Options

Newby Friendly DSLR

KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited December 11, 2013 in Cameras
I was wondering what to buy. I have a basic knowledge of slr cameras and want something that will take great pics as I'm learning more. I'm looking to spend around $700. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2013
    Do you have a preference on manufacturers?
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    No, I just want quality for the money. I'm considering the Nikon 3200, Canon Rebel 3T1, and the Pentax K-R.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2013
    All three are reputable choices, hold the camera's in your hand and see what feels comfortable.
    Also what will be your main use for the camera, landscapes, micro, portraits....
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Actually all of the above. I love taking macro photos of flowers and insects. I do portraits of my grandkids and other family, and I also love doing landscapes. My passions are wildlife and kids portraits.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    Then buy the body that best fits the lens you have on your wishlist, remember its the glass that counts.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited December 3, 2013
    Wondering whether you might want to look at the Canon T5i, Canon 60D, and Nikon 5200 as well? Looking at the kinds of photos you like to shoot, I think you might be happier with one of these in the long run. I haven't used the 60D but it was recommended when I asked for advice here about a newby friendly camera to give my daughter (to photograph our little grand-daughter). I haven't checked B & H but see that Amazon is offering the 60D with an 18-135 IS lens for just a little over your target cost.

I am currently using the T4i most of the time. Really like my Canon 7D - it is just a little heavy for me to carry on our travels - and gather that the 60D has comparable features. I just tried out the T3i for a few minutes yesterday and realized that I have come to appreciate the touch screen LCD that is offered on the T4i and T5i. It is helpful in making quick menu changes.

If you are able to get your hands on a few of the cameras that are on your shortlist - trying them out in a camera store - that would be ideal for helping you decide.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    If I was starting with a clean sheet right now I would be very inclined to start building my lens collection around the Nikon platform. The Nikon high end cameras have an edge on sensor technology thanks to their relation with Sony while Canon are heavily committed to making their own. There are over seventy companies making imaging sensors so a business model that takes the best into the platform rather than inventing everything yourself looks more competitive for the next few years.

Like Ted says, its the glass that counts.
  • Options
    ABS34ABS34 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2013
    Macro/flowers/insects?
    Actually all of the above. I love taking macro photos of flowers and insects. I do portraits of my grandkids and other family, and I also love doing landscapes. My passions are wildlife and kids portraits.

The NIKON D5200 has an articulated screen which would help in low or high level viewing, no getting down in the mud to get the shot of some critter, etc.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    If I was starting with a clean sheet right now I would be very inclined to start building my lens collection around the Nikon platform. The Nikon high end cameras have an edge on sensor technology thanks to their relation with Sony while Canon are heavily committed to making their own. There are over seventy companies making imaging sensors so a business model that takes the best into the platform rather than inventing everything yourself looks more competitive for the next few years

If your enjoyment of photography comes from examining photos at 100% view on a computer screen (1 camera pixel displayed as 1 screen pixel), this might matter. If you want to make prints and books, it doesn't.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    Although I like my DSLRs quite a bit and their size/weight doesn't bother me, if I were starting totally from scratch today (and I've recommended a few people to do this and they've been very happy), I'd seriously consider the micro 4/3 format. There are many bodies available and you can most likely find a "last year's" model for cheap. Since there are many companies making compatible lenses, you have quite a good selection available.

Other than that suggestion just to keep your mind open to the m4/3 option, I agree to just go to a store and play around with several bodies. Get what feels comfortable to you. These days all the cameras are pretty incredible. Don't worry about Brand X vs. Brand Y, there are plenty of people making great photographs with Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc etc. It can be kind of amusing, but there's not much productive in getting caught up in the endless "my brand is better than your brand" arguments. I would make sure to look at the lens selection of whatever system you buy into, as good lenses will long outlive whichever is the first body you purchase, but you will find completely acceptable lenses for portraits and wildlife for any of these systems.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2013
    If your enjoyment of photography comes from examining photos at 100% view on a computer screen (1 camera pixel displayed as 1 screen pixel), this might matter. If you want to make prints and books, it doesn't.

Jack, if you were NOT invested in Canon now and could start over, would you still be buying Canon?

The investment you make in lenses and other equipment like a flash system is going to live for a while after you bought this body, the next, and perhaps the one after that.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    Although I like my DSLRs quite a bit and their size/weight doesn't bother me, if I were starting totally from scratch today (and I've recommended a few people to do this and they've been very happy), I'd seriously consider the micro 4/3 format.

