Options

Can I still have Vanity URLs?

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited August 19, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I used vanity URLs for my really big clients. They URL would take them to an Event that held all the unlisted galleries I had made for them over the years.

I liked how the URL make it look like it was one of my pages and how I didn't have to make the galleries public.

Is there a way I can continue to do this?

And obviously this is now broken. I just had a client ask me how to get to their pictures. I totally forgot to think about this when I unveiled.

thanks!
Trish

Comments

• Options
    edited August 16, 2013
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Why not create this as a Folder? Or as a Page at the root level?
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    spider-t wrote: »
    I used vanity URLs for my really big clients. They URL would take them to an Event that held all the unlisted galleries I had made for them over the years.

I liked how the URL make it look like it was one of my pages and how I didn't have to make the galleries public.

Is there a way I can continue to do this?

And obviously this is now broken. I just had a client ask me how to get to their pictures. I totally forgot to think about this when I unveiled.

thanks!
    Trish

FYI... This has been added as a feature request:
    Restore Vanity URLs
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks PBolchover,

The galleries are all in a folder. But the galleries are unlisted. So Events is the only way I know how to share multiple unlisted galleries at a single link. And the event links are ugly and hard to remember. So I have been using vanity urls.

Trish
    PBolchover wrote: »
    Why not create this as a Folder? Or as a Page at the root level?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks Jan. I added my $.02 to that discussion.
    BigRed wrote: »
    FYI... This has been added as a feature request:
    Restore Vanity URLs
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    As a short-term solution, I suggest creating a "page" in the Vanity URL location, with a single photo that links to the Event URL. (Yes, it means 1 extra click, but it is better than nothing.)
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    thanks PBolchover. thanks for the idea. i'm just going to use bit.ly for now. it's not so much the extra click for my clients, but the extra work on my end, and all the pages I'll need to create and maintain. i shoot a lot of events, and delivering is the least fun part of the job, so i like to streamline that as much as possible.

but for someone with fewer events to post, that sounds like a perfect bandaid.

:-)
    PBolchover wrote: »
    As a short-term solution, I suggest creating a "page" in the Vanity URL location, with a single photo that links to the Event URL. (Yes, it means 1 extra click, but it is better than nothing.)