Dgrin Meetups - Midwest & Central

245

Comments

  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 8, 2008
    Who here has this Monday afternoon/eve. off work? (the 9th?)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Who here has this Monday afternoon/eve. off work? (the 9th?)

    Sorry I work Monday-Friday... non wedding Saturdays and just about any Sundays are best (Sundays preferred).
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie should be out shooting Posts: 156Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Who here has this Monday afternoon/eve. off work? (the 9th?)

    I work days Monday. My Monday evening is open ATM. The weather looks dampish. Wadda Ya thinkin?
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    The last time I went to Brookfield was in 2007, about a year ago I believe.
    The Shedd was a couple of years ago.

    And it's a *never* as well for the Chicago Botanical Garden.

    I've been really wanting to purchase a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro... if we do decide to go to the Botanical Gardens for a photo shoot... I'd really like to have purchased that first. I should be able to afford it a little later this summer after my next few weddings. Almost done paying off my 40D :)

    Otherwise I'm game for anything. I am only about an hours drive from Chicago, so I am not opposed to heading out there more than once as well :)
    The 100 Macro is an awesome lens, I regret selling it sometimes. I've currently got the 180L Macro if you want to use it or the 135L plus extension tubes. I'm up for going to any of the above or somewhere between here and Indiana. I'll have to double check but I should be available the 28th and 29th. Good luck with your weddings, I've done a couple this year and need to figure out a better routine fo processing, it's currently taking me forever.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Who here has this Monday afternoon/eve. off work? (the 9th?)
    Gotta work.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    The 100 Macro is an awesome lens, I regret selling it sometimes. I've currently got the 180L Macro if you want to use it or the 135L plus extension tubes. I'm up for going to any of the above or somewhere between here and Indiana. I'll have to double check but I should be available the 28th and 29th. Good luck with your weddings, I've done a couple this year and need to figure out a better routine fo processing, it's currently taking me forever.

    I'm presently open for something on the 28th or 29th. I do my post processing in bulk in Lightroom, I have found compared to doing everything in Photoshop that really saves me a lot of time since I can bulk edit.
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 9, 2008
    Monday (today) woudn't have worked anyway. The weather is.... well, put it this way: Yikes! Almost about to hide in the basement its so bad out there. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I'm presently open for something on the 28th or 29th. I do my post processing in bulk in Lightroom, I have found compared to doing everything in Photoshop that really saves me a lot of time since I can bulk edit.
    It looks like I'm going to the Cubs Sox game on Saturday the 28th so how about Sunday the 29th. Who's in and where are we going?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    It looks like I'm going to the Cubs Sox game on Saturday the 28th so how about Sunday the 29th. Who's in and where are we going?

    I just ordered the 100mm f2.8 macro... so I'm open for anywhere :) It will be here well before then.
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    The June '08 Chicago Dgrin Meetup was a success! (like, why wouldn't it be?)

    David's thread here.
    Ann's thread here.
    Kevin's thread here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I just ordered the 100mm f2.8 macro... so I'm open for anywhere :) It will be here well before then.
    I'll be out of town the 23rd till the 29th so maybe sometime in July after the 4th? I'm not going to let this thread die so speak up people. Who's in and where do you want to go.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 16, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I'll be out of town the 23rd till the 29th so maybe sometime in July after the 4th? I'm not going to let this thread die so speak up people. Who's in and where do you want to go.

    CBG?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I'll be out of town the 23rd till the 29th so maybe sometime in July after the 4th? I'm not going to let this thread die so speak up people. Who's in and where do you want to go.

    I have a wedding on July 5th, so that date is out. July 6th in the afternoon might work though, but not the morning a I'll be sleeping in to recuperate from shooting said wedding the night before.

    The following weekend I have no weddings, but my graduate class I'm in has us in Chicago to see some Shakespeare play on July 12th (maybe before or after that on the 12th). July 19th a friend is getting married and I'll be in Michigan for that... after that no more wedding weekends in July :)
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    OK so lets set a tentative date of Sunday July 6th in the afternoon at the Botanical Gardens. Dave does that work for you? Anyone else want to join us?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    OK so lets set a tentative date of Sunday July 6th in the afternoon at the Botanical Gardens. Dave does that work for you? Anyone else want to join us?

    Sounds good so far :)

    -Cat
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 18, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    OK so lets set a tentative date of Sunday July 6th in the afternoon at the Botanical Gardens. Dave does that work for you? Anyone else want to join us?

    CBG is always good shooting, weather permitting. (Morton Arboretum members get in free, BTW. deal.gif )

    I'd have to get a request in at work pronto as I most always work Sundays, so let me get back to this in a few days, m-kay?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    So it's Cat and I with David as a maybe.

    Any other takers? Don't be shy, I know there are other Chicago area members out there. If you don't want to post here PM me.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    CBG is always good shooting, weather permitting. (Morton Arboretum members get in free, BTW. deal.gif )

    I'd have to get a request in at work pronto as I most always work Sundays, so let me get back to this in a few days, m-kay?

    Do you work at Morton Aboretum?

    Hope you can come! Let us know :)
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 18, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Do you work at Morton Aboretum?

    No, but they have annual memberships. Morton is just down the road from me. One of the member perks is reciprical admission at about a hundred arboretums, gardens, conservatories, etc. around the country and North America.

    I mention it because there are many folk in the Western Suburbs of Chicago that are Morton members; and if one is a nature photographer, it is well worth the annual fee for the many locals that one normally would pay entry to.
    Shima wrote:
    Hope you can come! Let us know :)

    Me too! nod.gif And it would be fun to meet you and other Grinners.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie should be out shooting Posts: 156Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    So it's Cat and I with David as a maybe.

    Any other takers? Don't be shy, I know there are other Chicago area members out there. If you don't want to post here PM me.

    Looks like I'm not keeping up on my forum reading. 7/6 at the CBG, afternoon? I should be able to make that. Please count me in!

    (hmmm, didn't I take some pictures last week...wonder where they ran off to...)
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    . . . . . .
    (hmmm, didn't I take some pictures last week...wonder where they ran off to...)

    Some of us were wondering the same thing.










    :hide
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Major grins Posts: 212Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hey, the more, the merrier! Gas is high right now. Your avatar pic suggests a transportation alternative to the price of driving.

    Haha, now that would be quite the story... Deciding to ride the horse all teh way to Chicago just to take some shots! :D
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    Haha, now that would be quite the story... Deciding to ride the horse all teh way to Chicago just to take some shots! :D

    Are you going to join us?

    I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing another photog (who is not on dgrin) with me... still working on scheduling that with her, but it's looking good so far.
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 22, 2008
    July 6th is looking good. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater SmugMug Technical Account Manager Posts: 3,599Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    So that's 3 in, 1 probably and 2 possibly. We're making progress. Who else wants to join in the fun?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Major grins Posts: 212Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I have a wedding booked that weekend...ne_nau.gif Maybe next time.
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    I have a wedding booked that weekend...ne_nau.gif Maybe next time.

    Bummer... I have a wedding that weekend but it's on Saturday, so my Sunday is free :)
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Major grins Posts: 212Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Mine is as well, but I figure I'll need Sunday to get a jump start on burning the images so I can get the cd to the bride and groom... :(:
  • ShimaShima k3npo Posts: 2,603Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    Mine is as well, but I figure I'll need Sunday to get a jump start on burning the images so I can get the cd to the bride and groom... :(:

    This is why my contract states 2-4 weeks before they get anything... you should contemplate adding something like that in if it's not there already... cuz having to start doing that already on Sunday sounds painful! ::hugs:: best of luck with it!
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,571Administrators moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
Sign In or Register to comment.