First post - be gentle...

jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited January 3, 2006 in People
Okay, these are the first images I've ever posted for feedback, so be gentle.

My oldest daughter with "Buddy" the bear.

IMG_5807.jpg

The same daughter wondering why she is staring into the woods.

IMG_5399.jpg

My son getting ready to take me at basketball.

IMG_3615.jpg

My neighbor's daughter playing in the water.

IMG_4212.jpg

Thanks!
Canon 20D with Grip
Canon 580EX
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Canon 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    The second one is great, you just wonder what she's staring off at.
  • jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    MattGoins wrote:
    The second one is great, you just wonder what she's staring off at.
    Probably a cat since there are a bunch of strays around my parent's house.

rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 1, 2006
    like the photos--

if I may, my two cents worth on the first one-

crop to get the upper left sun out--it's distracting-

if you're using elements or ps, tweak with levels and/or curves to bring out your daughter's face with a little light and contrast--

I think the color balance is ok, but there are some guys (when I say that, I mean ladies too) who can see color casts where I don't (which hopefully I''ll get with time)-

then possibly some sharpening--

I personally would like to see it converted to black and white, but then I'm partial to b/w--

thanks for sharing-

george
    edited January 1, 2006
    ps-

see 'making your image 'pop'' under how-to>tutorials-
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    my 1 cent worth is this: Photo 1...yes the sunlight is distracting and for me needs abit bit more contrast and saturation.....Photo 2 I kie the looking off into "space" or woods.....it is a look of insightfulness nod.gif and 3 and 4 well get ready to have that boy beatdown real bad at B- ball (good shot)....also good one of the neightbors daughter...nice expression....would have liked to see the water spray that got her wet.....

Over all nice.thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 1, 2006
    Also remember if everyone goes easy....Whatt'll ya learn???? :D:D:Dmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    ps-

see 'making your image 'pop'' under how-to>tutorials-

Yep. Right here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 1, 2006
    hopefully I'll get this photo on here-

cropped--
    tweaked with levels and curves--
    sharpened--

again, please see the tutorial on 'pop' to get this down right--you learn it that way it will be much easier in the long run--
    edited January 1, 2006
    b/w conversion--

b/w lab conversion action (free from ps site)-

sepia toned--

background blurred--

tweaked with shadow/highlight--
    edited January 1, 2006
    Great job....thumb.gifclap.gif Both are great....clap.gifthumb.gif

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Pop!
    gefillmore wrote:
    cropped--
    sharpened--

again, please see the tutorial on 'pop' to get this down right--you learn it that way it will be much easier in the long run--

you nailed it! thumb.gif It's amazing to see what can be done in PP. Gives me hope for some of my images:D Ah, so much to learn... I'll definately be going over that tute.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited January 1, 2006
    this was a good photo that was quick and easy to work with--

one important thing to mention--

on this photo you underexposed some which left info in the pixels to be manipulated--do everything you can with your shots (unless it's on purpose for composition sake) to not overexpose because you can't do much with blown highlights--

also, if you're not doing it now and you have the camera and software to do it with, shoot in raw files and save them as such because that gives you a lot of room to maneuver for corrections--
    edited January 1, 2006
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Also remember if everyone goes easy....Whatt'll ya learn???? :D:D:Dmwink.gif

Not at all - that's why I'm here. I'm an extreme nOOb but I really love this stuff and want to get better. There's no better feeling than capturing a great shot of your kids, IMHO anyway.
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    edited January 1, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    hopefully I'll get this photo on here-

cropped--
    sharpened--

I agree with the crop, just didn't take the time to do it for some reason.

I guess I REALLY need to calibrate my LCD because that looks over saturated and a little too sharp. I plan to invest in calibration equipment soon though...
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    edited January 1, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    also, if you're not doing it now and you have the camera and software to do it with, shoot in raw files and save them as such because that gives you a lot of room to maneuver for corrections--

Yep, it's a Canon 300D and I usually shoot in RAW. My problem is that when I'm "playing around", or my wife is using the camera it goes into JPEG mode and I forget to change it back. I need to run through a check list before I start shooting...

:D
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    edited January 1, 2006
    well I dunno--

might be oversaturated and too sharp for real--

like eating, (I was going to say sex, but that's a joke) I tend to overdo--
    edited January 1, 2006
    jrollins wrote:
    Yep, it's a Canon 300D and I usually shoot in RAW. My problem is that when I'm "playing around", or my wife is using the camera it goes into JPEG mode and I forget to change it back. I need to run through a check list before I start shooting...

:D

jrollins,

Also make sure to check out our brand new Making Your Image "Pop", Part 2!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    What a cool thread.
    edited January 1, 2006
    re pop1 and pop2
    nice tuts!
    edited January 1, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    nice tuts!

