My ultimate S9000 600mm Digital Zoom presentaion:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1057090

I still can't believe it.

Hope you find this of interest.

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Can you explain to me what you did on these pics?
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be impressed with!ne_nau.gif
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    ultimate S9000 600mm Digital Zoom presentaion
    The camera did all the work.

Who said you were to be impressed?

Regards, Nicholas
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    The camera did all the work.

Who said you were to be impressed?

Regards, Nicholas

Nick - I'm sure that Mitchell is just trying to say that he's not certain what he's looking at - and honestly, neither am I headscratch.gif

It's all good - but some more explanation would help.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    Me neither.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 21, 2005
    Ultimate S9000 600mm Digital Zoom presentaion
    It is quite clear if you read my captions.

I am showing you all the detail that can be captured by the s9000 in Digital Zoom mode at 600 mm.

I also show the scene from the same vantage point at 28mm.

You do have to double click on the panoramaic image to see it at full size ( for the web) in a new window.

Regards, Nicholas
    edited December 21, 2005
    It is quite clear if you read my captions.

I am showing you all the detail that can be captured by the s9000 in Digital Zoom mode at 600 mm.

I also show the scene from the same vantage point at 28mm.

You do have to double click on the panoramaic image to see it at full size ( for the web) in a new window.

Regards, Nicholas

OK Nick - let's see: You've got a Neurosurgeon, and Eye Doc, and Me, three of us, that say headscratch.gif - and then you still tell us "it's quite clear" well it wasn't.

Use your captions in SmugMug, and tell the viewer what to do thumb.gif that would make it really easy, even for a moron like me to get it lol3.gif

Cheers,
    edited December 21, 2005
    Let see if I am getting closer, Nick - the third image - the panoramic - is not from a single frame but is a composite of images shot at 600mm?? Is that what you are saying?

The detail in the panoramic IS good. I am sure the S9000 is a fine camera - the reviews have been favorable.

But I will continue to use my old fashioned SLR for a little while longer. I've grown accustomed to them over the last 40 years or so. Why would I want to give up all that heavy weightne_nau.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

And Andy, Mitchell is an Ear Nose and Throat surgeon, not a neurosurgeon from his profile. I'm just a motorcyclist. :):

edited December 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

And Andy, Mitchell is an Ear Nose and Throat surgeon, not a neurosurgeon from his profile. I'm just a motorcyclist. :):

I stand corrected - Still - two smart guys, and me - none of us got it the first go-round lol3.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I stand corrected - Still - two smart guys, and me - none of us got it the first go-round lol3.gif
    I'm pretty close to having 3 degrees in mechanical engineering, and I didn't get it till now either. Man, are we dumb!

rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 21, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm pretty close to having 3 degrees in mechanical engineering, and I didn't get it till now either. Man, are we dumb!

rolleyes1.gif

Don't feel bad, Doc - they say, the third time's a charm lol3.gif
    edited December 21, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Don't feel bad, Doc - they say, the third time's a charm lol3.gif
    that's what I keep hoping for.
    Erik

edited December 21, 2005
    Ultimate S9000 600mm Digital Zoom presentaion
    Digital Grin needs a Prosumer forum.

This thread cearly shows the DSLR slant of the posters and moderator.

Regards, Nicholas
    edited December 21, 2005

Regards, Nicholas

Nick - with all due respect - we've been really courteous, in the face of insult. I'm sorry you are taking things the wrong way.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't anybody do what nick showed us, using any picture, from any camera? i can crop a close up of any part of any of the pictures i've taken with my slr, it's the same thing as with the s9000. maybe i'm wrong. . .
    edited December 21, 2005
    ... and moderator.
    For the record, there are three moderators currently posting within this thread, who were all equally confused. Apparently we're all out to get you, right?

Yeah, I'm the bad cop. grrrr.
    Erik

edited December 21, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't anybody do what nick showed us, using any picture, from any camera? i can crop a close up of any part of any of the pictures i've taken with my slr, it's the same thing as with the s9000. maybe i'm wrong. . .

Y'know, after the third explanation, I finally understand what he's showing here, it's a whole mess of shots at 600mm (I think) with the new Fuji 9000 - pretty darn good, detail and sharpness :D

Nick - we're pretty much dumber than a collective box of rocks here. You have to spoon feed us. Like this: I grabbed a 400px by 400px section of your shot - many folks won't click 3 or 4 times to to get from here to the original, so you have to shove it in their faces lol3.gif What is this, like from 1/2 mile away? Pretty darn good if you ask me. (I applied a skosh more sharpening, to bring out the details a tad more...)

For the telephoto crowd (my longest lens is 200mm) this is a real find!
    edited December 21, 2005

Regards, Nicholas

Nick - you did not answer my question. Please answer it. Is the panoramic a composite of several images shot at 600mm or is it a crop from one frame?

I did say that the S9000 had received some good reviews. I am glad you are so pleased with it. Shoot some pictures with it - post them here in the appropriate threads. P&Ss - or maybe better - non-interchangeable lens cameras can take great images. We all know that here - really - we DO know that skilled photographers can take excellent pictures with a variety of tools. Photographers, (and great lighting), not cameras, are what make great images. I said previously, and I meant it, that I am still shopping for a 'walk about' camera to replace my heavy DSLRs. Andy has a Sony R1 on order. Wxwax used a G3 for a long time. I still own and carry my G5 frequently.

You are correct, of course, that there is a strong DSLR contingent here - but you do not seem to be aware that many of us own, use, and post images from P&S cameras as well as DSLRs.

