Options

Newby Friendly DSLR

2»

Comments

• Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    UPDATE: Although it probably isn't a newbie friendly camera, The widow of a professional photographer has offered to sell me his Nikon D2H with a 70-300mm AF G Lens for $200.00. I haven't seen it yet but it has about 2,000 shutter clicks on it. Will this be a good investment?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    UPDATE: Although it probably isn't a newbie friendly camera, The widow of a professional photographer has offered to sell me his Nikon D2H with a 70-300mm AF G Lens for $200.00. I haven't seen it yet but it has about 2,000 shutter clicks on it. Will this be a good investment?

The D2H was a fine camera in its day. Very fast AF and a joy to handle. However its only 4.1 MP and I wouldn't take the ISO higher than 400. Adorama is selling one for $400 and I've seen them going for higher than $400 on E-bay so the price of $200 with the lens is a very good price.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited December 11, 2013

If you are willing to consider used cameras I would much rather recommend a Nikon D90 than the Nikon D2H. The D2H is a professional sports body from 2003-2004. As such, it has features which you may find contrary to an easy-to-use newbie body, as well as a rather high noise signature starting at ISO 400 and relatively small pixel count.

In good light and with simple subjects, 8" x 10" prints are no problem, but with more complicated subject matter and in poor light (indoors/night and without a decent flash) I think that you would struggle to appreciate the images compared to a more modern body like the D90 and newer.

The Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G is a consumer tele-zoom and works best if you think of it as a 70-200mm, f5.6-f8. It too is not designed for low-light and indoor images and the 300mm end is pretty soft.

Nothing wrong with the $200 price for the pair and yes, you could learn much from that body and lens, but it's not what I would necessarily recommend for your intended uses of, "macro photos of flowers and insects ... portraits of my grandkids and other family, and I also love doing landscapes. My passions are wildlife and kids portraits."

Again, I can recommend a used Nikon D90 (in the $300s-USD), but for the above uses I think that you need a larger budget. Certainly you could start smaller and build to a more complete kit.

Figure $350-ish for a used D90 plus add a used flash and flash modifier plus add a few lenses. If you give us your priorities on what you want to achieve first we can be more explicit on recommendations for first lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    Thanks, this answers a big question I had. Whether it would be difficult to figure out. The ISO use is also an important factor. I did notice that the batteries were ridiculously expensive for this camera.