Upcoming Lightbox Changes

1235»

Comments

• ShinryaShinrya Peter Stewart Hong KongPosts: 124Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 27, 2018

Your images appear perfectly tack sharp to me in the lightbox. Viewing in Chrome on a retina screen.

With my own testing, I found that whatever Smugmug is doing with the display copies, it's doing a bad job. On my screen, anything X3 or under looks very fuzzy, so I've regrettably had to set my display copy to a size slightly larger than I'm comfortable with (iPad Retina X4), in order to get sharp copies when the browser scales the image to fill the screen. I too tried fiddling with code to get the smaller sizes to appear sharper, but it caused the jagged edges and other problems depending on the browser and resolution used.

I'm honestly no expert with any of this, but feel this really shouldn't be something we should have to deal with. Every other photo service be it Flickr, 500px, Squarespace, Behance, Format etc that are designed to work with high resolution images, they all provide fantastic pixel perfect scaling on any screen.

• leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,343Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee

I think we're going to undo the image-rendering changes that are causing the jagged edges. It's improved the sharpness on some photos but it's feeling like overall it's creating worse images.

Do you have a couple examples where the old Lightbox looked soft? Even better, do you have a few examples where you've also put the photos on other services so we can compare?
    (FWIW, I've looked at Flickr, and 500px and they do the exact same thing we do: load a larger image and resize it down using CSS. So I'd like to see if there's something about the display copy that's different)

SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaPosts: 454Registered Users Major grins

@leftquark said:
    I think we're going to undo the image-rendering changes that are causing the jagged edges. It's improved the sharpness on some photos but it's feeling like overall it's creating worse images.

I certainly agree. But moving on, is there some other way you plan to address the sharpness loss when moving from display copies to fills?

(I can, of course, re-introduce crisp image rendering locally via custom CSS. That comes with a downside. I then need to review the site image-by-image and insert special code to turn it off on the 2 to 10% of images where it does damage.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,343Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team SmugMug Employee

@Shinrya said:
    Every other photo service be it Flickr, 500px, Squarespace, Behance, Format etc that are designed to work with high resolution images, they all provide fantastic pixel perfect scaling on any screen.

If you can show us the same image on the various platforms, we can keep investigating, but so far, I don't see any of them doing anything special. They just display a display copy and let the browser handle it. Most photos look amazing in the SmugMug lightbox, so I'd like to compare the ones that don't to the other services and see if we can understand better.

SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • ShinryaShinrya Peter Stewart Hong KongPosts: 124Registered Users Major grins
    edited December 2, 2018

These were my findings, from viewing the various sizes on my screen (Retina 15" Macbook Pro) in Chrome. Also tested in Windows 10.

• Setting my display copies to anything lower than X3, resulted in noticeably fuzzier images when viewed in the Lightbox, either at their native size, or set to 'fill'.
    • With display copy set to X3, there was a minimal difference in sharpness between X3 and X4 when both are set to 'fill' the screen. I assume this is the browser doing the scaling??

To rule out the possibility this being an issue with retina screen scaling, I also viewed the lightbox with my screen resolution set to its native "2880x1800", which removes the pixel doubling. Again I noticed that X4 viewed at 100% looked pretty sharp, then moving down to X3 and smaller, the image took a dive in sharpness when viewed natively 100%.

That being said, I have viewed my lightbox on another PC with a standard LCD monitor, and honestly couldn't tell any difference in sharpness between the sizes. So perhaps this is just a thing with browser scaling and retina type displays.

@leftquark I took your suggestion and compared a few images against their counterparts uploaded on Flickr & 500px. I will concede that there is in-fact no difference in sharpness between there and smugmug lightbox. The only exception is if lightbox images are set to X2 or lower size, then they are definitely displaying fuzzy on my screen regardless whether viewed 100% or set to 'fill'.

1235»