com/Tinsley/Tinsley-Test-F/TinsleyTestG/. I also got rid of the background photo, not sure I 100% liked it.
  • TallPhotoGuyTallPhotoGuy Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2016
    jjesp wrote: »
    Ok, here is my take. Build on the Spartan theme.

Is it too much with dimmed background images? (Wanted to make it a bit more personal, since many SmugMug sites actually looks the same to me).

Done a little CSS changes, not much. The Lightbox has now a frame around the actually image. Hopefully this works ok.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.janjespersenphotography.dk/

I changed my Home page to be a full screen slide show. How do I get a true full screen that has a semi transparent title/Header

I also made changes to the Menu layout as per comments from Jason. Its on a test page at https://hewitt.smugmug.com/Tinsley/T.../TinsleyTestG/
  • JWatsonJWatson Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2016
    I just checked out your site but the test page shows "no page found". Perhaps the URL is incorrect?

To make your header semi transparent, go to your 'customize: Content and Design' screen, select 'Theme' and click 'edit' to edit your theme. While in edit theme mode, select 'Advanced'. Then you can find the header section and adjust the opacity accordingly.

It does appear that your page has several custom layouts for various galleries and pages. I'm not sure if this will cause you problems when trying to apply a common theme to all galleries/pages. I used to customize each gallery/page as well, but ultimately I found it too much work to maintain and update with new changes. I eventually decided to have a common look throughout my galleries so I could update all galleries at the same time. This might be something worth thinking about.

I look forward to seeing your updates!

I changed my Home page to be a full screen slide show. How do I get a true full screen that has a semi transparent title/Header

I also made changes to the Menu layout as per comments from Jason. Its on a test page at https://hewitt.smugmug.com/Tinsley/T.../TinsleyTestG/
    edited September 12, 2016
    How do I get a true full screen that has a semi transparent title/Header

To get true full screen, in the 'Customize: Content and Design' section, select the 'Background' section. Under 'type' select slideshow. Then you can decide if you want specific pictures or an entire gallery to be your slideshow. I think it works best when you select photos that are the same general ratio as your monitor.

I hope this helps.
  • BCdronesBCdrones Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2016
    Brand new to the site and this forum, just built my first website and looking for some feedback. I still need to add some more content.
    www.buckscountydrones.com

Thanks!
    BCdrones wrote: »
    Brand new to the site and this forum, just built my first website and looking for some feedback. I still need to add some more content.
    www.buckscountydrones.com

Thanks!

Your site looks good. It has a clean simple design that is easy to navigate. I only have a couple minor suggestions to offer:

- Breadcrumbs. If you don't plan on having any pages that drill down further than the single page that is selected from the menu bar, I don't see the need to have a breadcrumb. I personally only find them useful if you have galleries or pages that drill down 2 or more levels. Otherwise, a simple title at the top of the page looks cleaner and does the trick to let users know where they are. If you do want to keep the breadcrumbs, the one on the video page is mid way down the page between content blocks, and the one on the about page is not at the top of the page where they are typically located. It would look better if they are all in the same position on each page.

- I would fill out the about page with a bit more content explaining your services and what clients can expect if they use your service. Perhaps you would also want to consider including a comments section for clients to provide their feedback on your service.

I look forward to seeing your site when you load more content.

Thanks.
    I have one more small suggestion. You have listed your contact details in the footer of your home page. I would consider moving this information and your social media links to the footer for your entire site. This way, clients will see these details regardless of where they are on your site.
    JWatson wrote: »
    I have one more small suggestion. You have listed your contact details in the footer of your home page. I would consider moving this information and your social media links to the footer for your entire site. This way, clients will see these details regardless of where they are on your site.
    JWatson, thanks for the ideas! :)
  • uncooluncool Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    Good looking site - the content flows well. The horizontal logo allows for more screen real estate for the photos. Wouldn't mind the logo smaller so the images pop more (personal preference).

Two items:
    Your subhead states "services" yet there is not a services button. It may seem trivial but you can't spell things out too simply online. Adding a Hire Me or Services Available will make it 100% clear what you want visitors to do. This button should go to a page that explains how you work - do you charge by the minute, by the project? Where is your territory-how far are you willing to drive?

The footer looks like clickable links. I suggest a simple horizontal rule and maybe stack that information so it doesn't look to buttonesque.

Overall though, great job.
    Well every person you can know,
    And every place that you can go,
    And any thing that you can show,
    You know they're nouns.
    uncool wrote: »
    Good looking site - the content flows well. The horizontal logo allows for more screen real estate for the photos. Wouldn't mind the logo smaller so the images pop more (personal preference).

Two items:
    Your subhead states "services" yet there is not a services button. It may seem trivial but you can't spell things out too simply online. Adding a Hire Me or Services Available will make it 100% clear what you want visitors to do. This button should go to a page that explains how you work - do you charge by the minute, by the project? Where is your territory-how far are you willing to drive?

The footer looks like clickable links. I suggest a simple horizontal rule and maybe stack that information so it doesn't look to buttonesque.

Overall though, great job.

