Options

Old Smugmug force retired on October 15th

12346»

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    I didn't add the Facebook icon in a separate content block. I have a content block on my 'about me' page that I added via the customization tool--content--social--profile. One of the options for this block is to add social media icons. There is not an option for placement of those icons. It popped in right next to my title and I can't seem to get it to move.

As you can see below, the FB icon is very small & right next to the title. I'd like it to be more at the right margin of the content block. I will add other social media icons once I get this where I want it.

i-5k4FwdD-M.jpg

I also want a few other tweaks...such as...I don't want my 'about me' page to show as a thumbnail on my home page. I just want a tab on the navigation menu. Can't seem to get it there without it showing as "About Me (unlisted)". I don't want the 'unlisted' to be there.

I think I have a couple of other small things to fix that I'd like to fix before the new version is published. I need a little bit of help though to get done.

Thanks,
    Sherry P.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    slpollett wrote: »
    I also want a few other tweaks...such as...I don't want my 'about me' page to show as a thumbnail on my home page. I just want a tab on the navigation menu. Can't seem to get it there without it showing as "About Me (unlisted)". I don't want the 'unlisted' to be there....
    Unlisted and Private only show to you when logged in. Visitors will never see these.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    As you can see below, the FB icon is very small & right next to the title. I'd like it to be more at the right margin of the content block. I will add other social media icons once I get this where I want it.

The profile block doesn't have a lot of controls so you'll need some CSS. Maybe this will do the job, but if not it's going take more CSS fiddling than you may want to do (and I want to work out!). Try inserting this in a CSS block on your About page.
    /* Moves the social icon section within a profile block to the
    right side of the profile, provides a mechanism for moving the social
    icons section up and down, and provides a means to vary the width
    of the icon section to move them left and right as well as stacking
    multiple icons vertically (wrapping) if desired.*/

.sm-page-widget-profile-content .sm-page-widget-profile-social {
        float: right;
        margin-top:24px;
        width:50px;
    }

The first line identifies the social icons section within a profile content block. The float says to move the social icon section to the right side of the profile block, following on the general idea Allen mentioned a few posts back. The margin-top provides a tool for you to move the social icon section up or down within the profile block. Positive numbers move it down; negative numbers up; adjust to taste. If you end up with a bunch of social icons, this will move the whole block of them right, strung out in a row. That last width command is optional, but it adjust the width of the social icons section. Make it small and multiple social icons will wrap, aligning them vertically. Also since the icons themselves land at the left side of social icons section, this width command can also be used to move the block of them right and left to some degree. As with the margin-top line, adjust the entered number to taste. Or maybe try removing that line and see if you like that better.

BTW, love the bluebonnets.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    A follow-on note to my post immediately above. I was doing a bit more examination of the profile block on my site's unlisted test page, which is where I worked out that little snippet of code. SmugMug's profile block adapts to the size of the browser window and can even look a little different on different browsers. I tried Firefox and Chrome. So if you try this, do look at different browsers and play with window size to see if you can live with its behavior under a range of conditions. CSS tweaks can have side effects, so sometimes I've put something like this in and then pulled it back out a little later, choosing to live with an imperfect default rather than have a situation that's better sometimes and much worse others.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Thanks Jtring and Allen for trying to help. I ended up doing a live chat with Hero Andy (Thanks!!) & he helped me get the last little things fixed. Ok....he fixed them himself for the most part. :D

I ended up taking the Facebook icon completely out of the profile content block and adding a separate content block just for social media. I was then able to place it where I wanted it.

So, now with all my little tweaks out of the way..... I have published my new smug!

I cannot tell you what a relief it is to be 'done', as if one is ever really done. I will probably go and set some featured images for each gallery, but that will be later! I am tired of looking at it right now. mwink.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited October 16, 2015
    I cannot tell you what a relief it is to be 'done', as if one is ever really done. I will probably go and set some featured images for each gallery, but that will be later! I am tired of looking at it right now.
    Congrats on publishing your new SmugMug sites - they both look good.

One comment though... I was surprised that you haven't removed the SmugMug header. There is no reason to give your viewers the opportunity to link away from your site. To remove the header:
    • Customize...
    • Content and design...
    • Click Settings
    • Set SmugMug Header to OFF

--- Denise
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2015
    So ........................ it's the 16th. Has the deadline been extended?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2015
    Denise, first...thanks for taking a look at the new sites! Second...thanks for the reminder about the smugmug header. I was so concerned with everything else that removing that didn't even enter my mind. It is done now. :D

Thanks again.

Sherry
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 16, 2015
    Aaron, Do you have any idea why this particular video "Webinar: Upgrade to the New SmugMug" you linked a few weeks ago hasn't been added to the "SmugMug Webinar Archive" of New SmugMug Webinars here on YouTube?
    The webinar video was added to the Help Center but we didn't want to confuse the majority of our customers who are already on New SmugMug, so we left it off our public YouTube channel.
    LPC wrote: »
    So ........................ it's the 16th. Has the deadline been extended?
    The deadline still remains the 15th, however, as most companies are doing these days with regards to pushing out upgraded features, we are slowly rolling it out to ensure there are no issues and that the Support Heroes can handle any support requests because of it. We began publishing users to the New SmugMug on the 15th and we'll continue to do so over the next few days / week.
    I didn't add the Facebook icon in a separate content block. I have a Profile Content Block on my 'about me' page. One of the options for this block is to add social media icons. There is not an option for placement of those icons. It popped in right next to my title and I can't seem to get it to move.
    We have some design changes that are going through QA that will update the look and feel of the Profile Content Block with some improvements, one of which is to move the social icons to the bottom right. I think you'll end up liking it more, however, it sounds like you found a work-around anyways. Congrats on publishing!!!!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    The webinar video was added to the Help Center but we didn't want to confuse the majority of our customers who are already on New SmugMug, so we left it off our public YouTube channel.

The deadline still remains the 15th, however, as most companies are doing these days with regards to pushing out upgraded features, we are slowly rolling it out to ensure there are no issues and that the Support Heroes can handle any support requests because of it. We began publishing users to the New SmugMug on the 15th and we'll continue to do so over the next few days / week.

We have some design changes that are going through QA that will update the look and feel of the Profile Content Block with some improvements, one of which is to move the social icons to the bottom right. I think you'll end up liking it more, however, it sounds like you found a work-around anyways. Congrats on publishing!!!!

Any news when the Blue Box at the top goes away?? I have tried everything know to man to stop it.. I know where organize and buy and all my account settings are.. I have long since converted and don't need it.. I have even contacted SM to stop it but it keeps showing up.. Can you give us an idea as when it will go away?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2015
    Any news when the Blue Box at the top goes away?? I have tried everything know to man to stop it.. I know where organize and buy and all my account settings are.. I have long since converted and don't need it.. I have even contacted SM to stop it but it keeps showing up.. Can you give us an idea as when it will go away?

The blue teaching guides are 'completed' when you go through each and every one of them. Clicking the "X" to close them before completing them leaves them active and they'll return several days later so that you can learn about the site and then continue on your way. All you'd have to do is click "next" through all of them and they'd be gone for good.

With that said, I've gone in and marked them all as complete for you so you should no longer see them.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2015
    The blue teaching guides are 'completed' when you go through each and every one of them. Clicking the "X" to close them before completing them leaves them active and they'll return several days later so that you can learn about the site and then continue on your way. All you'd have to do is click "next" through all of them and they'd be gone for good.

FYI, they all came back after I had my site "reset."
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2015
    Alameth wrote: »
    FYI, they all came back after I had my site "reset."

Mine did as well, then again I told them that already..
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2015
    Mine did as well, then again I told them that already..

Alameth meant when he had his site re-migrated to the new SmugMug, which sounds like is different from your issue David. Re-migrating also resets the blue guides. In your case, you should be all set. All of the guides are marked as complete. We may add new guides in the future; make sure you click through them and don't click the "x" and they'll be marked as complete. We'll work on making that clearer in the future.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2015
    Alameth meant when he had his site re-migrated to the new SmugMug....

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I had done my original migration from Old to New back in July 2013, and fiddled with New while continuing to run my site in Old. When the deadline drew close, I found it was much easier (at leftquark's suggestion) to discard my New site, re-migrate, and then customize.
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    My site was just forced over but my subcategories (galleries) are not appearing. This is not good. Is it a matter of backend processing taking a long time or what?

Thanks,
    PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    My site was just forced over but my subcategories (galleries) are not appearing. This is not good. Is it a matter of backend processing taking a long time or what?

Thanks,
    PJ.

Looks like you just need a galleries content block on all folders. Hit organize to make sure all your folders and galleries still exist. I think you just have a minor navigation issue, not missing content.

Dave
  • Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2015

Thanks,
    PJ.

Hi PJ,

I had a look at your site and I am seeing that you had the "Folders" section of your customizer set to only show sub-folders inside of them. Not to worry, I've just gone in and added a "Galleries" content block to the "All folders" section of your site. With that, it will show both sub-folders and galleries within any given folder on your site. Have a look:

http://www.garneredimages.com/Fauna

Let us know if you need anything else form us going forward and we'll be happy to help.

-Oliver
    SM Support.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    I love you! :)

I did muck around a bit a while ago but apparently I didn't see or perhaps didn't understand that little tidbit.

Thank you SO much!