Why, thank you! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Hi Mr. Jrollins and welcome to dgrin :):

I took the liberty of redoing the first pic as well, because I got the much-talked-about Dan Margulis Lab Color book for Christmas, and the first shot seemed ideal for some of the techniques. Sharpening-wise, what you posted has a lot of jpeg artifacts in it that would sharpen, so I did only a tad. Also, I didn't bother cropping, because I was mainly interested in what I could do with the color. So I'm just a beginner at it, but I did this in about 5 minutes:

50534867-M.jpg

Have to say that from my point of view the hype about the Margulis book is not hype 1drink.gif
    edited January 1, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Hi Mr. Jrollins and welcome to dgrin :):

I took the liberty of redoing the first pic as well, because I got the much-talked-about Dan Margulis Lab Color book for Christmas, and the first shot seemed ideal for some of the techniques. Sharpening-wise, what you posted has a lot of jpeg artifacts in it that would sharpen, so I did only a tad. Also, I didn't bother cropping, because I was mainly interested in what I could do with the color. So I'm just a beginner at it, but I did this in about 5 minutes:

50534867-Ti.jpg

Have to say that from my point of view the hype about the Margulis book is not hype 1drink.gif

zigzag,

Nice start. This whole color correcting thing is a never-ending learning curve. That's what I like about it!

The version you posted has too much magenta in relation to yellow in this image. Unless you want the skin to look sunburned, the yellow should always be more than magenta.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Ha - live and learn. I wanted to bring out her hair, so I tweaked the a curve more than the b.

Haven't gotten to the chapter on portraits yet rolleyes1.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Beautiful image #1
    jrollins wrote:
    Okay, these are the first images I've ever posted for feedback, so be gentle.

My oldest daughter with "Buddy" the bear.

IMG_5807.jpg

This first image is an absolutely stunning capture. I love this image. If I had taken this of my daughter, I'd probably consider it the best picture of her for the year. I took it into Photoshop and did a little retouch to really bring out the subject. This is what I got (workflow steps below):

50646070-L.jpg

And here are the workflow steps:
    • Switch to LAB mode
    • Create a curve adjustment layer on the L channel.
    • Pull the highlights side of the curve over 27%. The only highlights that are blowing here are the sky in the background. This gives the image a lot more dynamic range (spreads out the tones). If we want to restore the sky we can with a mask, but it will probably get cropped out anyway.
    • Create another curve adjustment layer and add a slight S curve to increase contrast.
    • In the A channel, push in both ends 15%.
    • In the B channel, create an S-curve and do a little color correction on the skin color (which is slightly too red) by letting the middle of the curve move a little bit away from the magenta.
    • Brighten the teddy bear so it stands out from the leaves. Create a burn/dodge layer (new layer, overlay mode, filled with neutral gray) and paint with a 15% opacity white brush on the bear to make it stand out from the leaves. I didn't even realize she was holding the bear for the first 10 minutes I looked at this image, but it's a great part of the image.
    • Crop tighter to remove the bright sky from the image.
    • I didn't even try to sharpen this image because all I have is such a small image to work with, but if you were working on the original, you'd sharpen it now.
    • Switch back to RGB.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 2, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    This first image is an absolutely stunning capture. I love this image.

Thank you. I'm quite fond of it myself.

jfriend wrote:
    And here are the workflow steps:
    • Switch to LAB mode
    • Create a curve adjustment layer on the L channel.
    • Pull the highlights side of the curve over 27%. The only highlights that are blowing here are the sky in the background. This gives the image a lot more dynamic range (spreads out the tones). If we want to restore the sky we can with a mask, but it will probably get cropped out anyway.
    • Create another curve adjustment layer and add a slight S curve to increase contrast.
    • In the A channel, push in both ends 15%.
    • In the B channel, create an S-curve and do a little color correction on the skin color (which is slightly too red) by letting the middle of the curve move a little bit away from the magenta.
    • Brighten the teddy bear so it stands out from the leaves. Create a burn/dodge layer (new layer, overlay mode, filled with neutral gray) and paint with a 15% opacity white brush on the bear to make it stand out from the leaves. I didn't even realize she was holding the bear for the first 10 minutes I looked at this image, but it's a great part of the image.
    • Crop tighter to remove the bright sky from the image.
    • I didn't even try to sharpen this image because all I have is such a small image to work with, but if you were working on the original, you'd sharpen it now.
    • Switch back to RGB.
    I can see I have a lot to learn in this respect...

Thanks all!
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Agreed with all above, this is an excellent pic of your daughter! Photog's used to get to play under red light, but now much can be done in photoshop. It's daunting when you start playing in PS--there are sooo many choices and tools. Heck, I'm a tech guy for a living and PS "scares" me a little bit. The best part about it is UNDO -- you can always get back to where you started with no harm done. So, play with it all you want, you can't break it!
    edited January 2, 2006
    comparison
    would like to see these closer together--
    jr
    edited January 2, 2006
    zz
    edited January 2, 2006
    jf