Options

WTF Nikon?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    How do you figure it will be any better than the D4?

Because practically every sensor ever re-released or "recycled" from one Nikon to another has had better image quality than the previous sensor. Check their track record! D3 -> D700 -> D3s, for example. Or if you wanna go really deep, Nikon got some pretty serious mileage out of their 6 and 12 megapixel DX sensors back in the day!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    I don't think Nikon was even in the game until the D300.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    I don't think Nikon was even in the game until the D300.

Does that change the fact that Nikon's prior history proves how the DF sensor will be one of the best sensors ever made?

BTW, for those who didn't absolutely obsess over high ISO performance, Nikon was always in the game in fact they were a leader in a few respects from day one.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    I really didn't care for the colors from the D200.

Anyway, I don't think any of this means the DF is worth $1000 over the D610. Maybe if it had a current iteration of D700 AF and 8fps.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2013
    studio1972 wrote: »
    I may have some insight on this. I went from Canon 5D (and mk2) to Fuji X, which have dials for shutter,aperture and exposure comp, so full physical control in other words.

I think it's a much better system than the PASM dial on DSLRs, and it's quicker to use. The exposure comp in particular is very convenient and I end up using it a lot more than I did on the canons.

I saw a video of someone who had an opportunity for hands on use of the Df, specifically making a video about the controls. You have to push down a lock lever to make a change. It didn't look quick to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVGSBGAC0A
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2013
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I saw a video of someone who had an opportunity for hands on use of the Df, specifically making a video about the controls. You have to push down a lock lever to make a change. It didn't look quick to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVGSBGAC0A

This is only partly true. The dials that require you to push down a button 100% of the time are the dials that already are locked on all other cameras, too.

The shutter speed dial, on the other hand, can be un-locked and you can freely click between the marked, whole stops all you want or you can lock it into the 1/3 stop option.

Having said that, I still don't have high hopes about it being EASIER to operate. At this point I'm only hoping that it is roughly equal.
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Unresponsive Nikon management
    Some years back, a very senior NikonUSA exectutive told me that although the USA is the single largest Nikon market ( larger than Japan)NikonJP planners and management politely accept and ignore suggestions, major complaints, recommendations from NikonUSA. Nikon's late entry with lens motion stabilization was years behind Canon, even though Nikon had patents and other permits allowing lens design modifications. That exec is now gone, but his successor told me recently that NikonJP's attitude has NOT changed. Nikon still outsoources some products, new product introduction still lags except for low end entries. The NikonUSA technical assistance telephone facility with its awful service in the Dominican Republic, selected due to low cost, was changed to the USA Pennsylvania facility only after years of complaints. Canon recognized the USA market input years ago, made the CanonUSA Photo President the CEO of CanonJP( the entire corporation for everything), and his background doubtless influenced Canon's progress. Focus and customer surveys are the norm for many consumer products, including Canon ( was invited to one because I own a Canon printer), influencing policy and new products. I assume that Nikon must survey ( if at all) in Japan only.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2013
    Very interesting.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »

No noise correction at ISO 12,800 and the straight from camera jpegs look really good!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil