Options

New to Smugmug but why do I have Legacy?

gotdennygotdenny Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Just got my first smugmug page this week. I have been banging head on desk looking for new designs and the "customize" button. Since I never HAD a smug before, I didn't know what the legacy looked like. Was I supposed to get the new version or do I have to wait? I tried the instructions for migration and pop up said come back Aug 19th. .. am I on the right track or missing something.
www.dennybettsphotography.com
Cameras and women. Push the wrong button and its not a pretty picture.

Comments

• Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    gotdenny wrote: »
    Just got my first smugmug page this week. I have been banging head on desk looking for new designs and the "customize" button. Since I never HAD a smug before, I didn't know what the legacy looked like. Was I supposed to get the new version or do I have to wait? I tried the instructions for migration and pop up said come back Aug 19th. .. am I on the right track or missing something.
    www.dennybettsphotography.com

bang.gif

That didn't help much did it?rolleyes1.gif

OK I'll be serious. What instructions did you get when you signed up? The new Smug is available now. Forget the legacy you will never see it.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    bang.gif

That didn't help much did it?rolleyes1.gif

OK I'll be serious. What instructions did you get when you signed up? The new Smug is available now. Forget the legacy you will never see it.

I just followed the prompts and never saw an option for the ready made "new designs". I didn't know at the time it WASNT the new.. I cant forget what I didn't think I had..lol .. if that makes sense
    I emailed the Help and asked why no designs and no "customize" button.. all I have is the Easy Customize option which has no "designs".. just options for things on home page etc.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    I just followed the prompts and never saw an option for the ready made "new designs". I didn't know at the time it WASNT the new.. I cant forget what I didn't think I had..lol .. if that makes sense
    I emailed the Help and asked why no designs and no "customize" button.. all I have is the Easy Customize option which has no "designs".. just options for things on home page etc.

Has the Helpdesk replied to your email? If not, email them again.

If you go into easy customize what does it do?
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Has the Helpdesk replied to your email? If not, email them again.

If you go into easy customize what does it do?

Easy customize gives me a menu of Basic Appearance, Browser, Header, Background... and etc.. no ready made "designs".. I can change the things that are on my current page, but basically have the choice of a slide show, one image, or the smug mug theme..
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Easy customize gives me a menu of Basic Appearance, Browser, Header, Background... and etc.. no ready made "designs".. I can change the things that are on my current page, but basically have the choice of a slide show, one image, or the smug mug theme..

and no reply from help desk yet.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    and no reply from help desk yet.

There is a message on the help centre saying they are not responding within the hour but to allow 24 hours. http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    There was a thread from Baldy saying that they had paused migrations for 10 days to allow the systems and support desk to catch up. See thread Pausing migrations.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    There was a thread from Baldy saying that they had paused migrations for 10 days to allow the systems and support desk to catch up. See thread Pausing migrations.

--- Denise

Not sure I understand that one. Gotdenny is a new user so all he is seeing is legacy. But what's the point in him doing anything there when he will only have to change it? Or is that wrong?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 11, 2013
    Not sure I understand that one. Gotdenny is a new user so all he is seeing is legacy. But what's the point in him doing anything there when he will only have to change it? Or is that wrong?
    I don't know the answer to that - I assume smug stopped allowing new access to the new smugmug as opposed to just stopping migrations. Hopefully someone from SmugMug will comment here since as customers ourselves we are just making assumptions.

Gotdenny -
    I'd recommend not doing any customization in legacy smug. Use the time to load some galleries and think through your folder structure. Note that in the old smug you only had 3 levels, category > subcategory > gallery. In the new smug categories and subcategories become folders, and there are more levels available.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013

Gotdenny -
    I'd recommend not doing any customization in legacy smug. Use the time to load some galleries and think through your folder structure. Note that in the old smug you only had 3 levels, category > subcategory > gallery. In the new smug categories and subcategories become folders, and there are more levels available.

--- Denise

Yes, and my apologies to gotdenny for saying he'd never see legacy. I was clearly wrong on that one.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    thanks to all! I think you figured it out.. and no reply yet from SM, so you all have saved me some head banging . I will take your advice and spend the time uploading and even better, shooting new stuff.. something I was missing while trying to find these elusive new designs and the "customize" button..lol
    It would have been nice to get a "Welcome to Smugmug" message with an explanation, instead of the video telling me about all the features (the ones I don't have yet) and how easy it is to create a unique .....blah blah.. anyway, I had nothing before, I have something now, and it will be something better soon.. Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    It would have been nice to get a "Welcome to Smugmug" message with an explanation

Welcome to SmugLand!!! awesome-glitter-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Welcome to SmugLand!!! awesome-glitter-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif
    There!!! that's all I wanted!! wings.gifbarbwings.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Update, I heard from Smug, this was the reply.
    You can migrate to the New SmugMug by going here:
    http://dennybetts.smugmug.com/migration

I had already been there, and the link says they are in a holding pattern.. so apparently new subscribers are starting out as legacy subscribers for the time being.. arr.. No explanation as to why, but I suppose he is busy..lol
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Update, I heard from Smug, this was the reply.
    You can migrate to the New SmugMug by going here:
    http://dennybetts.smugmug.com/migration

I had already been there, and the link says they are in a holding pattern.. so apparently new subscribers are starting out as legacy subscribers for the time being.. arr.. No explanation as to why, but I suppose he is busy..lol

Oooo, you don't wanna go there - that's a bad, bad place. Nasty stuff...
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Hi Denny,

You started your trial in early July, so you were on Legacy SmugMug. I can migrate you over now if you wish. Just give me permission and I am on it :)

Michael
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Denny,

You started your trial in early July, so you were on Legacy SmugMug. I can migrate you over now if you wish. Just give me permission and I am on it :)

Michael

Michael, that would be great! You have my okee dokee to migrate me.. thanks a lot!
    Denny
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Well, I got all excited, but still no progress..

www.dennybetts.smugmug.com