Options

pics in threads don't always come up

motojedimotojedi Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited March 24, 2004 in Dgrin Forum Support
Whenever I click on a thread, the attatchments don't always come up. Sometimes if hit the back button and back up a page and then go back to the thread, then they'll pop up. Sometimes not. I've never had this problem with ADVRider or any other site. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 23, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    Whenever I click on a thread, the attatchments don't always come up. Sometimes if hit the back button and back up a page and then go back to the thread, then they'll pop up. Sometimes not. I've never had this problem with ADVRider or any other site. ne_nau.gif
    I am having the same experience that pictures do not always display even tho the poster has included info about the picture....... and I see no URL for the picture either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    Whenever I click on a thread, the attatchments don't always come up. Sometimes if hit the back button and back up a page and then go back to the thread, then they'll pop up. Sometimes not. I've never had this problem with ADVRider or any other site. ne_nau.gif
    Are you sure you mean attachments or could you mean links? Most of the image here are links and there could be an issue back on the server where the writer has the image.

The first example is a link:

bosStreet01_s.jpg

And the next is the same pic but done as an attachment:

Got it? :)

So which ones are giving you trouble (and in which messages?) ?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Your attatchment didn't show up. I've even had trouble with my own attatchments coming up when I go back to a thread I strarted.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    Your attatchment didn't show up. I've even had trouble with my own attatchments coming up when I go back to a thread I strarted.
    I had one pic that was not coming up but I went back and made sure that was a link I had accidentally broken.

I see both my linked and attached images in this thread. Can you tell me which of your messages have attachements that you can not see?

If you have trouble getting the message #, click on your own logname and scroll down to "see all messages". In that list there are links that you can copy into a message as a pointer back.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    It appears to happen anytime the pic is an attatchment instead of a link. Instead of a picture , I just see a long rectangular box with nothing in it. But when I came back to this thread, both of your pics were viewable, the link and the attatched version. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    This is interesting. I have experienced a similar problem on ADVrider, where I would go to a thread I was at a few minutes ago, there was a new post but I cannot see it unless I reload/refresh the page. My browser was caching the pages too aggressively. I have not had this problem here.

What OS and browser are you using? I use Mac OS X with Safari.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    This is interesting. I have experienced a similar problem on ADVrider, where I would go to a thread I was at a few minutes ago, there was a new post but I cannot see it unless I reload/refresh the page. My browser was caching the pages too aggressively. I have not had this problem here.

Same thing. Now this time when I came back to this thread, cmr164's attatched photo was not present.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:

I am *NOT* having the problem with MacOSX and Firebird
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I am *NOT* having the problem with MacOSX and Firebird
    I am *NOT* having the problem with XP and Nutscrape 7.1 ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    Same thing. Now this time when I came back to this thread, cmr164's attatched photo was not present.

I am using Safari version 1.0.1 (v85.6).

When I return to the site I usually go to new posts and hit the arrows to take me to the new posts/last post and the pages load fine. I have been doing that since I started using Safari at ADVrider and it usually works fine, if I just hit the thread link it will sometimes load what was in the cache. I will let you know if I have any problems. I have not had any problems seeing the thread right after I post to it either. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    In this thread, one of Charles' attachments isn't showing up. See the image I'm attaching (if you can rolleyes1.gif) On a prior occasion, his shot was there, but the original one wasn't. headscratch.gif I'm on XP Pro and Firebird.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    In this thread, one of Charles' attachments isn't showing up. See the image I'm attaching (if you can rolleyes1.gif) On a prior occasion, his shot was there, but the original one wasn't. headscratch.gif I'm on XP Pro and Firebird.
    I am still seeing the original attachment. When I click on your "this" I think it is likely a caching issueand maybe not on your machine. Which ISPs are you guys using?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    Comcast cable modem. I went back, your attachment still isn't showing, for me. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Comcast cable modem. I went back, your attachment still isn't showing, for me. ne_nau.gif
    How about if you look at it directly in your browser? The URL is:
    http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72&stc=1

Then see if it shows in the thread?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Not a problem here. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    I just upgraded to Mac OSX 10.2.8 (I know 10.3 is out) and it didn't help any.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    I just upgraded to Mac OSX 10.2.8 (I know 10.3 is out) and it didn't help any.
    moto, it's probably not your OS. What browser are you using?
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    How about if you look at it directly in your browser? The URL is:
    http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72&stc=1

Then see if it shows in the thread?
    Sure, it shows up. And now it's in the thread as well.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    > Originally Posted by cmr164
    > How about if you look at it directly in your browser? The URL is:
    > http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php...mentid=72&stc=1
    >
    > Then see if it shows in the thread?

wxwax wrote:
    Sure, it shows up. And now it's in the thread as well.
    Which pretty much guarantees that it is a caching problem. Could be local to you but I would almost bet it is your ISP caching that is fouling up.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    moto, it's probably not your OS. What browser are you using?

I'm on AOL with Internet Exploder 5.2
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    motojedi wrote:

What OS? I think you are on OSX. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    I would like to have someone do an experiment. When you are having the problem, (Not when an image is ok) then please right click and select properties and copy those properties into a msg here.

As an example
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    You're screwed. Get a real ISP and ditch the ancient exploder version.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I would like to have someone do an experiment. When you are having the problem, (Not when an image is ok) then please right click and select properties and copy those properties into a msg here.

As an example

http://www.dgrin.com/images/attach/pdf.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2004
    fish wrote:
    You're screwed. Get a real ISP and ditch the ancient exploder version.

I have been contemplating a switch to Earthlink (cable). But, my system works fine with every other site on the internet. Isn't 5.2 the newest version of Internet Explorer ?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    I have been contemplating a switch to Earthlink (cable). But, my system works fine with every other site on the internet. Isn't 5.2 the newest version of Internet Explorer ?
    Looks like it's 5.2.3 for osx and 6.0 sp2 for winders.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Looks like it's 5.2.3 for osx and 6.0 sp2 for winders.

I'm on OSX and I just switched to Safari from IE and it didn't help any with the attatched images not showing up. I've never had a problem on ADVRider.
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    motojedi wrote:
    I'm on OSX and I just switched to Safari from IE and it didn't help any with the attatched images not showing up. I've never had a problem on ADVRider.

FWIW,
    I'm a Safari user on OS 10.3.2 and have never had a problem with image display on either this, MOA, or ADVrider sites. Though rare, some caching issues aren't local.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    Whatever changes have been made have allowed me to view all images......no more problems......yeah ! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    It happened to a couple of us yesterday. Different threads.
    Sid.