Options

Review - Adobe Lightroom beta

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    kapalua wrote:
    Thanks Andy. Looks like Lightroom's sharpening tool is just a simple slider with very few controls. Is this a viable alternative to going into PS and using USM?

I don't think so. It's global - and so for the same reasons I don't sharpen from my RAW conversions in ACR, I wouldn't sharpen in Lightroom, either.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Anyone played with split toning? I think I like it...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    I read that iView Multimedia Pro doesn't cope well with over 10,000 images in a catalogue. Also, is it possible to define sub-catalogues for seperatre shoots?

I've been using Lightroom and I just love it! I've done sone classy prints and 'referenced' all my photos in from iView Media Pro. The time consuimg bit is generating the thumbnails. On my Mac Mini, the CPU is 100% and the fan is running at full belt (never heard that before) while generating those thumbnails. After this, it is quite speedy for use. Unless I experience any major problems, I might just use a mixture of both and move to Lightroom as it stabilizes.

Thanks for all your help

Seb

Hi Seb, to also answer your email question - I do not think that Lightroom can replace Photoshop in our toolkit. Augment, yes, but not replace. You'll always need Photoshop or similar app to do fine editing and many many other things that LR can't do.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    As far as image catalouging goes how does this program compare to Elements 4? The thing I use the most is being able to tag all of my photos, and easily find them later. Also Elements use of Version stacks really appeals to me. Does LR have something similar?

I'd love to give this a try, but I'm Windows only, so I'll have to rely on all of you MAC lovers out there to help me out! rolleyes1.gif Thanks in advance!

L8er
    Rhuarc
  • Options
    BobbyWBobbyW Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2006
    Lightroom
    I was trying out Lightroom, rated a bunch of photos. But they show as unrated in Bridge. How should I mark the photos I want to work with in Lightroom so I'll see them when I get back to Bridge?
    I would think things like Collections and Ratings should be universal across the Adobe applications.
  • Options
    sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    BobbyW wrote:
    I was trying out Lightroom, rated a bunch of photos. But they show as unrated in Bridge. How should I mark the photos I want to work with in Lightroom so I'll see them when I get back to Bridge?
    I would think things like Collections and Ratings should be universal across the Adobe applications.

Lightroom does not have any proper ITPC support (one of the current weaknessess) which means annotations you enter may or may not appear outside of Lightroom YMMV!

I have found that the copyright notice and the description are exported correctly but not the keywords. For the time, go back to Bridge or iView Media Pro!

I have also ordered The DAM Book. 8th February deliverey from Amazon UK :-)

Seb
  • Options
    BobbyWBobbyW Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2006
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not too interested in Lightroom if I can't mark my selections and then see them on the Bridge side.
    Is this a beta shortcoming or is it likely to be this way for the long haul? Even if I could mark a group of photos with a keyword it would make it tons more useful, but I don't see ANYTHING that carries over back to Bridge that I could use to make a collection carry over.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    BobbyW wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not too interested in Lightroom if I can't mark my selections and then see them on the Bridge side.
    Is this a beta shortcoming or is it likely to be this way for the long haul? Even if I could mark a group of photos with a keyword it would make it tons more useful, but I don't see ANYTHING that carries over back to Bridge that I could use to make a collection carry over.

Geroge has said that they will have "great XMP support with Bridge" in the future but not Beta 2. I guess Beta 2 will be crop, rotate, bug squashing and possibly a bit of a speed up. You'll have to wait until a few Betas to get the full XML support.

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Anyone know of an emulator for Windows that can run a copy of OS X TIger? Lol, I've found a few that will run older versions, but nothing that will run the latest. I really want to try this out, as I think it will be just what I need, since I am currently right in that stage between Elements 4 and CS2.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    From what I have seen of Elements 4, you should be lucky you have that! Elements 4 include a lot functionality of Lightroom and more (keywords, tagging, stacks (wonderful), backing up, Camera Raw support).

There was an emulator (PearPC?) but it ran 1000th the speed of a Mac on a 3.06GHz Pentium 4. Fingers crossed for Elements 4 soon. I might be able to leave iView Media Pro :). Any other experiences with Elements 4?