PJ.

owilliams wrote: »
    Hi PJ,

I had a look at your site and I am seeing that you had the "Folders" section of your customizer set to only show sub-folders inside of them. Not to worry, I've just gone in and added a "Galleries" content block to the "All folders" section of your site. With that, it will show both sub-folders and galleries within any given folder on your site. Have a look:

http://www.garneredimages.com/Fauna

Let us know if you need anything else form us going forward and we'll be happy to help.

-Oliver
    SM Support.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    I love you! :)

I did muck around a bit a while ago but apparently I didn't see or perhaps didn't understand that little tidbit.

Thank you SO much!

PJ.

Happy to help!
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Forced to new
    I too have been attempting to get my site onto the "new" system. Despite SM claims that we had a "sandbox" in order to play with the new site ... this was not true. I changed many pages on the new only to find out it corrupted my live site. They could not figure out how to set up a true sandbox so not only did I waste time making changes ... then I had to make more changes to put it back so that my legacy site was not messed up. Over and over I asked for a sandbox and they were unable to provide one. I was keen to get my site on the new, but I was not keen on corrupting my live site.

Then I got the 3 weeks notice that they were forcing the new site on us. So they never did provide a way to safely convert. It doesn't matter if it is 2 years or 5 years, if you don't provide a safe way to upgrade, without corrupting your live site, then it doesn't help. Now I am spending days and days to try to get what I had.

If they were going to force people onto a new platform, they should have set it up so that we had the exact same site that we had worked for months to customize. Then let us change it when and if we wanted a different look. They have sucked days of my personal life so far trying to fix their mess. And we pay them for this? They didn't even offer any compensation for all the configuration and programming they were forcing on us. They are supposed to be saving us time and money, not forcing us to spend time coding so that they don't have to upgrade us properly.

Now all of my "map this" pages are gone. Instead of a simple check mark on the gallery, I now have to customize every single page one by one where I want the mapping feature to show. And instead of being on an entirely new page, it must take up real estate on each page. Not sure who thought this was an improvement. More wasted months of work for me, and a great mapping feature is "improved" to be a lousy one. It was perfect the way it was. Why were they incapable of keeping this feature?

They have no idea how to plan a proper system upgrade. Had they offered a proper sandbox I could have been working on all the coding over the past 2 years. I have been asking them for this the entire time.

All of my "thumbnails" are now large even at the smallest setting. This means that the password protected galleries are now showing photos that were supposed to be too small to be usable. So what used to be thumbnails are now large enough to show people's faces, etc, so I have spent days trying to remove the feature photos from all of my password protected folders and galleries. More unnecessary work for me due to poor planning. Why don't they allow at least the same size we HAD? I don't care if you want to show larger ones but why remove what we had as even being an option? This is an obvious security issue they should have anticipated. Obviously if you had only one size, you would upgrade to allow both larger and smaller. Certainly you would not prevent us from keeping what we had. This one thing alone has ensured we could not keep the look and feel of what we worked hard to create.

Lots of little things have changed that I am having to spend a lot of time fixing. And with the number of galleries I have, this is a colossal waste of my personal time. Yes some things are better, but many things are very much worse. However, now I cannot even reference my old site to get things to look the same. Since they forced this change on us, they should have allowed us to still see the legacy site ...as a reference ... to help with all of the changes we have to make.

Steve
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Jetranger wrote: »
    Since they forced this change on us, they should have allowed us to still see the legacy site ...as a reference ... to help with all of the changes we have to make.

They did.

For two years.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    I too have been attempting to get my site onto the "new" system. Despite SM claims that we had a "sandbox" in order to play with the new site ... this was not true. I changed many pages on the new only to find out it corrupted my live site.
    Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on what you mean by changing many of your pages? Do you mean galleries? For the most part using the New SmugMug sandbox ("New SmugMug Preview") did not impact your Old SmugMug. The only exception to this is that changing gallery names, captions or the gallery style were shared between the two. This was done because many of our customers wanted the same changes that they made to their photos titles, captions, and gallery names to update on both systems. Otherwise your Sandbox should not have impacted your Old SmugMug page, which was live.
    All of my "thumbnails" are now large even at the smallest setting.
    You can change that by going to Customize -> Content and Design -> All Folders and changing the size, though I see you've done that already. The smallest size is comparable to the old legacy thumbnails.
    This means that the password protected galleries are now showing photos that were supposed to be too small to be usable. So what used to be thumbnails are now large enough to show people's faces, etc, so I have spent days trying to remove the feature photos from all of my password protected folders and galleries.
    Visitors do not see the Feature Photo unless they have entered the password. You shouldn't need to remove the Feature Photos.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    LPC wrote: »
    They did.

For two years.

Laughing.gif:) The most hilarious and the most precise answer :D .. so true.. they did.