New Google Analytics

VictorRVictorR www.rakmilphotography.comRegistered Users Posts: 30 Big grins

Google is warning that they are changing to a new Analytics package but the instructions are confusing when it comes to making links with a Smugmug site.
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Aussie Grinner Registered Users Posts: 949 Major grins

Fully agree ... following

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com

Anyone?

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • TeachTeach SmugMug Hero Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins

What steps you are having trouble with on the setup that are keeping you from getting it to work with SmugMug?

Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero

Everything!
    I don't understand their instructions/terminology or where to put their code.
    It's like they are speaking a foreign language.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Walkin' like a Penguin! Atwater, CaRegistered Users Posts: 5,416 Major grins

All you need to do is change the Universal Analytic (UA) code to the Google Analytic 4 (GA4) code in your SmugMug settings.

• jcharmonjcharmon Boulder, ColoradoRegistered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2022

I'm having the same problem applying Google's instructions for my Smugmug site. It's been a long time since I set up my site for Google Analytics, which may be part of the issue. Google did not use my existing tagging but provided this information:

If the setup wizard did not use your existing tagging
    If you tagged your site with analytics.js (instead of gtag.js) or if you use a website builder/CMS that tags your pages with analytics.js, then the GA4 Setup Wizard was not able to reuse your existing tagging.

If you're not using a website builder/CMS, you or your web developer can use whatever page editor you like to add the GA4 gtag.js tag directly to your pages. Leave the analytics.js tag in place so that Analytics still sends data to your Universal Analytics property.

If you're using a website builder/CMS that tags your pages with analytics.js, you can use the custom-HTML feature to add the GA4 gtag.js tag to your pages. Leave the analytics.js tag in place so that Analytics still sends data to your Universal Analytics property.

How do I add the GA4 gtag.js directly to my pages? I did find the Google Analytics section in Smugmug/Account Settings/Google Analytics, but it apparently only allows one Google Property ID, whereas Google's GA4 Help says I need to have both the 'old' GA3 and 'new' GA4 settings. Is there some way to have both?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Djm3006Djm3006 Major grins Steamboat Springs, ColoradoRegistered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
  • jcharmonjcharmon Boulder, ColoradoRegistered Users Posts: 25 Big grins

Smugmug support has just confirmed to me that only one Google Property can currently be entered in Account Settings/Google Analytics at a time. They've added a feature request for the product team to allow entry of multiple tags at a time.

• jcday44jcday44 Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2022

It's clear as mud. SMH. Any progress in two months?
    I'm about ready to kick this site to the curb if something isn't done. Google analytics has NEVER matched the hundreds of views SmugMugs says I have, and I'm tired of issues not getting resolved.