Options

S9000 back from repair

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited July 17, 2006 in Cameras
Hello All,

Promised update on my Fuji S9000's broken Command dial:

About a week after I dropped off my S9000 to the authorized repair center ( which told me they must ship my camera to Fuji N.J. for repair ), I received a call from the authorized repair center. The manager informed me the dial repair will cost me $74 to fix as Fuji would not honor the repair.

I immediately visited the authorized repair center and re-stated my case to the manager. He listened to me and calmly said sit down he will call Fuji.
He returned in 5 minutes and asked me to wait for 10 minutes as he is having the Fuji Rep look over my camera.

The manager returned in 10 minutes and said the Fuji Rep "examined your camera and found there was not even a mark or scratch, he found it to be in new condition, not abused, and therefore Fuji will fix the dial under warranty."

I called the authorized repair service on Tuesday, they said it would arrive on Wednesday, I was able to pick it up today.

When I turned the command Dial it 'clicked' from one position notch to the next, the dial's resistance is firmer than it was since I first used my S9000 until the dial fell off.

The feel of my S9000 and my knowing what I can do with it as opposed to my heavy D60 and almost as heavy F828, makes me very happy that I bought the S9000.

I hope my reporting my story on this issue was helpful to some of you.

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    That's great Nick. I hope you get much enjoyment from you repaired camera.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    The feel of my S9000 and my knowing what I can do with it as opposed to my heavy D60 and almost as heavy F828, makes me very hapy that I bought the S9000.

I'm shocked.

naughty.gif

Glad it all worked out OK for you, Nicholas.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006

The feel of my S9000 and my knowing what I can do with it as opposed to my heavy D60 and almost as heavy F828, makes me very happy that I bought the S9000.
    If you hate your heavy D60 and F828 as much as you sound like you do, I think there's dGrinners that would happily take them off of your hands.

I, for one will take the D60 and give it a good loving home. How much do you want for such an awful camera?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Glad your camera is back in good repair.

I look forward to seeing some new and improved shots!
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Glad it ended up working out for you.

We'll be looking for posted pic from you, seagulls, worlds fair park, etc.mwink.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    The photos I have seen from your D60 are tremendously better than your S9000 photos. Maybe it was the subject matter? I dunno. I thought the photos you took of the broken dial were more interesting than some of your S9000 stuff. rolleyes1.gif

Shhh! He *doesn't* like his D60. I wants to give it a good home! :smack
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    Shhh! He *doesn't* like his D60. I wants to give it a good home!
    the way he talks about it, he should be paying you to take it!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I'll take it off his hands if he'll pay me $10 (paypal and shipping not included :P )

:pimp
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 27, 2006
    If you hate your heavy D60 and F828 as much as you sound like you do, I think there's dGrinners that would happily take them off of your hands.

I, for one will take the D60 and give it a good loving home. How much do you want for such an awful camera?

I agree with Scott. With all the moaning about limitations, why not sell off the
    old stuff?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Hell...i'll jump in here as well. You shots with the 9000 whatever it is were pretty ordinary in comparison to the canon.

I suppose its like a parent with an ugly kid....nothing will make them admit it.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Glad to hear that Fuji fixed it. $74 just to fix a small dial?! Good thing you talked to them about it again and got them to fix it under the warranty.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Hell...i'll jump in here as well. You shots with the 9000 whatever it is were pretty ordinary in comparison to the canon.

I suppose its like a parent with an ugly kid....nothing will make them admit it.

Easy now...

We're not trying to get personal here.

I'm quite serious about buying the D60 though. I want to have it converted for IR photography.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Easy now...

Welcome to the new and improved 95% less milque-toast-esque dgrin. naughty.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Easy now...

Well i bloody well am !
    It is a prosumer camera , built to a budget & probably does what it needs to do. The shots from it show this. There is nothing more boring than someone whining like a jet engine about convincing themselves & everyone else that they bought well.

Im going to start a thread about how my $15 computer mouse can kick the arse of any $55 trackball.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    :bash :deadhorse :soapbox :crazy :deadhorse :flush
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 27, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Well i bloody well am !
    It is a prosumer camera , built to a budget & probably does what it needs to do. The shots from it show this. There is nothing more boring than someone whining like a jet engine about convincing themselves & everyone else that they bought well.

Im going to start a thread about how my $15 computer mouse can kick the arse of any $55 trackball.

You paid $15 for a mouse? Are you high?

Back on topic.

I guess I am tired of reading what appears to be marketing drivel every time
    a shot gets posted or how one camera is better than another and how the
    d60 just wasn't up to the task. Blah, blah, blah. It's the same in the great
    Nikon vs. Canon debate too.

Blaming one's equipment just demonstrates a lack of understanding (in most
    cases) of how to use it properly.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    You paid $15 for a mouse? Are you high?

It's the same in the great
    Nikon vs. Canon debate too.

Ian

But the difference here is that the Canon vs. Nikon thread is for fun and isn't supposed to be a serious discussion...:poke
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    But the difference here is that the Canon vs. Nikon thread is for fun and isn't supposed to be a serious discussion...:poke

Huh?ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif These posts about a Fuji camera are not a joke?headscratch.gif They are not for fun?headscratch.gif Someone actually believes this camera is superior to DSLRs and the rest of the cameras out there?headscratch.gif No way. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    I'm particularly grumpy tonight. It must be separation anxiety because my D2X is visiting NYC.

Anyhow all Nick did was to post that his camera was repaired and that he was happy that it was back. He then made the fatal mistake of saying that he preferred it to his D60.

This led to a number of increasingly immature responses that has rapidly degenerated into a feeding fenzy. One of the reasons I hang out here instead of DPR is the absence of threads like this one.

I guess we will have to add to the Dgrin rules that it is a capital offense to state a personal preference for a prosumer camera over a DSLR.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    One of the reasons I hang out here instead of DPR is the absence of threads like this one.

I guess we will have to add to the Dgrin rules that it is a capital offense to state a personal preference for a prosumer camera over a DSLR.

15524779-Ti.gif

I'm with Harry on this one.

Nick likes his S9000 better than his D60. Simple as that - a no editorial needed. Maybe he got off on the on the wrong foot a few months ago when he was calling his Fuji the "DSLR Killer" but for his reasons (active electronic viewfinder, composition on the lcd display, sharp all-in-one zoom), that's okay.

Seems like there's a lot of "piling on" happening here.

I appreciated his account of a camera malfunction made right by Fuji and I'm glad he's got his favorite shooting tool back again.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over..........
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Laughing.gif Humungus I got a laugh outta that one....prolly cuz its after midnight... rolleyes1.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    Thank you HarryB...but..
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm particularly grumpy tonight. It must be separation anxiety because my D2X is visiting NYC.

Anyhow all Nick did was to post that his camera was repaired and that he was happy that it was back. He then made the fatal mistake of saying that he preferred it to his D60.

Please read my statement, I wrote "heavy D60".

I thank those who posted on this thread that they read the results of my broken camera's repair, that I had to stand my ground as to how the camera broke, and that Fuji responded in a reasonable manner.

One more thing:

To those others who used the words "moaned", "superior", "marketing drivel", and "whinning", please for your sake and that of your families, turn off your computer and go outdoors and get a life. I say this in the most humanitarian manner. You actually ran off on a ficticious dialouge at the EXPENSE OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. You have a serious problem. You are not here for photography no matter what equipment you own. Why Digitalgrin puts up with this behavior makes a good question. And why Digitalgrin allows DoctorIt to display such a vulgar image of himself picking his nose is another good question. Imagine how many new visitors to Digitalgrin seeing this elementary school jesture and were turned-off and never returned to digitalgrin due to his image alone.

Again thanks to all of you especially Red Bull, Harryb, Wholenight and others.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    And why Digitalgrin allows DoctorIt to display such a vulgar image of himself picking his nose is another good question. Imagine how many new visitors to Digitalgrin seeing this elementary school jesture and were turned-off and never returned to digitalgrin due to his image alone.

Regards, Nicholas
    Alright, now you made it personal! It was all in good fun until you took an individual poke at me. And you should get your facts straight: not only does dgrin tolerate it, they asked me to help moderate the site!

7536251-S.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    PS, there's nothing wrong with picking your nose. I like it.

54161813-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    :D

55386446.jpg

55386447.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    CH57, CH57!!!!!!:D

7536251-S.jpg[/quote]
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    Please read my statement, I wrote "heavy D60".

I thank those who posted on this thread that they read the results of my broken camera's repair, that I had to stand my ground as to how the camera broke, and that Fuji responded in a reasonable manner.

One more thing:

To those others who used the words "moaned", "superior", "marketing drivel", and "whinning", please for your sake and that of your families, turn off your computer and go outdoors and get a life. I say this in the most humanitarian manner. You actually ran off on a ficticious dialouge at the EXPENSE OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. You have a serious problem. You are not here for photography no matter what equipment you own. Why Digitalgrin puts up with this behavior makes a good question. And why Digitalgrin allows DoctorIt to display such a vulgar image of himself picking his nose is another good question. Imagine how many new visitors to Digitalgrin seeing this elementary school jesture and were turned-off and never returned to digitalgrin due to his image alone.

Regards, Nicholas

*** moderator edit ** please, say what you like but no personal attacks, thank you.

..Nick

I tried to defend you, trying to diffuse the situation, and you walk in and start insulting people left right and center?

For that matter, learn to deal with the world. Picking your nose isn't vulgar. Do you live under a gorramn rock or something? Grow up and smell society. It ain't particularly pretty, but we live in a world that's not as perfect as you think it is in your head.

Also, thanks for ignoring me in your list of people to thank.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nick, a box of hair has a better sense of humor than you do.

7536251-S.jpg

I feel you're holding something back, not sharing your true feelings. You can't keep hostilities bottled up inside. They'll find a way out. Share with us, Erik, don't hide behind your avatar . . . .

rolleyes1.gif:Drolleyes1.gif:Drolleyes1.gif:D

I was waiting for your untamed response :beatwax

Too bad the shot's not current - "Strong Emotions" challenge
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 28, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

This led to a number of increasingly immature responses that has rapidly degenerated into a feeding fenzy. One of the reasons I hang out here instead of DPR is the absence of threads like this one.

Harry - I think it is time to put this sad thread to bed. I am closing it in hopes that folks can calm down and move on. The new Fuji s9500 looks like a very appealing camera.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin