Options

Ok, bring it on: First Wedding tips

2»

Comments

• Options
    rcrjphotosrcrjphotos Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    You can never have too many camera batteries. Take more media cards than you need. Never put more than 100 images on one card. An extra body, lens and flash are a must. Pay someone to assist you or bring them along to assist and buy them dinner afterwards. Always have too much of everything.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    rcrjphotos wrote: »
    You can never have too many camera batteries. Take more media cards than you need. Never put more than 100 images on one card. An extra body, lens and flash are a must. Pay someone to assist you or bring them along to assist and buy them dinner afterwards. Always have too much of everything.

I personally bring eight camera batteries that can handle about 500-1,000 clicks each, and I usually burn through 3-5 batteries. Partially, of course. (It's far better to switch at 20% or 30% than to get caught off guard at 0% during a critical moment... However keep in mind on the other hand that it is healthy for your batteries to use them all the way down to 0% every now and then, so they maintain full health.)

Regarding memory cards, I think the number of images you are willing to put on a single card depends entirely on how much you shoot. If you shoot 4,000 images at a wedding, for example, there's absolutely NO WAY I'm going to try and juggle 40 memory cards! Personally I usually just shoot 1,500-2,000 images at a wedding, and I switch cards 3-4 times. So that's about ~500 images per card.

You can also approach card switching from a scheduling standpoint. Such as, switch cards after prep, ceremony, portraits, and halfway through the reception.

Even with dual card slots, BTW, I prefer to continue swapping out at least one of the card slots, even if the other card slot has a massive 64GB or 128GB card that I leave in all day. Because just popping in two 64 GB memory cards might be redundant, but if your camera gets stolen while you're going to the bathroom at the reception, you're outta luck!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    BreakALegBreakALeg Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2013
    The Big Three
    1. Shot list (if possible, gain access to the bride and groom's FB accounts temporarily so you can see the photographs they like to put front and center, as well as what their friends/family look like.

2. Lots of motion shots. The portraits are de rigeur, natch, but everybody loves the motion shots.

3. Wear something that will allow you to get down on your knees (to get the best shots of the little ones ... or to pray if your memory starts running low!)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    :)
    BreakALeg wrote: »
    1. Shot list (if possible, gain access to the bride and groom's FB accounts temporarily so you can see the photographs they like to put front and center, as well as what their friends/family look like.

2. Lots of motion shots. The portraits are de rigeur, natch, but everybody loves the motion shots.

3. Wear something that will allow you to get down on your knees (to get the best shots of the little ones ... or to pray if your memory starts running low!)

1. Already done (Facebook, too)
    2. My goal
    3. WORKING ON IT!! Man, clothes are proving a pain. I have TONS of nice dress-up-dress-down black comfy clothes, but nothing has POCKETS!!! Considering black pants and shirt, but it feels too casual. I think, however, I may finally have found a nice, simple, wearable professional-looking black dress... WITH POCKETS. Crossing fingers it fits when it arrives and I can move in it... (Seriously - given that my wardrobe is probably 75% black, I never thought that THIS was going to be the thing I had to obsess about... rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Really a dress? Try getting into a lunge or squat with it, and then see.... Maybe with leggings under it or something. I have done that with a mini skirt before, and it worked ok for shooting.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Yeah, that's my reservation - I may still wind up wearing trousers for just that reason. Still, it's got plenty of stretch and I want to try it on and see how it moves before I rule it out; it's perfect in all ways other than the fact that it isn't pants :D

ETA: This would be much easier in cooler temperatures - the fact it's still in the 90s isn't helping rolleyes1.gif
    EATA: And yes, I realise that the wedding isn't about me and my wardrobe - it shouldn't really matter at all as long as I'm clean, ninja, and not actually a slob. However, I know virtually everybody invited and involved in my incarnation as a singer, so I'm trying to look professional in two capacities...........