Options

Ok, bring it on: First Wedding tips

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 10, 2013 in Weddings
Yes, many older threads on this subject, but since there hasn't been one of these in a while...... :D
I have resisted weddings since forever but, as many of you know, I have been prodded, nagged and cajoled into accepting one for a friend next month.

So.... I'd love to hear your 1 (or 5 or 10) MOST important tip(s) for a first-timer.

I have fast glass, an experienced co-shooter (so, so, SO grateful :bow :lust), a chance to attend the rehearsal, and have made sure the photographer contract includes food, parking and dedicated-time-with-bride-and-groom clauses. And I have comfortable shoes :giggle What other things are MUSTS in your opinion?

Looking forward to your answers :)

Comments

• Options
    jmunroejmunroe Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2013
    A second camera on you ready to go at all times.

A refresh of batteries (camera and flashes) before each important part begins.
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I don't know squat about wedding's but when our out to shoot a bunch of photo's carry a spare memory card. I was out in the field doing dogs last fall and filled up a memory card. Lucky I carried a spare with me and a spare battery for your camera.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Only one spare card?! lol (Don, I ALWAYS have extra cards with me - belt and braces!!) Actually, that's a good point: what do y'all consider a reasonable amount of memory? Obviously, this will depend on camera/number of shots (so do indicate which and how many are reflected in your answer), but would be interested. I own about 80g worth of cards, and will probably invest in some extras

Great tip on refreshing batteries BEFORE necessary. thumb.gif Haven't decided if I'll use my 7d as a 2nd body or rent a 5dIII; probably the latter, as while I love my 5dII, it can be a pain to focus quickly in low light (which I know we will have - I know the venue, which is a GORGEOUS - but dark - church)

Keep 'em coming, guys!!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Uhm.... as to how much memory.... I wear a black rapid strap with the two zipper compartments that fit a lot of memory cards. I usually carry about 150 gigs, but that is overkill. I usually use about 1/3 of it, but at least I am prepared. (5DIII) Best part of 5DIII is that backup SD slot. I would rent one just for that. I burn L JPEGs simultaneously with my raws, so that way if I loose a memory card, I am not out completely. (And yes, it has happened... ouch. Dropped one in a snowbank, never to be seen again.)

You are going to rock this!
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I would have gone over the venue or venues to have it clear in my mind what shots i would take and where the light is at the time of the wedding. things happen quickly at a wedding so have your shots planned ask the couple if there are any specials best to plan ahead for these rather than have them sprung on you during the day. i always have a backup plan for bad weather. good luck
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    thumb.gif I know the church (I've sung there) and will be attending the rehearsal; I'll be doing a reccie of the reception venue, too (I know the area, but not the actual restaurant).

There's another specific question: we'll be hitting the reception at just about high noon (ugh). It's by the water, and I know the bride specifically wants some shots there - is it just a case of look for shade and hope for the best? Unless it's overcast, I know it will be very harsh light down there. Extra tips for dealing with the WORST kind of light?
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Diva, my first wedding as the primary felt like a roller coaster ride -- slowly creeping up the first hill and then a huge "whoosh" -- you better be strapped in! Still does. So, be ready for that feeling.

My thoughts aren't so much on gear and stuff as they are on nuts and bolts of a wedding day.

Spend time with your client on a timeline of the entire day -- where you will be at all times and where you will go for creative shots (and have backup locations in case of rain or if you show up and can't access the planned area). This just happened to us a few weeks ago, arrived at a planned location only to be greeted by yellow caution tape and a security guard who wouldn't allow us into a public river front area because they were having a fireworks display that night - being able to effortlessly move to "Plan B" was huge.

Get with DJ (or whoever is running the show) as soon as you get to reception to get the scoop and introduce yourself. Pays to make friends and these folks can work you over or really help you do your job.

BTW, during the ceremony, use the 5DIII's "silent shutter" mode. Love it!

Good luck, you will do a great job.
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Some things to consider young grasshopper!

1. Quadruple check your equipment night before and day of.
    2. Make sure everything is charged, extra batteries, extra CF cards, etc.
    3. If you have any kind of backup device or a laptop to backup images, it's nice to bring it to have piece of mind.
    4. Go in there happy and confident, no matter what the circumstances are.
    5. Any kind of religious ceremony, make sure you introduce yourself to the priest/rabbi/etc. and ask about where you can shoot, if you can use a flash (if you need one for the circumstances), etc.
    6. Introduce yourself to the DJs, videographer, etc. It's so important to do this, so you can all communicate effectively with each other.
    7. If you see something you'd like to try, do it. If you are unsure if the couple is willing, try to convince them about the sheer epicness of said shot!
    8. Kindly let the couple know when you're leaving and ask them if they would like particular shots.
    9. Mingle with the famlies, get them to laugh and smile. They will remember you.
    10. Thank the couple after the wedding, and walk out of there knowing you kicked butt!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    hehe..I'd love to give some creative advice but I pretty much have the feeling any advice will be forgotten as you will likely be on the hairy edge of feeling overwhelmed most of the day! it's pretty unavoidable in your 1st wedding no matter what or how you prepare. MY ADVICE though is this..YOU are the HIRED photogrpaher. Don't lose control..boss people around with a smile and they will do what you say. If you need to get a shot then tell your subjects what to do and tell the guest to give you some room. Don't worry about interrupting folks..it will be controlled chaos so STAY in charge.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    PS. Being, um, assertive usually not too much trouble rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif AND the "stage manager" for the day is another singer friend who I know and have worked with before, so we "speak the same language" as it were, which I'm hoping may make it a little easier! At least I have a point of contact (and I've already written to her asking for the timetable for the day, and to ensure there's sufficient time after the ceremony at the church for formals AND time for B/G portraits.) Here's hoping............
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    One of the best tips that I got when I did my first shoot this past weekend... bring a change of shirt. I doubted that one... but halfway through, both the main shooter and I were sweaty and gross. The freshen up did wonders! :) Not really a technical tip, but there you go...
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    For me, I like to be able to contain 3,000-5,000 images for a decent sized wedding day. RAW, of course.

The biggest advice I can give, honestly? Get your ass to OTHER weddings, ASAP! Everybody talks about all the small details that could go wrong, the stuff to remember, the way to act, etc...

That's all well and good, but the bottom line is that you NEED EXPERIENCE.

If you have already 2nd shot a lot of weddings, then you're fine. Just take the lead role, and do your thing!

However if you have only ever been to one or two weddings in a semi-professional capacity, you need to get to a wedding pronto and pay very, very close attention to what the lead pro shooter is doing the entire day. That, and simply practice being in that environment, rolling with the punches, seizing opportunities, thinking creatively under pressure, etc. etc...

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    rolleyes1.gif Matt, you raise an excellent point and actually hit.on one of the things I'm worried about - I haven't been to a wedding as a guest in a long time, so I DON'T feel like I have a frame of reference.... (how do I find one to go to?!) That's also why I'm definitely attending the rehearsal..... thumb.gif

great tip, Pedal - I always get sticky when I shoot, so that's a great idea. speaking of clothes, one more specific Q: gals, what are you doing for pockets? I have loads of decent enough black clothes, but few with pockets. do you resort to those vests, or just carry lensbags/slings?

ETA: I have of course been to weddings, and sung quite a few too! But not in some time (and I was paying zero attention to the photographers then :D)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gifQ: gals, what are you doing for pockets? I have loads of decent enough black clothes, but few with pockets. do you resort to those vests, or just carry lensbags/slings?

For me, it's all about the belt with a "Waist Shooter" bag from (my company) Undfind. Yes, I'm pushing my own thing kinda, but honestly I cannot live without it! That plus a Spider Holster system, if you are okay with looking really "tactical"... The only thing I need actual pockets for are my cell phone and my ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket, for memory cards. I don't trust either of those things to external bags.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Your answer to the Shootsac - neat product, Matt, and some super-nice designs. Have been intrigued by these for ages - nice to know there's some product choice on these! That said, I know me and even though I've shot with bags of varying kinds, I think I need pockets, especially this first time out. I'm a clutz when I get involved in what I'm doing, and pockets keep things from swinging around too much. Will I look a complete and utter wannabe tool if I go for a photo-vest? (ie does ANYBODY wear them, or only those who Want To Look Like A Photographer?)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited August 19, 2013
    The shot list is the first thing to stress. You need to organize your time extremely carefully so knowing which shots are required for the:

"Establish" shots (basically those images portraying the location), "getting ready", VIPs, formals, reception and traditional "must haves", etc.

... knowing all of these things will help to keep you organized and on-track. Make a few copies of the shot list and recruit someone familiar with the wedding party to help identify and round up the major players. (The mother of the groom is generally willing to help and often available.)

Review the shot list against chimping the camera to make certain that you have all of the critical images. (Your contract should stipulate and indemnify you for forgetting and/or losing all but the most critical images, which should all be equally covered by the second photographer when available.) You may also wish to review everything critical and captured with the bride and groom, so that everyone is clear what you have.

At the rehearsal, take pictures. It helps to review these images later to plan your movement and blocking and to identify problems. Even with venues that I am familiar with, I shoot these "previews" for later review. Plus each wedding is different, so some traditions will change. Sometimes these changes affect your shooting pattern.

The point "michaelglenn" made about making friends with the DJ is spot on. At the reception the DJ is often the person orchestrating the event. Pay attention to "every" announcement. Also contact the reception room/venue staff and get names in case you need to get help there. The DJ will have thousands of dollars in equipment, and you can often stow extra bags close to their stuff (out of the way but handy enough).

Make sure that you eat at the same time as the bride and groom. If the bride and groom have not made that arrangement, contact the wait staff directly yourself. Eat lightly and "low residue". You don't want to risk stomach upset. Some "Tums" or generic substitute are a permanent part of my kit.

Give business cards to everyone. You never know when that might pay dividends.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Your answer to the Shootsac - neat product, Matt, and some super-nice designs. Have been intrigued by these for ages - nice to know there's some product choice on these! That said, I know me and even though I've shot with bags of varying kinds, I think I need pockets, especially this first time out. I'm a clutz when I get involved in what I'm doing, and pockets keep things from swinging around too much. Will I look a complete and utter wannabe tool if I go for a photo-vest? (ie does ANYBODY wear them, or only those who Want To Look Like A Photographer?)

Answer? The "One Bag" is an answer, but IMO the "Waist Shooter" is an entirely different product because it is primarily belt-mounted, and just two pouches.

Don't wear a vest. If anything, just use real pants pockets, and/or add to your belt system with stuff like a small belt pouch. I swear it looks a lot more tactical and sexy than a fanny pack, hahaha...

=Matt=
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Snacks and water.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Hey, did you see this lens bag? MUCH cheaper than the shootsac.

One of the photographers that works for me just got one, and it looks really great. I like the zippered closure BETTER than my shootsac, since just 2 weeks ago, I tripped up the stairs, and my 24-70 fell out of my lens bag and bounced about 8 times down the stairs. I bought a new 24-70 about 2 hours later.
    It wouldn't have happened if I had been using a different lens bag!

(Other than that, I LOVE my shootsac. Tried many things, but this is the only solution that I have found to work to carry all the stuff I have to carry plus couple extra lenses. It typically houses: makeup wipes, kleenex, extra schedules, business cards, gum, bobby pins, safety pins, a pen, a baggie with almonds, lens cloths, and 2 - 3 lenses.)
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Hey, did you see this lens bag? MUCH cheaper than the shootsac.

One of the photographers that works for me just got one, and it looks really great. I like the zippered closure BETTER than my shootsac, since just 2 weeks ago, I tripped up the stairs, and my 24-70 fell out of my lens bag and bounced about 8 times down the stairs. I bought a new 24-70 about 2 hours later.
    It wouldn't have happened if I had been using a different lens bag!

(Other than that, I LOVE my shootsac. Tried many things, but this is the only solution that I have found to work to carry all the stuff I have to carry plus couple extra lenses. It typically houses: makeup wipes, kleenex, extra schedules, business cards, gum, bobby pins, safety pins, a pen, a baggie with almonds, lens cloths, and 2 - 3 lenses.)
    Unfortunately, I can't recommend either. Neither is very protective or safe overall, you need both reliable construction quality and overall thickness etc... I've had lenses that were even secure inside one of these Neoprene style bags, and a short drop and impact on concrete can ruin them; the bag itself offers zero protection above about ~1-2 ft if you're impacting on a hard surface.

The Waist Shooter that I recommend is the similar thin neoprene design, admittedly, but the reason I find it acceptable is that I don't use it as a shoulder-mounted bag, I use it belt-mounted so there isn't really much risk of cement impact.

If you're looking for a very protective, reliable and durably built bag, my favorite is the Tenba Messenger. I've had mine for like 5 years now and it is still sturdy as ever...

=Matt=
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Don't fret! we are totally going to ROCK this wedding!!!

We aren't going to go super crazy. I am going to make you feel comfortable taking the lead and will be there with any advice needed.

Besides all the technical advice I think Mike said it the best. Go with confidence! I still go to some weddings full of nerves, but everything seems to flow after i arrive and start shooting.

See you in a few weeks!!! :ivar
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif I am SO glad you're joining me, Nicole! (and a public shout out to the others who kindly offered - I wish I could have afforded to put together a "dgrin team" thumb.gif)

I'm looking forward to it, especially in the knowledge there's somebody who knows what they're doing on the team :D And I actually like improvising - I'm doing all my mental prep and list-making now, which means it's all in there somewhere and I can think on my feet, if that makes sense.

Oh, and Matt - guys have it WAY easier with pants pockets than gals! Womens' clothes seem to come as jeans or dress pants with either skimpy or no pockets. Still figuring out how to manage that; if push comes to shove I'll just wear my versabag - I've done it before when I had to keep stuff with me, I was just hoping for a more elegant solution... :-/

PS Heather - nice etsy bag! I think I'd seen those before once upon a time; am bookmarking all of these for reference thumb.gif:D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif I am SO glad you're joining me, Nicole! (and a public shout out to the others who kindly offered - I wish I could have afforded to put together a "dgrin team" thumb.gif)

I'm looking forward to it, especially in the knowledge there's somebody who knows what they're doing on the team :D And I actually like improvising - I'm doing all my mental prep and list-making now, which means it's all in there somewhere and I can think on my feet, if that makes sense.

Oh, and Matt - guys have it WAY easier with pants pockets than gals! Womens' clothes seem to come as jeans or dress pants with either skimpy or no pockets. Still figuring out how to manage that; if push comes to shove I'll just wear my versabag - I've done it before when I had to keep stuff with me, I was just hoping for a more elegant solution... :-/

PS Heather - nice etsy bag! I think I'd seen those before once upon a time; am bookmarking all of these for reference thumb.gif:D

I wear almost the same exact outfit to every wedding. I have a pair of black skinny pants with pockets and a loose fitting black shirt. The go-to outfit!
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    oh..nicole is shooting with you? pfffft..no worries then.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I would LOVE to see the photos
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    oh..nicole is shooting with you? pfffft..no worries then.

lol rolleyes1.gif
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Buy and watch Susan Stripling's workshop on CreativeLive. Seriously legit information for anyone shooting weddings.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Good luck.. I have a coworker I did a engagement shoot for practically budgeting me as her wedding photographer (she blocked of a section the size of my home makeshift studio @ the venue to set up a photobooth for the guest to have photos taken to ensure a easy set of guest pics). I have told her i'm not comfortable w/ the respobsibility currently. Her answer ... "you have a year". I think when someone is practically twisting your arm to do a wedding shoot, there already a fan of your work. There confident in you when your not confident in yourself. Im sure your friend wants you for what your capable of doing currently... All you have to do make sure you capture the important traditional shots. I work pt for a lighting co who specialize in some pretty expensive weddings... I pay attention to how the photographers operate. Back up camera, extra memory and just shoot. Candids from what I hear are very important since your capturing moments the couple couldn't cause there to busy being pulled in every direction.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Yup, Nicole.

Thanks for all the continued comments - I'm starting to put together a shape for this gig, and I think we're going to have fun!