A Better Way to Dodge and Burn?

2»

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif basically Roberto I'm trying to do something that is'nt possiblerolleyes1.gif make a poor shot look good! I'ts time to trash itthumb.gif

I dunno, Lynn, I don't think it's a bad shot. It's not clear what you're trying to highlight, tho. It all looks kinda muddy right now. I thought you were trying to emphasize the water, but it's the grass that's brighter in this version.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I dunno, Lynn, I don't think it's a bad shot. It's not clear what you're trying to highlight, tho. It all looks kinda muddy right now. I thought you were trying to emphasize the water, but it's the grass that's brighter in this version.
    Got lost in the plot Sid.. you know how that is.. I'll never get anywhere with this shot.. it's not working for me.. "gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em" :puke1
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    Any areas on the layer that are darker than 50% gray will darken the underlying image (burning). Guess what happens if your foreground color is white (or a shade of gray lighter than 50%)??? You start to lighten the underlying image (dodging). If you dodge or burn an area and you don't like the result? Set your foreground color to 50% gray and paint over the area. The dodge/burn effect will be wiped away!

cletus
    First off thanks for the tut.
    I'm having trouble wrapping my small brain around this concept for one reason...
    What if you have a part of an image that it greater than 50% gray and you want to burn it? Same vice versa. Less than 50% gray and want to dodge it?

I can see allot of applications for this but I can't get past this point. Thanks for your time.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2006
    If you try it, you'll see how easy it is. You don't have to worry about what's grey and what isn't. Just set your brush to black or white (white to lighten, black to darken) and set your brush opacity fairly low - say 2. Then paint away. If you hate it, just drag the layer to the trash.

But it's really easy, I use this technique all the time.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 4, 2006
    I really know nothing about CS2. This becomes clearer with each passsing day. Great technique.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2006
    This is one of my favorite cs2 techniques. Here's a quick before and after of a sandcastle builder:

Before:
    107807039-M.jpg

After:
    107807122-M.jpg

Only other changes: slight crop, noise reduction, desaturation of a couple brightly colored distracting items.

Easy to use and beneficial to most shots.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited November 4, 2006
    Did a bit of messing around with this. Still need to work on brush control a bit but for some reason I could not get the brush out of the pinpoint accuracy mode.

Before
    103821577-L-5.jpg

After
    107843310-L.jpg

I'm totally digging this method.

Before
    106000418-L.jpg

After
    107845725-L.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    Truth,

If the Caps lock key is on, you will be stuck on the cross hairs accuracy mode with the Brush tool.

I prefer using Cletus method, on a layer, but by using soft edge Brush Tool in the Overlay Blending mode - that way I can paint right onto the image the contrast and brightness or darkness that I prefer and watch as I do it, and then finally fine tune it with the Opacity Blending slider.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Truth,

If the Caps lock key is on, you will be stuck on the cross hairs accuracy mode with the Brush tool.

I prefer using Cletus method, on a layer, but by using soft edge Brush Tool in the Overlay Blending mode - that way I can paint right onto the image the contrast and brightness or darkness that I prefer and watch as I do it, and then finally fine tune it with the Opacity Blending slider.

Caps Lock! Brilliant!

I was using cletus method on a layer. It's really a much more controlled way to use dodge and burn which I'd always found to very crude tools.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 5, 2006
    That's what Cletus taught here. I agree.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • txdude35txdude35 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    cletus
    First off thanks for the tut.
    I'm having trouble wrapping my small brain around this concept for one reason...
    What if you have a part of an image that it greater than 50% gray and you want to burn it? Same vice versa. Less than 50% gray and want to dodge it?

I can see allot of applications for this but I can't get past this point. Thanks for your time.

Setting the foreground color to black or white on the overlay layer will dodge or burn whichever part of the photo you paint over, regardless of the underlying color.
    edited November 12, 2006
    txdude35 wrote:
    Setting the foreground color to black or white on the overlay layer will dodge or burn whichever part of the photo you paint over, regardless of the underlying color.

Correct, but the relative effectiveness is, well, relative to the underlying color.
  • txdude35txdude35 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Correct, but the relative effectiveness is, well, relative to the underlying color.

Perhaps adjusting the opacity would help?
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    This is very similar to paint with light technique, there is even an action that puts the layers all on for you all you do is paint at http://www.atncentral.com/ mwink.gif
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Wow!!! I just tested this out. Just wanted to say thank you!
  • rt1rt1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    A dodge/burn question based on the technique in this thread. When I dodge/burn and set opacity at less than 100% (let's say 20%) and brush the desired area while holding the mouse button, that area is changed by the amount set (20%). If I release the button, press it again and then go over the previously worked on area, that area is further dodged/burned by 20%, giving an overall effect of 40%. My question is, is there any way that I can go over a previously done area after releasing the mouse button and pressing it again and not have the effect accumulate? My reason is that I might not have completely covered an area the first time, or I might have to move the photo on my screen to get access to a different part, and the areas where I overlap are going to have the accumulated effect.

Chris
  • bikergirlbikergirl Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thanks for sharing - I love this way of dodging and burning