Options

Mono a mono

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited November 12, 2015 in Landscapes
Tried my luck at Mono lake. Was chasing fall colors, but was too early for some spots and too late for others. This spot however is wonderful bonus!

All criticism and kind comments are truly cherished!

1)
1W7A9806-Edit-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A9818-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A9983_new-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A9971-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A9993-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A9920-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A0258-Edit-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A0263-Edit-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A9935-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A9936-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A0286-X3.jpg

14)
1W7A0268-X3.jpg

15)
1W7A0299-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited October 15, 2015
    Well, um… OK. WOW! Like 'em all, but #11 takes the prize. I've always wanted to visit the place. It remains on my bucket list.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Taz, just fantastic colors and composition on these. I have to vote for #15 as my night shot of choice. I favor the hue of the sky in this one and enjoy the hint of illumination of the foreground "earthly" formations. Lots of great magic here. Hats off to you my friend!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Wonderful stuff, Taz. clap.gif Some of the most impressive production of the Mono lake scene I've ever seen. Your inclusion of strong foreground elements continues to be a hallmark signature for you.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    All criticism and kind comments are truly cherished!
    Comments? Day-um, this is an impressive collection of photos, Taz! I think the first two may be my favorites, especially #1, but I am a sucker for a good night shot, and you have some terrific ones as well. I do know I'm going to have to add Mono Lake to my next big road trip...
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,041 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Once again, you amaze. bowdown.gifbow if I had to pick - #1, 4, 13 and 14. But then each time I go back I find more favorites. I agree with Tom - your use of foreground is wonderful.

One question - did you have to hike very far to get the day shots? I've taken shots of Mono from afar, but wasn't sure how difficult it was to get these kind of shots from closer in.

And, did you try Lundy Lake area and the beaver dams - that area can be spectacular in fall.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    boco wrote: »
    Prachtige reeks.
    grt,boco.

Thanks kindly Boco!!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Well, um… OK. WOW! Like 'em all, but #11 takes the prize. I've always wanted to visit the place. It remains on my bucket list.

Thanks David!wings.gif
    This is the time to be in the area......fall colors, nice light.....but in few weeks snow will kick in, or so we hope.....last year was one of the worst due to drought.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Taz, just fantastic colors and composition on these. I have to vote for #15 as my night shot of choice. I favor the hue of the sky in this one and enjoy the hint of illumination of the foreground "earthly" formations. Lots of great magic here. Hats off to you my friend!

Thanks Wayne! You the man!
    The place lends itself naturally to night shooting! Would be great trip in summer when you can see the core of the milky way!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Wonderful stuff, Taz. clap.gif Some of the most impressive production of the Mono lake scene I've ever seen. Your inclusion of strong foreground elements continues to be a hallmark signature for you.

Take care buddy,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Your support means the world!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    Comments? Day-um, this is an impressive collection of photos, Taz! I think the first two may be my favorites, especially #1, but I am a sucker for a good night shot, and you have some terrific ones as well. I do know I'm going to have to add Mono Lake to my next big road trip...

Thank you Moose!! You will not be disappointed. Weekdays are best but if you go on a weekend then pick that is not extra popular one or you will run over by people and forced to change comp. South Tufa road is the place to be and veer in either direction when there. Or just ping me! ;o)
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Once again, you amaze. bowdown.gifbow if I had to pick - #1, 4, 13 and 14. But then each time I go back I find more favorites. I agree with Tom - your use of foreground is wonderful.

One question - did you have to hike very far to get the day shots? I've taken shots of Mono from afar, but wasn't sure how difficult it was to get these kind of shots from closer in.

And, did you try Lundy Lake area and the beaver dams - that area can be spectacular in fall.

Thank you Jo!! Humbled and overjoyed! Not much walking. South Tufa road is the place. There is an easy beaten path. However, for my shots, I tried to get close to Tufas and that is not so simple because it has tides and without warning you can literally sink to close to your waist. I had to sink my way in and out few times and sacrificed one pair of shoes to do it. Having said that, if you are little bit careful and probe where you are stepping first, you can find spots that are just solid enough to get you close. Cheers!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Taz,

You definitely put fort major effort in your photography pursuits, and are reaping the much deserved accolades.

Sam
  • Options
    jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    a wonderful series, love the sky and colors you had that evening ( ? ) what a location !! looks like it may be a challenge to get around out there dry anyways,, thanks for sharing !! nice work thumb.gif
    "I'm growing older,, but not up"
    Jimmy Buffet
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Great set. Typical of what I have come to expect from your Post. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Taz,

You definitely put fort major effort in your photography pursuits, and are reaping the much deserved accolades.

Sam

Sam, truly appreciate kind comment! Its my wish we go shooting! Cheers!
    a wonderful series, love the sky and colors you had that evening ( ? ) what a location !! looks like it may be a challenge to get around out there dry anyways,, thanks for sharing !! nice work thumb.gif

Thanks much! This is sum total of 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets and on 2 different weekends. It is challenging if you want to creep up on water as you sink.
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set. Typical of what I have come to expect from your Post. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks kindly Phil! Can't say that enough!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2015
    Awesome, awesome series, my man. You gotta be very pleased with these.

