Classy Rides

black mambablack mamba Major grinsJacksonville, FLPosts: 6,622Registered Users Major grins
edited September 30, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Prior to WW II, the French produced some of the most beautiful cars ever made. This 1937 Talbot-Lago T 150 SS ranks up with the best of them.

1)

2)

3)

This beauty is a 1941 Packard 180. A Hollywood-based auto designer and fabricator, Howard Darrin, made a name for himself by taking stock vehicles and creating special cars for the wealthy and elite. This is one of the 50 Packards he modified in this configuration and it was called a Victoria. Clark Gable was a big fan of Packards and he bought one of the first Victoria productions. He owned the car for less than a month. He could not drive the car anywhere without being mobbed by fans grabbing at him. Clark was a consummate mechanic himself and he thought that the Darrin Victoria was not up to his quality expectations as far as the conversion work was considered. In his brief ownership period, he had one of the doors fly open during aggressive cornering.

4)

5)

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

Comments

  • toragstorags Major grins Posts: 4,356Registered Users Major grins
    edited September 30, 2019

    Hmmm... Now I know where Jaguar got the idea for my old 52 Jag 120 Roadster...

    Nice hardware...

    https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/0712-La-Strada/n-R9DFL/i-bS32Vwt/0/d07149d8/O/i-bS32Vwt.jpg

    Rags
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 2,310Registered Users Major grins

    Love that Talbot, Tom!

    @torags Hi Rags, your link doesn't work!

  • toragstorags Major grins Posts: 4,356Registered Users Major grins

    I put a new link there... hope it works...

    Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6,622Registered Users Major grins

    @torags said:
    Hmmm... Now I know where Jaguar got the idea for my old 52 Jag 120 Roadster...

    Nice hardware...

    https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/0712-La-Strada/n-R9DFL/i-bS32Vwt/0/d07149d8/O/i-bS32Vwt.jpg

    Hey, Rags. I've always loved that Jag series....120, 140, 150. In college, one of my fraternity brothers had a beautiful white 150. At the time, I was running a '57 Chevy. When my buddy had some nighttime activity planned that would benefit from a car with an accommodating rear seat, we would switch vehicles for the night. I spent a fair amount of time enjoying the Jag.

    If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6,622Registered Users Major grins

    @sarasphotos said:
    Love that Talbot, Tom!

    @torags Hi Rags, your link doesn't work!

    I would have guessed, Sara, that the Talbot is right down your alley. It's right down mine too. It's a real shame that modern dictums preclude design work like these cars have. I've got to admit, though, I'm giving serious thought to snatching one of those new C8 Corvettes. Boy, I love their looks.

    If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 2,310Registered Users Major grins

    @torags said:
    I put a new link there... hope it works...

    Yep - great car!

  • toragstorags Major grins Posts: 4,356Registered Users Major grins

    @black mamba said:

    @torags said:
    Hmmm... Now I know where Jaguar got the idea for my old 52 Jag 120 Roadster...

    Nice hardware...

    https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/0712-La-Strada/n-R9DFL/i-bS32Vwt/0/d07149d8/O/i-bS32Vwt.jpg

    Hey, Rags. I've always loved that Jag series....120, 140, 150. In college, one of my fraternity brothers had a beautiful white 150. At the time, I was running a '57 Chevy. When my buddy had some nighttime activity planned that would benefit from a car with an accommodating rear seat, we would switch vehicles for the night. I spent a fair amount of time enjoying the Jag.

    Hmmm... I didn't have a Chevy; I did what I had to do in the 120 Roadster... I'm glad there are no videos of the activities.... :#

    Rags
  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 7,675Registered Users Major grins

    I love red and grey one a lot! Cheers Tom!

  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6,622Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 14, 2019

    @Stumblebum said:
    I love red and grey one a lot! Cheers Tom!

    I have a vision, Taz. You and I cruzing the hills and dales in that Talbot. Unfortunately, we're probably a couple of million dollars short, buddy. Maybe I'll pray for a more affordable vision.

    If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
Sign In or Register to comment.