Options

Old Smugmug force retired on October 15th

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2015
    I always thought I was fairly intelligent until I started trying to convert both of our smugmug sites to the new version. I am so frustrated and we don't even have complicated set-ups. I think the new version is just ugly. The new version may have more features, but it surely isn't user friendly.

I've read through all the help topics (some multiple times) and still can't seem to get my site anywhere close to what I want. We will make the switch but are surely not happy about it.

Sherry
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    On the new smugmug, how do we keep our old JavaScript code that did URL redirection?
    For example, we had code that redirected .../engagements to .../Weddings-Engagements ?
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    The Photo BoothThe Photo Booth Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    leftquark wrote: »
    You just hit the nail on why we want to make SmugMug simpler. Everyone asks for more features, more options, let me choose how I want it ... but every time we go add those things it makes the site more complex for users. We're trying to make SmugMug easier and sometimes that means change or removing functionality that a good portion of customers aren't using.

Could a Hero please edit my "new" SmugMug site to remove all SmugMug branding?! I can't figure out where I'm supposed to inject CSS code to take care of that last little bit of "powered by SmugMug" that remains. I pay for the privilege to NOT having SmugMug branding and I think it's downright disgusting that the "new" SmugMug turned the branding back on. I've got it all turned off again, except for that little footer.

That said, please do NOT force publish my site in the new SmugMug.

Mark
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    Could a Hero please edit my "new" SmugMug site to remove all SmugMug branding?! I can't figure out where I'm supposed to inject CSS code to take care of that last little bit of "powered by SmugMug" that remains. I pay for the privilege to NOT having SmugMug branding and I think it's downright disgusting that the "new" SmugMug turned the branding back on. I've got it all turned off again, except for that little footer.
    The code you need is on the page http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Sitewide/Remove-SmugMug-Footer.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    jchin wrote: »
    On the new smugmug, how do we keep our old JavaScript code that did URL redirection?
    For example, we had code that redirected .../engagements to .../Weddings-Engagements ?

Can't be done. Probably possible if you host JavaScript on a separate site, but definitely not with smugmug.

Dave
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins

Mark

Did you see my reply from yesterday? http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=2009713&postcount=120
    .sm-page-powered-by a {
        display: none;
        }

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    slpollett wrote: »
    I always thought I was fairly intelligent until I started trying to convert both of our smugmug sites to the new version. I am so frustrated and we don't even have complicated set-ups. I think the new version is just ugly. The new version may have more features, but it surely isn't user friendly.

I've read through all the help topics (some multiple times) and still can't seem to get my site anywhere close to what I want. We will make the switch but are surely not happy about it.

Sherry

It will get easier, promise. A little piano practice and you'll be dragging and dropping content blocks and zipping out customization. If you will post what you want to accomplish, accomplished site-buildings (I'm not one of them but I can have opinions anyway :D) may be able to help.

Honest, it gets easier.
  • Options
    I'm working on (or rather TRYING to work on) our www.pollettsquaredphotography.smugmug.com site now. I want the new version to be set up similarly to the current one as far as organization goes.

Home page: Two "folders" or categories or whatever the new term is. One for Krista Shots and one for Sherry Shots.

If click on "Krista Shots", want to see a page that has thumbnails for her folders/categories (whatever) for:
    Journeys
    Quidditch
    People
    Artsy
    Animals
    Plants

If click on any of her folders/categories, then see all the galleries within that group.

Same with if click on Sherry Shots. My folder groups are:
    Family
    People & Places
    Old Pictures
    Nature

I sort of think I have picked a theme and color and font for the title, but can't seem to get the organization to work. I see Krista Shots and Sherry Shots, but can't get anything once we click on one or the other. If I go into "organize", I see the list of groups and galleries, but I cannot get them to appear on the page as thumbnails.

That's where I am. Once I get the organization down, we may add an "About us" page or a blog page, but neither are as important as getting the galleries to show up.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me how to do this. I am beyond frustrated at this point. Even my daughter who is more into 'new' stuff than me says she HATES the new version. I thought she would love it. ne_nau.gif

Sherry P.
  • Options
    Did you see my reply from yesterday? http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=2009713&postcount=120
    .sm-page-powered-by a {
        }

Yes, Mike, I saw it. But I can't figure out how to add CSS code to this new "easier to use" SmugMug. Which is why I asked a Hero to fix it for me.

I've been with SmugMug for a very long time and as a legacy customer I expect that I am entitled to the same level of features as when I signed up. The fact that photographers could remove ALL SmugMug branding was an advertised feature when I joined. My current SmugMug site doesn't have SmugMug branding so SmugMug's customer service team should be the ones responsible for removing it from my "new" SmugMug site.

That said, I do NOT give permission for my site to be published under the "new" SmugMug.

Mark
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    Yes, Mike, I saw it. But I can't figure out how to add CSS code to this new "easier to use" SmugMug. Which is why I asked a Hero to fix it for me.
    Mark

Hi Mark. wave.gif CSS code snippets that are offered here in the forums and on other people's help sites can be added to your site yourself. I will admit it isn't all that apparent where it is entered and saved within your site, but I offer you this as help.

1. At the top of your SM site click "Customize" and then select and click "Content and Design."

2. In the fly-out menu that opens at the right select "Entire Site" (in red).

3. The second option below that will be "+Theme." Click that. Your current active theme should be right below that with it's Theme name. Look for the wrench icon and click that (don't click the "x").

4. A dialog box opens called "Edit Theme." Click "Advanced" on the right. Move all the way down to the bottom of that Advanced menu box to the last section where it says CSS. Click "Edit."

5. Another dialog box will open that says "Custom CSS." Whichever code you want to add to your site can be copy/pasted there. When you have what you want in there click "Done" and the box will close. Then click "Done" also with the "Edit Theme" box.

6. Then click "Done" in the main menu at the top of your site. Select "Save Changes." Refresh your site and the code should be active.

i-8vDktSh-XL.gif

The top-most code in the screen grab above shows the deletion of the SM advertising and link in a site's footer. What follows that is additional customizations that aren't footer related.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    I can't figure out where I'm supposed to inject CSS code to take care of that last little bit of "powered by SmugMug" that remains.

I'm not a hero -- just another user -- but what you need to do is the following:
    Go to the entire site template page when you are customizing,
    Add a CSS block (one of the choices under "HTML & CSS") somewhere on that template page (anywhere is fine),
    Click the wrench on the new block to open it,
    Insert the suggested code there.
    Do the usual Done / Done to exit
    That will then apply it to all pages and hide the "powered by" message.

You can also apply custom CSS to your theme: when customizing, click the wrench next to the Active Theme, go to the advanced tab, click on the Edit button opposite "Custom CSS" down at the bottom of that tab, and insert the magic CSS there. That will then apply that CSS to any places where that theme is active.

I personally prefer to use the first approach, attaching CSS to the entire site template, except for modifications that are purely theme-specific (e.g., colors). I use more than one theme on my site.

Hope that fills the gap. And yes, I agree that SmugMug's interface sometimes has a clarity matched only by an Olympus menu structure.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Hi Mark. wave.gif CSS code snippets that are offered here in the forums and on other people's help sites can be added to your site yourself. I will admit it isn't all that apparent where it is entered and saved within your site, but I offer you this as help.

1. At the top of your SM site click "Customize" and then select and click "Content and Design."

2. In the fly-out menu that opens at the right select "Entire Site" (in red).

3. The second option below that will be "+Theme." Click that. Your current active theme should be right below that with it's Theme name. Look for the wrench icon and click that (don't click the "x").

4. A dialog box opens called "Edit Theme." Click "Advanced" on the right. Move all the way down to the bottom of that Advanced menu box to the last section where it says CSS. Click "Edit."

5. Another dialog box will open that says "Custom CSS." Whichever code you want to add to your site can be copy/pasted there. When you have what you want in there click "Done" and the box will close. Then click "Done" also with the "Edit Theme" box.

6. Then click "Done" in the main menu at the top of your site. Select "Save Changes." Refresh your site and the code should be active.

i-8vDktSh-XL.gif

The top-most code in the screen grab above shows the deletion of the SM advertising and link in a site's footer. What follows that is additional customizations that aren't footer related.

I tried to follow your instructions, but I do not see a Wrench icon on the right side after I choose Theme (which has a paint brush above it, not a + sign).

I do see a Wrench icon when I hover my mouse over a couple parts of my page, but clicking those wrenches opens a window that has two tabs, "Basic" and "Image" and "Basic and "Links". There is no "Advanced" menu.

I am not a programmer or coder, but with old SmugMug I could at least figure out how to change things on my site. New SmugMug is incredibly non-intuitive.

How can SmugMug call new SmugMug an improvement and easier to use? Several times Heroes have admitted that it's confusing and "not apparent" yet SmugMug seems determined to move forward with it anyway?

I do NOT give permission for my site to be published under "new" SmugMug.

EDIT: Found the hidden wrench. You have to hover your mouse over the exact right spot for the wrench to appear. Absolutely ridiculous! What purpose is there in hiding it?

EDIT #2: I successfully applied this code:

.sm-page-powered-by a {
    }

It only removes the SmugMug branding from my home page, not from my "Galleries" page of new SmugMug. I applied it to "entire site".

Again, I request that a SmugMug Hero please edit my new SmugMug site to remove ALL SmugMug branding. I am a legacy customer, that was the terms when I signed up for a Pro account.

And, again, I do NOT give SmugMug permission to publish my site under the "new" SmugMug.

Mark
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2015
    I tried to follow your instructions, but I do not see a Wrench icon on the right side after I choose Theme (which has a paint brush above it, not a + sign).

I suspect you haven't gotten to the right place yet. Click Customize, then click "Content and Design" (NOT one of the theme choices). Then click the button that says "Theme" (it has the paintbrush above it). Up will come a panel with the Active Theme: hover over it to bring up the wrench and click again (click number 4, but who's counting) Up come the basic and advanced tabs. Click to choose Advanced, then scroll down to "Custom CSS" and click edit. I'll not even attempt to defend a design that puts this sort of edit 6 clicks in.
  • Options
    I just published a quick video of where I keep the majority of my customizations. I count seven clicks to get there (yeah, kinda buried deep in), and a few more to get out. Anyway, this may help someone.

Click the pic below. The video should open in a new tab or browser. There is a go-to-full-screen thingy in the far right of the command bar with the arrows <--- --->. That will make it a lot bigger.

i-kQnVsN5-L.jpg
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    Hi Sherry, if you give our Heroes an email (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new) they'll be more than happy to help you with these. During normal business hours you can also chat with a Hero, if you'd prefer more real time discussion. To chat, make sure you're on the "New SmugMug Preview", and in the top right of the screen you'll see a "?" (help) icon. Click that, and "Chat with a Hero".
    jchin wrote: »
    As mentioned, JavaScript is no longer supported in the New SmugMug. The simple answer to why JavaScript was removed is for security. The world of security has changed and you don't have to read many headlines to know why we have to take this so seriously. New SmugMug has a much better security model and not allowing JS is part of this.
    Could a Hero please edit my "new" SmugMug site to remove all SmugMug branding?!

Hi Mark, our heroes are available to help with your New SmugMug site, however, as you know from being such a loyal and long customer, the best way to reach them is to email them using the form at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new. Under normal circumstances I would grab one of them for you but since tonight is Yom Kippur and I'm flying east for the passing of my grandfather, I probably shouldn't even be on the computer right now. I did want to chime in to let you know the best way to get help, though.

The Old SmugMug is retiring on October 15th, and just like anyone retiring, it will no longer work afterwards. Users still on Old SmugMug on October 15th will be automatically published to New SmugMug, though not everyone will be published on that day. I don't have any way of knowing on which day your site will be published, however, I would recommend that you take advantage of the heroes, dgrin, and our remaining webinars so you can be comfortable publishing before this date. Please let us know what specific questions you have so that we can answer them!
    I've been with SmugMug for a very long time and as a legacy customer I expect that I am entitled to the same level of features as when I signed up. The fact that photographers could remove ALL SmugMug branding was an advertised feature when I joined.
    I'm glad you were able to apply the CSS to your site. You may also want to try this code, in "Entire Site" CSS, to remove the remaining footer.
    /* Hide the "Photo Sharing by SmugMug" Footer Text */
    .sm-page-powered-by {
        overflow:hidden;
        height:0;
    }

That said, I do NOT give permission for my site to be published under the "new" SmugMug.
    As I mentioned above, aside from the tons of new features in New SmugMug, the ultimate decision to retire Old SmugMug was for security reasons. We cannot allow one person to sacrifice the security of all of our users and their photos. New SmugMug has a much better security model and everyone left in Old SmugMug will start to be automatically published on October 15th. We are willing to leave users towards the end of our roll-out window (between October 15 and October 31) for justified circumstances (for example: some of our heavy API users need a few extra days to re-write their apps).
    I am not a programmer or coder, but with old SmugMug I could at least figure out how to change things on my site. New SmugMug is incredibly non-intuitive.
    As others have mentioned, the New SmugMug becomes much more intuitive after you become familiar with it. We have some great tutorials, including a recording of a migration webinar that I taught for thousands of Old SmugMug users. Have you watched those?

Lastly, I'll just remind you that everyone will be published to New SmugMug starting on October 15 and the best way to get help from the heroes is to email the support desk.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    We cannot allow one person to sacrifice the security of all of our users and their photos.

Agreed 100%

Your patience and attitude is commendable Leftquark. Please take a well earned break once the dust has settled after the 15th!
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2015
    I need to get to Owner Share "Get A Link" on my iPhone under the Safari browser. The SmugMug mobile app doesn't allow access to that feature either.

I need the DESKTOP version of my site back for viewing on my iPhone!

Been playing with this. Try this in your CSS:

#ShareGetALink {
    display: block!important;
    }

It will add "Get a Link" to the share menu on mobile.

It works perfectly on Android. Guessing the copy buttons won't work on an iphone but you can still manually copy the links.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2015
    I've mentioned to a few of you that we're revamping the Share / Get-a-Link tool and making it mobile friendly. I've posted some screenshots in the "Product News" forum and would love to gather feedback before we push this live: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255286
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2015
    I've mentioned to a few of you that we're revamping the Share / Get-a-Link tool and making it mobile friendly. I've posted some screenshots in the "Product News" forum and would love to gather feedback before we push this live: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255286

Thank you. Comment left in linked topic.

Mark
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2015
    Thank you. Comment left in linked topic.

Mark

Did you see the CSS code I posted a few posts up in this thread? You can get "get a link" in the share menu on mobile with one line of code in a CSS content block:

#ShareGetALink {display: block!important;}

Dave
  • Options
    We just pushed a change to the way Gallery / Folder Titles are displayed: they will now display 2 full lines instead of 1. The CSS the heroes added may conflict with this change but CSS should no longer be needed (unless you'd like to add more lines). Feel free to follow along any discussion here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255300
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    We just pushed a change to the way Gallery / Folder Titles are displayed: they will now display 2 full lines instead of 1. The CSS the heroes added may conflict with this change but CSS should no longer be needed (unless you'd like to add more lines). Feel free to follow along any discussion here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255300

Good change, thank you!

Mark
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    We just pushed a change to the way Gallery / Folder Titles are displayed: they will now display 2 full lines instead of 1.

I like it; thanks.
  • Options
    We just pushed a change to the way Gallery / Folder Titles are displayed: they will now display 2 full lines instead of 1.

I just removed my CSS code that used to do this, and now see no change - which is a good thing! Less custom code is better.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2015
    I am so very sad about the change I loved my old smugmug. nothing works as well or easy for me. toeven see the file names, which my clients need, they need to put the curser pn the bottom arrow for it to be visable. my people will not know that, iwill be fielding that question shortly I am sure. :cry
  • Options
    AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2015
    CookieS wrote: »
    I am so very sad about the change I loved my old smugmug. nothing works as well or easy for me. toeven see the file names, which my clients need, they need to put the curser pn the bottom arrow for it to be visable. my people will not know that, iwill be fielding that question shortly I am sure. :cry

Can you be more specific (provide more details) about what you are seeing that you don't like? Perhaps include a screen-shot? I'm going through this process myself right now, and I'm pretty sure that what you don't like is easily fixed in the customizer. But I don't want to give you bum advice.

You can also try sending an Email to the heroes at help@smugmug.com. They have a template that makes an old-to-new conversion look a lot more closely like Old Smug than what the regular conversion does. You might want to ask them. If you're like me and had done very little customization of Old Smug, you might find this gets you much more closely to what you want.

FWIW, I and a lot of other people have been really unhappy by the number of default settings in the conversion from old to new that look absolutely nothing like Old Smug. I think those choices where made so people who are making the conversion can get some sense of what new features are available. Some of my pro friends loved the new features and were inspired to create luscious, beautiful sites. But for people like you and me, whose main concern is to not alienate all our users on October 15, it just means a lot of extra work. So: I get it. I'm already helping my staff make the migration; I'd be happy to help you as well.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2015
    Finding the "Upgrade to the New SmugMug" Webinar etc.
    Aaron, Do you have any idea why this particular video "Webinar: Upgrade to the New SmugMug" you linked a few weeks ago hasn't been added to the "SmugMug Webinar Archive" of New SmugMug Webinars here on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPoJs6FwS4HVUAoTcchIb5qJIV5Bf8cV6 Just wondering if one of the others is sort of duplicate (although it doesn't appear so) and/or whether there's something more recent that people should watch instead? (this one is from late Aug. 2015). I already did watch it, and will be referring to it again, but if the breadth of info in it isn't duplicated in another one, it sure seems it should be easier for people to find rather than digging through forums. It doesn't come up easily in searches. I forgot to bookmark it & had to dig around here to find it. The above list of New SmugMug webinars should also be placed in a bunch of stickies all around here on several of the forums too., instead of just on YouTube!

Incidentally, a problem I kept having when trying to watch any of the Smug Webinars was that if I hit "pause", the sound went away & the only way I could get sound back was to close & re-open the browser or restart the laptop. Idk if that was a hardware /software issue, or if it's something about those particular videos. PostScript: I am so horribly far behind with the switch & in panic mode. Been traveling & even away on the "extra" weekends. I did get an email from a hero but am trying to figure out what to tell them in response to how they can help. These vids may help sort it out a bit (when I can actually hear the sound!!, but Thurs. is simply coming way too fast & there's so much I don't yet comprehend. Also when you mentioned something like "open a support ticket, or maybe it was 'support thread?"...what does that mean exactly? Is that something that should happen simultaneously to working w/ the person who emailed?
    Also, if you're unable to attend one of the Live Webinars, we have a recording of the last one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkQ6Doi3hk. Feel free to watch it at your convenience!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Well, I've been working on figuring out/tweaking/re-designing and just trying to get done with converting my site to the new smug. I will say I am totally sick of looking at it now, lol. I have watched tutorials & some of the webinar; I have read so many threads to see what caveats others found; I have experimented; and I swear I have looked at every...single...font choice.... Who knew there were so darned many of them?

I will say that it has gotten easier the more I've used it. Some new things I really like a lot. Some I don't care for. BUT...overall I think my new site does look better than my old version. I haven't published yet (nothing like waiting until the very last minute, huh?) because there are still a few minor things I haven't figured out how to fix. Several of them are on my 'about me' page. I am using a content block from my profile & added a facebook button. The button shows up right next to the header/title for that block and it looks funny. I would like the FB button to be at the right margin of that block instead of right on my title. How do I do that?

Right now it looks something like:

(profile pic) PSPhotos fb
    text......blah blah..........

and I'd like for it to look something like this:

(profile pic) PSPhotos [lots of space ] fb
    text........blah blah............

if this makes any sense. For some reason, the spaces I typed in didn't show up when I posted this.

I don't really like the way the navigation menu looks but haven't figured out how to get it the way I want it. I also seem to have the 'about me' thumbnail on my home page & I don't want it there. I tried to move it to my "smugmug files" section, but then it showed up on my navigation menu as "About Me unlisted" and I didn't want that.

See...I told you it was minor. I'm sure it's easy enough for someone to fix, but maybe I'm just cross-eyed from looking at it too much.

Can anyone tell me how to fix these little things? And oh, lordy let it be simple....I can't take anything too complicated now!

Thanks,
    Sherry P.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2015
    Is all this in an html widget written with html?

If so, inside that box/widget you could possibly code in the html to float the fb button to the right.
    We could help if you posted the html here. Paste it between [code][/code] tags
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    ... I am using a content block from my profile & added a facebook button. The button shows up right next to the header/title for that block and it looks funny. I would like the FB button to be at the right margin of that block instead of right on my title. How do I do that?

Right now it looks something like:

and I'd like for it to look something like this:

(profile pic) PSPhotos [lots of space ] fb
    text........blah blah............

If you added that FB icon by using a separate Social / Social Icons content block, then you could probably get whatever spacing you want by diddling with the margins and container width percentages for that block and the one next to it. (Hit the triangle icon in the content block when you are in Customize / Content and Design.)