15524779-Ti.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Camera-14-42mm-Tilt-Live-Viewfinder/dp/B00E87OITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386197371&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+gx7
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2013
    Looking at the micro 4/3 cameras is a great suggestion. I am considering getting one of these or another mirrorless camera at some point in the future. My local camera store suggested that I consider the Sony Alpha NEX-7 but this Panasonic also looks intriguing.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    Jack, if you were NOT invested in Canon now and could start over, would you still be buying Canon?

Right now, yes. I shoot sports, portraits, family, a little landscape, and whatever. My 5D3 is practically perfect for all that. I would buy it again. If I were heavy into landscape I might envy the D800e. If I were more into pushing shadows 3+ stops and making HDRs from single shots, I might prefer Nikon.

If Nikon were making a D700 Mark II with pro AF, 8+fps, 24mp, I might think otherwise. But they're not. They seem to be strangely circling the sweet spot that the 5D3 pretty much nails.

As for lenses, I don't see a significant advantage in either system. The Nikon 14-24 is nice, but that's not enough for me. On the other end I do think big white lenses impress my sports customers.

IMO at every other price point besides the one in which the 5D3 and D800(e) reside, you cannot make a wrong choice between Canon and Nikon. The only reason to choose one or the other as far as I can tell is how they feel in your hands and how easy you find them to operate. Every time I pick up a Nikon I am utterly confounded, but that's just my years of Canon "training" talking.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    One consideration might be how ergonomically the camera feels in your hands. Canon makes some great gear but nikon offers a better warranty.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Looking at the micro 4/3 cameras is a great suggestion. I am considering getting one of these at some point in the future.

I can't figure out why anyone would do that when there are compelling mirrorless APS-C offerings from Fuji and Sony.
    My local camera store suggested that I consider the Sony Alpha NEX-7

Sony NEX cameras are APS-C, not micro 4/3.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    I can't figure out why anyone would do that when there are compelling mirrorless APS-C offerings from Fuji and Sony

The Sony does looks compelling - but it'll be a year + before there are lenses that can match the m43's lineup. I'm rather happy with the kit I have now, great body with features I need, and IQ I need. Awesome lenses: 12mm f/2, 12-35 f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8, a 17.5mm f/.95 which is just the bee's knees.... and more :)
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    I can't figure out why anyone would do that when there are compelling mirrorless APS-C offerings from Fuji and Sony..

It's a fair point. I'd always assumed (and we know what that means) that the m4/3 lens lineup blew away what NEX offered, but I never really did a thorough look since I'm not actually in the market. I just did a quick check of what's available, and m4/3 still has fewer holes in the choices I would like, but NEX isn't as far behind as I'd thought. I like primes and I prefer wide-to-normal focal lengths, so I could put together pretty decent kits in either format that I think I'd be happy with, and the price, size, and weight wouldn't be terribly dissimilar.

Looks like m4/3 is better covered for macro and telephoto primes as well as reasonably fast constant aperture zooms, although I think one can use adapters to get Sony's non-mirrorless lenses on there as well. I still think, after my quick look, that I'd probably lean towards m4/3, but it would be a tougher choice than I'd thought.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2013
    ...My passions are wildlife ....

Depending on what sort of 'wildlife' and how close / what sort of pics you're after (of said subjects) ... $700 sounds somewhat ... hopeful / optimistic - imo.

pp
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    I like primes and I prefer wide-to-normal focal lengths

Then check out the Fuji system. I find it very tempting.

APS-C mirrorless is also better suited to using adapted legacy rangefinder lenses if that matters to you.

But I don't mean to argue with Andy's experience. I've never used m4/3.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited December 5, 2013
    Jmphotocraft - Thanks for your input. I'll start a new thread at some point. I had started exploring alternatives a year ago but got sidetracked.

Andy got my attention with his recommendation of the Panasonic LUMIX GX7. And I bumped into an extremely positive review of the Sony Alpha Nex 7 by Trey Ratcliff.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    I will be heading to Tanzania in January, my umpteenth safari (according to my wife!) in the past several years.... and I am *ONLY* bringing the Micro 4/3s system: Panasonic GH3, and Olympus OM-D EM-1. Primary lenses: Panasonic 100-300 (200-600mm equiv), Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 (70-200mm equiv), as well as 12-35 f/2.8, 12mm f/2, and 17.5mm f/.95.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    I saw your ringing endorsement of Micro 4/3 on the promotion film for your workshops and it should give everyone pause for thought.

