Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating Thread

ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovinSuper Moderators Posts: 21,941 moderator

This is a consolidated thread relating to Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating issues, causes, updates, firmware, remediation, etc.

I decided to post this thread in the Video forum simply because most of these issues will occur in Video mode of operation, or some mix of Still and Video operation. I don't see mention of Canon EOS R5 and R6 Overheating in normal circumstances and Still acquisition alone.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 21,941 moderator
    edited August 27, 2020

First, my thoughts about the cameras, mostly the R5, and their design and intent.

The Canon EOS R5 in particular is a professional, Stills and Video acquisition device, but not intended to be a general purpose or long-format video device.
    This is not a first recommendation for wedding or performance art videography, and Canon has never indicated it as such. Canon did not fully explain the intent of the camera during either the "teaser" advertisements or the official initial introduction of the camera, and that lead to speculation and misunderstanding of the qualities and capabilities of the camera.

To be clear, the only mainstream, 8k long-format, Full-Frame, studio and production camera I am aware of is the RED DSMC2 BRAIN, MONSTRO 8K VV. At $80,000USD the RED DSMC2 BRAIN, MONSTRO 8K VV is obviously only "mainstream" in the Studio and Production sense, but rental could make it possible for individual projects if budget allows.

ziggy53
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Super Moderators Posts: 21,941 moderator
    edited August 30, 2020

The Canon EOS R5 is an extremely competent professional Stills camera, and also the first Canon outside the Canon Cinema line, and under the $4,000USD price-point, to have more than 4k video capabilities. It's not a cheap camera, but considering it's total capabilities it could be one of the true "bargains" available to "indie", sports, news and other short-format ENG/EFP individuals and smaller production companies.

While I would like to eventually have my own EOS R5, I'm fully retired and, to be honest, I just don't need it. I'm very happy with my pair of 5D Mark IV bodies, a Magic Lantern enhanced 5D Mark III (allowing RAW video acquisition), an EOS M50 crop mirrorless, and a couple of action cameras that do 4k video. Along with a couple old Full-HD Canon Vixia camcorders I feel very nicely empowered. (Proper post-processing is another valuable component for successful video production.)

If 'You' need the qualities of, and can work with the limits of operation, the EOS R5 (and the EOS R6) can be an asset in video production, for sure!

I do recommend leaving the LCD moved out from the camera back, to prevent trapping dead air back there, and it looks like there are some CFexpress memory cards which run cooler than others. Both Canon and third-party manufacturers also seem to have patents and plans to produce cooling devices for the R5 and R6. Also watch for evolving and improving firmware, starting with the Canon "EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.1.0".

ziggy53

EOS R5 Firmware Update, Version 1.1.0

https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r5?subtab=downloads-firmware

Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

1. Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled.
    2. When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
    3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the "Slow Synchro" setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
    4. Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
    5. Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
    6. Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CFexpress cards.
    7. Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
    8. The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.
    ziggy53

Canon EOS R5 OVERHEATING improvements with firmware 1.1.0

ziggy53

Did CANON FIX the EOS R5 OVERHEATING?! (Firmware 1.1.0 REVIEW) - Jared Polin

ziggy53
    edited August 30, 2020

There are forums and sites discussing how to circumvent the overheating messages and subsequent shutdown of the EOS R5. The justification is because, "... the normal operating temperature of a modern socket on chip is up to 90 degrees Celsius." - and - " ... testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake, with artificial timers deployed to lock out video mode ... "

Trying to equate Canon/Nikon/Sony imager chips to CPU/GPU chips is like when a few people thought, "Gasoline and diesel (and later, E85) are both fuels, therefore I should be able to put diesel/E85 in my gasoline tank and expect my gasoline motor to run."

Just as it's a really bad idea to put diesel/E85 into a gasoline powered car, it's a really bad idea to think that a Canon EOS R5 should be forced to run for longer than originally designed, which will cause protracted temperatures for the imager.

The predictable result of such abuse is some combination of dead and/or hot or stuck pixels on the imager, and ultimately you may cause other undue stress to the power supply, main board and image processor(s).

In short, just don't subject anything you own beyond it's manufacturer designs, but especially not a Canon EOS R5. Abusing a camera from any manufacturer and then experiencing damage or failure is not a manufacturer's responsibility, and any repair or replacement is the owner's responsibility, regardless of warranty. (That used to be common sense, but for some reason some people want to feel entitled rather than responsible, and I just don't understand ...?)

ziggy53

Sony A7SIII VS Canon R5 - Ultimate Video Camera Showdown

Sony A7SIII vs Canon R5 Overheating Test Revisited

ziggy53