Mini Challenge #373: The Color "BLUE": It isn't as common as you think

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 718 Major grins
edited August 14, 2024 in The Dgrin Challenges

Removing the Sky and Ocean from the equation, Blue is one of the rarest of colors in nature. Even the few animals and plants that appear blue don’t actually contain the color.
Show me Three of your best BLUE images. nature or not, BLUE is the color of the day.

This challenge will run through 02, September 9:00 PM EDT.

Here are the official/unofficial rules: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

A few examples:
A Blue Collared Lizard, Native to our Desert

The Great BLUE Heron, Not soo BLUE, but blue non the less.

Fireworks against a twilight BLUE sky.

Blue Hour at Tillamook Head, Oregon

The typical Screaming BLUE Peacock

I found this at last minute, A Real Blue Flower... or is it?
Lacecap Cobalt Hydrangea

Last one, BLUE as an emotion:

Put your thinking caps on!!!
I look forward to your creative entries.

Comments

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,011 Major grins

All just tooo darn good #5 better that that #2 I have a shot similar but going away with 1 feather dragging in the water and won a contest thank for not posting that one that day

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,217 Major grins

That blue peacock shot is awesome! Interesting topic!

I am submitting some images, but...I will be away from home in an area where I will have no cell service and no internet access when this mini closes. Either don't consider these at all or understand that I will be unavailable to start a new mini for 3 or 4 days after this one closes.

1. Senior photo in Bluebonnets (Texas state flower). I have hundreds and hundreds of bluebonnet photos of various compositions, but this is one of my favorite people portraits. I chose this one because the graduate is also wearing a blue dress. :)

2. A "Blue" Bird on a Post

3. Beautiful blue water at Sand Beach in Acadia National Park, Maine.

Just for fun, the Sapphire Pool at Yellowstone. This is the one that was near the hydrothermal explosion a week or two ago. It doesn't look like this now, sadly.

Sherry P.

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 718 Major grins
  • Morgan8585Morgan8585 Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins

Diving reefs in Maui, Hawaii

edited August 15, 2024

@Morgan8585 said:
    Diving reefs in Maui, Hawaii

Lovely reef shot Morgan,
    The rules for the Challenge allow for a total of Three images to be judged.
    You are welcome to post an additional Two images.
    For your convenience:
    Here are the official/unofficial rules: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,059 Major grins

Here are a couple of blue (ish)

1) Morning blue on the Sound. (Puget Sound, Washington)

2) Spirit of Colorado at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival

3) Too cool for school blue, Redding, Ca

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2024

There was a garden on Cape Cod with a section just for blue flowers. And I also have some pictures of birds with blue feathers

• including some of a peacock that lived in our yard for about a year. But these are the ones I picked
    1. Blue eyes My grandson is almost 14 years old in this photo, which was taken in 2008
      '
      His mother and sister have these same intense blue eyes - Mother top, granddaughter middle, grandson bottom of this collage
    2. Blue Morpho butterfly - the blue is only on the back of the wings. So you can only see it when the butterfly has their wings open. When the butterfly is at rest the wings are up over its back and they look like tree bark - brown

I think most of the blue water photos are of the sky reflected in the water. But when I eliminate those, I still have some water related majorly blue photos. Including blue glaciers - Glacier ice is blue because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears. But I don't have any real good photos of blue glacier ice. And there are also underwater photos - this is not a reflection of the sky. As you go deeper in the water, red disappears at less than 15 feet. Orange is next at around 25 feet, yellow at 35, green at 65, and finally blue is absorbed at around 200 feet. So back when I was still diving and useing film, I always told the processor to "push the red." That's why I include this photo - it's not the sky or the reflection of the sky

1. A white spotted filefish (yellow phase) I took a photo of while snorkeling in Bonaire. Almost all the photos I have taken while diving or snorkeling have a beautiful blue background and the orange filefish makes it more intense

This is what the butterfly looks like at rest

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited August 16, 2024

Looks like we are starting to cook with gas!
    See! setting aside oceans and sky, Blue is not as simple as it seems.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins

Almost all my photos with blue are sky and water but I did find a couple of others. I still had to resort to water and sky a bit...

1) Juvenile 5 lined skink (at least that's what I think it is)

The blue tail is a feature of the juvenile

2) Diamond Head Dusk

This view is from the east, at a scenic pullout near Hanauma Bay. It's not the iconic Diamond Head profile seen from Waikiki Beach.

3) Blue Ridge Mountains from Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park

View from Spitler Knoll Overlook

~~Barbara
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,962 moderator
    edited August 28, 2024

Great idea for a mini! I did find it challenging to find images that feature blue - apart from nature - so I'm glad you are accepting nature shots as well. That said, life is pretty full just now and I will be traveling soon. So please don't count these as entries. I will have limited WiFi and no computer access while away. Thanks!

1) Blea Tarn

2) Tobermory, Canada

3) Seen in Hawaii

edited August 25, 2024

_just a little blue humor. Move u are blocking the BLUE

Jeff W

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,962 moderator
    edited August 25, 2024

@jwear, glad you were able to post the photo so it showed up the way you expected!

As you requested, I deleted the first image you posted here, etc. Hope that helps!

Thank you not for voting it was to keep it going but ??? But why it did that I just don't know

Jeff W

Looks like we have had a bit of action over the weeks.
    Only a few more days to post .

edited September 4, 2024

mini is now closed
    I should have results up in the following day.
    Apologies for the delay. I am dealing with end of life issues with my 93YO father.