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    I really like Elements 4. THe only thing I have noticed that I'm not sure I like is the way that it makes use of tags/keywords. Many of the other photo management suites use IPTC keywords directly to sort pictures. Elements uses their own tag setup that isn't written to the pictures automatically. Al of the tag info is maintained in teh Elements catalog. You can at any point tell it to write tag info to the files, but I'm not sure how this will work yet. Haven't fooled around with it much. THe main reason this would be an issue is if I ever decided to go to a non Adobe program where the tag info would not carry over.

The main reason I have been looking away from Elements is because no one else uses it! Everyone here seems to use iView or a few others (can't think of them right now) but I have tried them out and I just don't like the way the libraries are set up. I tried AcDSee 8, and the library function bothers me. Instead of having ALL your pictures as a part of one library the folders themselves still play a big part of tyhe structure. (At least that is what I noticed.) In Elements the folders are all in the background and you never really see any of it unless you want to.

So, to make a long story short I was hoping that Lightroom would be the solution I could switch to that would be more "pro" then Elements. Make sense? Lol!

Hope this helps. Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Well, one thing to note with iView Media Pro is that anotations are not automatically written to files like Elements - they are stored in the database. You have to run the 'Sync Annotations' command to send the annotations back to the files.

Remember, you don't need to follow sheep! Look at [URL="http://www.thedambook.com">The DAM Book[/URL] which explains a cataloguing with Bridge and iView Media Pro. At the moment, I am using around Bridge, Camera Raw, iView Media Pro, ExifRenamer and PictureSync for the workflow process whereas this could be reduced down to one or two with Elements/Lightroom.

As Peter Krogh said, you may/will loose your annotations (or anything) in Lightroom as they have said there will be database changes and there may not be full upgrade between Betas! Therefore, stick with a full product and make sure you aren't tied to a single product. With Bridge/iView, all the annotations are interchangable. If you can strech, I think Bridge/Photoshop/iView are a very good combination.

As I said, I haven't looked at Elements in detail but I guess it may not be suitable for the professional/serious ameteur (that's me!)

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    I see what you are saying. Wht do you think about once Lightroom is complete? Will that be more the solution that I am looking for? I'm looking for basically one program (along with CS2 of course) that will be able to do all of my managing and such of pictures.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I see what you are saying. Wht do you think about once Lightroom is complete? Will that be more the solution that I am looking for? I'm looking for basically one program (along with CS2 of course) that will be able to do all of my managing and such of pictures.

I think once Lightroom is finished, it will take over all the applications. BUT (and the big but), we don't know the final/future feature list. There has been little talk past these short term features:

* Speed!
    * Crop
    * Rotate?
    * Bug Squashing

However, from reading the Lightroom discussion, it looks like the popular things are:

* Better IPTC support (like iView)
    * SDK for 3rd Party Modules
    * Better JPEG/TIFF/PSD support
    * Windows Version
    * Better Printing Colour management support
    * And it goes on..

So, I can't say how good Lightroom 1.0 will be for me. Hopefully, it should be able to replace my current set of programmes. The price is an important factor - what if you put your entire collection in a 'free' programme which then turns into a £400 programme which you can't afford. Bummer. Therefore, I've just purchased IVMP 3.0.1 and I will stick to it until LR 1.0 (or until a price is announced).

iView Media Pro is known as a Digital Asset Mangement (DAM) programme which will sort, cataloguing, print, web-gallery, backup and much more to your photos. Thousands of pro photographers use it and most people around here seem to. I'd recommend you down the demo from www.iview-multimedia.com/mediapro and give it a go.

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    What are some examples of things that you can do with Media Pro, (or possibly lightroom eventually) that you can't do with Elements?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    What are some examples of things that you can do with Media Pro, (or possibly lightroom eventually) that you can't do with Elements?

Well, not having used elements much makes it difficult. Basically:

* iView is a digital asset manager. It can manage pictures, text, sounds, videos, not just photos
    * iView has seperate catalogues which contain thumbnails so you can view photos without having them present (e.g. viewing the contents of a backup DVD without having it)
    * The annotating is first class. You can do people, places, URL, keywords and define your own fields
    * It is very very fast
    * A catalogue with over 1000 images is only 10mb with 1024x768 previews!
    * Intergates well with Photoshop CS2
    * All metadata is industry standard (think Bridge and Lightroom in the future)
    * Catalogue Sets are a life send - you can have set below set below set!
    * You can search multiple catalogues instantly
    * You can view instantly by person, place, date
    * Automatically generate Capture Sets from Exif data
    * Slideshows
    * Lovely HTML gallerys
    * Lightbox feature - view 4 images with histrograms full screen to compare

I had this problem and you may do. Lightroom is NOT a replacement for iView. iView is an asset management programme and a dam (pun) good one. However, Lightroom will be more intergated (all-in-one application) but the intergration between iView and Bridge is such it does not matter. Lightroom will not have all the features of iView but it may not matter to me or you. We'll have to wait and see.

Hope this is helpful. Have you downloaded a trial?

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    One point I must mention is that most pro/ameteur photographers (including me, again :): ) find that iView just does too much. I don't need all the functions but there is nothign better. Simple keywording and people annotations would do be fine but again, the issue with Lightroom for me is price and the future feature set.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Ok, a few things I like about Elements that I haven't found anywhere else:

1) Version sets - I know that Media Pro has a version set feature, but I don't think it is implemented very well. In Elements the edited fiels stay in the same directory just with edited after their name. The edited after the name happens automatically regardless of the program you use to edit. When I tell it I want to edit a picture in photoshop it opens the picture in photoshop with the edited name already, it locks the current one in elements until I finish diting it. THen when I save the editeed one it unlocks the original and asks me if I want to add teh new one to a version set. This all happens automatically and is somethign I've never seen anywhere else.

2) Good editing tools - The standard edit within Elements is basically a dumbed down version of photoshop. So when I don't need to do massive edits I can just use this. It still supports layers and I can save in psd files.

3) Simple - It is a very easy to use program. I know this may not seem to big of a deal, but it is so easy to do so many things with it. I know that it may not be as powerfula s Media Pro, but it seems to do everything I need it to.

The biggest area this program is lacking I think is where the IPTC standards are concerned. I am hoping this will be fixed in a future version. The reason I have been looking at Lightroom is that I am hoping it will be basically an updated version of Elements. Something that takes the consumer (easy to use, etc...) Elements, and combines it with the power of a program like Media Pro. This may not turn out to be the case, but I'm hoping!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    1. Well, I have found a vary around this. I have 'Folder Watching' turn on which means iView will automatically add new images if it finds them in a folder to the catalogue. So, if I open a DNG file to edit with ACR or Photoshop, I then save it as -EDIT1 or -EDIT2 and so on. Then, iView automatically picks this up and I tag it with a green (6) tag for an edited image. And when I 'Sort by Capture Data', I can view them all in a row. Slick? Not as good as Aperture/Elements but it works. Lightroom has nothing for versioning at the moment.

2. iView is not an editing programme. It is a cataloguing programme. Camera Raw does most things for me (straigten, rotate, etc..) but I just enter Photoshop for this. There are some very basic tools with iView but I have no experience. You could stick to Elements for editing :D

3. It may be simple but it does not have a KISS interface. I found it to be a bit bussy and 'consumer'. Profressional apps such as Lightroom and iView don't have lots and lots of wizards, fancy interfaces or pop-up boxes. They get the job done.

4. You still aren't getting the point with iView thumb.gif . You don't do editing in iView. You don't do versioning (not really). You are annotation and storing images for futhur use. Lightroom is not for the consumer. iView can work for the consumer. Lightroom will not be in a consumer price bracket either (like Aperture for example). Lightroom is designed for RAW shooters. It is not like Elements at all. It is designed for mainly professional (and some ameteur) photographers to allow them to bring in huge batches of images, process them quickly, choose'n'dump them, show them to clients and then print them. Elements is nothing like that. Sure, some of the elements of the programme will be snatched for the philiosophy won't be. You might be barking up the wrong tree with LR.

If you want IPTC, then try something higher up the scale than the Elements browser. If you are happy with Elements, stick with it. It only strickes me as a 'consumer, quick and dirty' application but I could be wrong!

This is turning into a good dicussion!

Seb
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Hmm, ok, so LR isn't going to have editing with Layers and such? Maybe I need to do some more reading into LR's capabilities! I will never be shooting tons and tons of pics, but some day I do hope to start shooting in RAW once I get a camera capable of that! :D

I guess Elements seems very slick to me because everything is integrated, so therefore the workflow proccess seems to go easier. I agree, it would not work if I was importing thousands of files at a time, but when I do 30 or 80 or eve several hundred it works great. And having it do all of the work of keeping my file versions straight for me is a wonderful thing.

Looks like I need to do some more research into LR. I'm glad this discussions has started! It's really opening my eyes to the way some of these programs work and what they are designed for!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Lightroom is intended for making colour adjustments to RAW files instantly from a shoot. When you get a RAW camera, I'd take another look.

I agree Elements is very intergrated which will never happen with Photoshop (Creative Suite is the intergration). Take a look around Adobe labs and you'll see all about LR!

Seb
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    I watched the intro video that is up at Adobe Labs, and it makes me think that most of the changes to things like contrast and color that you can do to RAW files you will be able to do to JPEG's as well, and do it all non destructivley. Something about it keeping track of all the changes in the LR database, and not actually changing the original files?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I watched the intro video that is up at Adobe Labs, and it makes me think that most of the changes to things like contrast and color that you can do to RAW files you will be able to do to JPEG's as well, and do it all non destructivley. Something about it keeping track of all the changes in the LR database, and not actually changing the original files?

Yes, it does work with JPEG/TIFF files.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    I guess after watching the video it seems to me like LR will be a program that, while you will get the most out of it if you are shooting RAW, any photographer's workflow would benefit from using it. It seems like it makes so many things so much easier from the "other" programs available out there.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Well, I've been fooling around with Ivew, and I think I may have figured out how to do with it what I want. Ok, so in ELements it makes it really easy to open a JPEG in Photoshop, edit it, save it as a PSD, and it automatically adds that new PSD into the version set of the original file in ELements. Not so in iView. I started working with the Media Versions, and you first must create create a new version of the file (click the little plus sign next to current version creates a new one) Then I can open it in photoshop. But the only way that it will automatically reflect my changes in iView is if I save the edited file with the same file name. That means if the file is a JPEG I would have to save is as a JPEG. When I do edits I like to save as PSD so that I know I'm not losing any quality from the original. THe only way I have come up with to do this in iView is to Batch convert all my files to PSD. This way when I create a new version to work on it is already in the new format, so that when I open that new version in Photoshop and save the changes the changes will be reflected in iView because the file name can remain the same.

Does this make sense? It might seem a little ridiculous to convert thousands of images to PSD format, but at least that way I never have to worry about losing quality from the original since PSD is a lossless format.

O, I know this thread is about LR, but I'm trying to find a solution now until LR comes out, that way when it does I'll know if I want to try it out! :D

Any feedback on this anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Ok, I think I finally have a way of doing this that doesn't involve converting thousands of pictures!

1 - Create a new version of the JPEG (Clicking the + sign next to the current version in the Media Version Box)
    2 - Convert the new version into a PSD file
    3 - Open the new version in Photoshop and make any changes
    4 - Save the file with the same PSD filename

Ok, so doing it this way basically duplicates what I was doing in Elements. I now have an original in JPEG format, and a new updated version in PSD format. THe only thing I wash I could still do with this is view all the versions side by side like I can in Elements. ANyone know of any way to do this?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    I see no reason to bloat up the hard drive with JPGs converted to PSDs in advance. I use a method like sebpayne's. In iView Media Pro, I turn on Folder Watching, and then Switch Auto-Update On for the folders I'm working in, so that when I save the JPG or RAW I'm working on as a PSD, iView picks it up automatically. If for some reason I don't want Folder Watching on, I just use the Update Folder command to do it manually when I want.

iView may not display new or changed files right away because its Auto-Update intervals are every 1 minute or every 5 minutes. To force an update, switch to another program and then switch back to iView.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Doing it that way does iView connect the two files? Or are they just in the library as individual entities?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    They're not connected. I keep all my versions together through strict filenaming. The versions have the exact same names as the original except for characters I vary at the end. If I sort by filename, all related images clump together naturally. I do this so that they will stay together whether I am viewing them in some program or on in an ordinary desktop window.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    Adobe released Lightroom Beta2 a few days ago. I have to say it was a great improvment over Beta1. This release is really fast. They have also added a crop tool that was missing from the first version.

Dave
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Just downloaded beta2 to test out on my new MacBook :D

It's very nice, probably overkill for my needs but I'm going to play around with it and see how it goes.

One question, is there any way to tell if you've modified an image? I realize there's no explicit 'save' functionality, but it'd be nice if I could see that I've made any changes (and better yet, exactly what those changes were).

I've gone through the beta forums and didn't see anything, about to watch the demo videos to see if it's covered there.

Thanks,