Options

[Fixed] Organizer manual sort bug?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    You will never be able to please everyone. Some people want it one way, some people want it another and you can't include options for every individual preference. I think it makes much more sense for new images to be at the bottom by default but it only takes seconds to move them to where you want them in any case.

Thanks for the moral support! The old version of smugmug worked just fine.

"I am having the same problem legacy sort had several years ago before it was fixed.

I sort my pictures manually, more or less chronologically, so I use Sort Manually and want new uploads to go to the top of the gallery.
    But when using Sort Manually the 9-1 icon greys out and goes to 1-9 causing the new upload to go to the bottom of the gallery.

This is a major problem because in a large gallery you have to move every uploaded picture back to the top of the gallery!
    In legacy sort both variables were available so you could drop pictures to the top of the gallery while using Sort Manually."
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I prefer it the way it is, sorry. This is the way it worked on my legacy site too - new uploads were always listed last in a gallery until you went in and moved them.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    When the gallery is set to Manual Sort using the gallery settings and changing gallery comment, or probably any other setting, causes all the pictures to be rearranged by date, oldest first.
    This is very repeatable. All my hard work thrown out the window!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    When the gallery is set to Manual Sort using the gallery settings and changing gallery comment, or probably any other setting, causes all the pictures to be rearranged by date, oldest first.

More information on this problem:

I have found that the above is true, but it only happens the first time you open Gallery Settings.
    You do not need to change the settings, just open Gallery Settings and close it again.

The order of the gallery pictures changes to oldest first. After the pictures are rearranged again opening Gallery Settings and closing it does not seem to affect the order of the pictures again.
    This bug has blown the order of my pictures in every gallery. Some galleries have hundreds of pictures that took many hours to arrange. All this time wasted!

I'm not sure if this only affects galleries unveiled with Manual Sort as the gallery option or if it has implications for other gallery settings as well.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    More information on this problem:

I have found that the above is true, but it only happens the first time you open Gallery Settings.
    You do not need to change the settings, just open Gallery Settings and close it again.

The order of the gallery pictures changes to oldest first. After the pictures are rearranged again opening Gallery Settings and closing it does not seem to affect the order of the pictures again.
    This bug has blown the order of my pictures in every gallery. Some galleries have hundreds of pictures that took many hours to arrange. All this time wasted!

I'm not sure if this only affects galleries unveiled with Manual Sort as the gallery option or if it has implications for other gallery settings as well.

It's pretty plain what's happening here. There is another problem with the Manual Sort where what used to be Ascending / Descending and is now 1-9 / 9-1 has been greyed out and only the 1-9 option is allowed in the new smugmug.
    My old smugmug galleries were set to Manual Sort and Descending. Because this isn't allowed in the new smugmug the uvveiled gallery breaks when you open Gallery Settings.

Not only has this change messed up all my galleries but I have to drag every upload from the bottom of the gallery to the top now.
    This is no easy task when a gallery has hundreds of pictures, waiting for all the picture thumbnails in Organizer to refresh, etc.

Please return the option to have a choice where new uploads are put in Manual Sort by allowing the 1-9 / 9-1 choice like it was in the old smugmug.

Cheers,
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Heya Dennis Mullins,

I see you added this to the Active Bug Thread. This should be fixed. Can you confirm that this does indeed work for you?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Heya Dennis Mullins,

I see you added this to the Active Bug Thread. This should be fixed. Can you confirm that this does indeed work for you?

What is "this"? See my posts just above this...

My old smugmug galleries were set to Manual Sort and Descending.
    Because Ascending / Descending with Manual Sort isn't available in the new smugmug the unveiled gallery breaks when you open Gallery Settings causing all the pictures to be rearranged oldest first!

This bug has blown the order of my pictures in every gallery.
    Some galleries have hundreds of pictures that took many hours to arrange.

Ascending / Descending in Manual Sort is needed as it determines whether newly uploaded pictures are placed at the top or bottom of the gallery.

Not only has this change messed up all my galleries but I have to drag every new upload from the bottom of the gallery to the top now.
    This is no easy task when a gallery has hundreds of pictures, waiting for all the picture thumbnails in Organizer to refresh, etc.

Please fix the option to have a choice of where new uploads are put in Manual Sort by allowing the 1-9 / 9-1 choice like it was in the old smugmug.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Dennis, your issue is not related to the OP's issue at all. The original issue is "In the organizer, if you select a number of photos then drag and drop them to a new position, they appear in random order, not the order they were originally."

Please create a feature request for "Please fix the option to have a choice of where new uploads are put in Manual Sort by allowing the 1-9 / 9-1 choice like it was in the old smugmug." and I will submit to my product department.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Why all these roadblocks? This thread, if you read it, was about "Multiple" problems with Manual Sort.
    This problem still exists. It is a Major BUG!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    The issue originally referred to in this thread has been fixed. The 'bug' which isn't a bug but a preference has now been reported elsewhere - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240012 so this one can be marked as dealt with now and closed before it gets any more sidetracked.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    The Bug is that when you unveil a site that has gallery settings of Manual and Descending the order of the pictures in the gallery is lost.
    This is a Major BUG! It needs to be fixed. I'm so glad this problem doesn't affect you.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 30, 2013
    The Bug is that when you unveil a site that has gallery settings of Manual and Descending the order of the pictures in the gallery is lost.
    This is a Major BUG! It needs to be fixed. I'm so glad this problem doesn't affect you.
    That's a show-stopper for me--I put a lot of work into arranging my pics to my taste. I'll wait till this is fixed before migrating.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013

All my galleries use the manual arrange setting. When I first migrated a few weeks ago, the bug I reported was that a lot of my pictures had been moved out of order - blocks which were at the front had been moved to the middle etc but that was soon fixed and put back in the correct order again and now when I manually arrange a gallery everything stays where it should. But I didn't have what you are reporting which is that everything was arranged 9-1 which would have been a major disaster for sure.

Richard I see no reason for the order of the photographs in your gallery to be different when you migrate. Are they currently set as manual/descending or specifically arranged by you as mine are? The problem I had at first has definitely been fixed. If everyone's galleries were all out of whack then it would be the number one topic in the forums and it isn't. If you arrange them as manual/descending then that still seems to be an issue for Dennis but I haven't seen anybody else report this either and there are many thousands of users here!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Anyone who unveils with galleries that were set to Manual / Descending in the old smugmug with get their gallery rearranged to sorted by date oldest first when they open Gallery Settings.
    This will only happen the first time you open Gallery Settings but the damage is done. LPC is not affected by this so he feels a need to lobby against getting this BUG fixed.
    People think the bug was fixed because it only happens the first time they open Gallery Settings.

Cheers,
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    If everyone's galleries were all out of whack then it would be the number one topic in the forums and it isn't...
    It's quite possible that some affected folk just aren't reporting it here, not every SMer is a Dgrinner, maybe they're just dealing with it in private. When I migrated I had "disordering" issues but they were minimal and easy to fix so I didn't report them. What happened to mine was that if I'd set a gallery sort to anything other than Manual the ordering was preserved, but for those set to Manual all pics that didn't have an EXIF date (either taken or modified), such as my stitched panoramas, were grouped at the top.

Reading through all of the threads related to these issues, I've come to the conclusion that we have a "Blind Men and an Elephant" situation.

dennismullen, did you get the p.m. that I sent?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 30, 2013
    Richard I see no reason for the order of the photographs in your gallery to be different when you migrate. Are they currently set as manual/descending or specifically arranged by you as mine are? The problem I had at first has definitely been fixed. If everyone's galleries were all out of whack then it would be the number one topic in the forums and it isn't. If you arrange them as manual/descending then that still seems to be an issue for Dennis but I haven't seen anybody else report this either and there are many thousands of users here!
    I use manual sort, and new uploads go to the top by default. I had some annoying sort problems in the past--I think it may have been when virtual galleries were first introduced, and sorting took on a will of its own. I don't want to go through that again. I'm looking forward to using the new tools, but I'm planning on waiting till things settle down a bit before starting the process.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Anyone who unveils with galleries that were set to Manual / Descending in the old smugmug with get their gallery rearranged to sorted by date oldest first when they open Gallery Settings.
    This will only happen the first time you open Gallery Settings but the damage is done. LPC is not affected by this so he feels a need to lobby against getting this BUG fixed.
    People think the bug was fixed because it only happens the first time they open Gallery Settings.

Cheers,

Dennis, the issue originally reported in this thread has been dealt with - fixed. I'm sorry you are still having problems with the way you organize your galleries but you have now reported this in another dedicated thread in which I had posted something supportive but there we go. Good luck with it thumb.gif

Richard, yes, best wait for a while then if you are not sure.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Dennis, the issue originally reported in this thread has been dealt with - fixed. I'm sorry you are still having problems with the way you organize your galleries but you have now reported this in another dedicated thread in which I had posted something supportive but there we go. Good luck with it thumb.gif

Thank you for all your support. You have been such a great help in this matter.

Cheers,