Options

Question about Right Click Protection/Google Image Search

Comments

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Dang! And I used to be a programmer in another life - all the way down to Assembly Language (anyone even know what that was?)!:D
    Getting 2280 images...all mine! Now for the other 18,000+ images!
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Wow, I did that Site search. If I used my Lutzr2.smugmug I got only two old thumbnails from my old site. If I use my custom domain I got a little over 400. A lot of them were original aspect ratio, small versions I'd embedded in Blogger. The rest were tiny square thumbs from the old site.

Now to sort out how to get more on there...
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    This has been a great thread...thank you all for the help! More to come from everyone, I am sure.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Now to sort out how to get more on there...

You appear to have done a great job so far as I can see. Everything is well structured and your blog embeds lots of images from your site, it's great. Personally I love the 'http://www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/WedServ' page as that is exactly what I would want to see if I was hunting for a wedding photographer. If I were going to tweak then you could add your address at the bottom of a lot of pages as I couldn't easily find it and Google likes to geolocate for some searches. So, you could change the 'anchor text' on 'My Photography Site' in your forum sig to something more descriptive e.g. 'Wedding photography in Wisconcin' and link to your wedding page as above. Google will see the anchor text, will check out the landing page and see that it matches and give you an extra point or two. 'My Photography Site' is a bit too general so no points there.

It's a bit like the 'how fast do I need to go to outrun a bear?' question - the answer is 'only faster than you' :). With Google you need to do lots of small stuff but not it all, just more than the next guy if you want your photos to show up before theirs. You don't appear to have missed much though (nice outgoing links and maps on your blog)

Rich

ps. love the rounded corners. May have to go for that as well

edit: thinking about it on the bike this morning I realised that with the new SM you should even be able to add a specific footer to the bottom of only the wedding gallery pages with something like 'Wedding photograph in Wisconsin - read more about what happens on the day here' with a link to your sales pitch. That way you are shortening the path between a Google search visitor and them booking you and also adding internal links on your site which is yet another good thing.

I'm going to have to play a bit more with the possibilities I see.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Those are ALL good ideas! I'll be implementing them ASAP! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    @Darter02 - close but not quite right yet. I would make the whole line the anchor text rather than just 'My Wedding Services'. What you have is better but best is to get the words 'wedding photographer wisconsin inside of the link text.

Just as a check I tried typing in the phrase 'wedding photographer brussels' to see what came up. Top of the list was someone who on their landing page included the words 'Brussels, Belgium and Wedding' right near the top of the page where it could be easily read. On most of his other pages he was sure to try and include the word Brussels somewhere. The same was true of the second link that I found. They had Brussels, Belgium and photography in a nicely written paragraph at the top of the page

I see you've used a very clever google location link on your footer which I've always wanted to try - nice idea

It's interesting stuff
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Due to the tips I just received I was doing some research, and decided to check Google search results for wedding photographers in my area. I hadn't actually done that in a long while.

Anyway, I noticed a lot of the other shooters had links to G+ pages included automatically. Now, I already had a Places (now called Local) page. I also had my own, personal, G+ page. I did a little research and found this great article on merging your Local & G+ Business Pages. I have created mine, and now just have to wait until I get my verification code. Once entered they auto merge.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    edit: thinking about it on the bike this morning I realised that with the new SM you should even be able to add a specific footer to the bottom of only the wedding gallery pages ....
    Have you figured out a way to add something like this to a specific area of your site? Without having to
    add it to every individual page? I have found no way yet to do simple things like change a banner of a
    whole folder/category like weddings and have it flow down to sub-folders and galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Sorry, testing my signature line with a link to my site - one more external link for Google to find!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Have you figured out a way to add something like this to a specific area of your site? Without having to
    add it to every individual page?

No, you are unfortunately correct (just got home and tried it). I had hoped that it would flow down from a folder to galleries underneath but it doesn't - it just stays with that one folder. A shame really as that would be quite nice

Rich
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Troup Nightingale - Photographer in the Southeastern United States http://www.southeasternphotography.com

Nice, but as I understand it Google will like you better if you use 'Troup Nightingale - Photographer in the Southeastern United States' as the anchor text for your link as Darter02 has done. However the anchor text isn't hugely specific so it may not help that much.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Trying to get the sig to work correctly, but not getting there. Been viewing source and do not see what i am doing wrong....tried replacing _blank of the target= and it still does not work when I use the Preview Signature button. Been deleting my attempts so as not to clog up this thread with my signature problem. I thought this was going to be easy...missing something simple.

