Options

Can the shopping cart be "off" by default?

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited October 15, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I don't want the shopping cart turned on, and as I create galleries I keep forgetting that it is on. Anyway to set that as default? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    Although you can't disable purchasing as a default (for all created Galleries), if you have a Business Account, you could create a Pricelist (as your default), with no items available - so that, in essence, purchasing is disabled by default.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    In the end I just added some CSS to hide the cart button in case I forgot to switch it off :). Think this is the right bit

.sm-gallery-buy-icon {
    display: none;
    }

.sm-gallery-buymenu {
    display: none;
    }

Remember though that someone could re-enable the button by disabling that bit of CSS so it is only really a backup but an effective backup

Rich
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    Remember though that someone could re-enable the button by disabling that bit of CSS so it is only really a backup but an effective backup

Rich
    Also remember that if your pics are, for whatever reason, showing in someone else's Smart gallery, they could be added to a cart there. See http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241848
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Also remember that if your pics are, for whatever reason, showing in someone else's Smart gallery, they could be added to a cart there. See http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241848

Not if they are turned off from purchasing in the source gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Not if they are turned off from purchasing in the source gallery.

My point, as I'm sure that you know, is that relying solely on hiding the cart button on the photo's original site and taking no other measures is not enough to prevent someone adding it to a cart elsewhere.

I'm in favour of having a default "off" setting for the cart, IMHO opt-in would seem to be a safer setting than opt-out.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2013
    Maybe what's needed is a way to query a site to find out, at-a-glance, the cart-status of each gallery.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2013
    And keep in mind, you CAN make this the default by creating a gallery Quick Settings and having the cart turned to Off
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2013
    And keep in mind, you CAN make this the default by creating a gallery Quick Settings and having the cart turned to Off

Are you saying that there is a QuickSetting that is applied by default to all new galleries or that you still need to then apply the Quicksetting to the gallery? Having a default QuickSetting that is automatically applied would be lovely and solves another problem that I have as I have several people who create galleries

tx

Rich