Andy (canon) vs Harry (nikon).....what to do, what to do?

morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Cameras
ok I have a minor problem. My wife and I are getting ready to open up shop and I am thinking of changing to Nikon's (D2X) but before I do I would like everyones thoughts on the D2X -vs- the Canon D5. The problem that I will face with the change from Canon to Nikon is buying all new lenses.
The cost of the D2X is not the issue, just what is the better choice
Bob.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Have you seen Harry's photos? lol3.gif Nikon is sweet. So's Canon. In the end, you have to choose. There's no *better* camera - only better photographers.

The two brands have their strengths and weaknesses. You'd have to tell us a lot more about what you will shoot, where, why, how, under what circumstances, what your preferences are, what focals you like, low ISO, high ISO, studio, landscape, portraits, sports, wildlife, more.

And still, it's YOUR choice :D

Clear as mud?

pssst! buy canon!

:hide
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    You do realize you have just opened up Pandoras Box don't you.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    gluwater wrote:

rolleyes1.gif i'm afraid i hvae to agree, when you put
    Canon(andy) vs. Nikon (harry) thers going to be the battle of the gods....

small taste of whats to come =====>gerg.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Yes I do.
    We have used Canon for the last five years and I don't know if we should make the change or not.
    edited January 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif i'm afraid i hvae to agree, when you put
    Canon(andy) vs. Nikon (harry) thers going to be the battle of the gods....

small taste of whats to come =====>gerg.gif

We'll settle it over a rack of ribs. Each.
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We'll settle it over a rack of ribs. Each.

come on down to Kansas City,

and i'll treat you fine gentlemen to Jack Stack :eat

mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Have you seen Harry's photos? lol3.gif Nikon is sweet. So's Canon. In the end, you have to choose. There's no *better* camera - only better photographers.

The two brands have their strengths and weaknesses. You'd have to tell us a lot more about what you will shoot, where, why, how, under what circumstances, what your preferences are, what focals you like, low ISO, high ISO, studio, landscape, portraits, sports, wildlife, more.

And still, it's YOUR choice :D

We are needing a camera that is the most versatile and is the best choice for under $6,000.00
    My wife does weddings and studio photography and I do sports, weddings, studio and nature. So you see that we need one that is best for all. In the next year we plan to purchase a hasselblad for the shop, more money but it will be worth it.
    Bob.
    edited January 17, 2006
    a camera

Here's a flaw: you can't be in business with only ONE camera - you need to be thinking of TWO cameras. So, a 5D and 20D combo. Or a D2X/D200 and a D50 combo.

Cameras break. Clients won't wait.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    mwink.gif
    Pancakes? lol3.gif

Choosing between the two cameras is a tough deal. I would have thought your investment in Canon glass would have swayed you to the 5D. The professional build quality of the D2X is appealing.

Obviously, it will come down to getting your hands on each and seeing which better complements you. They both seem to be excellent machines.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:

mwink.gif
    Only if you throw in a BIG cheesecake (THE WHOLE THING AND NOT ONE OF THOSE LITTLE SLICES:eat) from down at the plaza and then we can all put back some Blvd. brew.
    Yes I love going to Kansas City.
    edited January 17, 2006
    lol. ahh, but the Cheesecake factory? those are everywhere. you want good Kansas CIty food get some BBQ, like Arthur Bryants, or Jack's Stack, or KC masterpiece, or Zardas:eat
    Daniel Bauer

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Just my 2 cents reguarding the D2x, you need great glass to go with it. It also will expose any shooting weakness you have. If you don't nail exposure you will be kicking yourself for spending the money. I never shot with Canon so I can't give an opinion there.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    ok I have a minor problem. My wife and I are getting ready to open up shop and I am thinking of changing to Nikon's (D2X) but before I do I would like everyones thoughts on the D2X -vs- the Canon D5. The problem that I will face with the change from Canon to Nikon is buying all new lenses.
    The cost of the D2X is not the issue, just what is the better choice
    Bob.

Hey Bob,

15524779-Ti.gif with Andy. Its a win-win proposition. My D2X arrives tomorrow so I don't have any hands on experience with it yet. I have a friend who shoots with the D2X and he loves it for wildlife and landscape shots. He also earns $ doing portraits and inside low light shots. he is seriously considering getting a 5D for that work because of the low noise levels of the 5D. The D2X's major weakness is its noise levels at higher ISOs.

