Options

Smart Gallery bug

2»

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    populus wrote: »
    Still not working properly. Keywords are not getting picked up after more than 24 hours.

When a keyword is added, it needs to be indexed in our internal search....that is where the delay comes in. We made changes that make this process much faster...they will be there, and every day this process will be faster and faster. I apologize for the inconvenience....keep an eye out and let me know when they are there.
  • Options
    OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    It's quite broken now. On the above example of my "panorama" keyword smart gallery the funny thing is that if I search for keyword panorama (http://lagemaatphoto.smugmug.com/keyword/panorama ), the images show up, but they do not show up in a smart gallery that searches for that keyword ( http://lagemaatphoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Panoramic-landscapes ). Not even if I go into the smart gallery rules and hit refresh.
  • Options
    syntaxerr0rsyntaxerr0r Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    There's pictures I uploaded days ago with a certain keyword and still haven't been indexed.

Look, there's 35 photos with keyword "bwrockies" in http://www.davidcantatore.com/keyword/bwrockies

And now the smart gallery with only that keyword as criteria, showing a grand total of 17 photos... http://www.davidcantatore.com/Davids-photos-1/Bwrockies/n-Cr39D

I ended up re-uploading the shots in a "dumb" gallery since the situation is not improving the least. I can't believe that in this day and age I'd have to wait WEEKS to have not even 50 files indexed! SM better make it good to me and anyone affected by this atrocious performance issue! I want to be able to use Smart Galleries!

:pissed
  • Options
    JASPCJASPC Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Oja wrote: »
    It's quite broken now. On the above example of my "panorama" keyword smart gallery the funny thing is that if I search for keyword panorama (http://lagemaatphoto.smugmug.com/keyword/panorama ), the images show up, but they do not show up in a smart gallery that searches for that keyword ( http://lagemaatphoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Panoramic-landscapes ). Not even if I go into the smart gallery rules and hit refresh.

+1. I did the same, searched on the keyword "Fine Art" and the images are there in the search, not in the smart galleries. Those were uploaded on Saturday and it is now Tuesday evening.

What I would still like to know is why the folders do not match in the Smart Gallery selection, as per this screen shot I posted here earlier:

http://www.josesuroeditorial.com/Portfolios/Other/Tests/n-RKw2g/i-F4qRm4j/A

I don't have a Landscapes folder nor a Smug Preview. I still think that might have something to do with it. But what do I know ne_nau.gif.

Jose

http://www.josesuroeditorial.com/
  • Options
    populuspopulus Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Nope. As of this morning (4 DAYS after I set up some of the smart galleries), they are still not indexing. So a gallery called "maple" for example should have 100 pictures, all containing the keyword "maple" but it only has about 15. This is slightly more than yesterday, but at this rate it will be months before my smart galleries are showing properly. And, since I want to add photos on a daily basis, Smugmug will never catch up. This is a very serious problem and evidently the keyword database was not appropriately stress tested before you went live.
    My Smugmug Site: photos.kimmerer.com
  • Options
    frugalafrugala Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Well after a day or so the photos have finally populated, some of them *twice* in different sizes! And the Smart gallery maximum display size setting isn't honoured.

Hey, what's going on here? This is unusable! :(

Me too!
    I finally gave up on waiting for my smartgallery to find the keyword pictures, and i decide to MOVE them. Well, that is erroring out, and i can't even MOVE the photos to a different folder. WTF Smugmug?!?
    I want to go back to the old system. I've learned this lesson too many times; never be an early adopter...
  • Options
    frugalafrugala Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Well, now the keyword photo's from a few days ago all show up. yay, i guess... I'll have to try some new tags tonight and see how fast it is.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    There's pictures I uploaded days ago with a certain keyword and still haven't been indexed.

Look, there's 35 photos with keyword "bwrockies" in http://www.davidcantatore.com/keyword/bwrockies

And now the smart gallery with only that keyword as criteria, showing a grand total of 17 photos... http://www.davidcantatore.com/Davids-photos-1/Bwrockies/n-Cr39D

:pissed

Quoting myself for context. We're over 24 hours later and my "smart" gallery now has... 22 pictures. At this rate, it will take 2 weeks to populate with all 35 shots. Oh boy, I'm glad I'm not populus.

This is unacceptable! How long is it going to take for this function to be instantaneous as it should be, and is with every other comparable service out there?
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Quoting myself for context. We're over 24 hours later and my "smart" gallery now has... 22 pictures. At this rate, it will take 2 weeks to populate with all 35 shots. Oh boy, I'm glad I'm not populus.

This is unacceptable! How long is it going to take for this function to be instantaneous as it should be, and is with every other comparable service out there?

Wait a second... are you saying that other companies actually were able to come up with an algorithm to make this process instantaneous????!!!!! Unbelievable!
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Wait a second... are you saying that other companies actually were able to come up with an algorithm to make this process instantaneous????!!!!! Unbelievable!

Unsure if sarcastic :D But yeah, it's pretty much instantaneous elsewhere.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013

Unsure if sarcastic :D But yeah, it's pretty much instantaneous elsewhere.

Nope.. it was not sarcastic... it was VERY sarcastic :D
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    I would really like a clear answer from SM regarding this. Telling us to wait until it works is unacceptable.

FIX IT ALREADY!!!
  • Options
    wootenwooten Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Just adding so I can follow - I'm having the same issue. The smart gallery feature was the hook for me to join smugmug. So effiecient and easy. Now the galleries I have set up are still incomplete after several days and it's beyond irritating at this point.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Are we going to see an answer from SM staff on this, other than telling us to suck it up and wait?

Sorry for sounding passive-aggressive here but I'm quite irritated by this situation and the lack of response from staff. Not the level of service I expected.
  • Options
    colindivercolindiver Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I have the Smart Gallery bug also
    I have exactly the same problem. I have been using Smart Galleries for a long time. I loaded Pics into same gallery in New Smugmug with EXACTLY the same KEYWORDS. Some are pulled into a Smart Gallery and some are not. I have checked the KEYWORDS to ensure they are exactly the same, refreshed many times and given up. I then checked here and find the problem is common to many users. Please fix it quickly! You have a MAJOR BUG which is affecting the ability of many users to control their galleries.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    It's just getting worse and worse, my test "smart" gallery still hasn't indexed all the photos after ONE WEEK and, adding insult to injury, it's now showing duplicates in multiple sizes. Where's that promised support? Oh, right, we just have to wait indefinitely.

So I have no choice but to do multiple uploads, which absolutely SUCKS with the bandwidth I have.

Smugmug, I think it's about time you hire a competent database admin because this is bullsh*t. Even my company gets better performance out of its 1970's era mainframe db. This is making the competition look more and more appealing every day - at least they make sure ALL their functions work!
  • Options
    rjdesqrjdesq Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    When I try to make a smart gallery from an existing gallery I can't even create it because my Smart Gallery options only show my old LEGACY Smugmug gallery hierarchy. No work from Smug in two days other that "engineers have been alerted" and no reponses to my requests for a follow up email.

Not pleased.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    So I guess a related issue is that search is broken? Just curious if that relies upon the same keyword index. My images are typically in pairs and I noticed 1 of 2 finally pop into the correct smart gallery but if I search for that image I get no results....ugh
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Just adding a me too so I can follow progress. Smart albums only picking up a random sampling of properly-tagged images uploaded at the same time. In Legacy, it often took a few secs for the keyword to "take", but once the keyword displayed on the image page, the image was available in the appropriate smart album.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    All smart galleries should be updated by tomorrow morning, if there aren't already. Please let me know of your not seeing results by tomorrow. I apologize again for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    missedbeatmissedbeat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    So hope this is true and SmugMug resumes working as it should!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    All smart galleries should be updated by tomorrow morning, if there aren't already. Please let me know of your not seeing results by tomorrow. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

My primary smart album is still missing a number of shots, although they now seem to be showing in a search for the relevant keyword (which they weren't last night).

I tried refreshing the Smart Album settings. Any other ideas? Or just wait and all will work itself through?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Still not really working here. A couple of images have shown up, others are still missing - same keywords, same upload time - no idea why one would take and the other wouldn't.

http://cbjgameworn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Thanks for the updates guys. I will look into these when I get to a computer in a couple of hours.
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Thanks for the updates guys. I will look into these when I get to a computer in a couple of hours.

Smart Galleries are working 99% of the time for me. I'm seeing stuff show up in smart galleries within a few minutes of key wording, but then I've got a few that still don't show up after a couple days. I'm hoping that given time, all will be indexed property.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013

As of this morning, smart album indexing is complete for images added mid-last week, and images added or removed yesterday are displaying (or not) as expected.

Thanks!
  • Options
    cloveclove Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Keywords and smart galleries are now processing in a matter of minutes (instead of 4+ days). I'm back in business. Big thank you to the Smugmug team for the attention to this.
    shawn c
    cloverphoto.smugmug.com
    www.cloverphoto.com
  • Options
    rjdesqrjdesq Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Smart galleries still aren't working for me. Since Smugmug hasn't responded to my emails since August 14, despite numerous requests for a follow up (ticket# 504821) I feel I have no choice but to post here and hope someone responds. If I try to make a smart gallery rule that pulls images from an existing gallery, I only get my OLD hierarchy from legacy Smugmug. Unfortunately when i unveiled the new Smugmug I changed my hierarchy, so now I can't create the smart gallery rule.

Now I have to upload images multiple times to multiple galleries, using more bandwidth and more importantly (to me anyway) more of my time. And the fact that Smugmug has not given me an update in 4 days despite numerous emails is absoultely terrible customer service. I realize glitches happen, but to be ignored by support is quite a different thing and much more frustrating. Poor form. Please respond Smugmug.