Options

Review: Huey Monitor Calibration from Pantone

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I just re-Huey'd the CRT in overcast daylight. It still looks too warm on the default setting. It's as if the whites have a rose/yellowish blanket over them. And not enough contrast. But the whites seem too blue on any of the 'cool settings.'

From me, the Huey is getting a thumbs down, I'm afraid.

I'm going to have to learn how to use the One Eye for myself and make it work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    I've just tested it. Somehow I'm still getting used to the settings in the iBook (the brushed aluminum in some Mac apps looks slightly brownish now), but white is white, and the images look good. On my Windows desktop, using the huey made a world of difference. Thumbs up from me. thumb.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2006
    "Brownish" = too warm.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    "Brownish" = too warm.
    I know Sid, but that's the weird thing: on the Mac it's a too warm in the brushed alu stuff, but the whites are clear white, and not too warm (rose or something). I'll have to look into it sometime, but since the Mac isn't my editing machine, I'm not too worried. The Windows desktop is not too warm, brushed alu is just that, whites are white, and the image colors look stunning. So on the Win desktop it´s a great success, on the Mac I will still have to look into it.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I know Sid, but that's the weird thing: on the Mac it's a too warm in the brushed alu stuff, but the whites are clear white, and not too warm (rose or something). I'll have to look into it sometime, but since the Mac isn't my editing machine, I'm not too worried. The Windows desktop is not too warm, brushed alu is just that, whites are white, and the image colors look stunning. So on the Win desktop it´s a great success, on the Mac I will still have to look into it.
    Interesting. On my Sony laptop it absolutely looks awful, way too warm. I'm going to do a system restore to get it back to the way it looked before. On the desktop CRT, I left the Huey plugged in to adjust for room light automatically. It went from too warm to far too bright over the last two days. ne_nau.gif Frustrating.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    I must just not have as critical of an eye as waxy. There was definitely a noticeable change from where the monitor was to where the huey put it. It did get warmer and it looked like it was wrong for a few seconds. But then my eyes adjusted and I can see that the grays are gray the whites are white, the colors are fantastic, and the brightness level is perfect. Wax, have you tried just letting yourself get used to it for a while?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I must just not have as critical of an eye as waxy. There was definitely a noticeable change from where the monitor was to where the huey put it. It did get warmer and it looked like it was wrong for a few seconds. But then my eyes adjusted and I can see that the grays are gray the whites are white, the colors are fantastic, and the brightness level is perfect. Wax, have you tried just letting yourself get used to it for a while?
    Yeah, I've let it run since I installed it. Click on the link in my sig to hear how I'm going to handle Huey from now on. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Meh, I was just sayin'. You know, it's kind of like when you go from a cold pool to a warm shower. It feels hotter than it really is kind of thing.

ne_nau.gif

But like I said, maybe I don't have as critical of an eye. That could be one of the reasons that my photography isn't all that great too.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Discuss the review, monitor calibration, here.
    We read the review and everyone's posts, and so bought Huey a few days ago. We had intended waiting another month or three til we could afford the one costing five times as much. Everything looks good (better, that is) on-screen. Will be emailing an order for just a few prints to the pro-lab we use tomorrow. Fingers are so crossed: their prints lately have not been as true as we would like, generally darker than expected. So hoping we are now calibrated to their printer's settings and will get prints as on the screen and won't need to try to second-guess it from now.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_Leghorn/ltfl_081.wav

Sid, Sid, Sid..you really need to get out morerolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_Leghorn/ltfl_081.wav

Sid, Sid, Sid..you really need to get out morerolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif I've been waiting for someone to click on that and enjoy it! Thank you, Thusie!
    Sid.
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    I discussed this new pantone huey product in my Archival Printing class at the community college this past week. The teacher, who uses both a GM eye-one and a monaco color calibrator was intrigued by the price point and ambient light feature. Another student, also a local photo equipment sales rep, mentioned that he thought the huey was aimed more at gamers than photographers. He recommended getting the new Pantone/GM eye-one LT, just intro'd. This one, he said, cost around $140 or so and had more features.

I use a laptop to process photos, and I decided that I would try the huey, based upon Andy's product review. Ordered it from Academic Superstore for current price of $69.95 shipped. Will post my experience with the device when I receive it.

The Eye-one LT also looks like a very useful device, tho.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    Well, I received the "huey" yesterday and installed the software on a HP DV1340 laptop. It is really a simple, straight-forward procedure to run the calibration with the device. It did warm up the screen, but the whites are indeed white. The screen seems too bright, tho.

There is not much documentation with the device. There is not a way to set gamma or kelvin. Don't know the values the huey set for them.

I am not enitirely clear or satisfied with how the huey continous ambient light measuring and adjusting functions. It generall seems like the screen is too intense.

I pulled up an Ole no Moire image. Seems like it carries too much magenta into the blues. As bright as the screen was, it was difficult to discern the lightest gray scales. Generally it seems to work better when the ambient light monitoring function is disabled.

I'm not sure if the brightness is all the huey color calibration. I had recently calibrated the laptop screen at school using a Monaco colorite calibration. The general colors seem nearly the same.

Don't know quite where to go from here with the screen intensity. Simply adjusting the screen brightness from keyboard darkens image, but doesn't change the hue.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    Don't know quite where to go from here with the screen intensity. Simply adjusting the screen brightness from keyboard darkens image, but doesn't change the hue.
    FWIW, I noticed a definite change in screen brightness and white balance as the light in my room changed. Not a quick change, mind you, it seemed to take a long time, not discernable to the naked eye. But the screen wasn't as yellow/warm in the morning as it was at night. I must add that none of the changes seemed to give me a correct calibration. I think your fellow student had the right idea. I'm very pleased with the Eye One Display.
    Sid.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    My new Huey
    I'd read Andy's Huey review. Sounded like the right thing for me - under $100 so I could afford without much planning, easy, quick, not a lot of options but maybe consistant color from my dell flat panel.

Bought one from Amazon for 69.99 and it arrived today. Easy install, easy setup.

But lousy color. I mean REALLY crappy color on my monitor. The dgrin background greys are now a warm "taupe" like color. My Smugmug Calibration Print (that I've been trying to eyeball to, pre-Huey) looks nothing like my monitor. In the Gretag colorchecker chart in the center, the white is pinkish. And the asian girl on the left now has a good warm tan.

So, being the good troubleshooter that I am mwink.gif , I turn off the ambient room light monitoring and recalibrate. Note: I have recessed spots in my office with flourescent (supposedly daylight balanced) bulbs - probably a problem. Same result, taupe greys, warm whites.

So I have another idea. I turn off the office lights completly - no ambient light when it does it's first check of the calibration process (where it looks at the room light). Still really bad color with no change from previous results.

I now have gone to Pantone's website and tried to use the "ask a question" link. Link broken.

I've come to the conclusion that my little buddy, Huey, doesn't like Dell flat panel monitors and he will be heading back to Amazon. Wish I wouldn't have paid for the 2nd day air - no refund on that part of the bill.

:cry
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Quote from photo-i :

The huey is very easy to set up and use, it produced a pleasing (but not totally accurate) colouring on my LG LCD screen, you can see a difference in screen display colouring when the huey profile is compared to one created with a Spyder Pro 2. At £59 the huey represents good value for money, and it will appeal to the keen hobbyist who doesn't want to splash £140+ out on a Spyder. Bearing in mind that is aimed at the hobbyist market I would have liked a few more options, such as being able to calibrate a TV screen as well as a monitor.

My GretagMacbeth EyeOne Display works wonderfully.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Quote from photo-i :

The huey is very easy to set up and use, it produced a pleasing (but not totally accurate) colouring on my LG LCD screen, you can see a difference in screen display colouring when the huey profile is compared to one created with a Spyder Pro 2. At £59 the huey represents good value for money, and it will appeal to the keen hobbyist who doesn't want to splash £140+ out on a Spyder. Bearing in mind that is aimed at the hobbyist market I would have liked a few more options, such as being able to calibrate a TV screen as well as a monitor.

My GretagMacbeth EyeOne Display works wonderfully.

Hobbyist, prosumer, whatever the label - my monitor had substantially worse color than pre-calibration with the Huey.

But I know others have been happy with the device. I'll blame my Dell monitor.

I think I need an EyeOne Display like you! Maybe that will be a better match for my needs.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Dell flat panel monitors

:cry

I have seen way more uncalibrate-able Dell flat panels than I can shake a stick at. Huey going strong for me, with my Apple 23" ACD and also 15" Powerbook...
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    And LaCie CRTs? :cool
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I have seen way more uncalibrate-able Dell flat panels than I can shake a stick at. Huey going strong for me, with my Apple 23" ACD and also 15" Powerbook...

B&H price on Apple 20" $774. Maybe that would make me biggrinbounce2.gif
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    B&H price on Apple 20" $774. Maybe that would make me biggrinbounce2.gif

If money was no object and I wanted a great monitor.....that new Eizo 21" or 24" Flexscans look nice. About $1200 and $1700 respectively.

If it's any help....on both my 18.1" and 23" Sony monitors, the contrast had to go way up and the brightness way down, while the red needed a boost. If you decide on the Eye One, make sure you use the advanced mode for calibration. The easy mode won't do it.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    If you decide on the Eye One, make sure you use the advanced mode for calibration. The easy mode won't do it.
    nod.gif That was very much my experience too. The difference was pronounced, and the "easy" calibration was pretty bad.
    Sid.
  • Options
    PhotoTractionPhotoTraction Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2006
    Brightness & Contrast with HUEY........
    After using the Pantone Huey my brightness and contrast really changed alot and are not good to me. Any ideas or sugestions?
    I'm all new to calibration. Just trying to get good prints through smugmug.
    Thanksheadscratch.gifhttp://www.phototraction.com/
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    I tried and tried to get my Huey to work with my Dell flat panel monitor with no real success.

So I bought a new monitor. Looked at product reviews and bought a 20" Samsung 204B. It was on sale for just under $500. I wanted a Apple Cinema Display but the Samsung's $500 was still pushing my budget and I just souldn't afford the more expensive Apple.

Color was better with included calibration tools but I was still having problems getting my "view" to match the results I was getting from the prints that were coming back when I ordered prints.

So, I bought the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display calibrator from Adorama for about $200. Ric Grupe recommended that one. And I really like the results. My results are now much better. Just as easy to use as the Huey too.

I'm not a real fan of the Huey. :nah It just didn't deliver for me. Amazon did take it back for me and gave me a full refund including postage.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    I have recalibrated my HP 7000 series Laptop, w/17" screen, in a darkened room, but not totally dark, and I am happier with the result. My test prints on a Canon pixma printer, using printer profiles for matte paper, are similar to my screen. My observation is that while colors are on target, prints tend to be darker than monitor, but that, I think is due more to back lit screeen and reflected lit prints. I am getting more pleased with the Huey. I do not use the ambient light feature.

I think we are just too used to seeing bright, blue cast monitors.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    convinced my parents to get a Huey for all our monitors but ended up just being mine :)

working great on my Samsung 17" flat screen CRT...

B&H price on Apple 20" $774. Maybe that would make me
    i can get it for 699 with my student discountbiggrinbounce2.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I've come to the conclusion that my little buddy, Huey, doesn't like Dell flat panel monitors and he will be heading back to Amazon.
    Which Dell LCD do you (or did you) have? I have the Ultrasharp 1905 and was considering the Huey until your experience.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    After using the Pantone Huey my brightness and contrast really changed alot and are not good to me. Any ideas or sugestions?
    I'm all new to calibration. Just trying to get good prints through smugmug.
    Thanksheadscratch.gifhttp://www.phototraction.com/
    What monitor, system, etc? Explain the details of your setup?
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Which Dell LCD do you (or did you) have? I have the Ultrasharp 1905 and was considering the Huey until your experience.

I had the:
    FREE UPGRADE! 19 in E193FP Flat Panel Display

It's the one they include for no extra charge with new systems. Maybe the ultrasharp will be better???
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    So, I bought the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display calibrator from Adorama for about $200. Ric Grupe recommended that one. And I really like the results. My results are now much better. Just as easy to use as the Huey too.

Well, I am glad to here it worked out for you, as mine does.nod.gif

Version 3.6 of the software has a before and after comparison....which is a nice feature.