Review - Adobe Lightroom beta

13»

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    BrettG wrote:
    Just downloaded beta2 to test out on my new MacBook :D

It's very nice, probably overkill for my needs but I'm going to play around with it and see how it goes.

One question, is there any way to tell if you've modified an image? I realize there's no explicit 'save' functionality, but it'd be nice if I could see that I've made any changes (and better yet, exactly what those changes were).

I've gone through the beta forums and didn't see anything, about to watch the demo videos to see if it's covered there.

Thanks,

There is nothing that shows when you've modified an that I'm aware of. What I do is hit the reset button and see if there are any changes. Then I just undo restore image to re-apply the adjustments. I also use this to toggle between before & after since there isn't a button for that yet.

Dave
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    BrettG wrote:
    Just downloaded beta2 to test out on my new MacBook :D
    Thanks,
    I've resisted this question on my first reply, but its been bugging me all day...

Do I even want to know how fast it is on your MacBook? I'm currently on a 12" 1.33GHz PB :)

Dave
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Thanks for your reply. As far as speed goes, it seems quite fast - but I don't have anything to compare it to as I've never used it on another mac.

I haven't done anything major with it yet, but no slowdowns in switching images or slideshow or applying sharpening etc.

Importing 24 or so raw files (6MP MRWs) was kind of slow, but other than that nothing of note.

Seems to use 2 cores effectively, I've seen my activity monitor almost peg both at times.

Brett.
  • Options
    spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Lightroom rocks!
    Andy,
    I have been using both Beta versions and really like the interface. The "Raw" style color correction tools in Develope are very intutitive when used on jpeg and Tiff files, if you process Raw files (and what pro isn't processing Raw?). The Printing interface is also a pleasure to work with, can be formatted to print multiple prints of different sizes on one sheet. I print with a Fuji Pictrography 4500N and this interface allows me to maximize each print made with multiple prints per sheet.

The only complaint I have is the Beta version is a little sluggish at times but that is usually inherent in test versions. Can't wait for the full version...I'm buying!ylsuper.gif

spudjer
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Just in case you may not have noticed, Beta 3 is now available.
  • Options
    nfunk59nfunk59 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Lightroom Beta Slow???
    Just loaded lightroom beta on my new mac mini intel core due and its sooooo slow. Anybody else share this experience?

I use RawShooter (with which Lightroom shares much technlogy) on my oldish and heavily laden PC and it wizzes trough RAW processing but using Lightroom beta on my spanking new mac is painfully slow?

Any comments?

Geoff Crawford
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    How much memory do you have installed?
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    when exactly is Lightroom avaliable for the PC?

Do I want to wait for this programme to begin my Data Asset Management or can I in the mean time use a third part catalogue programme such as iview, extensis portfolio and then switch with any ease?
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    nfunk59 wrote:
    I use RawShooter (with which Lightroom shares much technlogy) Any comments?
    Lightroom presently shares zero technology with Rawshooter. All that has happened is that Adobe has recently acquired Rawshooter (and its principals) and notified that RS will not be further developed. Some specific functions of Rawshooter may find their way into Lightroom over time, but that's all.
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    sorry, LR is availiable for PC see the following thread.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38512&highlight=lightroom+beta
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Lightroom question ---

First, some background.
    1. I am a brand new Mac user...so am in the process of learning the Mac language which is a task in and of itself.
    2. I was using PSE 5.0 on my old PC
    3. There is no PSE 5.0 for Mac
    4. So I am now using Lightroom - which I love.
    Now on to my questions:

So after I inport my photos, it's great that I can make most of my changes in Lightroom. However, there is no "save as" button like there is in every other photo editor software. I liked in my old PSE, I was able to just hit save and the program knew to save the file with an "_edited_1" extension to the filename, save it in the correct folder, and also stack it with the original.

What would be the equivalent in Lightroom?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Oakley wrote:
    Lightroom question ---

First, some background.
    1. I am a brand new Mac user...so am in the process of learning the Mac language which is a task in and of itself.
    2. I was using PSE 5.0 on my old PC
    3. There is no PSE 5.0 for Mac
    4. So I am now using Lightroom - which I love.
    Now on to my questions:

So after I inport my photos, it's great that I can make most of my changes in Lightroom. However, there is no "save as" button like there is in every other photo editor software. I liked in my old PSE, I was able to just hit save and the program knew to save the file with an "_edited_1" extension to the filename, save it in the correct folder, and also stack it with the original.

What would be the equivalent in Lightroom?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    There's no direct analogy in LR for what you used to do in PSE. What you used to do was save an edited PSD (or TIF or JPEG) of your file, edited, as a separate file. In Lightroom, if you want to save a new file, you either have to "Edit in Photoshop" which then creates a PSD with the "_edit" extension and stacks it with the original, or export the file. Exporting just converts the RAW to a TIFF or JPG file and stores it on your hard drive. It does not stack it. If you want to stack it, you have to import the file you exported.

Another option in LR is to make a virtual copy. Just perform your edits and, in the context menu, click "make virtual copy). That creats a second "version" of the file in the LR database and stacks it with the original. It does not create a new file. But, it does allow you to perform different edits on two or more versions.