Options

NEW/UPDATED: Gallery Header / Cover Image

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 2, 2016
    In relation to <BR>'s,
    I'd noticed that too. There seems to be no consistency across SmugMug about recognising HTML syntax.
    We made sure that this uses the same HTML syntax whitelist that the rest of the site uses. <BR>'s should be allowed. I just tested using <BR>'s on my own site, and they work fine. Could you link me to some galleries where it's not working?
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    1) is there a way to get the Gallery Name back on the same line as the rest of the Breadcrumb?[/COLOR]
    Unfortunately there is not any way to get it back on the same line. The Breadcrumb is a navigational element with links to other folders on your site and the Gallery Title, which isn't a link, shouldn't have been mixed in with it. It's why we separated it and highlighted it - so it's easy for your visitors to know exactly which gallery they're at. It also makes it easier for them to find the navigational links to return to various sections of your site.
    pmbpro wrote: »
    [In regards to changing the color of the breadcrumb] I agree. That should have been an option. I don't mind changing the overall CSS one time though, as long as it can be fixed.

I change the breadcrumb color on my site by using:
    /* Change the color of the Gallery Breadcrumb */
    .sm-breadcrumbs *, .sm-breadcrumb a {
        color: #C7C7CF !important;
    }

I have no idea why the gallery name would be gone now, nor the folder level Blue colour would disappear. Is there something to that code where it can bring these elements back?
    The Gallery Title will now always be displayed in the Header. In the Breadcrumb Content Block, if "Show Current Page" was turned ON, it would duplicate the Title (one in the breadcrumb CB and one in the header), so we no longer display the current page, if the current page is a Gallery. The Gallery title will always be displayed outside of the breadcrumb.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2016
    Side-note: I've updated the title of this thread since it's no longer "COMING SOON" to now "NEW / UPDATED"...
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    I change the breadcrumb color on my site by using:
    }

The Gallery Title will now always be displayed in the Header. In the Breadcrumb Content Block, if "Show Current Page" was turned ON, it would duplicate the Title (one in the breadcrumb CB and one in the header), so we no longer display the current page, if the current page is a Gallery. The Gallery title will always be displayed outside of the breadcrumb.

Thanks Aaron. I now added the Blue font colour to the Gallery Title, so it's highlighted.

However, regarding you code for the full Gallery Breadcrumb, everything is Blue now.

Is there a way to have JUST the current folder be Blue, and any other preceding folders remain White?

That's the only thing I was hoping to get, that the 'current' folders be Blue.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    }

This works to fix the color of my breadcrumb...does anyone know how to get a different color when hovering over the links in the breadcrumb?
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    Gads, stuff like this drives me crazy. I've been following this thread for the last few weeks - I decided fairly soon it wouldn't be for me because of the a)the loss of valuable vertical space and b)the inability to choose the crop on the Title Photo. So now I'm stuck with a huge ugly Gallery Title that I don't want and the Gallery Description above the gallery title. I don't have time for this. I want my vertical space back!!

While I welcome SM offering design changes and choices, it's vital that we the users (especially those of us who pay something) have the option to keep things as they are. This is not like the major platform change from "old" to "new" SM, it is a simple design element change and as end user I should be able to choose whether or not I want it at all.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    While I welcome SM offering design changes and choices, it's vital that we the users (especially those of us who pay something) have the option to keep things as they are. This is not like the major platform change from "old" to "new" SM, it is a simple design element change and as end user I should be able to choose whether or not I want it at all.

I agree. The great thing about Smugmug is the customization. You can spend weeks getting every element of every page to look just the way you want it only for a forced 'improvement' to set you back again. I cannot get my headings to look the way they did before and it's incredibly annoying. Please make these things optional.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    Is there a way to have JUST the current folder be Blue, and any other preceding folders remain White?
    This CSS will make the last folder (the current one) be shown in blue:
    /* Make the last folder (the current folder) be a different color */
    .sm-breadcrumbs li.sm-breadcrumb:last-of-type a {
        color: blue !important;
    }

pbandj wrote: »
    does anyone know how to get a different color when hovering over the links in the breadcrumb?

