Options

StatCounter is now available

SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
edited March 30, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hello folks. We added support for StatCounter in your Account Settings on the new platform. Just look in the Stats tab. Thanks for the feedback!
SmugMug Product Manager

Comments

• Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Thanks Sheaf!

As far as I can tell it's working exactly as the legacy version (the full range of stats are available) and is even working on my new smug site in preview mode (I'm not yet unveiled).

:Dthumb.gifmwink.gifthumb.gif:D
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    rich56k wrote: »
    Thanks Sheaf!

As far as I can tell it's working exactly as the legacy version (the full range of stats are available) and is even working on my new smug site in preview mode (I'm not yet unveiled).

:Dthumb.gifmwink.gifthumb.gif:D

How can that work if you haven't unveiled yet?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    WTG, Guys, nice.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    How can that work if you haven't unveiled yet?

Just my theory...I think it's that Statcounter doesn't know/care/differentiate whether it's 'unveiled' or not, it just tracks the activity on any site/page it's installed on and logs it. However, it does in fact work so I'm OK with it!
    The big bonus is it looks like we won't be throwing away all our accumulated hits from the past... deal.gif

"Sure Rich, we believe you had all those hits and they just vanished when you updated to the new Smug sure we do..." rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Just my theory...I think it's that Statcounter doesn't know/care/differentiate whether it's 'unveiled' or not, it just tracks the activity on any site/page it's installed on and logs it. However, it does in fact work so I'm OK with it!
    The big bonus is it looks like we won't be throwing away all our accumulated hits from the past... deal.gif

"Sure Rich, we believe you had all those hits and they just vanished when you updated to the new Smug sure we do..." rolleyes1.gif

I will count your own hits on your New SmugMug...but since you are the only ones to visit, it doesn't provide much insight :D
  • Options
    sbphoto0124sbphoto0124 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Laughing.gif whoever wrote the content for the screenshot is hilarious. I can't stop laughing at the POS comment.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I will count your own hits on your New SmugMug...but since you are the only ones to visit, it doesn't provide much insight :D

OK wise guy! I think you know what I meant ... at least now I'll hit the sack with a smile mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    OK wise guy! I think you know what I meant ... at least now I'll hit the sack with a smile mwink.gif

Hahaha I couldn't help myself thumb.gif
  • Options
    AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Hello folks. We added support for StatCounter in your Account Settings on the new platform. Just look in the Stats tab. Thanks for the feedback!

Perfect, thank you

+1
  • Options
    ColinMColinM Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »

AWESOME!! Thank you!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I added the statcounter code yesterday but it still has not registered with statcounter. Does it take awhile to go through?
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I added the statcounter code yesterday but it still has not registered with statcounter. Does it take awhile to go through?

Hmmmm, I don't think it should take a full day. Have you verified that your unique identifier is correctly entered?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Hmmmm, I don't think it should take a full day. Have you verified that your unique identifier is correctly entered?

Yes, I checked it several times.
    Glenn

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Yes, I checked it several times.

Mine worked within minutes...noting however, that I was already a StatCounter customer on my legacy account and all I did was cut/paste the applicable codes into the new but unveiled SmugMug.

rich56k
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Mine worked within minutes...noting however, that I was already a StatCounter customer on my legacy account and all I did was cut/paste the applicable codes into the new but unveiled SmugMug.

rich56k

That's pretty much what I did except I did have the html version on my site before smugmug added the code to the stats page.
    Glenn

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    That's pretty much what I did except I did have the html version on my site before smugmug added the code to the stats page.

I'm guessing here, but if there's anyway you can delete the html version then start over with the new smug version??

If it always worked fine on your legacy acct. it should be straightforward to work on the new site...

I can't/won't unveil until a PayPal/Self-fulfill option is available so I can't really help beyond this, as I had said it is working fine on both of my sites currently...
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I'm guessing here, but if there's anyway you can delete the html version then start over with the new smug version??

If it always worked fine on your legacy acct. it should be straightforward to work on the new site...

I can't/won't unveil until a PayPal/Self-fulfill option is available so I can't really help beyond this, as I had said it is working fine on both of my sites currently...

