Review: Huey Monitor Calibration from Pantone

1235»

Comments

• Options
    StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Here is what Andy has to say about it:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27202

I have it, and really like it. I don't know if it's as good as the PRO ones, but it works for me. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Does that Huey thing really have to hang on its cord over monitors at all times to work? Hopefully not, but that's what I see on all the magazine ads, and on its own box.
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2007
    Normally it sits on a stand near the monitor. It is only placed on the monitor for calibration. One of the best features is that the Huey will adjust for changes in room lighting.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    hassimanhassiman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2007
    Huey is now a real PRO!
    They have just released the HueyPro.

The new Pro Huey now allows calibration of multiple monitors, ajustable Gamma and white point and more. The software has also been given a much improved help file.

This is a major upgrade for this unit and should make it much more useful for those of nus that want a well-calibrated monitor.clap.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    Just received a replacement Huey
    As I think I wrote earlier in this thread, my Huey worked ok on my (main photo editing station) desktop, but gave a brownish color cast on my iBook. When the latter died, I had it replaced with a Sony Vaio C-series. The brownish color cast was even worse.

I found out the color cast was a FAQ at the reseller (Colour Confidence). So I contacted the reseller and they informed me that there's a range of bad Huey's out there. They sent me a little application to get the serial number out of my Huey, and then had that checked by the manufacturer. Sure enough, they agreed that the photocells in my Huey were not good, and had me send in the Huey (one month out of warranty). They would replace it for a new one, free of charge.

I just received the replacement Huey, hooked it up to the C-series and now I have a grey on black theme again in Dgrin, in stead of lightbrown on dark brown. And no, it didn't kill the colors on the desktop either, it now works on both screens.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    As I think I wrote earlier in this thread, my Huey worked ok on my (main photo editing station) desktop, but gave a brownish color cast on my iBook. When the latter died, I had it replaced with a Sony Vaio C-series. The brownish color cast was even worse. I found out the color cast was a FAQ at the reseller (Colour Confidence). So I contacted the reseller and they informed me that there's a range of bad Huey's out there. They sent me a little application to get the serial number out of my Huey, and then had that checked by the manufacturer. Sure enough, they agreed that the photocells in my Huey were not good, and had me send in the Huey (one month out of warranty). I just received the replacement Huey, hooked it up to the C-series and now I have a grey on black theme again in Dgrin, in stead of lightbrown on dark brown.
    Nice detective work.

Your defective Huey sounds like my defective Huey. Good to know that Andy wasn't crazy for liking the thing. lol3.gif

Thanks for this highly informative post.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    just received my huey pro direct from pantone (+ a free 1GB flash drive, nice!)

Apparently my desktop was too green (knew that) and my laptop very blue.

After calibration both LCDs are pretty low contrast. I had trouble with the "adjust brightness and contrast to match top and bottom halves." On my Sony Vaio laptop I can only find brightness adjustments? (help, Sid?)

A color image from my most recent shoot looks ok on my calibrated monitor. I expected to find the set much too cool now, since I edited it on the laptop. headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    A color image from my most recent shoot looks ok on my calibrated monitor.
    This is password protected! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Linky updated OOPS!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    After calibration both LCDs are pretty low contrast. I had trouble with the "adjust brightness and contrast to match top and bottom halves." On my Sony Vaio laptop I can only find brightness adjustments? (help, Sid?)

As I recall, I had to let the Vaio laptop use the auto calibration because it didn't have controls, and as I noted, wasn't pleased with the results. So I reset the machine to an earlier date.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    As I recall, I had to let the Vaio laptop use the auto calibration because it didn't have controls, and as I noted, wasn't pleased with the results. So I reset the machine to an earlier date.

Hmmm, I thought your troubles were related to the defects? I waited until the Huey pro came out, and bought direct from Pantone? Hmmm.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hmmm, I thought your troubles were related to the defects? I waited until the Huey pro came out, and bought direct from Pantone? Hmmm.
    My copy of the Huey did not perform well on the laptop or the desktop, either in full auto mode or manual mode. I now assume that I have a defective copy of the product. I have not returned it, I'm using EyeOne instead.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    The empirical fact is that the Hueys don't seem to work perfectly for every computer/os/monitor combo. When they do work, they do the job and that's fine. When they don't work, well, what's worse than a hardware calibration tool that does a worse job than manual calibration?

There don't seem to be the same problems with the older, slightly more expansive gizmos, at least I haven't heard of them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Happy with my Huey Pro!
    I took a chance on the Pro after my previous unhappy experience with the Huey.

I must say that I'm a happy customer now! Both of my monitors at home look good, and even my laptop/2nd monitor combo at work looks the same!
    Chris
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    So I have the regular Huey. (non pro version)
    I run dual screens w/ Vista.

About two weeks ago, seemingly out of nowhere. Both monitors became perfectly calibrated. Before there was a definite blue cast on the non calibrated monitor.
    Pantone says that huey pro is the only device that actually controls dual monitors.

So I figured out why this was happening:
    Recently I've moved my main work machine a few times and the #1 & #2 monitors were switched from port 1&2. So I had to switch settings though my Nvidia control panel so me screens were oriented properly. Somehow this allowed calibration of BOTH monitors and I'm pretty stoked about this inadvertent work around!

If you want details on how to do this. Please PM me. I'd like to work out some tests w/ ppl that have dual displays so I can create repeatable results. THis way we can share the knowledge w/ our fellow grinners. (just don't squeal to Pantone!)
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Huey not-pro
    Sounds interesting!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Ya know, the Huey you have will upgrade to Pro for a $30 fee. You download the new software, and the Huey gets a firmware update. Easy, and betterer than any workaround you can think up. Easily worth $30 to save the headaches. And it will calibrate each monitor separately, not apply one calibration to both.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    I don't have a Huey but in general my understanding is that monitors can be separately calibrated when both the OS and the video card support it. On the Mac you can usually assume that any connected monitor can have its own profile. On Windows you have to make sure your card can assign a separate profile to each monitor, because many video cards don't have the ability.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I don't have a Huey but in general my understanding is that monitors can be separately calibrated when both the OS and the video card support it. On the Mac you can usually assume that any connected monitor can have its own profile. On Windows you have to make sure your card can assign a separate profile to each monitor, because many video cards don't have the ability.

The Huey software only supports one display unless you opt for the pro feature. It will only generate one profile.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    It will only generate one profile.
    I'm still working on the details. But I know that my displays didn't look the same before calibration. (one had a much more servere blue cast) and now they are both identical in color & brightness. If they shared the same identical profile. Wouldn't you see a difference like the way the monitors looked before they were calibrated?

I don't doubt that the firmware upgrade is worth it. There's no need for me to purchase it though if I already have matching monitors now. It's jsut intrigued me as to how to recreate this. I'm not on a quest to save 30 bucks for the world.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my monitors are identical. From what I read allot of ppl use second monitors but they are other brands.

-Jon
  • Options
    swetzelswetzel Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I have a 24" aluminum iMac with a glossy screen. How does the Huey work with glossy screen calibration? I purchases a Spyder Express over a year ago after taking to datacolor and having them tell me that that was what I should buy for my glossy screen. It never worked well.

I contacted datacolor again recently and asked them if a spyder express would work on a glossy screen, they told me that it would not do a good job and I should buy one of their newer products...

Guess whose color calibrator I never want to purchase again?
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Looking to get the Huey Pro. Notice the discount code is no longer working with Pantone. I know this thread was started a long time ago. Is there an updated code or offer no longer good? Best place to purchase this item with a good price, if not?
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter