Canon EOS M50, mirrorless

ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovinSuper Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator
edited February 26, 2018 in Cameras

Official Canon USA page

24.1 megapixels, APS-C CMOS Sensor
Stills ISOs: ISO 100-25600, H: 51200
Video ISOs: 4K: ISO 100–6400, H: 6400
Full HD, HD: ISO 100–12800,
H: 25600
Image Processor: Digic 8
Video Recording Sizes: 3840 x 2160 (4K): 24p (23.98)
1920 x 1080 (Full HD):
60p (59.94), 30p (29.97),
24p (23.98)
1280 x 720 (HD): 120p (119.9),
60p (59.94)
Autofocus: Dual-Pixel AF, (1-point AF, Face+Tracking priority AF, Smooth Zone AF, Contrast AF (4K videos))
AF Points: 143/99 points (Switches automatically depending on the lens type.)
Continuous Shooting Speeds: One-Shot AF (all lenses):
Max. approx. 10.0 fps
Servo AF: Max. approx. 7.4 fps
Both Touch-Panel LCD and Integrated Viewfinder

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    Video reviews

    Canon EOS M50 - 4K Mirrorless APS-C Camera! - Kai W

    Introducing the EOS M50 Digital Camera - Canon USA

    Official Canon EOS M50 Digital Camera Introduction - Canon USA

    Canon EOS M50 review - first looks - Gordon Laing

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2018

    still waiting for the Canon full frame mirrorless
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

  • MaleenJohanMaleenJohan Los AngelesRegistered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Interesting
  • venkatmangudivenkatmangudi IndiaRegistered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    I used the EOS M1 when it was first released. Lack of a viewfinder and the shutterlag killed the experience for me. Move to Olympus bodies and haven't looked back. BTW, I moved to the EOM M1 from the EOS 20D. :-)

    Regards,

    Venkat

    My portfolios at Flickr and Smugmug

  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

    @venkatmangudi said:
    I used the EOS M1 when it was first released. Lack of a viewfinder and the shutterlag killed the experience for me. Move to Olympus bodies and haven't looked back. BTW, I moved to the EOM M1 from the EOS 20D. :-)

    the newer M models are much better
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

  • SilSil ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    i love M series !!!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 1,032 Major grins

    I looked at the Canon M series before purchasing a Sony A7R III. Definitely glad about my choice, given that the battery is almost 3 times better (650shot rating), 4k can be shot without cropping, and it shoots 4k @ 30p & 24p (Canon only 24p), and 1080p @ 120fps (Canon only 720p @ 120fps). Add to it the 14.8 stop DR and exceptional low-light performance, and Canon is clearly behind the tech curve. Plus I like having the FF sensor, with the ability to shoot in crop mode when desired.

  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,635 moderator

    @JonaBeth Russell said:
    I looked at the Canon M series before purchasing a Sony A7R III. Definitely glad about my choice, given that the battery is almost 3 times better (650shot rating), 4k can be shot without cropping, and it shoots 4k @ 30p & 24p (Canon only 24p), and 1080p @ 120fps (Canon only 720p @ 120fps). Add to it the 14.8 stop DR and exceptional low-light performance, and Canon is clearly behind the tech curve. Plus I like having the FF sensor, with the ability to shoot in crop mode when desired.

    You're comparing a $600 body to a $3,000 body, I should hope it's a little better.

  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 1,032 Major grins

    @kdog said:

    @JonaBeth Russell said:
    I looked at the Canon M series before purchasing a Sony A7R III. Definitely glad about my choice, given that the battery is almost 3 times better (650shot rating), 4k can be shot without cropping, and it shoots 4k @ 30p & 24p (Canon only 24p), and 1080p @ 120fps (Canon only 720p @ 120fps). Add to it the 14.8 stop DR and exceptional low-light performance, and Canon is clearly behind the tech curve. Plus I like having the FF sensor, with the ability to shoot in crop mode when desired.

    You're comparing a $600 body to a $3,000 body, I should hope it's a little better.

    Well, that's certainly a valid point. I guess I was generally speaking more toward Canon's being a bit behind in the mirrorless game overall, and my criticism comes from unprocessed bummed-ness that I had to leave Canon for the Sony...even though I love the Sony. Sentimental things and whatnot.

  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,635 moderator

    @JonaBeth Russell said:
    Well, that's certainly a valid point. I guess I was generally speaking more toward Canon's being a bit behind in the mirrorless game overall, and my criticism comes from unprocessed bummed-ness that I had to leave Canon for the Sony...even though I love the Sony. Sentimental things and whatnot.

    Yes, I agree completely. I have a rather large collection of Canon gear that I use in my business including tons of great lenses. However, I recently decided to put together a mirrorless kit for backpacking and other lightweight travel and went with Sony. Actually, I went with the A6500 so that I can use crop lenses and keep things really small. I have four lenses that are Sony specific now (Sony, Zeiss, and Rokinon). Those and the body fit into one small sling-bag that's so small it wouldn't even hold one Canon DSLR and mid-range zoom. Amazing. I will be putting it through its paces in an upcoming trip to Japan and looking forward to that.

    But yes, Canon has really dropped the ball on mirrorless. Rumor has it that they're soon to announce a full-frame mirrorless. Hopefully they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat and produce something competitive. If not, I may eventually phase over to Sony completely.

  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2018

    @kdog said:

    @JonaBeth Russell said:
    Well, that's certainly a valid point. I guess I was generally speaking more toward Canon's being a bit behind in the mirrorless game overall, and my criticism comes from unprocessed bummed-ness that I had to leave Canon for the Sony...even though I love the Sony. Sentimental things and whatnot.

    Yes, I agree completely. I have a rather large collection of Canon gear that I use in my business including tons of great lenses. However, I recently decided to put together a mirrorless kit for backpacking and other lightweight travel and went with Sony. Actually, I went with the A6500 so that I can use crop lenses and keep things really small. I have four lenses that are Sony specific now (Sony, Zeiss, and Rokinon). Those and the body fit into one small sling-bag that's so small it wouldn't even hold one Canon DSLR and mid-range zoom. Amazing. I will be putting it through its paces in an upcoming trip to Japan and looking forward to that.
    But yes, Canon has really dropped the ball on mirrorless. Rumor has it that they're soon to announce a full-frame mirrorless. Hopefully they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat and produce something competitive. If not, I may eventually phase over to Sony completely.

    wow, I picked up the ball ! .......... (at least it isn't as bad as Nikon )

    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

    https://flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/36721477642/

  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator
    edited July 22, 2018

    .> @Brett1000 said:

    I gather that image is from a Canon M5.

    Are you planning on getting an M50? Waiting to see what's next in Canon mirrorless? Pretty happy and staying with what you have?

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,635 moderator

    @Brett1000 said:
    wow, I picked up the ball ! .......... (at least it isn't as bad as Nikon )

    Great shot!!

  • Brett1000Brett1000 Major grins https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoscw/Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2018

    @ziggy53 said:
    .> @Brett1000 said:

    I gather that image is from a Canon M5.

    Are you planning on getting an M50? Waiting to see what's next in Canon mirrorless? Pretty happy and staying with what you have?

    the Canon M50 is similar to the older M5 with a few more features like 4K video. I'll stick with the older model until at some point Canon has a full frame mirrorless
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    @Brett1000 said:

    the Canon M50 is similar to the older M5 with a few more features like 4K video. I'll stick with the older model until at some point Canon has a full frame mirrorless
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

    I think that I would greatly appreciate the viewfinder of the M5, over the 4k video on the M50.

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    Late to this party but I finally purchased a Canon EOS M50, my first Canon mirrorless. (I also have a small Sony APS-C mirrorless system.)

    At $359.99USD for the M50 (refurbished) plus kit lens (EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM), it's very affordable.

    I also purchased the EF-EOS M Mount Adapter (refurbished) and I'm awfully happy I did. That lets me use:

    • Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Nano), a really excellent "kit" lens for the M50.
    • Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, a super-wide zoom for stills and full-HD video plus a wide zoom for 4k. Balances nicely on an older Zhiyun Crane (not sure which model).
    • Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, a great standard/normal zoom for Canon APS-C.
    • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, cheap and lightweight, but consistently pleasing images used properly.

    So far, a very pleasing camera in good light. Not bad in low-light but spoiled by the 5D Mark IV low-light performance.
    Using Technicolor CineStyle I get good results in fairly high-contrast video scenes. Mixes well with my other Canon video dSLRs also using Technicolor CineStyle. Adding a custom 3D LUT in DaVinci Resolve gets me back quickly to Rec 709\BT.709 standards.

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaSuper Moderators Posts: 14,586 moderator

    I followed your line of thinking Ziggy, and picked up a Canon M6 Mk II 32.5 Mpxls. dual pixel AF and 30fps. With an adapter it will take all Canon EF-S and EF lenses and it is smaller than a Canon PowerShot GX3 - I checked.

    It is not a 7D Mk II, but it is very close and a lot smaller and lighter, with a bigger file. The little cigarette lighter sized electronic viewfinder works very nicely too. Basically this is a 90D's sensor in a smaller, mirrorless body. The battery is small and it's not weather sealed, but it is easy to stick in a plastic bag, it is so small.

    Now I am still waiting to see an R5 in the wild. The pandemic has slowed down the delivery of the 1DX Mk III too - it was supposed to be available in early April at the latest. But I want to see the R5 first now. I do like the R, for landscapes and people, but not for wildlife.

    I still really like an optical viewfinders fast response. Call me old fashioned.

    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

    Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaSuper Moderators Posts: 14,586 moderator
    edited May 5, 2020

    Here is an image of a house finch I shot at ISO 5000, and this image is a crop of about 1/4 or so of the sensor - edited in LightRoom from an M6 Mk II ( 2631 x 3946 10.4 Mpxl out of 4640x 6960 32.3 Mpxl ) - just to show what can be expected of APS-C crop sensors these days. I really would like to see Canon develop a serious professional replacement for the 7D Mk II with first class dual pixel AF, and good weather proofing, with a rotating LCD like the 90D and fast frame rates like the M6 Mk II. I could live with this sensor I think. What do the readers here think?

    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

    Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • CW100CW100 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    > @pathfinder said:
    > Here is an image of a house finch I shot at ISO 5000, and this image is a crop of about 1/4 or so of the sensor - edited in LightRoom from an M6 Mk II ( 2631 x 3946 10.4 Mpxl out of 4640x 6960 32.3 Mpxl ) - just to show what can be expected of APS-C crop sensors these days. I really would like to see Canon develop a serious professional replacement for the 7D Mk II with first class dual pixel AF, and good weather proofing, with a rotating LCD like the 90D and fast frame rates like the M6 Mk II. I could live with this sensor I think. What do the readers here think?
    >
    > (Image)

    looks good
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    I just purchased a second refurbished Canon EOS M50 to act as both a backup body and to allow a second option body/lens as needed.

    For instance,

    • Op/Tech Dual Harness with
    • an M50 with a standard zoom lens (Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM plus lens/body adapter in this case),
    • ...and the second M50 with a tele-zoom (EF 70–200mm f/4L IS USM on a speed-booster).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Las Cruces, NM Las Cruces, NMRegistered Users Posts: 1,922 Major grins

    I used this camera for hiking for a long time. LIght and portable. I recently went to a super-zoom.

  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Adventurer, Photographer Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins

    A quick question for all you M50 users. I have an M50 and have no problem connecting the Wi-Fi. However, I really need the geotagging feature and it seems that location data cannot be sent from the Canon Connect app to the camera.

    So, I should use the Bluetooth connection, right? But when ever I turn off the camera the Bluetooth connection is broken and I must repair the camera to my android every time.

    I don't have this problem with my Nikons or Fuji cameras.

    Any one else have this problem and knows how to fix it? It really seems illogical that you would have to go through the entire repairing process every time you turn the camera off or change batteries.

    Any insight would be appreciated.

  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    Sorry, I don't use geotagging with any of my cameras, many of which don't have (and some which can never have) geotagging as an option.

    I did locate a couple threads on DPReview which may have relevant information. One thing seems pretty clear; that all smartphones are not equal in their ability to work with the Canon apps. I.e. your success may depend partly upon which phone(s) you own.

    M50 Bluetooth connection problem
    Bluetooth pairing of M50 to an android cellphone

    ===================================================

    As I mentioned previously, I don't currently use geotagging. I do intend to start solo camping again soon and I may wish to add geotags to some of the images. In that case my cell phone will come in handy, and I'll just take a snapshot of the same scene with the phone and geotagging enabled. That way I can merge the phone snaps with the camera images and, as long as the date and time base is the same between devices, later sort the merged images by date and time, copying geotagging data from the phone snaps into the EXIF metadata of the similar camera images. (That method works even with scanned film images and working from time logs.)

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 22,211 moderator

    From a DPReview article on the M50:
    https://dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50/9

    "The EOS M50 has excellent wireless capabilities. You can pair devices using NFC, Bluetooth or the 'old fashioned way'. Bluetooth keeps the two devices connected, even when the camera is turned off."

    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • willard3willard3 Jefe Máximo Registered Users Posts: 2,397 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2021

    I am a devotee of the Canon M series cameras and have the EOS M, EOS M3, EOS M6 and EOS M6 Mark 2. I never purchased the M5 and instead purchased the EVF-DC! viewfinder which is way more useful than the viewfinder on the M5 and can be used on the M6 cameras.

    The mark 2 has tha advantage that is small, compact and the ergonomics are good. I can set shutter speed, aperture and iso with one hand if I don't have on a long tele. A one hand camera is a benefit when things are happening in a hurry. Another strong benefit is the silent shutter as I do some artsy fotos where shutter noise is a no no.

    The large sensor is also a distinct advantage.

    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Adventurer, Photographer Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins

    @ziggy53 said:
    From a DPReview article on the M50:
    https://dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50/9

    "The EOS M50 has excellent wireless capabilities. You can pair devices using NFC, Bluetooth or the 'old fashioned way'. Bluetooth keeps the two devices connected, even when the camera is turned off."

    It appears the problem is with Android 11 and not the camera itself.

Sign In or Register to comment.