Options

Preview: new add to cart flow

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 27, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Kinda like flagging which photos to later buy.
    I don't think I addressed that in my response, but it's a good idea. In my mind, it's a gallery style issue, no? It would happen before adding to cart as you're browsing, like marking favorites. It doesn't feel like a replacement for this, but still a good idea.
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2014
    With the new shopping cart design - will it be possible to save the cart and return to it later (from different computer)???
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 27, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    When you add to cart, you're given three options:

The wording for the button Checkout will likely change to View Cart, depending on the outcome of more user tests.

The wording for the button that says Continue Shopping is still being worked on. The idea is it lets you order different items for the same photo.

I know you're still working on the wording -- hopefully it ends up clear that the 3 options are:
    1) View Cart - and proceed to checkout / credit card / shipping information stages.
    2) Continue ordering different products for the same image
    3) Return to the Gallery or whatever page they were on before.

My first reaction is that "Continue Shopping" means "Return to Gallery" since I'd be interested in continuing to shop for prints of different photos, which is not the case. Whatever wording you settle on should be clear on that it means for the same photo.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    My first reaction is that "Continue Shopping" means "Return to Gallery" since I'd be interested in continuing to shop for prints of different photos, which is not the case.
    Yeah, that was my reaction too. We need better wording.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2014
    photoclick wrote: »
    With the new shopping cart design - will it be possible to save the cart and return to it later (from different computer)???
    Hi Photoclick,

In order to accomplish that from a technical perspective, the user would have to have a login. In order to reduce friction for first-time and non repeat buyers, we don't require that now. But it's a feature request we hear sometimes so we can save their carts, they can leave comments, etc.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2014
    I don't think I addressed that in my response, but it's a good idea. In my mind, it's a gallery style issue, no? It would happen before adding to cart as you're browsing, like marking favorites. It doesn't feel like a replacement for this, but still a good idea.
    Favorites only work for events so the majority couldn't use it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 27, 2014
    In order to accomplish that from a technical perspective, the user would have to have a login. In order to reduce friction for first-time and non repeat buyers, we don't require that now. But it's a feature request we hear sometimes so we can save their carts, they can leave comments, etc.

What about a unique cookie in conjunction with an email address? You could then email a link to the saved cart that was valid for a short period of time.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Favorites only work for events so the majority couldn't use it.
    Yeah, currently. So much to do.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    Is this going to get a revamp too so that the design is consistent? I imagine you could just replace the Right Panel in the current implementation with what you showed us for a single photo and wallah, all set!
    Interesting idea. We'll talk about this when you visit.
  • Options
    SmugSamSmugSam Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2014
    Exciting to see this being tackled, and looks a huge improvement.

Certainly anything that helps customers navigate the range of options more simply is a bonus. I would definitely welcome improved information on the various products/finishes available (i.e. the text and videos Chris talks about) as well as making it more intuitive to access (to access the product videos currently you have to select a product, then notice that after a second the preview window slides over to offer the product video). Currently I augment the information in the shopping cart with a separate page explaining the different print finishes - as do others like Aaron, seeing as I copied his ;) This is not ideal, and also not intuitive for customers.

Can't wait to see these change start to come off the production line!

Sam
    regards,
    Sam
    edited September 1, 2014
    love love love the changes guys! Thumbs up from me.

In terms of ideas, things I would like to see are:
    - customisation options for shopping cart. i.e. ability to switch on/off the cropping feature. Perhaps enable/disable volume print options.
    - allow everyone to add their logo to the shopping cart. It's hardly a big feature so I don't see why it's restricted to only 'business' users.
    - Something I would love to see is an product preview or example. Say if someone is ordering a canvas, or framed print they can view a mockup of what it might look like. A lot of people want to visualise what the print might look like in their home or office and I'm sure this would help persuade a lot of people who are unsure about ordering expensive prints over the internet.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2014
    Shinrya wrote: »
    - Something I would love to see is an product preview or example. Say if someone is ordering a canvas, or framed print they can view a mockup of what it might look like. A lot of people want to visualise what the print might look like in their home or office and I'm sure this would help persuade a lot of people who are unsure about ordering expensive prints over the internet.

I second this :)thumb.gif
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2014
    SmugSam wrote: »
    Exciting to see this being tackled, and looks a huge improvement.

Certainly anything that helps customers navigate the range of options more simply is a bonus. I would definitely welcome improved information on the various products/finishes available (i.e. the text and videos Chris talks about) as well as making it more intuitive to access (to access the product videos currently you have to select a product, then notice that after a second the preview window slides over to offer the product video). Currently I augment the information in the shopping cart with a separate page explaining the different print finishes - as do others like Aaron, seeing as I copied his ;) This is not ideal, and also not intuitive for customers.

Can't wait to see these change start to come off the production line!

Sam
    Thanks, Sam. I just went to your site to see how you do it. Beautiful photos, beautiful customization you have. I'm a little bit jealous of all the places you've been.

I didn't realize that in the case of Loxley Colour, our European lab, they made the videos we place in the shopping cart when someone selects Loxley as their print lab:

http://smugmugtutes.smugmug.com/Other/Loxley-product-videos/28388738_7mRhj6#!i=2403987973&k=qrJPf2Z/A

It seems they do a pretty good job of showing the print in a home and closeups of the construction and finish, no?
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2014
    Hi everyone -

1. I like this idea :
    "- Something I would love to see is an product preview or example. Say if someone is ordering a canvas, or framed print they can view a mockup of what it might look like. A lot of people want to visualise what the print might look like in their home or office and I'm sure this would help persuade a lot of people who are unsure about ordering expensive prints over the internet."
    I think it would be interesting to test market this concept to see if it leads to an increase in sales.

2. As a side note, I get a lot of questions still from Smuggers on how do set up my price list, etc.. I refer people to this page "How do I price photos in order to sell them?", but at least once a week I have to take a few moments to coach a Smugger on how to begin to set up a price list. I suggest the help documentation, the help@smugmug.com, etc.. but the Smugger claims they simply don't understand where to begin. Maybe you can offer some type of on-line seminars on how to set up a price list. Just sayin...

3. What you have set up for mobile devices overall is excellent - great job !
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2014
    jerryr wrote: »
    2. As a side note, I get a lot of questions still from Smuggers on how do set up my price list, etc.. I refer people to this page "How do I price photos in order to sell them?", but at least once a week I have to take a few moments to coach a Smugger on how to begin to set up a price list. I suggest the help documentation, the help@smugmug.com, etc.. but the Smugger claims they simply don't understand where to begin. Maybe you can offer some type of on-line seminars on how to set up a price list. Just sayin...

I second this. A good friend of mine just upgraded his account and tried to setup a price-list and was super confused.

I think some of it stems from the fact that the screens for the Portfolio account are slightly different than those of the Business account. The help page assumes you have a business account. The different areas are mostly for having multiple-price lists and setting one as active. For business you have to make it the active one -- for Portfolio you can only have one so the functionality is limited.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    SmugSamSmugSam Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    Thanks, Sam. I just went to your site to see how you do it. Beautiful photos, beautiful customization you have. I'm a little bit jealous of all the places you've been.

I didn't realize that in the case of Loxley Colour, our European lab, they made the videos we place in the shopping cart when someone selects Loxley as their print lab:

http://smugmugtutes.smugmug.com/Other/Loxley-product-videos/28388738_7mRhj6#!i=2403987973&k=qrJPf2Z/A

It seems they do a pretty good job of showing the print in a home and closeups of the construction and finish, no?

Thanks Chris. Only just back in a place where I can actually stream videos so I could take a look at the Loxley link! I think they demonstrate the finish and detailing far better then the Bay Photo/US videos, which have maybe too much of the spokesperson holding the product. Much easier for customers to see the different gloss/canvas finishes, as well as see the detailing on the RTH hardware etc. Just maybe some less cheesy backing music, maybe... ;)

Sam

Sam
    regards,
    Sam
    edited September 6, 2014
    If I may, I would like to put forward another suggestion as I can't find it in the current cart.

I would love to see the option for prints to be made with a preset white border. Whenever I make a print myself that is to be framed later, I always print with a 1" white border around the image.
    For most people this may not be an issue, but for me I cringe when I see my images from Smugmug printed edge to edge and then framed with no white border between the image and the frame.
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    Is there any update on when these changes to the cart might take effect?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 25, 2014
    Shinrya wrote: »
    Is there any update on when these changes to the cart might take effect?

It has gone through some initial testing already internally. We're wrapping up a few of the minor issues and working on the wording. My hope is that it should begin to be more rigorously tested by our QA team within a couple weeks.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    I still long desperately for 'wallets' to be added to the standard list… I'm always having to advise 'yes we have wallets… go to the other size group instead
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2014
    Please can we have an update on this - since switching from the Paypal 'bodge' to the official Smugmug + Loxley ordering system earlier this year my print sales have all but stopped and its costing me £££'s every month. The feedback I'm getting is the system is too convoluted and confusing.

At the very least I think we are entitled to regular updates on progress...
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2014
    Okay, the preview period is over and it's time to play. Give it a whirl, folks!

You must be:
    • On the new SmugMug
    • Not using IE 9 or earlier
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2014
    Will you be updating the how-to videos?

i.e. this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ee9Zspt7g
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2014
    Will you be updating the how-to videos?

i.e. this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ee9Zspt7g

I don't know, actually. Of course the goal is to have a UI simple enough that a how-to video isn't necessary. We'll have to see if there still confusion about the new design and if a video would be helpful.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    JordanSternJordanStern Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2014
    I like the update, although I think the "add frames and more" button in the cart is way too hard to find. Especially since now when adding to cart you see "wall art" and "paper prints." That will confuse people who want a framed print (which is technically wall art) but it can only be done after adding something in the 'paper prints' section to cart.

So I suggest somehow combining the "add frames and more" options into the add to cart process, and maybe allow them to be editable in the cart (like you already do for sizes in the cart with the 'change product' button).
  • Options
    ddowns61ddowns61 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2014
    New Cart Flow
    The new Cart looked great in the preview but the formatting on my page is terrible. The links to the options are BELOW the image and run off the page. On top of that you can't scroll down to see the bottom items.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2014
    ddowns61 wrote: »
    The new Cart looked great in the preview but the formatting on my page is terrible. The links to the options are BELOW the image and run off the page. On top of that you can't scroll down to see the bottom items.

We would really like to look into this, but you haven't provided any screenshots or a link to your site.

If you give me a link to your site, preferably to a specific gallery that its happening on, I'll look into it.

Also, what operating system and browser are you using?

Thanks.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    A few items...

First, it's a disaster on my phone:

i-NPKB5Bx-L.png

Tested in a different browser on my phone and it works fine, so it's definitely a browser compatibility issue. Not that big a deal if it works fine on iphones.

The other issues are functionality related. I don't see anywhere to get a look at the item for sale. Not a big deal for regular prints, but the merchandise items? Nobody is going to buy a keepsake box from the text description alone. You should be able to show the actual photo on the item itself the way other companies have been doing for probably at least 10 years. But short of that, at least provide a picture or a link to a picture of the blank item. You guys don't help yourselves make sales.

Finally the crop tool. Non-existent on the phone. And on the computer you can't switch from landscape to portrait orientation. Maybe that's for the best... but it seems like an obvious feature that's missing.

On the phone in a compatible browser, it all goes smoothly until you view the cart to finish the purchase... that's when the mobile experience just comes to a crashing halt. Finish what you started and take the nice new look all the way through to the end. Right now on any device it feels like you get forwarded to a different site... or a different decade... when you view the cart.

Other than those few things, great job. It's way simpler than it used to be.

Dave
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »

Tested in a different browser on my phone and it works fine, so it's definitely a browser compatibility issue. Not that big a deal if it works fine on iphones.

Could you let us know which phone/browser you're using?
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    A few items...

What browser/phone/version is this?
    The other issues are functionality related. I don't see anywhere to get a look at the item for sale. Not a big deal for regular prints, but the merchandise items? Nobody is going to buy a keepsake box from the text description alone. You should be able to show the actual photo on the item itself the way other companies have been doing for probably at least 10 years. But short of that, at least provide a picture or a link to a picture of the blank item. You guys don't help yourselves make sales.

Finally the crop tool. Non-existent on the phone. And on the computer you can't switch from landscape to portrait orientation. Maybe that's for the best... but it seems like an obvious feature that's missing.

On the phone in a compatible browser, it all goes smoothly until you view the cart to finish the purchase... that's when the mobile experience just comes to a crashing halt. Finish what you started and take the nice new look all the way through to the end. Right now on any device it feels like you get forwarded to a different site... or a different decade... when you view the cart.

all things we are aware of. some will be resolved shortly.

thanks for your feedback.
    Pedal faster