Thanks for your input! :)
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2016
    I just finished the update of my site:

http://www.jonathanbeckley.com/
    edited October 22, 2016
    First, your photography is top notch. The circus gallery is quite compelling.
    While the navigation is interesting, the number of choices is daunting. That said, knowing the purpose of the site would be helpful. If it is to showcase your work, the site works. If you are looking to book gigs, I am not sure who your audience is - people looking for portraits, events, other...There are a lot of options. And I do not know anything about you. The contact us page is just a form.
    When I view the site on my iPad, the Portrait thumbnail drops to the botttom and is not immediately noticeable.

So to summarize, if the site is meant to book jobs, it needs to be more focused and include some personality from you in the form of a simple, short bio. If it is a personal site, I recommend working on getting all the navigation to fit above the fold of most browsers and devices.

Well that's an opinion from a random dude on the Internet.
    You know they're nouns.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2016
    uncool wrote: »
    First, your photography is top notch. The circus gallery is quite compelling.
    While the navigation is interesting, the number of choices is daunting. That said, knowing the purpose of the site would be helpful. If it is to showcase your work, the site works. If you are looking to book gigs, I am not sure who your audience is - people looking for portraits, events, other...There are a lot of options. And I do not know anything about you. The contact us page is just a form.
    When I view the site on my iPad, the Portrait thumbnail drops to the botttom and is not immediately noticeable.

So to summarize, if the site is meant to book jobs, it needs to be more focused and include some personality from you in the form of a simple, short bio. If it is a personal site, I recommend working on getting all the navigation to fit above the fold of most browsers and devices.

Well that's an opinion from a random dude on the Internet.

Thanks, the iPad bit especially is useful to know. I'll be condensing the main page into folders in the future as I add galleries so I'll make 5-6 my goal.

So the purpose is to show off my work but as far as booking gigs that's a bit more complicated. I don't have people searching for photographers as my target market since I get all my work via referral, so this is mostly just a portfolio. Before I was just sending galleries of whatever type work a client was interested in upon request since my old site which I finally just turned into a redirect link was from 2010 and flash.

As to the categories this site currently doesn't include my product, culinary, sports, motorsports, and a few others... so focus is a bit hard since I shoot a very wide range of subjects.

Edit: Which model iPad are you on?
    edited October 23, 2016
    I viewed the site on an old iPad 2 (1024 x 768) in landscape mode. On my iMac, the site displays as you intended. There are a number of screen size testing sites you can use to see how your site looks on various devices. Here's one: http://whatismyscreenresolution.net/.
    Regarding your categories - with so many, how about making the home page a grid of boxes to include all that you shoot? And add the tagline - I capture life.
    You know they're nouns.
  • Misfit79Misfit79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2016
    Site redesign - Feedback
    Hi All,

I have been plugging away at updating my site and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

First off for perspective, this site is primarily for me to take pics of all of the animals and birds in alberta, Canada, as such the website is more of a repository design.

Things that are still a work in progress
    1. better breakdown of menus
    2. labels of animals/birds (id is tedious)
    3. Figure out how to add some transparency to the submenus (if anyone can help with this it would be appreciated)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as to the design aspects.

Thanks!
    Rory
    http://www.rjsalpinephotography.ca/
    edited October 30, 2016
    Appreciate the background on the site and its purpose. On to an opinion from a random dude on the Internet. With that in mind, simple navigation is essential, no matter what the site's purpose.

1. Home page image flipper - made me dizzy, I could not concentrate on the images. Make the images near full screen slowly change from one to another.
    2a. Too many menu choices. If you get a large number of people visiting on a regular basis, the "Newest Images" button can stay. Otherwise, delete it.
    2b. Recent updates - same as above. If you have something to say on a regular basis, start a blog.
    2c. Browse - delete it. You have eight other menu items (including the available prints).
    2d. - Available prints - delete it. Unless people are chomping at the bit to buy your stuff, letting people know that there is nothing in the gallery is not going to be useful.
    If you are selling your stuff, why not put a price tag on all your items?
    3. Watermarks - There is endless debate over watermarks - I am not a fan. You are. Some of your images have two watermarks - that's a bit extreme.
    4. Shot selection - I noticed in a frog gallery and an airplane gallery, you have photos that are either the same or very, very similar - limit what you show.
    5. Contact page - The Contact form has a broken image
    6. URL - the sites URL is spelled out under the logo. I'm on the site, this part should be deleted
    7. Subhead - The sites subhead is "Exploring Alberta, Canada" yet there are sections about other areas of the continent.
    8. Social media buttons - currently not working. Remove them until you have some place to send people.

Well that's all for now. And remember, these observations are coming a random dude on the Internet, not someone specifically in your target audience.

Misfit79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been plugging away at updating my site and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

First off for perspective, this site is primarily for me to take pics of all of the animals and birds in alberta, Canada, as such the website is more of a repository design.

Things that are still a work in progress
    1. better breakdown of menus
    2. labels of animals/birds (id is tedious)
    3. Figure out how to add some transparency to the submenus (if anyone can help with this it would be appreciated)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as to the design aspects.

Thanks!
    Rory
    http://www.rjsalpinephotography.ca/
    You know they're nouns.