The 7DmkII Thread.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 16, 2014
    Yeah, Nikon's had this for a while now in some of their cameras.
    Not anti-flicker for still images they don't. The 7DMKII is the first DSLR in history to have that feature. Sorry to rain on your party. mwink.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Not anti-flicker for still images they don't. The 7DMKII is the first DSLR in history to have that feature. Sorry to rain on your party. mwink.gif

Indeed I must have missed where this was listed as a still photography feature, not video. Pretty ingenious, indeed! Ten points for Canon...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2014
    Well, again, contacts have springs, and all springs eventually wear out. With CF cards, the springs are in the card. When you replace the card, you're replacing the spring contacts. In the case of SD cards however, the springs are in your camera. So the penalty for those wearing is quite high: a broken camera.

I had that problem with my F707 and Sony's Memory Stick (remember those?).
    As for breaking CF socket pins in your camera, the only time I've heard of this is when somebody inserted a card the wrong way into the camera -- probably sideways, as cards can't be inserted backwards. I can't see how this would happen otherwise, unless perhaps the card was damaged and had a clogged hole or something. That's not wear, it's damage.

I bent a pin in my card reader when the card didn't go in straight.

Back on topic, I've been contemplating getting a 7d1 now that the 7d2 has been released. The price of a new camera down here is getting close to half the price it was 3 months back. However, the comments here have set me thinking that maybe it's not such a good idea. I do want a crop camera with better ISO capabilities than my 40d though, but as someone mentioned earlier, the form factor of the 40d and 7d are something I do like a lot.
    edited October 18, 2014
    BigAl wrote: »
    Back on topic, I've been contemplating getting a 7d1 now that the 7d2 has been released. The price of a new camera down here is getting close to half the price it was 3 months back. However, the comments here have set me thinking that maybe it's not such a good idea.
    Why not, Al? The 7D is a great camera. I use mine all the time.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2014
    Why not, Al? The 7D is a great camera. I use mine all the time.
    Thanks for the thumbs up Joel.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2014
    This guy probably has the most compelling examples from a pre-production 7DII to date:

http://www.romyocon.net/

The AF, ISO, and IQ performance seal the deal for me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited October 24, 2014
    DPReview has their Studio Scene Comparison tool working for the Canon 7D Mark II:
    (From DPReview: "We've loaded JPEGs only for ISO 25600 and 51200 for now, once we have Raw support for those settings we will update with Raw files.")

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/8
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    DPReview has their Studio Scene Comparison tool working for the Canon 7D Mark II:
    (From DPReview: "We've loaded JPEGs only for ISO 25600 and 51200 for now, once we have Raw support for those settings we will update with Raw files.")

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/8

Looks to me like noise holds back pretty well up to 6400, but detail loss gets pretty bad by 3200. Pretty impressive!

I definitely think we're bumping up against the wall of what is physically possible with photons in buckets, at least with current sensor design. A friend who is literally getting a PHD in "photons and buckets" (astronomy and astro-physics) agrees with me. In other words, I didn't expect any better than this, and I don't in the foreseeable future.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    This guy probably has the most compelling examples from a pre-production 7DII to date:

http://www.romyocon.net/

The AF, ISO, and IQ performance seal the deal for me.

That is a screaming example!!! Placed a deposit on one about 4 weeks ago. Can't wait for it to hit the US.
    edited October 28, 2014
    Two more days before shipments start (Oct 30). I know I'm pretty excited. Just in time for gymnastics season. deal.gif
    edited October 28, 2014
    Two more days before shipments start (Oct 30). I know I'm pretty excited. Just in time for gymnastics season. deal.gif

And just in time for ski season!

5D3_3027-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 28, 2014
    That will be playoff games!!!!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 28, 2014
    I'm just going to read the reviews and drool as I think about what would happen to me if I bought another camera body this year. Looks awesome, though.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Well if anybody ditches their 5d3 at a good price for one of these, let me know.... I'll enable your gearlust by taking it off your hands :D
    edited October 30, 2014
    My dealer just called and said he received some kit camera/lens in today and just the bodies will be in by Fri or Monday. Hope to have mine in by Wed....YEAH. They are a comin.
    edited October 30, 2014
    Woohoo Hack!
    divamum wrote: »
    Well if anybody ditches their 5d3 at a good price for one of these, let me know.... I'll enable your gearlust by taking it off your hands :D

So far my plan is to keep the 5D3 for portraits, events, landscapes, real estate, and generally to use with all my EF lenses - 17-40L, 24-70L (I), 70-200/2.8II, 50/1.4, 100/2. If I sold the 5D3 and only had the 7D2, I'd probably end up selling everything but the 70-200, and buying different lenses to replace them.

But we'll see what happens.
    -Jack

edited October 30, 2014
    Well, whaddya know. I just got the notification that mine just shipped. Thanks, B&H! :D
    edited October 30, 2014
    Happy for you all. I can't wait for all the comparisons to the almost identical 5D3 bodies, as well as the visual IQ of the shots from both.
    My Smugmug
    edited October 31, 2014
    My Smugmug
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Kai's review is out

About as useful /enlightening as being forced to watch daytime TV imo :)

Also noticed this in the Romy Ocon piece ...

<< In addition to the pre-production 7D Mark II, I also borrowed a 600 f/4 IS II from Canon Philippines. I'm hesitant to use my dated workhorse lenses (500 f4 IS and 400 2.8 IS) on the new camera, as the older gear might restrain the new body from performing to its potential.>>

A serious piece of kit being used with the body (altho' he was slummin' it with only a mk2 TC :) ) .. lets hope the body's performance isn't tooooo degraded for those of us still using mk1 big teles...

pp
    edited October 31, 2014
    I agree that was one of Kai's thinner pieces, but I love him so he gets a pass for this one. Besides, it wasn't a review, just a preview.
    -Jack

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    I agree that was one of Kai's thinner pieces, but I love him so he gets a pass for this one. Besides, it wasn't a review, just a preview.

My comments were based on the fact that I was watching a preview - as stated at the actual destination.
    A load of waffle ... with a few crumbs ... for anyone (like me) with a serious interest in finding out useful info.

pp
    edited October 31, 2014
    He's an entertainer, and a good one.

Anyway, here's some useful info:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54660361

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54659395
    -Jack

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    Mine came 30 min. ago. Easy setup. Just like my 5D iii. Faster than fast. Love it already. I will post later.
    wings.gifbarb
    edited October 31, 2014
    Dammit, my "buy local" scruples are not paying off today. Supposed to shoot soccer state finals on Sunday. :-/
    -Jack

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited October 31, 2014
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Mine came 30 min. ago. Easy setup. Just like my 5D iii. Faster than fast. Love it already. I will post later.
    wings.gifbarb

Congratulations, Dan! clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 1, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations, Dan! clap.gif

Thanks, Ziggy. My 7D is for sale in the flea market if you know anyone who might be interested.
    edited November 1, 2014
    Test Shot
    ISO 800 F/9 at 420mm huge crop:

7A9A0027%2027-XL.jpg

IS 400 180mm sootc

7A9A0177%2013-XL.jpg

Bobcat Encounter: ISO 1000 420mm

7A9A0256%20130-XL.jpg
    edited November 1, 2014
    Not too shabby!
    edited November 2, 2014
    dlplumer wrote: »
    ISO 800 F/9 at 420mm huge crop:

IS 400 180mm sootc

Very nice! You win for posting the first samples here! Hopefully my local shop gets theirs tomorrow, grrr...
    -Jack