pics in threads don't always come up

2»

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Just happened again in this thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    fwiw, i haven't had any problems at all with pics. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Just happened again in this thread.

I see it too.
    I think Safari chokes on the weird buggy blend of html and xhtml.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    knary wrote:
    I see it too.
    I think Safari chokes on the weird buggy blend of html and xhtml.
    Too many different browsers and OS's have had the problem. I am going to guess that is it a DNS timing issue.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    On this thread I haven't been able to see the top photo. Not from my home machine, using Firebird. And not from my work machine, using Firebird and IE. At least IE gives me a red X.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Same damn deal on this thread. On my home machine I forced the photo to appear via cut-n-paste. But from work machine, on both browsers, once it again it's a no-show. :bash
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Same damn deal on this thread. On my home machine I forced the photo to appear via cut-n-paste. But from work machine, on both browsers, once it again it's a no-show. :bash
    In both of the threads you mention, I had to look in the page source to see the url and then bring it up seperately before I could see the image in the threads. It could be a nested CNAME dns response issue if it worked on subsequent tries. The busted icon is coming from dgrin so the problem is clearly there. The threads where there is nothing at all is also clearly a dgrin problem.

I think the server is set to validate urls and either the time for that is too short or the validation should be turned off and just let the browsers do it.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Yeah, that's what I thought, a nested thingy-thumby. lol3.gif Thanks cmr. thumb.gif At least I'm not the only one. I'm sure Baldy and crew will fix it once advrider is up and running.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    I'll just keep documenting them as they come. I can't see the first or second pic in this thread. Worse, when I cut and paste the URL, the pic still doesn't come up. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    smugmug appears to be down. Must be why.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2004
    here's another thread where the pic didn't show up.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited February 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    here's another thread where the pic didn't show up.

Charles,

I opened the image in this thread in a separate window (ie 6) with no
    problem. Back to dgrin, shift+refresh = no go. But as soon as I replied, the
    image popped up in both the edit window and the screen. So I don't think it's
    DNS timing. Unless the server is heavily loaded. Do you have access to the
    server logs? A gross suggestion (if you can) that would help you test is to
    add host entries for smugmug boxes to the host file and set the resolve
    order to files:dns:... .

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Charles,

I opened the image in this thread in a separate window (ie 6) with no
    problem. Back to dgrin, shift+refresh = no go. But as soon as I replied, the
    image popped up in both the edit window and the screen. So I don't think it's
    DNS timing. Unless the server is heavily loaded. Do you have access to the
    server logs? A gross suggestion (if you can) that would help you test is to
    add host entries for smugmug boxes to the host file and set the resolve
    order to files:dns:... .

Ian
    Please bear in mind that Charles (me/I) does not have any access to smugmug/dgrin or to the s/w installed there.

When there is a default gif or other indication on the screen, check the properties of that gif. The system that has the gif is the one that did not figure out the image. So far that has been dgrin in each case. When there has not been any sign of a gif or of a missing image, that also indicates a failure of s/w on dgrin although the logic is indirect. Mozilla/firefox/IE all will indicate a broken link with a local indication. Since that is not happening the implication is that dgrin is not even trying to show the image.

The above is just intelligent guessing of course.

More intelligent guessing is that the dgrin s/w checks validity of links before serving images and that the check has a timeout value for performance reasons. This would be the first place I would look to experiment with if I did have access to the s/w.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited February 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Please bear in mind that Charles (me/I) does not have any access to smugmug/dgrin or to the s/w installed there.

When there is a default gif or other indication on the screen, check the properties of that gif. The system that has the gif is the one that did not figure out the image. So far that has been dgrin in each case. When there has not been any sign of a gif or of a missing image, that also indicates a failure of s/w on dgrin although the logic is indirect. Mozilla/firefox/IE all will indicate a broken link with a local indication. Since that is not happening the implication is that dgrin is not even trying to show the image.

The above is just intelligent guessing of course.

More intelligent guessing is that the dgrin s/w checks validity of links before serving images and that the check has a timeout value for performance reasons. This would be the first place I would look to experiment with if I did have access to the s/w.
    2/19 -- 1959 PDT. It's happening again. Same thread.

What's strange is if you cut and paste, you'll get the image. The problem
    seems to occur more frequently with smugmug hosted images. I wish there
    were some way to help other than just reporting.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    Just had the same problem. I even tested the thread in another browser. Still no go. Very odd.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    Just happened again.

This thread.

I can't see Andy's pics until I cut and paste the URL's. I thought this problem had gone away.
    Sid.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Just happened again.

This thread.

I can't see Andy's pics until I cut and paste the URL's. I thought this problem had gone away.
    I just upgraded the forum software to version 3.0.0 — the long-awaited final version — so we'll see if it fixed any bugs that help you.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    Bummer. I clicked on that thread again. Still can't see the pics.
    Sid.