Here are the signature permissions:
    Signature Permissions
    Allow Basic BB Code Yes
    Allow Color BB Code No
    Allow Size BB Code Yes
    Allow Font BB Code No
    Allow Alignment BB Code Yes
    Allow List BB Code Yes
    Allow Link BB Code Yes
    Allow HTML No
    Allow Image BB Code No
    Allow Code BB Code Yes
    Allow PHP BB Code Yes
    Allow HTML BB Code Yes
    Allow Quote BB Code Yes
    Allow Smilies No
    Can Upload Images for Signature No
    Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Trying to get the sig to work correctly, but not getting there. Been viewing source and do not see what i am doing wrong....tried replacing _blank of the target= and it still does not work when I use the Preview Signature button. Been deleting my attempts so as not to clog up this thread with my signature problem. I thought this was going to be easy...missing something simple.

Here are the signature permissions:
    Signature Permissions
    Allow Basic BB Code Yes
    Allow Color BB Code No
    Allow Size BB Code Yes
    Allow Font BB Code No
    Allow Alignment BB Code Yes
    Allow List BB Code Yes
    Allow Link BB Code Yes
    Allow HTML No
    Allow Image BB Code No
    Allow Code BB Code Yes
    Allow PHP BB Code Yes
    Allow HTML BB Code Yes
    Allow Quote BB Code Yes
    Allow Smilies No
    Can Upload Images for Signature No
    Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No
    Your target is wrong.

<a href="http://www.southeasternphotography.com&quot; target="blank">Troup Nightingale - Photographer in the Southeastern United States"</a>
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Your Connection Refused - are we having fun yet:D
    Yes because I need to apply another user agent to a spider, like google image bot. Otherwise SM robots.txt don't let me in. Try on my site.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Trying to get the sig to work correctly, but not getting there

I don't know what you are doing wrong but I have exactly the same set of permissions. The process I follow is

1. Go to edit signature in my profile
    2. Type my text e.g. 'Troup nightingale'
    3. Select all of the text 'Troup nightingale'
    4. Click on the insert link icon (looks like a world with a bit of chain)
    5. Insert the URL I want to go to

in the signature editor I then see something like this
    [HTML][URL]="http://photos.miseast.org/NorthKorea"]Help for North Korea[/URL][/HTML]

Hope that works for you

Rich
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    Your target is wrong.

<a href="http://www.southeasternphotography.com&quot; target="blank">Troup Nightingale - Photographer in the Southeastern United States"</a>
    Or use this string [PHP]Troup Nightingale - Photographer in the Southeastern United States[/PHP]
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    regards,
    Jörg
    My Smugmug | My Fineart

Jörg - good start but is it not possible to be a bit more descriptive than 'My Smugmug'? Even 'photographs by jörg e. lingnau' would be better in this case I feel
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Jörg - good start but is it not possible to be a bit more descriptive than 'My Smugmug'? Even 'photographs by jörg e. lingnau' would be better in this case I feel
    I know, but not now ;) I had all this some years ago, it helps when writing in here, for which I hope is no daily need soon, and is just linking: good for google web search.
    Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    good for google web search.
    And google image search as far as I can see but go for it, in the end none of us really know - we can just go by the bits and pieces we read here and there
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    So many questions :) - let's see what I can manage...

Go to images.google.com and type in
    site:photos.miseast.org

(or for you
    site:joerglingnau.smugmug.com

). Then if you get any images scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on 'Switch to basic version'. Then you will see the number of images that GIS has stored for you. Note that many of them are unfortunately the thumbnails but that sees to be improving daily.
    There are none for me.

Okay I see. I advised that in an other context last week to Trouper I guess. What you do is asking Google about any information it has for your site. And it shows the images linked by the web search and the one from GIS.

The google image bot is a different one than for web - it have to be because they have different goals and by this a need for different algorithms.

For GIS ~ 400-500 are shown, if you switch to the basic version, 4.110, this is because your websites are nicely linked (in a google sense). photos.miseast.org <-> www.miseast.org <-> miseast.smugmug.com <-> photos.miseast.org
    Test it with test:domain
    I believe what you get is an aggregated view.

All your sites have different IPs, the 2nd a danish meta description and different sitemap.xml, so it is an independent one and the others are smugmug hosted, either two domain pointing to the same content or physical different Sites?

Try the same with site:miseast.smugmug.com and switch to "basis" view (in german its called "old version") and you will get 145 images only.

Interesting also is, that most image of the site search are the first one which shows up when I approach the site. The others in a gallery are often not indexed.
    Try "earthquake site: photos.miseast.org" and check GIS. The first one is the only one from this gallery. So has been GIS there or not and if, what about the other?

If I do a "site:" search for my finart america site I get LESS images shown than by a search for "jörg lingnau mantis fineart" in GIS.
    I believe this is, because my fineart domain is not linked much, but GIS was there.

I need to get a spider where I can change the user agent, to see what SM really let GIS see. At the moment I am always refused, because of their strict robots.txt.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Got it guys!!! Thanks! used the highlight area and press world. Tried to give each item an url, but was too many characters. It's a bit more descriptive now, don't you think? Tried going to Organize and be sure the same items were on the meta table for the upper level (mysite.com) but could not find it. I can put meta data in for each Folder, but no upper level like we have in legacy. What did I miss? Guess this thread is still helpful for GIS or plain Google searchesmwink.gif

Hmmm, should I make the whole line a link to mysite.com?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Got it guys!!! Thanks! used the highlight area and press world. Tried to give each item an url, but was too many characters. It's a bit more descriptive now, don't you think? Tried going to Organize and be sure the same items were on the meta table for the upper level (mysite.com) but could not find it. I can put meta data in for each Folder, but no upper level like we have in legacy. What did I miss? Guess this thread is still helpful for GIS or plain Google searchesmwink.gif

;) The Link ends at Georgia ... Mate, you don't have to put all your 1.001+ keywords in your signature.

ps
    your write your signature (not that long)
    your mark it and click the link icon in the top bar. apply your URL/domainname
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    +2000:D

Ok, so maybe this is better for the signature.

I will probably go back and delete most of the threads of mine dealing with the signature. The "new" signature now populates my previous posts, so no one would no what I was talking about. Good thing to do?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    +2000:D

Ok, so maybe this is better for the signature.
    Maybe, up to you ;)
    I will probably go back and delete most of the threads of mine dealing with the signature. The "new" signature now populates my previous posts, so no one would no what I was talking about. Good thing to do?
    Let it be. Deleting posts would distract the whole thread and consider the replies with quotes you got. They still will be seen.
    Whatever the changes are you were doing to your signature, only the last "new" signature will be visible also on all older posts of yours at the moment you save it.
    Its just fine, don't worry.

EDIT
    now a new signature appears - with three links to the same site. Also okay ;)
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013

Personally I would or link to different parts of your site
    And it shows the images linked by the web search and the one from GIS

Switching to basic version is still showing you the results from GIS - just the old version of GIS. Those 4110 images are the images in GIS. For the web it is 14,900 pages.

You're right about that interlinking and I'm sure it's helping. However we now have a couple of hundred links from other places that have found our images and linked to us and I suspect that they are way more important
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Switching to basic version is still showing you the results from GIS - just the old version of GIS. Those 4110 images are the images in GIS.
    I doubt this. So what about the 4oo+ images / hits only for your site when in GIS? Why would there be a need to go back to the "old version" to get more results than GIS is showing?
    For the web it is 14,900 pages.
    I would "translate" this to "For the web there are 14,900 LINKS including the indexed images of those links". IMHO.

ps
    I had zero, nada, ingen sales here in 2009-2012. Waisted 130€ / every year. But I had some sales (considering that I have not the WOW images) via fineart without the need to care for linking or a signature etc. pp. in the same period.
    Of course this is not related to GIS - but I strongly believe the SEO thing populated by SM (at least in the past) is quite a joke.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    I doubt this. So what about the 4oo+ images / hits only for your site when in GIS? Why would there be a need to go back to the "old version" to get more results than GIS is showing?

I think you are wrong in this case. Before GIS changed it's user interface we had around 12,000 images indexed. That number has fallen at some point but I do believe it is 4000. This is something that I keep an eye on.
    Why would there be a need to go back to the "old version" to get more results than GIS is showing?

The old version gives you a nice total. I can't find that as easily in the new interface
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    The old version gives you a nice total. I can't find that as easily in the new interface
    Okay. Nice total of what?

Once again asked: what about the 4oo+ images / hits only for your site when in GIS?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Okay. Nice total of what?

Once again asked: what about the 4oo+ images / hits only for your site when in GIS?

I don't see where you are getting the 400+ number from unless you are just estimating what you are seeing on the page. By switching to 'basic view' you get back to the old version of GIS which gives you a total number. As far as I can see it is just the same GIS but with a different interface. If you do search for something like 'landscapes' in both interfaces you get the same images in the same order appearing. I think there is some confusion here. As far as I can see when in GIS I have 4000 odd images today
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Andy? Not yet.

Ask me what? ear.gif