The 2+ terabyte Question

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    Oh ya :D:D:D:D I hope those are hooked up to XServes. Man we really need to see the plans for the data center - while not breeching security.

You take his word he is real and spend $20,000 WOW. Me personally I want to have 10,000+ photos on-line come end of Q1 06. and double that by end of 2006.

If I ever have 10,000 shots that are good enough to put on smugmug I'll be surprised. :uhoh
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    You guys rule!
    I have been trying to decide between smugmug, flickr and pbase over the past few weeks, and this thread basically sealed my decision. While I'll never have anywhere near a terabyte of images, I am sure that if I am to have any problems they will be handled effectively! thumb.gif

Also posted about it on my blog at http://lucis.net.
  • sludge01sludge01 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    I posted about this in my blog at http://www.downwithtables.org because it's just too good NOT to mention. Hopefully I'll turn at least one more photographer on to you guys.

SmugMug rocks!
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2005
    To satisfy my curiousity Bl8ter, could you provide a link to one of your typical photos in original size?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Sheaf wrote:
    To satisfy my curiousity Bl8ter, could you provide a link to one of your typical photos in original size?

wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin, Sheaf mwink.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin, Sheaf mwink.gif

Nothing like a number-filled thread to bring me out to make my first post.

My lurking days are over, I guess.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • crayiiicrayiii Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Holy Cow!
    You must do some serious bracketing!!!!!!
  • felixbfelixb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2006
    Doesnt make business sense!
    Im more worried by this thread than impressed.

With what I am hearing how on earth can you have a business model that is profitable with spending 20k on one user?

It worries me that the plans are unlimited, because this leaves you, the company, open for abuse! I would prefer limited plans that meant I could rely on smugmug to not get swamped by people abusing the service and be around for the years to come.

Dont you agree?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    It depends on the law of averages and the law of large numbers
    felixb wrote:
    Im more worried by this thread than impressed.

With what I am hearing how on earth can you have a business model that is profitable with spending 20k on one user?

It worries me that the plans are unlimited, because this leaves you, the company, open for abuse! I would prefer limited plans that meant I could rely on smugmug to not get swamped by people abusing the service and be around for the years to come.

Dont you agree?

This is a simple (and relatively common) business proposition. Smugmug uses the "unlimited storage" to attract customers and relies on a law of averages across a large number of users such that the average storage use per user is fairly predicatable even if a few users go nuts. They also know that it would likely take a long, long time for this user to actually upload that many images which means it's a pretty big time committment on the user's end which further limits how many people will actually do this. As their subscriber numbers get larger, the average will be dictated more by what their middle class of user uses than it will be what the extreme users use.

It's related to the business logic that cell phone companies offering unlimited cellular plans use. If everyone who has an unlimited plan took maximum advantage of those plans, the cell phone companies wouldn't have enough capacity to meet the demand, but they rely on the law of averages and their experience to date to predict an average usage and price that plan at a point that still makes business sense to them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Smugmug is genuinely Unlimited upload and space. Think about it. Someone with 30,000 photos, 500,000 photos is going to use lots of bandwidth and that is where Smugmug will make their money along with photo sales.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    o.O

I thought my ~20,000 photos (~0.3 tb) over the past 5 years were a lot :p

I'm really impressed by the smugmug response to this thread. So different from the other 'commericalized' services (who don't even have forums like this!), smugmug feels a lot more like a professional photographer's resource.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Has this started yet? I am very curious to what all these pictures are of? Is this guy a photographer for a living?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    clap.gif WOW... this is awesome! Smugmug you R so cool! clap.gif
    This is going to be exciting just watching how it plays out.
    Ahhhhh.... Smugmug I hope somehow all our sites are protected while he's uploading rolleyes1.gif please don't let him break our sites... oh yeah... forgot to ask this won't raise our prices will it??? eek7.gif

Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    This is one of the coolest threads I've read on here. As I approach my one year mark (~9 days until renewal :D) with smugmug, I'm happier than ever - this place rocks!

And..yeah..I'd love to see some of bl8ter's work once he starts uploading.
  • infinityplusoneinfinityplusone Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    Found the forum, and this thread from the below links...

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2087/the_recherche_of

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,9710

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Good karma to the owner for doing what you advertise. :):

Any updates?
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Holy cow.:jawdrop :oogle :jawdrop :oogle I thought I had a lot of photos to upload when I signed up about 2 weeks ago. I took me a little over a week to upload over 70,000 pictures (50gb) via a couple of cable modems.

This guy has been shooting like I do on the weekends. 500,000 / (365 *2) = almost 700 a day! If he's working 8 hrs a day, that's one shot every 42 seconds!!

The best I ever did was 1400 something shots in 20 hours. And that's only one shot every 51 seconds!! And I was dead after that! Well, not completely because I woke up 4 hours later and shot another thousand. eek7.gif

This has me wondering now--how many large archives are here on smugmug? So I guess it's time for a new thread, "How much storage do you use on smugmug?"
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited February 7, 2006
    Did this ever take place?
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Did this ever take place?

We're getting close. The new image processing servers are in place ($20K worth), and the new storage ($25K worth) was being installed last night. We also upgraded our bandwidth a couple of huge notches (can you says Gigabit Ethernet?) last night. Once I hear from Wireless how that went, we may be ready to go. I'd guess maybe a week or two more, tops.

We're excited to see all these photos - sounds like quite a collection!

More as I get it. :)

Don
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    (can you says Gigabit Ethernet?)

Don

Tsk Tsk Tsk. Don thats old school. Been running a true 100% gigabit ethernet here for awhile. It's alot of fun for file transporting. But even quickbooks can make it seem slow :uhohrolleyes1.gif.

Anyways, I have to say the level of customer support, and dedication to keeping your customers happy still amazes me. thumb.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Gigabit to the Internet
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. Don thats old school. Been running a true 100% gigabit ethernet here for awhile. It's alot of fun for file transporting. But even quickbooks can make it seem slow.

Yeah, but do you have a Gigabit Ethernet connection to the Internet? Presumably, that's what Don is talking about.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited February 7, 2006
    bl8ter... where are you?
    Doesn't look like we have heard from bl8ter lately... is he still around??? Hate for all of this extra capacity just to be there for our use mwink.gif

edited February 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Yeah, but do you have a Gigabit Ethernet connection to the Internet? Presumably, that's what Don is talking about.

--John
    Ahh maybe But if they do have a GigE connection (and people complain about the cost of dslrolleyes1.gif) then all I can say is, I am willing to move if another network/admin geek is needed.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited February 7, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Doesn't look like we have heard from bl8ter lately... is he still around??? Hate for all of this extra capacity just to be there for our use mwink.gif

Guess we will just have to step up to the challenge.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited February 7, 2006
    Tsk Tsk Tsk. Don thats old school. Been running a true 100% gigabit ethernet here for awhile. It's alot of fun for file transporting. But even quickbooks can make it seem slow :uhohrolleyes1.gif.

Anyways, I have to say the level of customer support, and dedication to keeping your customers happy still amazes me. thumb.gif

SmugMug was built on GigE internally... but we're new to the "GigE between datacenters and providers" club. :)

You're a lucky duck if you've got GigE to some provider. Kudos!

Don
    edited February 7, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    SmugMug was built on GigE internally... but we're new to the "GigE between datacenters and providers" club. :)

You're a lucky duck if you've got GigE to some provider. Kudos!

Don

No, :uhoh you said gigabit ethernet so I thought originally you were finally upgrading from 10/100 internally. Then figured out you ment a GigE internet connection.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Just read the whole thread....

It seems amazing enough that someone can shoot or even have that many photos, but what really shocks me is having that many photos worth keeping, especially so much so that you will spend likely days if not weeks simply uploading them, never mind viewing them, cataloging, adding captions, etc.

I have thousands of photos, but only a small % are worth keeping, never mind sharing or taking up HD space...
    edited February 8, 2006
    No, :uhoh you said gigabit ethernet so I thought originally you were finally upgrading from 10/100 internally. Then figured out you ment a GigE internet connection.

Not only do we have some new GigE links, we have some new toys that're capable of 10GigE. Mmmmm.

Don
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 8, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    i'm with you jim. my bs-sense has been tingling for a little while now. I suppose he could be communicating exclusively with SM offline, but i just dont see how someone could shoot that type of volume and have that many keeper photos.

i hope this is for real....i'd love to see 900gig of the best ant macro photos i've ever seen.
    Pedal faster
  • bl8terbl8ter Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i'm with you jim. my bs-sense has been tingling for a little while now. I suppose he could be communicating exclusively with SM offline, but i just dont see how someone could shoot that type of volume and have that many keeper photos.

i hope this is for real....i'd love to see 900gig of the best ant macro photos i've ever seen.

Let me set the record straight.... I travel 90 percent of the time for my job, which often takes me to remote regions of the globe. This collection has been buildt over long period of time. Just last week I spent 15 days in Kenya and amassed 16 gigs of raw pictures which when translated to jpeg equals about 7gig. I shot over 1200 photos.

While I can't say every photo is award winning. I can claim that anyone who has never been to any of these remote locations would definitly feel they had been there after viewing my photos.

Given that I travel atlot, when I am at home I spend my time with my family. So computers and photography come after. Which doesn't leave much time.

As far as a status update I am currently in the process of restoring and organizing my photos for transfer. Since I have limited time at home its going slower then I had expected.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 10, 2006
    bl8ter wrote:
    Let me set the record straight.... I travel 90 percent of the time for my job, which often takes me to remote regions of the globe. This collection has been buildt over long period of time. Just last week I spent 15 days in Kenya and amassed 16 gigs of raw pictures which when translated to jpeg equals about 7gig. I shot over 1200 photos.

While I can't say every photo is award winning. I can claim that anyone who has never been to any of these remote locations would definitly feel they had been there after viewing my photos.

Given that I travel atlot, when I am at home I spend my time with my family. So computers and photography come after. Which doesn't leave much time.

As far as a status update I am currently in the process of restoring and organizing my photos for transfer. Since I have limited time at home its going slower then I had expected.

consider the record set straight....i look forward to going to Kenya!
    Pedal faster