4 and 15 are my favs. I'd clone out the planes on a couple of them, especially that little short trail in 12. I like the silhouetted tufas in 12 and 15 better than the light painted ones.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, awesome series, my man. You gotta be very pleased with these.

4 and 15 are my favs. I'd clone out the planes on a couple of them, especially that little short trail in 12. I like the silhouetted tufas in 12 and 15 better than the light painted ones.

Thanks K-dog! Appreciate it more than I can express! I saw both planes and shooting stars so didn't know. The side way ones should definitely be out, but didn't see them. Thanks for your sharp eyes!! Let's go shooting when you have a moment and I don't have a date!:D
  • Options
    shipshootershipshooter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2015
    wish my skills were all that>.......................NICE
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2015
    wish my skills were all that>.......................NICE

Thanks Shipshooter! We are all on same path, key is to hang in there. Cheers!
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2015
    Beautiful.

I went up there for the eclipse, and ended up smack dab in the middle of the pineapple express

Oh well, it was a nice evening, otherwise- no actual rain, just the cloud cover, but it was nice and warm.

I really like how you timed the images to get just the beginning of creamy water without blurring the clouds too much.

The light painting is a little too harsh for me, and some of the star field colors seem a little color biased to me, but on the whole those are great star shots.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    Beautiful.

I went up there for the eclipse, and ended up smack dab in the middle of the pineapple express

Oh well, it was a nice evening, otherwise- no actual rain, just the cloud cover, but it was nice and warm.

I really like how you timed the images to get just the beginning of creamy water without blurring the clouds too much.

The light painting is a little too harsh for me, and some of the star field colors seem a little color biased to me, but on the whole those are great star shots.

Thanks JC! Appreciate your feedback very much!
    I took many exposures for night shots with varying amount of light painting. I presented with what I thought in my mind the right amount, but think I did go over. I would be more cautious next time.
    The colors come out naturally and even though I cooled down over 1K in temp and desaturated a ton, in sky, some still show up. I could do more and I could have shot at Kelvin instead of AWB but part of me liked some of the colors as unnatural as they may be in night sky. If I shot at Kelvin it becomes tad monotonous and loses its impact (assuming there is one).
    Look forward to your shots whenever you post them!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks JC! Appreciate your feedback very much!

The colors come out naturally and even though I cooled down over 1K in temp and desaturated a ton, in sky, some still show up. I could do more and I could have shot at Kelvin instead of AWB but part of me liked some of the colors as unnatural as they may be in night sky. If I shot at Kelvin it becomes tad monotonous and loses its impact (assuming there is one).
    Look forward to your shots whenever you post them!
    Cheers!

For star field shots, I usually set the white balance to daylight and forget about it after that. The star colors are really relative to what we say as white daylight from sol, so by setting the white balance to daylight, gives you the 'normal' range of blue to red stars.

I let the skylight from urban areas do whatever it wants to do relative to daylight.

If you are light painting with a non-white light, then you might want to selectively change the white balance for the foreground, but generally I'd advise not trying to shift the white balance on the sky in concert with the foreground when you have artificial illumination.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    For star field shots, I usually set the white balance to daylight and forget about it after that. The star colors are really relative to what we say as white daylight from sol, so by setting the white balance to daylight, gives you the 'normal' range of blue to red stars.

I let the skylight from urban areas do whatever it wants to do relative to daylight.

If you are light painting with a non-white light, then you might want to selectively change the white balance for the foreground, but generally I'd advise not trying to shift the white balance on the sky in concert with the foreground when you have artificial illumination.

Thanks JC! Valuable information that I shall try to digest and experiment with!bowdown.gif I do have a warming filter and occasionally I use it to get warmer foreground. It it adds to it here and there, but not always. I will try shooting with daylight-setting and see what happens! Cheers m8!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2015
    Nothing to say but all kick butt.
  • Options
    borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2015
    Fantastic! I've got to look that place up! You've got a great eye and that is wonderful foreground for the Milky Way. Always nice to see someone enjoying night photography!

We were out the other night, more clouds than we'd expected so we played around. Set the cameras to Kelvin instead of AWB and it looks like there were volcanos erupting in FL. Totally changed the color scheme.
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Nothing to say but all kick butt.

Thank you much! wings.gif
    borderbrae wrote: »
    Fantastic! I've got to look that place up! You've got a great eye and that is wonderful foreground for the Milky Way. Always nice to see someone enjoying night photography!

We were out the other night, more clouds than we'd expected so we played around. Set the cameras to Kelvin instead of AWB and it looks like there were volcanos erupting in FL. Totally changed the color scheme.

Thanks m8! Yes, night photography seems to be addictive! Now on harsh cloudless day, all is not lost, because there is a sky full of stars that will be waiting for us!!thumb.gif

I too have to experiment more with Kelvin. As of now I think 3650 is the way to go, but have to try warmer settings because i am guessing that is the way to get volcanoes! Cheers friend!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,884 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    :jawdrop I REFUSE to comment... :jawdrop What planet is this??
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    :jawdrop I REFUSE to comment... :jawdrop What planet is this??

Thanks Cristobal! I had rough day but it is all better now! bowdown.gif
    You ought to make it out to Eastern Sierras! Full of goodies. Time to be there is fall or spring! Cheers!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    Those are way nice....well done. And, I like the timing...water looks really cool. Thanks for posting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed