Options

[Implemented] Restore Bulk Collecting

Comments

• Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    At some point you will be forced to migrate, although SM doesnt seem to know when this will happen. Reading the FAQ just says you will be forced over when asked if when we will have to switch. Doesnt really answer the question
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    joshwiselyjoshwisely Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2013
    Nifty Trick
    :soapbox The side-stepping real problems is very frustrating. I love the support for simple how-to type problems, but more complex things seem to be ignored. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Moving on......

I make use of collecting (and keywords and smart galleries) heavily and was very frustrated when the bulk collect function disappeared in the new SmugMug. After a long back and forth (with plenty of avoiding the real problem from support) I figured out that the old bulk collect tool is really still there and still works!

I stumbled across this by looking at the bulk keyword editor in the new SmugMug. I noticed that this was the same tool as existed in the old SmugMug. That made me think the old collect tool might still exist too. I asked Support to go to the collect tool in the old SmugMug and send me an example URL. After tweaking the URL to use the parameters for my gallery, I found the old collect tool still lives and works!.

With the knowledge that the old collect tool really still does live, and work, I asked Support to add it to the share menu so it could be accessed without tweaking the URL. So far I've only heard from the crickets.

Here are the steps to get to the old collect tool.
    1) Go to the new organizer.
    2) Go into the gallery you want to collect from.
    3) Go to the bulk keyword editor (wrench icon --> Gallery Tools --> Captions & Keywords).
    4) Look for the URL part that looks like this "tools.mg?tool=bulkcaption" and change to "picker.mg?tool=collect".
    5) Collect away!

Interesting note, galleries created after the cut-over to the new SmugMug don't always seem to appear in the list of destination galleries. If you want to make other galleries show up, you'd have to edit the source of the page. Look for a variable called 'galleryMenu' which lists off each gallery the destination dropdown will display. For me, that was too much work as I didn't really need to see new galleries as I was always collecting into staging galleries for review before I updated the keywords (which is how I published to the smart galleries for finished photos).
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    joshwisely wrote: »
    I make use of collecting (and keywords and smart galleries) heavily and was very frustrated when the bulk collect function disappeared in the new SmugMug. After a long back and forth (with plenty of avoiding the real problem from support) I figured out that the old bulk collect tool is really still there and still works!

I stumbled across this by looking at the bulk keyword editor in the new SmugMug. I noticed that this was the same tool as existed in the old SmugMug. That made me think the old collect tool might still exist too. I asked Support to go to the collect tool in the old SmugMug and send me an example URL. After tweaking the URL to use the parameters for my gallery, I found the old collect tool still lives and works!.

With the knowledge that the old collect tool really still does live, and work, I asked Support to add it to the share menu so it could be accessed without tweaking the URL. So far I've only heard from the crickets.

3) Go to the bulk keyword editor (wrench icon --> Gallery Tools --> Captions & Keywords).
    4) Look for the URL part that looks like this "tools.mg?tool=bulkcaption" and change to "picker.mg?tool=collect".
    5) Collect away!

That's pure genius, and IMHO by far the best ever "first post" on Dgrin. Welcome to the madhouse!

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    victorg6546victorg6546 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2013
    :soapbox The side-stepping real problems is very frustrating. I love the support for simple how-to type problems, but more complex things seem to be ignored. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Moving on......

5) Collect away!

Interesting note, galleries created after the cut-over to the new SmugMug don't always seem to appear in the list of destination galleries. If you want to make other galleries show up, you'd have to edit the source of the page. Look for a variable called 'galleryMenu' which lists off each gallery the destination dropdown will display. For me, that was too much work as I didn't really need to see new galleries as I was always collecting into staging galleries for review before I updated the keywords (which is how I published to the smart galleries for finished photos).

I just tried what you said, and, You sir, are a god among men! Thank you so much for this!!! You are my new best friend!
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    5) Collect away!

WOW. It was that easy! And this is not part of the new organizer tools because??????????????
  • Options
    huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    The thing is, this is taking you back to the old "legacy" Smugmug.
    I still have this option because I did not "Reveal" my new site, I am still using the new one, with option to go back to old one, which is very useful.
    So, most likely this will be removed if Smugmug decides to just thrash the old codes and get rid of legacy version.
    My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    I revealed a while ago and use this method to bulk collect. Who knows for how long...
  • Options
    sisi74sisi74 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    You're not missing a thing, that does appear be how they implement that feature. I find this to be annoying, clunky, and poorly thought out. I often collect multiple photos from one gallery into others. On legacy it was a breeze to hit the Collect Photos feature, click on all the ones I want, pick a destination, and then hit save. It didn't take a lot of time and was easy. Now, you have to open each image up in the light box and do them one at time! Thanks for making more work for me...