My inspection of the panoramic you have in your gallery looks strongly like a composite of multiple images to me. You could composite multiple images from a DSLR telephots also of course.

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005

Regards, Nicholas

Err Nick, I have read the replies here and I have yet to find anyone praising DSLRs or knocking the 9000.

The only person with a "slant" here seems to be yourself with your countless threads on the 9000. I'm glad you're happy with the camera. If you want to demonstrate its abilities take some pictures and post them in the shots forums. The proof is in the pics.

Personally I think my camera is the best one out there and I think every user here pretty much feels the same way about their camera. The only way I can convince the Canonites and other heathens that my camera is the best is by posting pictures.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 21, 2005
    Harry - you do know that gluwater shoots with a Canon don't you. And you are allowing him to enter your domicile??

What WILL you do when you finally see the error of your ways, and begin to crave a WHITE lens? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    (my longest lens is 200mm)

You totally need to get with it mister. How can you think of calling yourself a real photographer if your lenses only go up to 200mm? :lol
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited December 21, 2005
    I know, I feel so sorry for himlol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I know, I feel so sorry for himlol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

His lenses probably don't even get up past f/2.8 poor guy.

What do you mean lower is better???
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    His lenses probably don't even get up past f/2.8 poor guy.

they make lenses that are higher than f/2.8?!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Harry - you do know that gluwater shoots with a Canon don't you. And you are allowing him to enter your domicile??

What WILL you do when you finally see the error of your ways, and begin to crave a WHITE lens? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Nikon does make that greyish lens that helps for the transition over to canon.

Sort of like methadone.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Personally, I just use Type-Ex on my black Digital Zuikos to stand out as if I were a Canon shooter. People must be really impressed, since they get that funny look if they see me with my lenses.

Back on topic: I too am impressed with the digital zoom on that Fuji. It looks like a great camera to use.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited December 22, 2005
    Ultimat S9000 600mm Digital Zoom presentation
    Yes Andy, you finally got it.

Pathfinder, There is no camera that would gather that much detail as shown in image #3 with a single frame. Of course, it is a panoramic image.

Harryb, My numerous S9000 posts as you call them, all relate to the S9000 as a camera in use, that is why I post them in the Camera Forum.
    You will never find me knocking anybody's camera choice nor find me saying my camera is better than yours. Andy previously and mistakenly closed a thread and accused me of making such statements. I knock nobody. My intent is to educate others, if they care to read my posts, with factual, un-emotional, Non-Ego, images about my S9000.

Andy, Please remember you wrote "Nick - we're pretty much dumber than a collective box of rocks here.", I didn't. Someone here will likely think I wrote this. It is not my sentiment either and I am sure you wrote tounge in check.
    The real problem is, if you re-read some replies on this thread, others somehow feel offended when one shows images from a prosumer camera.
    I am just about the only one who posts about his prosumer, I am sure other Prosumer owners are intimidated by some of the responses I have received. Read the tone in the first reply in this thread by Mitchell, quite rude, and you wrote back to rationlize his statement.

I do think it is time for a Prosumer Forum.

Regards, Nicholas
    edited December 22, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    they make lenses that are higher than f/2.8?!
    Nope, go back to bed, its gonna be ok. lol3.gif
    Erik

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    I am just about the only one who posts about his prosumer

Yes, but there are other people posting images taken with prosumers. I think the fun of this board is that it doesn't matter what you're using, it's all about photography. You don't find me posting test images from my new Digital Zuiko 50mm f2 macro lens (wow!). You might see pictures taken with that lens. And Dgrin used to have split prosumer / SLR forum, and ended up having one camera forum, which I personally prefer.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited December 22, 2005

Pathfinder, There is no camera that would gather that much detail as shown in image #3 with a single frame. Of course, it is a panoramic image.

Harryb, My numerous S9000 posts as you call them, all relate to the S9000 as a camera in use, that is why I post them in the Camera Forum.
    You will never find me knocking anybody's camera choice nor find me saying my camera is better than yours. Andy previously and mistakenly closed a thread and accused me of making such statements. I knock nobody. My intent is to educate others, if they care to read my posts, with factual, un-emotional, Non-Ego, images about my S9000.

Andy, Please remember you wrote "Nick - we're pretty much dumber than a collective box of rocks here.", I didn't. Someone here will likely think I wrote this. It is not my sentiment either and I am sure you wrote tounge in check.
    The real problem is, if you re-read some replies on this thread, others somehow feel offended when one shows images from a prosumer camera.
    I am just about the only one who posts about his prosumer, I am sure other Prosumer owners are intimidated by some of the responses I have received. Read the tone in the first reply in this thread by Mitchell, quite rude, and you wrote back to rationlize his statement.

Regards, Nicholas

Hi Nick - as I said, it's all good. I think you misunderstood again - I said that I and a couple others were being dumb - because it wasn't obvious what you were trying to show. We're all for great demonstrations here, and we all appreciate what most any camera can do - from pinhole to the gigapixel camera (and yeah, if you search dgrin for both, you'll find threads on both).

We don't need a prosumer forum - "Cameras" covers it all - and we'd all do well to focus just a tiny bit more on what we can do with our cameras, rather than what our cameras can do for us.

Let's move on - to the next frame, next shot, next lens test, next landscape, bird, macro, next infrared, next hockey shot, next photography discussion thumb.gif

All the best,
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005

Regards, Nicholas

Ugh!

I'm over this discussion. If I came across as rude, I certainly didn't mean to. You need a thicker skin than that if you are so easily offended by responses to posts on the internet!