Options

My custom domain is dead at the moment

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I'm certain this is not SmugMug related. You have to check with your domain provider.
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I'm certain this is not SmugMug related. You have to check with your domain provider.

Ok. I did that....called them (Yahoo) again this afternoon. I think the support guys are not really up to speed though. They keep saying it's not their problem. I think they're not really all that technical. Anyway...if it truly is Yahoo's problem, it will be resolved when my domain transfer is complete. Maybe in a few days or so. Hope it transfers soon though.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    kygarden wrote: »
    Ok. I did that....called them (Yahoo) again this afternoon. I think the support guys are not really up to speed though. They keep saying it's not their problem. I think they're not really all that technical. Anyway...if it truly is Yahoo's problem, it will be resolved when my domain transfer is complete. Maybe in a few days or so. Hope it transfers soon though.

I hope that happens for you quickly. I've seen about 15 domains over the last 48 hours with the sporadic invalid URL problem - they were all though Yahoo.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Me too. So far, still waiting for the transfer to godaddy/smugmug domains. And since later yesterday evening, every time I've checked my site, it's been working....so I hope whatever it was, it's fixed (even though I'm moving the domain anyway).
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Your domain is working right now for me here in NY :)
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Dead again....even though I'm on godaddy/smugmug domains :-(
    Ok...what's going on? This evening I'm getting off and on 'invalid url' warnings and dead pages when trying to load my site. My domain is transferred to smugmug domains/godaddy now....so what could be going on now? It's the same problem I had before I left Yahoo domains....

Here's my setup. You can see I'm on godday/smugmug domains now. What gives?

i-72NDqDJ-X2.jpg

i-KpcWqXq-X2.jpg

i-GdLqThB-X2.jpg

i-hg6xR5v-X2.jpg
  • Options
    ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Dead for me too in both Safari and Chrome.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    P.S. I did delete my yahoo domains account today, so is it possible there that's still something not updated out there on the web that was going through Yahoo temporarily until all servers show the new registration with godaddy? That was several hours ago though. Either way, this is the exact same thing that was happening when I used Yahoo for my domain name. I'm just frustrated.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    I ran Wireshark to see what's happening and the last response I get that spits out the bad request / 400 error (invalid URL) seems to be coming from Akamai. This IP address is an Akamai address. (Ping -a that IP and you'll see).

i-Z83HLrK-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Also, you can see the domain name is resolving, but I'm not sure if there should be more to this DNS request. The last bit ends with Akamai (very bottom entry)....

(edit: it just started working again at 7:50pm eastern....but if history is any indicator, it might happen again. It was sporadic over the last several days....work and then not work)

i-GM5Sth6-X3.jpg
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that some of the Akamai servers will serve these SmugMug pages, and some of them are broken. Since they're in a pool of IP addresses which randomly resolves even for the same DNS name, you will probably see a different Akamai server each time your local DNS cache expires, so you'll see your site working sometimes and not others. If you switch to a different web browser, you're also switching to a different DNS cache, so you will see it work in some browsers while it's simultaneously not working in others.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that some of the Akamai servers will serve these SmugMug pages, and some of them are broken. Since they're in a pool of IP addresses which randomly resolves even for the same DNS name, you will probably see a different Akamai server each time your local DNS cache expires, so you'll see your site working sometimes and not others. If you switch to a different web browser, you're also switching to a different DNS cache, so you will see it work in some browsers while it's simultaneously not working in others.

Ah....makes sense. So we can blame Akamai then? If so, I assume that's Smugmug's responsibility to complain to Akamai about that?....because Smugmug is paying Akamai for their service, right?

Bottom line is, I need it to work and I can not fix it on my own. Everything is right on my end. I already switched service providers for my domain name...to Smugmug's preferred provider. I'm obviously frustrated. I just want the dang thing to work like it has for the last 6 years.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Well, SmugMug support here seem adamant that it's a Yahoo domains problem, even though the domain name is clearly resolving to domains.smugmug.com. If they're so certain about that, perhaps the issue is that the DNS records for your domain aren't working everywhere, even though they're resolving to domains.smugmug.com fine for us. For example, they might be stale in Akamai's DNS cache. Perhaps SmugMug's Akamai caching servers are looking up your domain name to ensure that it's a domains.smugmug.com domain, and some of the Akamai servers find that it isn't, and refuse to serve the page, giving you this nice Akamai error message in your browser.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Well, SmugMug support here seem adamant that it's a Yahoo domains problem, even though the domain name is clearly resolving to domains.smugmug.com. If they're so certain about that, perhaps the issue is that the DNS records for your domain aren't working everywhere, even though they're resolving to domains.smugmug.com fine for us. For example, they might be stale in Akamai's DNS cache. Perhaps SmugMug's Akamai caching servers are looking up your domain name to ensure that it's a domains.smugmug.com domain, and some of the Akamai servers find that it isn't, and refuse to serve the page, giving you this nice Akamai error message in your browser.

I don't know...but as of today, my domain name is officially transferred and serviced by godaddy /smugmug domains. I'm no longer with Yahoo.

I don't know if I posted this news story before but it's from about a week ago when I first started noticing my site being dead off and on. They mention Akamai too.
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/websites-loading-slow-telstra-says-it-is-suffering-from-a-widespread-issue-affecting-popular-sites-20130820-2s8y4.html
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    It worked for me just now using Mac, Chrome.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    I don't know if I posted this news story before but it's from about a week ago when I first started noticing my site being dead off and on. They mention Akamai too.
    http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/websites-loading-slow-telstra-says-it-is-suffering-from-a-widespread-issue-affecting-popular-sites-20130820-2s8y4.html

Are you in Australia? That's an Australia-specific issue. If you're not in Australasia, it's really unlikely that you're using any part of the Akamai network that they're using.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Are you in Australia? That's an Australia-specific issue. If you're not in Australasia, it's really unlikely that you're using any part of the Akamai network that they're using.

No, I'm in the US.

I tried flushing the DNS, tried multiple web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safarai (iPhone) - all clear of cache like cookies, etc...everything) and even tried different devices using different ISP's. I get the same result on each device when the problem is present. The problem is sporadic, but frequent. You might check and see it working one minute and then dead the next minute.

Things to keep in mind:
    - I've tried my home PC using Time-Warner for my ISP
    - I've tried my company laptop at work using their ISP, which is Cincinnati Bell
    - I've tried my iPhone using AT&T's mobile service (wi-fi disabled so it's forced to use AT&T as the ISP)

Like I said....I'm a little frustrated. I do have a support ticket open, but so far the first reponse I got back was its a DNS problem and to flush my DNS and try a few other things. I'll keep working with them, but I wanted to see if others here had some ideas because this has been going on for a week now and I've even changed service providers as an attempt to fix it after I was told earlier in this thread that it's my domain registrars problem (Yahoo). Well, that's not the case....I still have the same problem with another provider. That's not the problem. I still think the most logical explanation is it's Akamai's problem, but I'm not expert ;-)
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    No, I'm in the US.

Are you still experiencing this issue?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    I saw the problem as soon as I woke up this morning at 4am eastern time. At this very moment it's working on my laptop here at work but dead on my iphone using AT&T Wilress (wi-fi disabled) But like I said, it's sporadic and happens off and on throughout the day. Honestly, before yesterday evening, it had gotten better and I thought it was fixed. Over the weekend it seemed ok, but the days before that were up and down a lot. It seems to have started up again sometime yesterday afternoon....the problem. I'm not sure why it's now working on my laptop at work, but earlier it was dead on my computer and iphone at the same time. Very strange problem.

P.S. The default smugmug address always seems to work even when the custom www.openbloom.com address is not working. It only seems to be related to that domain name somehow.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    I saw the problem as soon as I woke up this morning at 4am eastern time. At this very moment it's working on my laptop here at work but dead on my iphone using AT&T Wilress (wi-fi disabled) But like I said, it's sporadic and happens off and on throughout the day. Honestly, before yesterday evening, it had gotten better and I thought it was fixed. Over the weekend it seemed ok, but the days before that were up and down a lot. It seems to have started up again sometime yesterday afternoon....the problem. I'm not sure why it's now working on my laptop at work, but earlier it was dead on my computer and iphone at the same time. Very strange problem.

P.S. The default smugmug address always seems to work even when the custom www.openbloom.com address is not working. It only seems to be related to that domain name somehow.

Hmmmmm strange. Please keep me posted. As of now, www.openbloom.com resolved fine on my iMac on Chrome, FF, and Safari, as well as Safari and Chrome on my AT&T iPhone.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Maybe I've stumbled upon something here....a clue? :-)

I noticed in the DNS query I saw when I raw Wireshark, the last few entries in that query show this address: http://a1170.b.akamai.net/

If you go to that address, you get the same exact invalid URL error I'm seeing when I have this problem. Does that help?

This is what I'm referring to. Look at the last few entries for the 'Primary address'. That address gives me the same error I see when I have the problem....if you go to that link in a web browser...

i-GM5Sth6-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Maybe I've stumbled upon something here....a clue? :-)

I noticed in the DNS query I saw when I raw Wireshark, the last few entries in that query show this address: http://a1170.b.akamai.net/

If you go to that address, you get the same exact invalid URL error I'm seeing when I have this problem. Does that help?

This is what I'm referring to. Look at the last few entries for the 'Primary address'. That address gives me the same error I see when I have the problem....if you go to that link in a web browser...

i-GM5Sth6-X3.jpg

Thanks! I am not sure, that does seem strange. I will ping the engineers about this in the morning...well, a couple of hours from now :(:
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Well, at least so far that's the best clue I've found. It's at least encouraging that I can reproduce that error message any time by going to that Akamai link. That's the same error I seee when I have the problem, but if you refresh the page, the reference number shown on the page changes....but you still see the invalid URL message (I'm usually using the Chrome browser and I think it gives you more info on the error than IE)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Here's an example of the DNS query (as of a few minutes ago) when my openbloom.com page is loading properly. Not sure if it's any help, but it looks nearly the same, except for the IP address of the a1170.b.akamai.net name is different in this working example. If I see it not working again later, I'll try to do another wireshark trace if I have time and see if the IP is the same as the previous example of my trace when it wasn't working.

i-tm2Vng9-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013

No, it doesn't, as that's the expected behaviour. Because Akamai serve websites for many different companies, they rely on checking the domain name from the URL to know which website they should be serving to you. Since the domain name in your browser was "a1170.b.akamai.net", and that's not the name of a website they are accelerating, they say "Invalid URL" to let you know that that's not a URL they're supposed to be handling.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    No, it doesn't, as that's the expected behaviour. Because Akamai serve websites for many different companies, they rely on checking the domain name from the URL to know which website they should be serving to you. Since the domain name in your browser was "a1170.b.akamai.net", and that's not the name of a website they are accelerating, they say "Invalid URL" to let you know that that's not a URL they're supposed to be handling.

Ok, I understand. But I mean, at least when I go to that akamai address, I see the URL error I get when my own openbloom.com site isn't working right....so it's as if they're directing me to the wrong place sometimes (when it's not working right). Sorry if I'm over-simplifying it....but that's how my brain works :-)
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    There is something strange with your DNS settings, as www.openbloom.com return different results to openbloom.com, which would indicate something going on with your CNAME record. They should obviously be identical.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Ok, I understand. But I mean, at least when I go to that akamai address, I see the URL error I get when my own openbloom.com site isn't working right....so it's as if they're directing me to the wrong place sometimes (when it's not working right). Sorry if I'm over-simplifying it....but that's how my brain works :-)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is SmugMug's problem, because you're being sent to Akamai as you can see by the error message that you receive. All the Akamai stuff is handled by SmugMug and Yahoo Domains has absolutely no control over that process (particularly now that you're not even using Yahoo Domains).
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    www.openbloom.com
    Sorry not easy to see the attachment..

This is www.openbloom.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013