Thanks, But I removed the html code before I added the statcounter project ID and the security code to the new smugmug. Statcounter was working fine for several years on my legacy site! ne_nau.gif
    Glenn

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Thanks, But I removed the html code before I added the statcounter project ID and the security code to the new smugmug. Statcounter was working fine for several years on my legacy site! ne_nau.gif

Hmmmm I looked and all your identifirs seem correct. Let's wait until tomorrow and give it another look, and if it still isn't synching, I will pull in an engineer to help me troubleshoot.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Hmmmm I looked and all your identifirs seem correct. Let's wait until tomorrow and give it another look, and if it still isn't synching, I will pull in an engineer to help me troubleshoot.

Thanks Michael!
    Glenn

• Options
    edited August 23, 2013

Just checked and statcounter is working this morning. thumb.gif
    Glenn

• Options
    A380900A380900 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    I have entered (copy/pasted) the right Project ID and Securtity ID in the account settings, but my statcounter is no longer detecting any visitors after transitioning to the new smugmug. It has been a week.

Any suggestions as to what to check?

Thanks

http://kieboom.net
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    Statcounter is registering certain visits, but not all. I have not seen a single hit created by myself, and that was not a problem with the old Smugmug. Also, hardly any referring URLs are registered.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2013
    A380900 wrote: »
    Statcounter is registering certain visits, but not all. I have not seen a single hit created by myself, and that was not a problem with the old Smugmug. Also, hardly any referring URLs are registered.

Any chance you can provide me with detailed specifics, and maybe even a log in to your SC account? Feel free to PM me with the info.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    A380900 wrote: »

Regarding the referring links, this thread may be related http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240113

In the mean time, there are still no referring URLs listed coming from search engines. Instead of listing Google Search or Google Image Search referring URLs, the referring URL still point to the smugmug gallery (which is the entry page, not the referring URL). In other words, the referring URL and the entry page are always the same (which was not the case on the legacy site).

Luc
  • Options
    You know, sometimes I get the "no referring link" green link that leads into my site. I also get Google search refering links, and smugmug image search links, as well as other referring links. Perhaps the "no referring link" comes from a browser that has the "Send a ‘Do Not Track’ request with your browsing traffic" option enabled?

Just stabbing at the dark...
  • Options
    You know, sometimes I get the "no referring link" green link that leads into my site. I also get Google search refering links, and smugmug image search links, as well as other referring links. Perhaps the "no referring link" comes from a browser that has the "Send a ‘Do Not Track’ request with your browsing traffic" option enabled?

Just stabbing at the dark...

If there is a green 'no referring link' mentioned under the no referring URL, then it denotes that someone visited the entry page by clicking on the URL in an e-mail message for example.

What's going on here though is that the page of the smugmug gallery that is visited (i.e. the entry page) is also and always the (black) entry page (when coming from a search engine).

When visitors come from external blogs, websites, forums (like Dgrin) etc., then the green referring link is the URL of that external blog, website, forum, etc. and the entry or visit page is the smgmug gallery. That's the way it should go and is correct.

When people enter the site via Google search or Google Image Search or Yahoo or Bing, I noticed that there is no real referring link mentioned. The green referring link is always the visited smugmug page -- which is the same as the black (entry or visit) page. In the past (under the legacy site and the former code) the green referring link always pointed to the full Google referring URL (so that I could see if the visitor came via Google Search or Google Image search on the entry page). This now is missing since I unveiled almost a month ago.

Luc
  • Options
    Do you mean you don't see links like this?

i-J4Vk9mS-L.jpg
  • Options
    Do you mean you don't see links like this?

i-J4Vk9mS-L.jpg

Indeed, there is no Gooogle URL and instead of the Google URL, there is a green smugmug link (which in my case is lucdejaeger.smugmug.com/xxxxxxxxxx). The green smugmug link is the same as the black entry or visit page.

Luc
  • Options
    Indeed, there is no Gooogle URL and instead of the Google URL, there is a green smugmug link (which in my case is lucdejaeger.smugmug.com/xxxxxxxxxx). The green smugmug link is the same as the black entry or visit page.

Luc

This is an example (and it's just full of this).
  • Options
    Thanks (dank u) for picking up on my problem. It seems to be a little bit different in my case.

If the visit is actually registered, it looks like this most of the time (No referring link):

Total Visits:
    IP Address:
    Telefonica Germany (95.115.243.82) [Label IP Address]
    Referring URL:
    (No referring link)
    Entry Page:
    www.kieboom.net/keyword/a380
    Exit Page:
    www.kieboom.net/keyword/a380