I had a small error in my previous code to change the color of the breadcrumb, it had ".sm-breadscrumbs *, ...". That star is causing the hover state to be incorrect. The code to do the colors would be:
    /* Change the color of the breadcrumb links */
    .sm-breadcrumbs a, .sm-breadcrumb a {
    }

/* Change the color of the breadrumb links hover state */
    .sm-breadcrumb a:hover {
        color: red !important;
    }

}

/* Make the last folder be a different color on hover */
    .sm-breadcrumbs li.sm-breadcrumb:last-of-type a:hover {
        color: red !important;
    }

I decided fairly soon it wouldn't be for me because of the a)the loss of valuable vertical space and b)the inability to choose the crop on the Title Photo. So now I'm stuck with a huge ugly Gallery Title that I don't want and the Gallery Description above the gallery title. I don't have time for this. I want my vertical space back!!
    a) There is only a slight loss of vertical space since we made up for it by bringing the slideshow, download and buy buttons up from where they previously were. You could shrink the Gallery Title and end up with the same or even less vertical space than previously (a win).

b) We're in the works of adding the ability to reposition the Cover Image. Stay tuned!
    While I welcome SM offering design changes and choices, it's vital that we the users (especially those of us who pay something) have the option to keep things as they are. ... it is a simple design element change and as end user I should be able to choose whether or not I want it at all.
    Just like any software platform, upgrades happen to keep the product up-to-date. We're always working to improve smugmug for all of our customers and it's both unfeasible and unreasonable to have customers using various versions of the software. Part of the reason of opening this thread up early was so that we could collect feedback and build the updates in a way that would please as many people as possible.

Any software you use will push improvements to the service; while I know change is always difficult at first, eventually we come to realize that many of these changes were good changes. Just look at Denise, her initial hesitation was replaced with enjoyment of the update.

We know we can do a better job of announcing changes like this, and we're going to get better at it. Stay tuned.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    Can we have some CSS to force the font type (and weight) please so it matches everything else on the Gallery page.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    LPC wrote: »
    Can we have some CSS to force the font type please so it matches everything else on the Gallery page.

I think all the CSS you need is linked in this thread. Is there anything missing? I'm more than happy to provide if it's not here!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited June 3, 2016
    Any software you use will push improvements to the service; while I know change is always difficult at first, eventually we come to realize that many of these changes were good changes. Just look at Denise, her initial hesitation was replaced with enjoyment of the update.

We know we can do a better job of announcing changes like this, and we're going to get better at it. Stay tuned.
    There's a fairly obvious solution to the communication issue: email notification in advance of pushing changes. You could make it opt-in so as not to bother people who don't care, and of course, provide the ability to opt out anytime.

I'm on Dgrin all the time, so I generally know when something is coming. For me, the issue is not understanding how an impending change is going to affect my site--this time, the main issue was duplication of the gallery title. Maybe I'm just dense and should have seen it coming, dunno.

I understand why it's impractical to permit users to pick and choose among software updates--the number of versions you have to support increases exponentially. But I don't understand why you can't incorporate staged updates in the Preview environment. That would allow us to see the effects of product changes before they are pushed and let us make any changes we might need before they go live. It would also provide SM with some additional QA input, much the way other vendors offer beta versions before final releases.
  • Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    @leftquark when you make announcements like the one from June 1st (or was that May 31st) that things are going to be implemented "tomorrow" could you instead give a date and potential time with timezone? It would make it easier for those of us not in the same timezone (at least for me) to know when to look for these changes. I recall to have read that announcement in the evening of one day, checking for updates in the morning of the next and there were none, so I thought my site would strangely stay as it had been ... until later on when you finally had reached "daytime of the next day again".

And I agree with a few others here that having the current page in the breadcrump actually wasn't a bad thing but a good one. Now unfortunately I have pages that show the "full old breadcrump" and galleries that show the "reduced new breadcrump" ...so my nice coherence is gone and visitors might start wondering which is which, not hitting on "Newzealand" when they want to go one folder back as it looks to be the current one, while they actually are in a gallery which is a subfolder to "Newzealand"... sure most of us will get use to the "reduced" breadcrump, but that needs to be coherent or it will be confusing to say the least.

Too sad there is no gallery type "collection landscape" with pages - kind of a mix of the "smugmug type" and the "collection type" potentially looking somewhat like these ones: www.lilleulven.com/Portfolios/Favorites just with additional pages to fill if there are more than a page of photos (or maybe more than 7 rows or so). Because I admit I love my new Portfolio pages from after your update, but it wouldn't work as nice if I hadn't hand coded it...and no I don't want hand coding for galleries with > 100 photos, which might get more frequent updates (unless I get paid for the coding that is :D)

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    I think all the CSS you need is linked in this thread. Is there anything missing? I'm more than happy to provide if it's not here!

I can't see anything for typeface or weight - only font size and colour.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    I understand why it's impractical to permit users to pick and choose among software updates--the number of versions you have to support increases exponentially. But I don't understand why you can't incorporate staged updates in the Preview environment. That would allow us to see the effects of product changes before they are pushed and let us make any changes we might need before they go live. It would also provide SM with some additional QA input, much the way other vendors offer beta versions before final releases.

The "Preview" environment that was built for the transition from Old to New SmugMug wasn't setup to handle beta releases like we'd want to do. We actually are working to gear up a beta-tester type program that we'll open up for you all to opt-into, in which case we'd preview changes like this and gather feedback. We'll start with screenshots and other demos and eventually expand to letting you opt-into features before we release them to the public, but that piece will take a little time to build. We're still sorting out the details on this. You'll see an announcement in one of our upcoming Newsletters with a link to tell us you're interested in being a part of the program.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    @leftquark when you make announcements could you instead give a date and potential time with timezone?
    I'll do my best to be more specific! In this case we had a couple things come up that delayed it a day or two but I can certainly try to be more specific when I'm able!
    LPC wrote: »
    I can't see anything for typeface or weight - only font size and colour.
    you can add the following to alter typeface or weight:
    font-weight: 300;
    font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

You shouldn't need to alter typeface (font) since it should use the font from your theme already.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016

you can add the following to alter typeface or weight:
    font-weight: 300;
    font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

You shouldn't need to alter typeface (font) since it should use the font from your theme already.

Thank you

edit - font-weight doesn't change anything for me.

Never mind - I deleted the breadcrumb altogether. Shame i had to do that to make it look better.
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    This CSS will make the last folder (the current one) be shown in blue:
    }

Thanks for the code! I have it stored now. I ended up deciding to keep those folders White, and keeping just the Gallery Title Blue (as per my original design). So now the only difference from my original design is that the Blue gallery title is on another line (which I'm not really a fan of, since I am not using Cover images).

I also moved the horizontal line from the original breadcrumb, to below that new gallery title, to keep it separate from the rest of my original text.

http://www.pmbimages.com/Film-Stills/Portfolio/Recall-2015/

And yes, I agree with you about providing better notice to all of your customers for these changes. I've been working on the road and I do not visit SmugMug/Dgrin all the time.

The same way SmugMug sends email alerts for maintenance, troubleshooting, or 'new services', I'd like to think they can do the same for any layout and design changes like these.

Please consider this.

Thanks.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    brettchristliebbrettchristlieb Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    I posted this last night then saw this thread.

Previously we could hide the Download All button, but still allow individual downloads using this code.

/* Hide the Download All button */
    .sm-gallery-download-button {
    display: none !important;
    }

However, I noticed that SmugMug changed the Download All button to a button with a downward arrow and now that code above no longer functions. Looking at the code I found that modifying the above code to look like this seems to work.

/* Hide the Download All button */
    .sm-gallery-cover-download-button {
    }

I was hiding the Download All button, but leaving the little one active in quite a galleries in one section. I cannot seem to find a way to make a mass update to all of the galleries in this section. Only one at a time, which is not a problem but knocking this change out one time would be nice.
    Brett Alan Christlieb
    www.brettalanphotography.com
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    Can someone please help me remove what is showing at the title and description. Everything was like I wanted it and now it just looks bad. I don't sell my images so I don't need a buy button but I don't like the title and description showing as it is.
    http://www.connieandersonphotography.com/Houston-Interiors-photography/

Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited June 3, 2016
    Can someone please help me remove what is showing at the title and description.
    Add this CSS to remove both the title and the description:
    .sm-gallery-cover-title,
    .sm-gallery-cover-description {
    }

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    Can someone please help me remove what is showing at the title and description. Everything was like I wanted it and now it just looks bad. I don't sell my images so I don't need a buy button but I don't like the title and description showing as it is.
    http://www.connieandersonphotography.com/Houston-Interiors-photography/

Thanks in advance!!

The buy button is only displayed if you've either enabled the shopping cart in the gallery settings or you're logged in as the account owner. If the shopping cart is disabled and you're not logged in (like how a visitor would see it), the buy button won't be there.

The description is only shown since you added a description in the gallery settings. Is there a reason why you added a description but then don't want it shown? You could always just delete the description.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    OK, I have been changing some more stuff after the release of these new gallery-covers and found the following...
    While it makes perfect sense to not have the entire breadcrumb including the "page" you are in activated on the gallery-cover level - after all that last page is named in the gallery-cover headline anyway... It makes perfect sense to have this still available for the "old breadcrumb" (which it is currently). This way we can have two breadcrumbs per page, one for the gallery-cover without the last bit and one in the bottom of the page with all information as we are used to. Having all information in the bottom would make sense for lager pages, that need scrolling so the gallery-cover might be moved into the invisible areas (off screen).

And since I was at it anyway... In case anybody else needs to adapt the gallery-cover breadcrumb in a different way than the "old breadcrumb" adapt the old breadcrumb with leftquarks code first and then change the gallery-cover-breadcrumb by using this type of CSS below the "old breadcrumb css" - of course you will have to make your own changes within the {} here as usual.
    /* Adaptions for gallery-cover-breadcrumbs*/
    .sm-gallery-cover-breadcrumbs, .sm-breadcrumbs a, .sm-breadcrumb a {
        color: white !important; /*white;*/
        /*background-color: #59a0de !important; #496486  instead of #d90000*/
    }

/* Change the color of the breadrumb links hover state */
    .sm-gallery-cover-breadcrumbs .sm-breadcrumb a:hover {
        border-bottom: 1px solid white !important;
        text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px #fefefe !important;
    }

.sm-gallery-cover-breadcrumbs .sm-breadcrumbs li.sm-breadcrumb:last-of-type a {
        color: #493080  !important;
        font-weight: 500 !important;
    }

/* Make the last folder be a different color on hover */
    .sm-gallery-cover-breadcrumbs .sm-breadcrumbs li.sm-breadcrumb:last-of-type a:hover {
        border-bottom: 1px solid #493080 !important;
        /*text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px white !important;*/
        font-weight: 500 !important;
    }
    /* End of Adaptions for gallery-cover-breadcrumbs*/

• Options
    bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    How can I remove the slideshow button in the gallery header? The old code doesn't work anymore.

I would also like to remove the buy button completely, not only the text.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    How can I remove the slideshow button in the gallery header? The old code doesn't work anymore.

I would also like to remove the buy button completely, not only the text.
    Appearance tab of gallery settings.

Shopping tab in gallery settings. Turn shopping cart off.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    For the removal of the slideshow button try this, bokehlover71:
    .sm-button.sm-button-size-large.sm-button-skin-default.sm-gallery-cover-slideshow-button{
    display:none !important;
    }

Good luck

Lille Ulven
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    For the removal of the slideshow button try this, bokehlover71:
    .sm-button.sm-button-size-large.sm-button-skin-default.sm-gallery-cover-slideshow-button{
    }

Good luck

Lille Ulven

Thanks a lot! That worked fine!
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    Appearance tab of gallery settings.

Shopping tab in gallery settings. Turn shopping cart off.

The problem is that I actually want both the shopping and slideshow possibilities, but just not in the gallery header. They are still available below each image, and I think that is sufficient.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016
    @bokehlover71 in theory this should do the trick:
    .sm-button.sm-button-size-large.sm-button-skin-default.sm-gallery-cover-buy-button{
    }

Or to hide all gallery cover buttons this might do the trick:
    .sm-gallery-cover .sm-gallery-cover-headerbuttons {
    }

Lykke til

Lille Ulven
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2016

Or to hide all gallery cover buttons this might do the trick:
    .sm-gallery-cover .sm-gallery-cover-headerbuttons {
    }

Lykke til

Lille Ulven

Thanks a lot! Hiding all gallery cover buttons was a very elegant solution :-)
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2016
    Why am I getting a "more" button for a Smugmug style gallery w/ a very short description?
    http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/European-Tours/European-Tour-2003/Civita-Italy/

This gallery has a much longer description and it all show w/o a "more" button?
    http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/Sports-Images/Football/Football-2015-Regular-Season/LWE-V-Football-Lockport-2015/

Boy I hate when SM changes thing and it messes w/ years of customization :(
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited June 4, 2016
    Why am I getting a "more" button for a Smugmug style gallery w/ a very short description?
    http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/European-Tours/European-Tour-2003/Civita-Italy/

This gallery has a much longer description and it all show w/o a "more" button?
    http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/Image-Galleries/Sports-Images/Football/Football-2015-Regular-Season/LWE-V-Football-Lockport-2015/
    I've seen this problem too but I hadn't reported it yet since I wasn't able to find a reproducible case. In my case I saw the problem using Edge but not Chrome - even with the browser at exactly the same size. Just out of curiosity I opened Internet Explorer from Edge and saw the same problem.

Your two examples both work properly for me. If the problem is tied to the size of the browser window then that might make sense (or maybe not).

I just did some more playing on my site to see if I could find some galleries that exhibit this odd behavior.

Here's one - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Fragments/A-wander-in-Boston-2015/.

Using Edge browser:
    i-s7Fnz4d-XL.jpg

Using Firefox and Chrome browsers with window set to the same width as that used in Edge:
    i-ZdxCrWf-XL.jpg

Note that the problem on Edge persists with this gallery even when I maximize the browser window (on a large screen monitor) and refresh it.

Here are some more galleries where I've seen this problem:
    http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Wandering-near-home/Spring-2016/
    http://www.denisegoldberg.com/GardensFlowersThings/Andres-Institute-of-Art-2016/
    http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Wandering-near-home/Winter-2016/

I think I'm starting to see a pattern. All of the galleries I've seen with this problem have a short gallery description.

--- Denise