Thats not a problem for me because I shoot usually between ISO 200-500 for my wildlife shots. If I was doing mostly low light high ISO shots I would probably switch to Canon or look at the Nikon D200. If I had a major investment in Canon glass I would stay with Canon.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 17, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    lol. ahh, but the Cheesecake factory? those are everywhere. you want good Kansas CIty food get some BBQ, like Arthur Bryants, or Jack's Stack, or KC masterpiece, or Zardas:eat

the nearest one to us is Chicago for the factory, as for ribs yes KC masterpiece has great ribs, I can't remember the name of it but down at the track there is another rib place it might be Arthur Bryants but I am not sure but that place has some realy great ribs also.
    Bob.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 17, 2006
    We'll settle the whole debate in May
    May brings the Big Shootout. Some will be using Canon gear, while others will be shooting with Nikon (plus probably a few other assorted brands too). Those who return from the trip alive will be the winners, and the photos will be displayed proudly in the Gallery. The losing brand team will be left somewhere in Zion, desperately hunting for their way out. deal.gif

A very good omen for the Canon team is the nearby burb of Canonville, just east of Bryce. However, there is no corresponding Nikontown. Too bad for them, huh? Now, there is a NikeTown store in Vegas, but that doesn't count. :nah
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 17, 2006
    ...the nearest one to us is Chicago for the factory.... Bob.

ear.gif You talking about Eli's Cheesecake? thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 17, 2006
    okay, i'm done hijacking this thread with my mad KC BBQ raves.:D
    Daniel Bauer

edited January 17, 2006
    edited January 17, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Bob,

15524779-Ti.gif with Andy. Its a win-win proposition. My D2X arrives tomorrow so I don't have any hands on experience with it yet. I have a friend who shoots with the D2X and he loves it for wildlife and landscape shots. He also earns $ doing portraits and inside low light shots. he is seriously considering getting a 5D for that work because of the low noise levels of the 5D. The D2X's major weakness is its noise levels at higher ISOs.

Thats not a problem for me because I shoot usually between ISO 200-500 for my wildlife shots. If I was doing mostly low light high ISO shots I would probably switch to Canon or look at the Nikon D200. If I had a major investment in Canon glass I would stay with Canon.
    Thank you for your input, I will now ponder on what to do because along with the camera we are putting another $9,000 into more lenses.
    edited January 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Pancakes? lol3.gif

Sid, you need to get out more lol3.gif

http://jackstackbbq.com/default.asp?sid=GOOGLE&eid=GL0013

PKLP0412.jpg
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    get canon... thumb.gif
    edited January 17, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    get canon... thumb.gif

I think they have ointments available if you get canon. Terrible affliction.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Here's a flaw: you can't be in business with only ONE camera - you need to be thinking of TWO cameras. So, a 5D and 20D combo. Or a D2X/D200 and a D50 combo.

Cameras break. Clients won't wait.

I agree with Andy - I can't imagine trying to shoot professionally with only one body. I think you need at LEAST two bodies, and three is better if you can swing it. One body wide zoom, one body normal prime, and one long zoom - ya just can't beat redundancy.thumb.gif ( I used two bodies to shoot my niece's wedding, and I don't think I could have done it with just one body )

Canon or Nikon - whichever, but I would not go into the photography business where, if one camera body goes down, I'm out of business.

And if there are two shooters ( you and your wife ) then you definitely need more than one body, for sure.thumb.gif

How about a 1DsMkll in lieu of the Hasselblad???:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I think they have ointments available if you get canon. Terrible affliction.

This coming from the man that just said he would [post=230681]switch to Canon[/post]. Isn't that against the Nikon code of Ethics they have you sign when you buy your first Nikon?

I would say look at examples of work done with both camera systems. Also go to a camera shop, pick up and hold in your hands each and figure out which one feels right to both of you.

So how about all you Dgrinners out there with 5D's and D2X's post picks or links to some galleries of your own so we can see a comparison. I know there aren't too many Dgrinners with a D2X so maybe check out NikonCafe for some good Nikon shots. If you post picks please post Exif and the lens used so we can compare apples to apples. Hope this helps.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Sorry to go off topic, but if you are looking at spending 15 large (6 for the body and 9 for the glass), why don't you go ahead and get a used Hasselblad with a used digital back now?

After all, this is going to be the primary capital that your capital investment in the biz produces, and besides, you can write it off.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Bob, in all honesty it just comes down to whichever camera jives best with your own personal habits, your mental patterns and the way you think.

If you are considering getting many thousands of dollars into a system, then seriously, the best thing you can do is to go down to your local shop, and rent a Nikon, a Canon, or whichever camera catches your eye, for a weekend. Take them out, shoot with them equally. Maybe rent them for a whole week, maybe rent them a few weekends in a row, but this is the BEST way to decide which camera to buy. All the internet advice in the world is no help if you don't hold the camera first. Sure, the different users here can offer bits of advice concerning specific, minor things to watch out for. In my case I am addicted to Nikon's joypad, especially for AF point selection, no matter how sweet Canon's thumbwheel is. But, Canon's thumbwheel IS sweet, and many are addicted to IT instead.

But like I said, the best thing to do is to do some serious time with all the models you're thinking of buying. It will be worth the money.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited January 17, 2006
    Bob, in all honesty it just comes down to whichever camera jives best with your own personal habits, your mental patterns and the way you think.

If you are considering getting many thousands of dollars into a system, then seriously, the best thing you can do is to go down to your local shop, and rent a Nikon, a Canon, or whichever camera catches your eye, for a weekend. Take them out, shoot with them equally. Maybe rent them for a whole week, maybe rent them a few weekends in a row, but this is the BEST way to decide which camera to buy. All the internet advice in the world is no help if you don't hold the camera first. Sure, the different users here can offer bits of advice concerning specific, minor things to watch out for. In my case I am addicted to Nikon's joypad, especially for AF point selection, no matter how sweet Canon's thumbwheel is. But, Canon's thumbwheel IS sweet, and many are addicted to IT instead.

But like I said, the best thing to do is to do some serious time with all the models you're thinking of buying. It will be worth the money.

-Matt-

All kidding aside (and YES folks, there's some FUN canon is better TO BE had around here... Great post, Matthew!
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Don't know Harry -- but Andy shooting ANYTHING does not mean anything about what I'd get from that equipment. What Andy got out of his Sony F828 blows away what I get with my Canon 20D.

It's foolish to make one's decision on gear based on the great photos someone else gets with it. I don't know how many times someone sees a great shot taken from a certain lens and then people say "I gotta get me that lens".

I've seen shots with the kit lens that are awesome....doesn't mean it's a "great lens".

Nikon and Canon leap frog each other. Nikon was first out with serious digital -- then Canon took the lead for awhile. Now I'd say there's pretty much parity.

The D200 _may_ be better than the 20D -- but it's much more expensive. The 5D is "full frame" -- the D2X is a "pro body".

I am curious as to why you are comparing the D2X vs. the 5D. The D2X is Nikon's top of the line pro body. I would think one of the two Canon 1D models would be the cameras to choose from. The 1DMkII for the speed and for less money (and less crop) than the D2X, or the 1DsMkII is you want full frame and have the money to spend.

If the Nikon's "high speed crop" mode has your fancy....then pick up the 5D and the 20D Canon's for about the same price combined. The 20D for "reach", the 5D for full frame.

If you have good Canon glass, there's little reason to switch.....the same would be true if you had a huge investment in Nikon glass.

Ergonomics? It won't mean a hill of beans what Andy thinks about how this or that camera feels in his hands, or how intuitive he thinks the controls are. You have to decide by holding the cameras in YOUR hands.

The better way to go about this is to figure out "what do I shoot and what are the important camera features that support what I shoot". Then go about selecting a camera system based on your needs.

If you are mostly an "available light" shooter, then it won't matter to you if Nikon's flash system is superior. If you shoot flash all the time, then you might (and I say might) go with Nikon's.

If you shoot wide a lot, or print very large, then a full frame sensor with lots of megapixels may be more important to you. As might the availability of tilt shift lenses.

If you are a birder, the crop mode cameras might be extra appealing as they make those long expensive lenses "reach" further.

I swear, Andy can outshoot me with a disposable film camera -- so I'm not too concerned about his choices -- not just because they are his choices.

Lee
    edited January 17, 2006

-Matt-

Ahhh!!! The voice of reason. Excellent suggestion Matt.
    I would follow your advice. canon sucks. Nikon rules. Its good to see we can discuss it w/o partianship.
    Harry
    edited January 17, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Ahhh!!! The voice of reason. Excellent suggestion Matt.
    I would follow your advice. canon sucks. Nikon rules. Its good to see we can discuss it w/o partianship.

How Right You Are, Old Man