Domain name renewal

SuzPhotosSuzPhotos Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins

Long after our domain name was due to expire (spiritvisionphotography.com) I received a notice that that domain name will expire on September 5. That has been a week ago. This domain name is associated with our SmugMug account. When I log into our site with that domain name it still works. Do I need to renew it? Or is that part of the SmugMug package?

Tagged:

Comments

• OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins

I see that you purchased your domain through SmugDomains Powered by GoDaddy. Yes you would need to renew your domain separately, even if you purchased it through SmugDomains powered by GoDaddy. Note you must go to SmugDomains powered by GoDaddy, not directly to GoDaddy itself (or Wild West Domains which apparently is a GoDaddy reseller and is the registrar showing on our accounts now), they won't have your account info. There should be a link in the renewal e-mail (if it's legitimate), but there is also a link on this page if you need it https://smugdomains.smugmug.com/ (see GoDaddy Connect at the bottom).

Who sent you the email? Curious because a whois search on your domain shows that it doesn't expire until February 14 2020 so if it came from anyone other than SmugDomains I would be skeptical. Either way, I would log in to your account at the above and make sure everything is okay before doing anything. Might be a scammer trying to get you to pay, so I would be careful even with any links sent in the e-mail. Don't do anything without first verifying at the link above.

• annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee

While we don't have access to your domain host and setup (and it is also a separate subscription and charge from your SmugMug subscription), public records show that your domain won't expire until February 2020:
    https://www.whois.com/whois/spiritvisionphotography.com

Your SmugMug account is also paid and the next renewal date isn't until February. You might want to reply to the email you received from your domain host and ask for more details.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Bumped into this thread because I received two emails in the last 24 hours.

One is from SmugMug domains powered by GoDaddy and shows that my domain is active through next August.

Then I got another email saying: "This notification is to let you know that some or all of the products you purchased from SmugDomains powered by GoDaddy will now be managed through Domains Priced Right®. " Is this second email from a scammer? Thanks, G.

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins

@sapphire73 said:
    Then I got another email saying: "This notification is to let you know that some or all of the products you purchased from SmugDomains powered by GoDaddy will now be managed through Domains Priced Right®. " Is this second email from a scammer? Thanks, G.

FYI:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/264187/registrar-notice

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

@kygarden, thank you very much!

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins

@sapphire73 said:
    @kygarden, thank you very much!

You're welcome :)