I wonder what you would recommend for $700, which was the original question, ??.

On my recent gear safari I was a bit put off by a couple of friends with 4/3 from Panasonic who said the focus was slow. Still, the long term is probably mirror less and so a good place to start perhaps.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    Then check out the Fuji system. I find it very tempting.

I am somewhat aware of them, and the next time a friend/family member asks for a reco, perhaps I'll check them out more. I do like the idea of what they're doing, and their 23 f/1.4 (I think) looks really nice for what I like as a walk-around lens. However, I'm personally not very interested. I'm actually pretty happy with my D300/D90 and my meager collection of glass for the time being. I will save my pennies to gradually upgrade myself into better glass and eventually into full frame, and I'm not interested in having multiple camera systems.

Certainly with Fuji, Sony, m4/3, plus the "traditional" DSLRs, we are blessed to have such an amazing selection of tools available to us these days. I think the OP could do just fine building a "starter" kit in any of these formats.
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    I am somewhat aware of them, and the next time a friend/family member asks for a reco, perhaps I'll check them out more. I do like the idea of what they're doing, and their 23 f/1.4 (I think) looks really nice for what I like as a walk-around lens. However, I'm personally not very interested. I'm actually pretty happy with my D300/D90 and my meager collection of glass for the time being. I will save my pennies to gradually upgrade myself into better glass and eventually into full frame, and I'm not interested in having multiple camera systems.

Certainly with Fuji, Sony, m4/3, plus the "traditional" DSLRs, we are blessed to have such an amazing selection of tools available to us these days. I think the OP could do just fine building a "starter" kit in any of these formats.

I hear you, my current photo needs are best served by DSLRs because I shoot sports. If all I was shooting was family candids and portraits, or if I were more into street photography I'd be all about the smaller, more discrete form factor, and Fuji would be at the top of my list. In fact, when I am shooting family candids, I use my Fuji X100S more. I wouldn't recommend it as an only camera due to the fixed lens, but it's a great compliment to a DSLR system. I sold my 35L to get it and I'm glad I did.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I will be heading to Tanzania in January, my umpteenth safari (according to my wife!) in the past several years.... and I am *ONLY* bringing the Micro 4/3s system: Panasonic GH3, and Olympus OM-D EM-1. Primary lenses: Panasonic 100-300 (200-600mm equiv), Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 (70-200mm equiv), as well as 12-35 f/2.8, 12mm f/2, and 17.5mm f/.95.

I'll be interested to see/hear about your results. I just took a look at your gallery and I could only find Safari pictures taken with Canon 5Ds, 7D, and Nikon D800. Have you used m4/3 on Safari before?
    -Jack

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    I'd also be interested to hear about any pro w/life shooters who're using anything other than the 'usual suspects' with respect to gear.

pp
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2013
    I'll be interested to see/hear about your results. I just took a look at your gallery and I could only find Safari pictures taken with Canon 5Ds, 7D, and Nikon D800. Have you used m4/3 on Safari before?

Not exclusively :D But I will be in 3 weeks!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I usually agree with Andy (well actually sometimes) however this time I must disagree. I've used a m4/3 camera (the Gh-3) a number of times. I eventually decided not to add it to my kit.

The GH-3 would have done for most of my captures but it trailed my D4 and D800E on two areas significantly. They were in tracking moving subjects and IQ in low light situations. I wasn't happy at the IQ over 1250. Many of my captures with the D4 are at IS) 2000 or higher. In Africa I used the higher ISOs in the early morning or the late afternoon. I wouldn't be comfortable trying to get those captures with the GH-3. Also while the 100-300 is a nifty lens and I love being able to handhold a camera and lens in one hand with a reach of 200mm - 600mm it is just not on par with my 200-400 or my 500mm lenses.

Now a m4/3 will cover about 95% of a normal person's requirements it doesn't meet my needs when I'm photographing wildlife.

Here's an old post of mine with GH-3 pics and my thoughts after my first real test of the GH-3 http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=233389
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    I was wondering what to buy. I have a basic knowledge of slr cameras and want something that will take great pics as I'm learning more. I'm looking to spend around $700. Any suggestions?

Get a Nikon D5200 they are on sell now, excellent camera for a intermediate shooter.