Also, if you deleted a collected photo from the gallery where the copy was placed, it used to just be deleted from that gallery. Now when you delete a photo from the copied to gallery, it also deletes the original image in its gallery! Brilliant! really...

omg!? what? .. that's good to know!!
    I do hope they adjust all these issues soon. nobody wants to go backwards in user experience and navigation optimization.

- sirin
    www.sirinsamman.com
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2013
    I've been using this hack:
    picker.mg?tool=collect
    as written above.

I just discovered to my dismay that using this method will not work if you're trying to collect to a gallery made on the NEW site. They do no appear in the "Display in the following gallery" dropdown menu.

Bummer...
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I've been using this hack: as written above.

I just discovered to my dismay that using this method will not work if you're trying to collect to a gallery made on the NEW site. They do no appear in the "Display in the following gallery" dropdown menu.
    Check this:
    I didn't realize there was even a bulk collecting tool in legacy. I actually hired a company to create one for me, but they stopped halfway through testing it. It seemed to work, but I don't know under what cases it might not. My tool used the API, and I'm not sure if that's working either anymore as a lot of my other applications have stopped.

However, all this being said, if someone wants to try it, PM me and I'll send you the link. It was a true bulk collector--you tell it the source gallery and destination and it collected them all!
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2013
    Another "vote" to restore bulk collecting.
    I, too, was dismayed to discover that the functionality of "bulk collecting" (selecting multiple thumbnails from a single gallery page for inclusion in another gallery) has been overlooked or perhaps intentionally left out of the New Smug format. The process off individually selecting an image to open it, then "share" it, then hit "collect", then choose a destination gallery, etc. etc. is very time consuming.

I haven't tried the "Smart" approach yet (using an otherwise useless keyword...like "CollectThisImage"... which must first be attached to the desired images before "collection" can proceed) but that, too, strikes me as being a far-less-than optimal technique to accomplish the end goal. It may be my only viable option today, but hopefully there's an ongoing effort in place to rectify this sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    migreenmigreen Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Because of a period of high sales and exhibition activity, I've been off dgrin for a while. But in the last week, I needed (again) to do some collecting, and once again i was reminded HOW HORRIBLY INCONVENIENT the collection process is now that bulk collecting is gone.
    And evidently fixing this problem is not a high SM priority, since its not yet fixed !

This is one problem that causes me, every time I encounter it, to again consider a switch.

The temporary keyword kludge does not work for me, and frankly, should not be necessary.

Please . . ..
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    migreen wrote: »
    Because of a period of high sales and exhibition activity, I've been off dgrin for a while. But in the last week, I needed (again) to do some collecting, and once again i was reminded HOW HORRIBLY INCONVENIENT the collection process is now that bulk collecting is gone.
    And evidently fixing this problem is not a high SM priority, since its not yet fixed !

This is one problem that causes me, every time I encounter it, to again consider a switch.

The temporary keyword kludge does not work for me, and frankly, should not be necessary.

Please . . ..

I'm sorry, I obviously can't help with the bulk collecting problem.
    But a recent excellent workaround for keywords can be found here, see especially Lamah's code:
    http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Keyword-limit
    and discussion:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237620&page=2
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    Good lord ... this is a nightmare. Is it true that I can no longer copy virtual copies of a photo from gallery to the next?

If I want several photos that I recently took to appear in a different gallery I have to upload them to that gallery?

Am I understanding correctly that this functionality has been removed?
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2013
    Good lord ... this is a nightmare. Is it true that I can no longer copy virtual copies of a photo from gallery to the next?

If I want several photos that I recently took to appear in a different gallery I have to upload them to that gallery?

Am I understanding correctly that this functionality has been removed?

No. It still works. It's under the share menu now. And once you select a gallery to collect photos to, it remembers it until you view a different gallery. As far as I know, it can't be done from the organizer which would have been the obvious place to look for this feature. Can't figure out how they choose what features go where anymore. But at least it's easily accessible.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    pilotdave wrote: »
    No. It still works. It's under the share menu now. And once you select a gallery to collect photos to, it remembers it until you view a different gallery. As far as I know, it can't be done from the organizer which would have been the obvious place to look for this feature. Can't figure out how they choose what features go where anymore. But at least it's easily accessible.

Dave

Thank you, Pilotdave.

I'm glad my understanding was imperfect.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    I'd like to ammend my last comment. It appears that there is no way to do bulk collecting. The only way to collect photos from one gallery to the next is painstakingly, one at a time. Goodness, I have close to a thousand in my New Photos and Recent Additions gallery that need to be collected in other galleries.

Please, Smugmug, get BULK COLLECTING fixed. This is painful.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2014
    I'd like to ammend my last comment. It appears that there is no way to do bulk collecting. The only way to collect photos from one gallery to the next is painstakingly, one at a time.
    Not so. There IS a way. There is a working bulk-collecting method detailed in post #33 of this very thread. deal.gif
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Not so. There IS a way. There is a working bulk-collecting method detailed in post #33 of this very thread. deal.gif

But in #40, Darter2 states that workaround does NOT work with the new SM galleries, only Legacy....

Anyway I too agree to bring this back! How it's set up in the new SM lengthens my workflow instead of streamlining it. Not a good thing at all.... I tried using it for a brief moment and gave up as I had more important things to do with my new site. And it would be quicker just to upload "duplicates" to the galleries I want.
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    beardedgit: I don't believe this works in new smugmug.

Good lord, what a pain in the butt to have to do this one-by-one, reloading the page after each "collect."
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    beardedgit: I don't believe this works in new smugmug.

Good lord, what a pain in the butt to have to do this one-by-one, reloading the page after each "collect."
    Well I just tried it and it worked a treat. Newly-created gallery of collected pics at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Collecting-demo
    Are you sure that you're following all of the instructions?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    FWIW, here's a quick 'n dirty videocap of how it's done: http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Everything-else/General/Miscellaneous-2/i-Hvb2FQX/A
  • Options
    skbryanskbryan Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2014
    Beardedgit, is there a way to do a bulk copy along the same lines? Thank you.

**Added - Well I just changed picker.mg?tool=collect to picker.mg?tool=copy and it worked. I do wish I could copy an entire Gallery rather than creating another Gallery and then collecting or copying the photos in.

Also, when I was going through the motions of copying/collecting, there is a SmugMug preview folder and my Portfolio folder. I couldn't copy or collect my images in the Portfolio folder, but I could in the Smugmug Preview folder. Are they one in the same? Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Providing an easy link to the old Bulk Collect tool is now a feature of my SmugMug extension for Chrome:

i-j2XZSVw-XL.jpg

You can install it from this page:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Hi Nicholas,

Can you check your version control? I've just used the link above to install the latest and it's gone down from 0.2.0 to 0.1.9 and it's not displaying as per your screenshot above.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Odd, maybe I uploaded the old revision by mistake. I've reuploaded it, so please try this link:

http://chrome.sherlockphotography.org/smugmug/0.2.1/smugmug.crx?1

EDIT: If you were running the 0.2.0 beta you might have to remove that before installing.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    I was running 0.2.0 beta and did remove it first headscratch.gif

Anyway, it's all sorted now - the download from your latest link did the trick, it's showing 0.2.1 and it's doing what it says on the tin, so thanks for that thumb.gif

One minor thing... is there a chance that the drop-down (the one that drops when clicking the "SM") can be made to close after an option is chosen, please? I'm not familiar with Chrome, is there a setting that I should be using for this?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Hm, I tried but I didn't manage to replicate that. What operating system? Are you middle or left clicking on the link? Which link are you clicking?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    I'm on XP SP3, Chrome up-to-date.

I left-click the "SM" in the address-bar of the Gallery window, this makes the drop-down... er... drop down.
    I left-click "Collect Photos" and then the "collect" window opens in a new tab, and the drop-down stays dropped down in that new tab.
    To get rid of the drop-down I have to go back to the original tab and left-click the "SM" in the address-bar again to toggle it off. There's no "SM" in the address-bar of the "collect" page, so I can't toggle it off from there.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Ah okay, I should be able to test that out on Windows in a few days.

In the meantime, make sure you don't have any extensions installed which affect the way that tabs open (I guess you probably don't, though).