D200 on the way!

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in Cameras
I'm so excited...the Nikon D200 I ordered will be in my hands on Friday (most likely)! It's driving me nuts waiting. Upgrading from the D70...

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I'm so excited...the Nikon D200 I ordered will be in my hands on Friday (most likely)! It's driving me nuts waiting. Upgrading from the D70...

Congrats. You will love that camera.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Way to go, Ky. Should be a thrill!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Congrats! Let's see some pics when you get it!
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    It has arrived :) Problem is, I'm out of town until tomorrow. I won't be able to put my hands on it until maybe 5 or 6 PM tomorrow.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    Unless I'm wrong, these will be the first D200 shots on dgrin by a dgrinner, no?

we await your results with bated breath...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Congrats!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Unless I'm wrong, these will be the first D200 shots on dgrin by a dgrinner, no?

we await your results with bated breath...

I think this was the first D200 pic
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25842
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 26, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I think this was the first D200 pic
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25842
    I totally missed that. Spank me gently.
    Erik

edited January 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I totally missed that. Spank me gently.

You missed this too blbl.gifhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26260
    edited January 26, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    how'd you like your username to read: smarta** ???? naughty.gif
    Erik

edited January 26, 2006
    About another 19 hours left before I get my hands on it! I swear this is driving me crazy. I'm half tempted to check out of the hotel and skip class tomorrow and go straight home right now!...Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif Soon enough though I suppose. My new baby is sitting in the package it was shipped in...next door at the grandparents house. As soon as I pull in the driveway, I'm running straight over there and grabbing it. My D70 auction on ebay ends tomorrow evening too...so that should be interesting to see what it brings (body only). I'll have to tell this instructor to hurry it up tomorrow so I can get on the road. It's about a 2.5 hour drive home.
    edited January 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    how'd you like your username to read: smarta** ???? naughty.gif

Better than dumba** mwink.gif

I get called that a lot. So I have a stock answer. 1drink.gif
    edited January 27, 2006
    Ok, finally home and snapped 2 pictures so far. Nothing special...but this is #2. I love the feel of this camera! More to come as I have time to post...

54077539-L.jpg
    edited January 27, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Ok, finally home and snapped 2 pictures so far.
    Only 2!?! lol3.gif

Go, shoot, have fun!
    Erik

• Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I'm half tempted to check out of the hotel and skip class tomorrow and go straight home right now!...Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif Soon enough though I suppose.

Hi Ky,

The D200 definately feels like nice camera. Nicer than the D70, not that the D70 was shabby. I am still keeping my D70 but the D200 sure is sweet... :D

Congrats on your new toy...

Lee
    edited January 27, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hi Ky,

The D200 definately feels like nice camera. Nicer than the D70, not that the D70 was shabby. I am still keeping my D70 but the D200 sure is sweet... :D

Congrats on your new toy...

Lee

The D70 is surely a nice camera. If it wasn't for me needing the money to help buy the D200, I would have kept it. Only complaint about the D70 was the small LCD screen. Other than that, it's great. Worked very well for me.
    edited January 27, 2006
    The D70 is definately great! I didn't mind the small LCD screen but for me the difference in viewfinders was huge. It makes focusing much easier on the eyes! mwink.gif

Be sure to share some pictures here after you get some "quality" time with your ne friend. :D

Lee
    kygarden wrote:
    The D70 is surely a nice camera. If it wasn't for me needing the money to help buy the D200, I would have kept it. Only complaint about the D70 was the small LCD screen. Other than that, it's great. Worked very well for me.
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Ky,

I am also happy with my D70 but would be blissfull to have the D200 also. My two complaints with D70 are that autofocus seems to wander sometimes and the high noise levels above ASA 400. Would be very interested to hear your feelings about how the D200 performs in those areas.

ENJOY!
    edited January 28, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Ky,

I am also happy with my D70 but would be blissfull to have the D200 also. My two complaints with D70 are that autofocus seems to wander sometimes and the high noise levels above ASA 400. Would be very interested to hear your feelings about how the D200 performs in those areas.

ENJOY!

The autofocus on the D200 is really fast. Faster than the D70. I haven't played with high ISO's much yet, but I can. Maybe I'll take a few test shots later and post them.
    edited January 28, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    The autofocus on the D200 is really fast. Faster than the D70.
    nod.gif Its more like the D2's, good to hear it confirmed though.
    I haven't played with high ISO's much yet, but I can. Maybe I'll take a few test shots later and post them.
    If that is better than the D70 as well, it's definitely a killer camera!
    Erik

edited January 28, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nod.gif Its more like the D2's, good to hear it confirmed though.

If that is better than the D70 as well, it's definitely a killer camera!

True. The autofocus of the D200 is definately faster than the D70.

Having the camera for a week I would say the that the D200 performs slightly better than the D70 at high ISO's. This is just from observation (i.e. nothing scientific).

Thanks,

Lee
    edited January 29, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    True. The autofocus of the D200 is definately faster than the D70.

Having the camera for a week I would say the that the D200 performs slightly better than the D70 at high ISO's. This is just from observation (i.e. nothing scientific).

Thanks,

Lee

Well I could not pass up an eBay auction today. A D200 will be shipped to me tomorrow and should be here Wednesday. Wahoooo!!!

Thanks for the feedback on AF & noise....
    edited January 29, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Well I could not pass up an eBay auction today. A D200 will be shipped to me tomorrow and should be here Wednesday. Wahoooo!!!

Thanks for the feedback on AF & noise....

Have fun! I hope you didn't pay TOO much. I know the ebay auctions can get a little out of hand sometimes for high demand items.

My D70 sold for $585 on there. I was hoping for more, but that's descent I think. Just sold the body without a lens and all the original accessories. If I had the extra cash, I would have keep it for a spare.
    edited January 30, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    Have fun! I hope you didn't pay TOO much. I know the ebay auctions can get a little out of hand sometimes for high demand items.

My D70 sold for $585 on there. I was hoping for more, but that's descent I think. Just sold the body without a lens and all the original accessories. If I had the extra cash, I would have keep it for a spare.

I think I got a good deal. I got the 'almost new' D200 body and two so-so lenses for $2100. For some reason the listing did not attract much interest - there were only 4 or 5 bids! I plan to sell the lenses and hopefully get enuf $ for them to buy one fast glass. I will probably keep the D70 as a backup with wide lens. Wahoo - less changing lenses and maybe less sensor dust. That has been a big problem for me. I need to check another forum for a good cleaning 'solution'. The two I have tried so far (swab / air) are not working for me.
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Local camera store here has 20 or so D200 with the 18-70mm lens for ~$1999
    edited January 30, 2006
    TomaS wrote:

Nice! I think that you will enjoy your new camera. Good luck with the sale of the other lenses so you can get some fast glass. thumb.gif

Lee
    edited January 30, 2006
    Regarding D200 and noise, it's performance seems to be quite good. From a review (that seems objective):

"In its default settings, the D200 performed well beyond expectations in terms of noise suppression -- it produced the third lowest noise scores we have attained behind the Fuji S3 pro and Canon EOS 5D (but not far!) Above is a graph showing the D200’s noise performance at the various sensitivity settings available. As you can see, the chart has a steady, gradual incline, only jumping once it hits its ISO 1250 settings. This is impressive. The camera produced far less noise when NR was increased, but with sacrifices made to detail, color saturation, and color accuracy."

From this review:
    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Nikon-D200-Digital-Camera-Review/Testing--Performance.htm
  • David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    D200
    zigzag wrote:

I am new to this site but look forward to contributing. I just got my D200 yeserday and have not had the opportunity to use it yet. I have been using a Nikon D100 fo the past 3 years. Here is my site for some of the shots I've taken with it.

www.icphoto.net
    David :):
    David L. Stevens
    edited January 31, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Regarding D200 and noise, it's performance seems to be quite good. From a review (that seems objective):

"In its default settings, the D200 performed well beyond expectations in terms of noise suppression -- it produced the third lowest noise scores we have attained behind the Fuji S3 pro and Canon EOS 5D (but not far!) Above is a graph showing the D200’s noise performance at the various sensitivity settings available. As you can see, the chart has a steady, gradual incline, only jumping once it hits its ISO 1250 settings. This is impressive. The camera produced far less noise when NR was increased, but with sacrifices made to detail, color saturation, and color accuracy."

From this review:
    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Nikon-D200-Digital-Camera-Review/Testing--Performance.htm

Hi Zig,

Thanks for the review link. I had not seen that. Now I'm even more excited to get my hands on that D200. Should be here Wednesday.

Maybe all of us new owners should start a thread / forum to help each other get up to speed with our new babys?
    edited January 31, 2006
    Hi David,
    Welcome to Dgrin. clap.gif Congrats on your new purchase! I hope to see more from you. Nice galleries. I particularly liked the lighthouses...
    Thanks,

Lee
    I am new to this site but look forward to contributing. I just got my D200 yeserday and have not had the opportunity to use it yet. I have been using a Nikon D100 fo the past 3 years. Here is my site for some of the shots I've taken with it.

www.icphoto.net
    David :):