Options

New Smugmug features!

13»

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    galla47 wrote:
    My hunch is that the java (or whatever cart.mg is) that is working when you add to card is based in the www.smugmug.com/hack path and is therefore being blocked by my company.
    Is there anyway to move cart.mg out of /hack?

I don't know hack what the firewall hack could have found hack troubling in the hack phraseology of hack the URL there. What the hack could it be? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 1, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I don't know hack what the firewall hack could have found hack troubling in the hack phraseology of hack the URL there. What the hack could it be? ne_nau.gif
    lol3.giflol3 but i think it's the url no the content...otherwise he couldn't see his own post.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 5, 2006
    just want to post a big thumbs up to the network team at SM. Noticible improvements in speed. Especially in the photo processing.

thanks guys!

thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    just want to post a big thumbs up to the network team at SM. Noticible improvements in speed. Especially in the photo processing.

thanks guys!

thumb.gif

Wish we could take credit, but we haven't touched photo processing for awhile. I think you're just getting lucky when you upload. :)

Don
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 6, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Wish we could take credit, but we haven't touched photo processing for awhile. I think you're just getting lucky when you upload. :)

Don

or unlucky before. whatever it is/was it feels faster to me.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Not sure when these got updated, but it seems recent:

I really like the "gears" and the way the image size viewing works now.
    AMAZING increase in layout speed, rotation etc... Yay!! clap.gif
  • Options
    zanthruszanthrus Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    KMCC wrote:
    First of all, I really like the new changes; but I'm using Firefox 1.5 and am also experiencing the minimizing and shifting of the browser window when I view a photograph using the lightbox.

That said, I'm more concerned by what is happening now when the "Buy:This Photo" button is clicked. Persons using Firefox are no longer immediately being taken to the screen where they see the photo they are purchasing and the various options in terms of size, finish, etc. The "View Cart" button has to be clicked for that to happen.

I don't think that this is as user-friendly and intuitive as the old method and may actually confuse some potential buyers.

As I was experimenting with it, I clicked on "Buy: This Photo" twice before it dawned on me that I needed to click on "View Cart"; of course by then I'd begun filling the cart with duplicate orders.

Again, I really like the changes, but am hopeful that the bugginess associated with them can be worked out quickly.

I'm getting exactly the same problems. The ordering is really messed up. I don't know any other websites that work like that. It happens in IE, Firefox and Opera for me. When clicking buy doesn't take you anywhere, how many people are just going to give up and leave?

The browser resize issue is annoying in Firefox, but the site works great if you don't let javascript resize windows.

In Opera the lightbox gives me two sets of scrollbars right next to each other.

In IE, it works fine. Was the lightbox only tested in IE? It really seems that way to me.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    zanthrus wrote:
    When clicking buy doesn't take you anywhere, how many people are just going to give up and leave?

The message says "adding to cart" and there are on a standard page, three cart links, so I'm wondering how this is difficult? Thanks for elaborating.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The message says "adding to cart" and there are on a standard page, three cart links, so I'm wondering how this is difficult? Thanks for elaborating.

It's not difficult, but it is unusual. Having a website that acts differently than users expect doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd describe the scenario like this:

1.) I find a picture I like.
    2.) I click add to cart.
    3.) A message flashes on the screen saying it is adding it.
    4.) The message disappears and everything is the same as step 2.

So, after step 4, you're left sitting there with no indication that something actually completed successfully. It was adding to the cart, but did it finish? Is it in the cart?

If you keep track of statistics like people adding the same picture twice, I'd bet that a lot more people are doing it now. At step 4, something has to be different than it was at step 2. It doesn't need to be huge, but there needs to be something.

Maybe the view cart button should say "View Cart (1 item)." There should just be some difference. If you go to Amazon.com, after you add an item to the cart, a big box pops up with the text "Proceed to checkout." For photos, you might not want that. With people buying a lot of photos at a time, you don't want to make them lose their place everytime they add something to the cart.

I see how you were trying to streamline the process, but you went a little too far.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    zanthrus wrote:
    I see how you were trying to streamline the process, but you went a little too far.

Hm - well, I've also spoken to numerous pros who like the fact that their buyers are still on the page where they can "buy more."

The great thing about SmugMug is that you can make your own special help page, telling your buyers how best to buy photos from you deal.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=247507#post247507

Thanks so much for the great feedback, though!
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    zanthrus wrote:
    Maybe the view cart button should say "View Cart (1 item)." There should just be some difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. This won't do it, exactly, but you can change what the cart buttons say, with customization.

http://blogs.smugmug.com/web-tricks/2005/09/06/changing-shopping-cart-action-text/
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hm - well, I've also spoken to numerous pros who like the fact that their buyers are still on the page where they can "buy more."

The great thing about SmugMug is that you can make your own special help page, telling your buyers how best to buy photos from you deal.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=247507#post247507

Thanks so much for the great feedback, though!

Yeah, the new system is great for experienced, volume buyers. I'm actually starting to warm up to it as I experiment more with it.

However, my first response was: "What the hell? Nothing happened." If even 5% of new users think the same thing, thats going to mean lost sales.