Orion Nebula

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grinsMauiRegistered Users Posts: 983 Major grins

Well I've had this mount long enough to get tired of trying with a subpar lens. So, the Canon EF 75-300 has been retired, as I picked up a 100-400mm Sony G Master upgrade!

Tonight is the first time trying the stacking game with deep sky imaging. After this project, I have a whole new respect for the space pic pros. Lotta work, hopefully it's all improvement from here.

Enjoy!

Comments

  • JuanoJuano Major grins ColoradoRegistered Users Posts: 3,937 Major grins

    Oh wow!!!! Superb.

  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 983 Major grins

    @Juano said:
    Oh wow!!!! Superb.

    Thank you [email protected] This was indeed a fun project, and I'm looking forward to more deep sky object imaging to come!

  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Fort Myers, FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 1,326 Major grins

    What support/drive did you use, if you do not mind being asked?

    It's beautiful by the way. And having just gotten a long Sony lens am quite interested. :)

  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandAdministrators Posts: 12,553 moderator
    edited December 27, 2019

    Ah, yes! Much improved, though your last thread and resulting photo was way beyond amateur too. Time to begin posting at a dedicated Astronomy sub forum, methinks; perhaps at POTN where a lot of amateur astronomers hang out. Though,... please don't stop posting these here too! ;)

    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • El GatoEl Gato Global Trekker Registered Users Posts: 572 Major grins

    Very nice!

    Wonderful deep sky image!!

    Ah...you're hooked now.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your images, as you venture deeper into the exciting field of astro-photography.

  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 983 Major grins

    @Ferguson said:
    What support/drive did you use, if you do not mind being asked?

    It's beautiful by the way. And having just gotten a long Sony lens am quite interested. :)

    Thank you! I used the Camrote app on my phone for remote trigger. You can pre-program shutter speeds up into the hours-long range if needed. The lights & darks were shot at 1min intervals. For post processing, I used Astro Pixel Processor. This set included lights, darks, flats & bias frames, all merged & blended in that processor.

    @David_S85 said:
    Ah, yes! Much improved, though your last thread and resulting photo was way beyond amateur too. Time to begin posting at a dedicated Astronomy sub forum, methinks; perhaps at POTN where a lot of amateur astronomers hang out. Though,... please don't stop posting these here too! ;)

    I'll be sure to check out POTN, thank you! And still, I'll post here :)

    @El Gato said:
    Very nice!

    Wonderful deep sky image!!

    Ah...you're hooked now.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your images, as you venture deeper into the exciting field of astro-photography.

    Mahalo, and yes, I'm already scoping out other targets, but first I'll try this one once more, using the 1.4x teleconverter for just a tad bit more reach. 1,400+ lightyears is hella-far!!

  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Fort Myers, FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 1,326 Major grins

    But what do you use as a drive on your camera support, i.e. to track the stars as they move? I'm assuming you must have some sort of polar drive? Or is your lens riding on a telescope?

  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 983 Major grins

    @Ferguson said:
    But what do you use as a drive on your camera support, i.e. to track the stars as they move? I'm assuming you must have some sort of polar drive? Or is your lens riding on a telescope?

    Thanks for clarifying, I see what I was about your earlier question. 👀

    I use a Skywatcher Star Adventurer for tracking. It holds my A7riii + 100-400mm just fine, plenty enough adjustment for total balance.

  • FergusonFerguson Major grins Fort Myers, FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 1,326 Major grins

    Thank you. One could hope you would share a secret how to handhold these, but I guess not. I keep avoiding buying something like this, as when I do I will stop getting sleep. :)

  • willard3willard3 Jefe Máximo Registered Users Posts: 2,035 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2019

    Cool! As well as technically excellent.

    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 983 Major grins

    @willard3 said:
    Cool! As well as technically excellent.

    Thank you!

    @Ferguson said:
    Thank you. One could hope you would share a secret how to handhold these, but I guess not. I keep avoiding buying something like this, as when I do I will stop getting sleep. :)

    Haha, noper...you're just gonna have to go ahead and indulge before you get too old to stay up late. :open_mouth:

  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am San Jose, CARegistered Users Posts: 7,948 Major grins

    Great JBR!

Sign In or Register to comment.