edited February 26, 2018 in Cameras

Official Canon USA page

24.1 megapixels, APS-C CMOS Sensor
Stills ISOs: ISO 100-25600, H: 51200
Video ISOs: 4K: ISO 100–6400, H: 6400
Full HD, HD: ISO 100–12800,
H: 25600
Image Processor: Digic 8
Video Recording Sizes: 3840 x 2160 (4K): 24p (23.98)
1920 x 1080 (Full HD):
60p (59.94), 30p (29.97),
24p (23.98)
1280 x 720 (HD): 120p (119.9),
60p (59.94)
Autofocus: Dual-Pixel AF, (1-point AF, Face+Tracking priority AF, Smooth Zone AF, Contrast AF (4K videos))
AF Points: 143/99 points (Switches automatically depending on the lens type.)
Continuous Shooting Speeds: One-Shot AF (all lenses):
Max. approx. 10.0 fps
Servo AF: Max. approx. 7.4 fps
Both Touch-Panel LCD and Integrated Viewfinder

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 20,359Super Moderators moderator

Video reviews

Canon EOS M50 - 4K Mirrorless APS-C Camera! - Kai W

Introducing the EOS M50 Digital Camera - Canon USA

Official Canon EOS M50 Digital Camera Introduction - Canon USA

Canon EOS M50 review - first looks - Gordon Laing

ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Posts: 813Registered Users Major grins
    edited March 24, 2018

still waiting for the Canon full frame mirrorless
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• MaleenJohanMaleenJohan Los AngelesPosts: 1Registered Users Beginner grinner
    Interesting
  • venkatmangudivenkatmangudi IndiaPosts: 15Registered Users Big grins
    I used the EOS M1 when it was first released. Lack of a viewfinder and the shutterlag killed the experience for me. Move to Olympus bodies and haven't looked back. BTW, I moved to the EOM M1 from the EOS 20D. :-)

Regards,

Venkat

My portfolios at Flickr and Smugmug

• Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Posts: 813Registered Users Major grins

@venkatmangudi said:
    I used the EOS M1 when it was first released. Lack of a viewfinder and the shutterlag killed the experience for me. Move to Olympus bodies and haven't looked back. BTW, I moved to the EOM M1 from the EOS 20D. :-)

the newer M models are much better

• SilSil ItalyPosts: 39Registered Users Big grins
    i love M series !!!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiPosts: 741Registered Users Major grins

I looked at the Canon M series before purchasing a Sony A7R III. Definitely glad about my choice, given that the battery is almost 3 times better (650shot rating), 4k can be shot without cropping, and it shoots 4k @ 30p & 24p (Canon only 24p), and 1080p @ 120fps (Canon only 720p @ 120fps). Add to it the 14.8 stop DR and exceptional low-light performance, and Canon is clearly behind the tech curve. Plus I like having the FF sensor, with the ability to shoot in crop mode when desired.

• kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,317Administrators moderator

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    I looked at the Canon M series before purchasing a Sony A7R III. Definitely glad about my choice, given that the battery is almost 3 times better (650shot rating), 4k can be shot without cropping, and it shoots 4k @ 30p & 24p (Canon only 24p), and 1080p @ 120fps (Canon only 720p @ 120fps). Add to it the 14.8 stop DR and exceptional low-light performance, and Canon is clearly behind the tech curve. Plus I like having the FF sensor, with the ability to shoot in crop mode when desired.

You're comparing a $600 body to a $3,000 body, I should hope it's a little better.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiPosts: 741Registered Users Major grins

@kdog said:

@JonaBeth Russell said:

You're comparing a $600 body to a $3,000 body, I should hope it's a little better.

Well, that's certainly a valid point. I guess I was generally speaking more toward Canon's being a bit behind in the mirrorless game overall, and my criticism comes from unprocessed bummed-ness that I had to leave Canon for the Sony...even though I love the Sony. Sentimental things and whatnot.

• kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,317Administrators moderator

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Well, that's certainly a valid point. I guess I was generally speaking more toward Canon's being a bit behind in the mirrorless game overall, and my criticism comes from unprocessed bummed-ness that I had to leave Canon for the Sony...even though I love the Sony. Sentimental things and whatnot.

Yes, I agree completely. I have a rather large collection of Canon gear that I use in my business including tons of great lenses. However, I recently decided to put together a mirrorless kit for backpacking and other lightweight travel and went with Sony. Actually, I went with the A6500 so that I can use crop lenses and keep things really small. I have four lenses that are Sony specific now (Sony, Zeiss, and Rokinon). Those and the body fit into one small sling-bag that's so small it wouldn't even hold one Canon DSLR and mid-range zoom. Amazing. I will be putting it through its paces in an upcoming trip to Japan and looking forward to that.

But yes, Canon has really dropped the ball on mirrorless. Rumor has it that they're soon to announce a full-frame mirrorless. Hopefully they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat and produce something competitive. If not, I may eventually phase over to Sony completely.

edited July 22, 2018

@kdog said:

@JonaBeth Russell said:

Yes, I agree completely. I have a rather large collection of Canon gear that I use in my business including tons of great lenses. However, I recently decided to put together a mirrorless kit for backpacking and other lightweight travel and went with Sony. Actually, I went with the A6500 so that I can use crop lenses and keep things really small. I have four lenses that are Sony specific now (Sony, Zeiss, and Rokinon). Those and the body fit into one small sling-bag that's so small it wouldn't even hold one Canon DSLR and mid-range zoom. Amazing. I will be putting it through its paces in an upcoming trip to Japan and looking forward to that.
    But yes, Canon has really dropped the ball on mirrorless. Rumor has it that they're soon to announce a full-frame mirrorless. Hopefully they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat and produce something competitive. If not, I may eventually phase over to Sony completely.

wow, I picked up the ball ! .......... (at least it isn't as bad as Nikon )

https://flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/36721477642/

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 20,359Super Moderators moderator
    edited July 22, 2018

.> @Brett1000 said:

I gather that image is from a Canon M5.

Are you planning on getting an M50? Waiting to see what's next in Canon mirrorless? Pretty happy and staying with what you have?

ziggy53

@Brett1000 said:
    wow, I picked up the ball ! .......... (at least it isn't as bad as Nikon )

Great shot!!

edited July 26, 2018

@ziggy53 said:
    .> @Brett1000 said:

I gather that image is from a Canon M5.

Are you planning on getting an M50? Waiting to see what's next in Canon mirrorless? Pretty happy and staying with what you have?

the Canon M50 is similar to the older M5 with a few more features like 4K video. I'll stick with the older model until at some point Canon has a full frame mirrorless
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

@Brett1000 said:

the Canon M50 is similar to the older M5 with a few more features like 4K video. I'll stick with the older model until at some point Canon has a full frame mirrorless
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I think that I would greatly appreciate the viewfinder of the M5, over the 4k video on the M50.

ziggy53