Mini Challenge #374 -- Bridges

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
edited September 7, 2024 in The Dgrin Challenges

Well, I think I chose a topic that we haven't seen before (or at least in a long time). I love seeing beautiful and interesting Bridges, but I don't ever go photograph them. To be honest, I'm not sure I have a lot of Bridges to share, but I'd love to see yours! These can be fancy bridges for automobiles over water or canyons, simple bridges in a local park, homemade bridges in the backyard, or foot bridges, rail bridges, or natural bridges like arches or stones in a creek. I'm not picky!

Let's get back to a two-week mini and end this one on Sunday, September 22, 2024 at 6:00 pm Central Daylight Time. You know the rules, so post your 3 favorite bridge photos. If you need a refresher on the rules, they are pinned here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules#latest.

I found a few less-than-stellar examples to give you an idea.

Log over a creek (natural bridge)

Bridge in Sedona, AZ

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

1789 Selectman's Building near Acadia National Park, Maine

Scenic Bridge in Acadia National Park, Maine

Land Bridge at low tide

Senior Portrait on a VERY Rickety Suspension Bridge over a creek

I know these examples don't include the "traditional" bridge shot, but if you have some please show them off to me! I'd love to see some cool bridges or even scary ones.

Have fun!

Sherry P.

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,112 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2024

Wonderful idea - there is a themed thread on Bridges so I have been collection my bridge pictures. It will be hard for me to narrow it down to just 3. Traveling on a boat which we did for several winters, bridges are something that you see a lot of and are close enough to them to get a reasonable photo. I even have a couple of photos of a ship's bridge. But I won't be using them as I have too many of real bridges. (And separating them from things like docks which go over something but don't have an end - and wondering whether to use things like aquaducts and gangways)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins

I didn't realize there was another thread for only Bridges?? Should I find a new topic??

Any bridge is ok.

Sherry P.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,333 moderator

I think your topic is good @slpollett, I would leave it.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins

Thanks, @denisegoldberg .

Hopefully, there will be some entries start pouring in.... :)

Sherry P.

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,853 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2024
    1. Cologne, Germany

1. Somewhere in Scotland

1. Somewhere in the south of The Netherlands

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,112 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2024

I'm just having trouble picking - I've got over 200 candidates already. The fact that there is a thread on it and that we haven't had it for awhile shows that it is a good topic. Anyway I have decided to stop waffling and just pick some.

1. A tiny bridge in Bermuda

1. Detail of a bridge in Paris as we go under it on a dinner cruise

1. Three different views of the Avignon bridge
      The top photo was taken in 1964 and the bottom two in 2019 - one during the day and the third from a boat at night.

(

Sur le Pont d'Avignon
    L'on y danse, l'on y danse
    Sur le Pont d'Avignon
    L'on y danse tous en rond

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • npdemersnpdemers Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2024

Bridges, you say? I've got a few...

Paris, May 2022. The fancy apartment blocks of Île-Saint-Louis and Pont de Sully, a motorised / pedestrian bridge dating to 1877, cutting through the eastern tip of the island and connecting it to both sides of the river.

(Yes, that's Notre Dame in the background)

Prague, May 2023. Charles Bridge, dating to the late 1300's and named after Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. It is lined with a few dozen statues of saints added over the centuries. In the background to the right is Prague Castle and the imposing St. Vitus Cathedral.

Vancouver, June 2024. Burrard Bridge and the downtown core from Granville Island, at sunset.

Blog: https://figureoutthesea.ca
    Store: https://nicolasdemers.smugmug.com/

"Either we'll figure out the sea, or we'll keep finding beautiful places."

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,056 Major grins

I have just a few.

1) Sundial Walking Bridge in, Redding, Ca. For some reason I didn't take one during the daylight which would show the bridge in a better light - and is more impressive.

2) The No Hands Bridge spanning the confluence of the North and Middle forks of the American River in Auburn, Ca. Once used to carry limestone from a quarry to auburn by large locomotives. It earned its “No Hands” nickname from horseback rider Ina Robinson, who was known to ride across the bridge, which lacked guardrails, without holding her reins.

3) Foresthill Bridge crossing the American River from Auburn, Ca to Foresthill, Ca. Tallest bridge n California and fourth tallest in the US. at 730 feet above the river. I drive this almost every day even though I am afraid of heights.- I find that closing ones eyes helps (but makes other drivers nervous).

edited September 18, 2024

Sherry,
    the system would not let me post my entry and was giving me a Unknown Column message. So I tried fixing and posting a couple of times. I copied my input and then deleted it and found that there are now 3 posts of my entries. Help!! Not sure who can delete two of these - it won't let me delete or erase the duplicate entries.

Yours in edit hell,
    Jo

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,333 moderator
    edited September 18, 2024

@Cavalier said:
    Sherry,
    the system would not let me post my entry and was giving me a Unknown Column message. So I tried fixing and posting a couple of times. I copied my input and then deleted it and found that there are now 3 posts of my entries. Help!! Not sure who can delete two of these - it won't let me delete or erase the duplicate entries.

Yours in edit hell,
    Jo

Jo -
    I'm filling in for Gretchen while she is traveling.
    I was able to remove your duplicate posts, you should be all set!

Denise

@denisegoldberg - Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated!