Options

StatCounter is now available

2»

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    I occasionally get a referring URL like the one you posted. In fact, I just had one tonight.

i-D63gH93-L.jpg

The first, green referring link has a lowercase "v" in the gallery name, which I believe is a Smugmug system file path. Correct? All links now have a capital first letter. When I lick the green link, it redirects to my gallery page, and the URL changes to the "Vargo." The second link is a specific photo lightbox page.

I'm not certain how, but perhaps the user is using some sort of image search engine that uses the first link to display the image in a collage. When they click on it, it opens full screen??? I don't know...

The Green Link: www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/Pennsic/vargo/15531193_5mSFdX watch it redirect in your address bar.

The black link: www.ronlutzii-photographer.com/Pennsic/Vargo/i-N2MR2Cp/A
  • Options
    A380900A380900 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Still mainly 'No referring link'
    i-d5smzXN.jpg

The vast majority of visits do not leave a referring link, as shown above. Also, I cannot generate a single entry from my own computer. Both things were not a problem before switching to the New Smugmug.

Is there any explanation (Javascript?) for the lack of referrals? Any fix known?
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2013
    I 'think' that's because Google has begun to increasingly encrypt searches by default now. For example: http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/google-encrypting-all-searches-nj
    John
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 27, 2013
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    I 'think' that's because Google has begun to increasingly encrypt searches by default now. For example: http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/google-encrypting-all-searches-nj
    Hmm....StatCounter still shows encrypted searches for me, only unlike the unencrypted ones, it does not show the keywords:

i-rwqMHwx-XL.png

I'm still using the old SmugMug. Perhaps the new one works differently. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2013
    A380900 wrote: »
    i-d5smzXN.jpg

The vast majority of visits do not leave a referring link, as shown above. Also, I cannot generate a single entry from my own computer. Both things were not a problem before switching to the New Smugmug.

Is there any explanation (Javascript?) for the lack of referrals? Any fix known?

As far as I know from my own stats and experience, 'no referring link' mentioned under the no referring URL, denotes that someone visited the entry page by (directly) clicking on the URL in an e-mail message or another source (which is not a browser). It's possible that someone got that link from someone else via an e-mail.

Luc
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    As far as I know from my own stats and experience, 'no referring link' mentioned under the no referring URL, denotes that someone visited the entry page by (directly) clicking on the URL in an e-mail message or another source (which is not a browser). It's possible that someone got that link from someone else via an e-mail.

Luc

That would seem like a plausible explanation. However, it would also mean that nearly all visitors suddenly enter the site this way, after making the switch to the New Smugmug.

This being quite unlikely, there's most probably a different reason. Also, the fact that I cannot create a logged entry myself, suggests there's more to it.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    Who should I contact about this issue? It's clearly related to the 'new smugmug' and I am completely sick of seeing all the 'no referring link's. Look at this:

i-rBBvhWf.jpg
  • Options
    VisionsbyBakerVisionsbyBaker Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2014
    Old to New Changes
    I'm under the impression that I do not need to change anything to keep my StatCounter working as it does now when I publish the new version. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeffery A. Baker Sr., CPP
    When Excellence Matters, and Good Enough, Isn't.
    www.VisionsbyBaker.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited March 30, 2014
    I'm under the impression that I do not need to change anything to keep my StatCounter working as it does now when I publish the new version. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    In legacy smugmug I believe you needed to add code referencing statcounter to your custom footer. Code is not moved from legacy to new smug. As far as I know you will need to place your statcounter ids in your account settings.

Go into your account settings, click stats, and enter your statcounter project id and security id in the statcounter section of that page.

--- Denise