New Lightbox Customization - Part 2

rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins

When an image is loaded in the Lightbox, is it possible to designate the 'Photo Details' button to be activated by Default? Ideally, it would be doable on the desktop/laptop as well as mobile versions.

If my site is needed..... https://www.rjwilner.photography/

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I don't see a setting that would activate 'Photo Details" by default.

Here are the available options:

• rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    I don't see a setting that would activate 'Photo Details" by default.

Here are the available options:

Thanks. I had checked there and didn't find such an option.

The question arose because I thought I had remembered seeing some discussion about doing this in the original thread announcing the new lightbox go live back in early Oct(?). Naturally, I couldn't find it again when I went looking for that specific topic. And when I checked out the 'Inspect Element' browser function, I didn't find anything that led me to believe this could be accomplished simply via CSS.

So, was just hopeful I was overlooking something.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I wonder if it was the announcement of the "Commerce Focused Lightbox" feature that you were thinking of:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/265480/new-commerce-focused-lightbox-option-will-help-you-sell-more

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@rjwilner said:
    When an image is loaded in the Lightbox, is it possible to designate the 'Photo Details' button to be activated by Default? Ideally, it would be doable on the desktop/laptop as well as mobile versions.

This one indeed was discussed a bit in the Smugmug Product News forum when the new lightbox was coming out. In the Upcoming Lightbox improvements (2019 edition) thread, Aaron from SmugMug could only offer "... we'll consider this for future improvements." That was on May 24 in response to something I wrote. It think the idea has popped up later too. As you've observed, there's no way for the user set this default now, but I too would love to see SmugMug provide the option.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

@denisegoldberg said:
    I wonder if it was the announcement of the "Commerce Focused Lightbox" feature that you were thinking of:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/265480/new-commerce-focused-lightbox-option-will-help-you-sell-more

Don't think so as I don't have that option available. I suspect the discussion Jtring mentions is what I'd recalled. But thanks for the thought!

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 7, 2019

The Commerce Focused Lightbox setting does something similar ... it causes the Commerce Sidebar to be active when the photos opens. We've been noodling if we should extend that and mold it into a more rich feature to let you select which mode it opens into (no sidebar, commerce, details, sharing, commenting, etc). But right now it's just noodling. We'll see how much SmugMuggers enjoy the Commerce mode and can go from there.

I do love seeing feature requests like this because it does let us know there's some folks who would appreciate if we did more than noodle.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

@leftquark said:

I do love seeing feature requests like this because it does let us know there's some folks who would appreciate if we did more than noodle.

Thanks for the note. However it's accomplished, I would l-o-v-e to see an option that would allow for 'Photo Details' to be activated by default.

One of the objectives I have for my site is for it to be something of a 'journal' of my digital journey in photography...which would sometimes include somewhat wordy captions. Though I'm currently utilizing one of the lightbox customization options your team provided with the go live announcement of the new lightbox back in Sept (early Oct?), it doesn't work terribly well as...1) It doesn't seem to obey formatting (line breaks and/or paragraphs) as written in the caption, and 2) it appears to only allow for 2 lines of the caption to be displayed.

And as a side note...I grow stronger in belief all the time that display options such as this are at least as important, possibly more so, in the mobile environment as they are in the desktop one. There seems to be growing evidence that images are viewed more & more on tablets/phones than they are on the desktop. The SM mobile environment is pretty darn slick as currently configured. An option such as this would turn a nice bowl of ice cream into an absolute sundae for me. :D

• funk_shuifunk_shui Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    I fully second this! would love to be able to open lightbox on photo details. I know it's been a couple years since this thread but it doesn't appear any updates were made to accommodate the request. CSS or otherwise. Fingers still crossed!