Options

Lightbox Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    smugbug wrote:
    Actually I would argue that using Lightbox for viewing full-resolution (megapixel) images is MUCH worse than using a popup. If someone wanted to obtain a full-size original, it would be easier to open up a popup, and let it download in that window while he browses the rest of a gallery.

It's a completely different matter if a user instead uploads his own resized images (larger than "large", but still small enough to fit in a browser). In that case Lightbox is pretty nice. Fix the Firefox resize bug, make navigation easier, and you've got a slick way to view images that nearly fill your screen (without the crappy interpolation of slideshow).

Someone, anyone, explain to me why you would want Lightbox to view 6-8 megapixel images, as you spend minutes staring at gears. At least in a popup, you can do other things, and check on the progress of the download.

Sounds like you haven't used the latest version, since there are no gears, and there's no waiting.

Try again, see what you think. :)

Don
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Two more issues with the 2/15 Lightbox
    Two issues with the latest Lightbox implementation as of the 2/15 release:

1) I used to open the original image and right click on it and pick Copy Image Location from the right click menu in order to get the URL of the original image. Now, when I right click on it, it closes. I can't do this anymore.

2) When I want to get an original sized image into Photoshop, I used to open the image and then drag/drop it into Photoshop. When I try to do that now, it just closes the image. If I want to get the image into PS now, I have to use Save Photo, put it in the file system and then open that file in PS. That's about 5 steps more than it used to be.

While I appreciate the effort to try to fix/replace the ugly pop-up that used to be here, I don't understand why you are overriding all this standard browser behavior and lots of things that use to work no longer work? It feels too cute for it's own good. Why, for example, can't I still use a right click menu on the image in the lightbox? Why can't I drag/drop that image like I can all other browser images?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

1) I used to open the original image and right click on it and pick Copy Image Location from the right click menu in order to get the URL of the original image. Now, when I right click on it, it closes. I can't do this anymore.
    Gallery link please? And, what browser are you using? I don't see this behavior. Here, for example,

http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/1199937/1/56136073/Original

this image opens ON the page, and I can right click to open it in a new tab or window. OR copy the address.
    jfriend wrote:
    2) When I want to get an original sized image into Photoshop, I used to open the image and then drag/drop it into Photoshop. When I try to do that now, it just closes the image. If I want to get the image into PS now, I have to use Save Photo, put it in the file system and then open that file in PS. That's about 5 steps more than it used to be.

Same thing, John. Here:

This image is ON the page, I can drag it to my desktop, or whereever. ne_nau.gif Have you really tried it in different views, etc?

BTW John - now with Critique style, smugloupe, and LB, and starting for example with all thumbs, or traditional, and clicking thru the various sizes, are your concerns from a month or so addressed? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2006
    Here's how to reproduce
    Andy wrote:
    Gallery link please? And, what browser are you using? I don't see this behavior. Here, for example,

this image opens ON the page, and I can right click to open it in a new tab or window. OR copy the address.

Same thing, John. Here:

This image is ON the page, I can drag it to my desktop, or whereever. ne_nau.gif Have you really tried it in different views, etc?

BTW John - now with Critique style, smugloupe, and LB, and starting for example with all thumbs, or traditional, and clicking thru the various sizes, are your concerns from a month or so addressed? ear.gif

To reproduce the problem I see, here are the steps:

1) Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP
    2) Go to your gallery: http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/1199937/1/56136073
    3) Click on the "O" link to see the original image. Lightbox opens and loads the original size.
    4) Try to drag/drop that anywhere or right click on it and it closes immediately.

I haven't looked at the other issue you asked about yet. The gears and non-incremental loading of the first version turned me off so much, I didn't spend any time on it then.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    I tweaked the mouseclick detection for lightbox and the new behavior matches what you want. Should be out tonight or tomorrow.

Some of the problem was related to protecting images from right click, so I went a little overboard initially :D

jfriend wrote:

While I appreciate the effort to try to fix/replace the ugly pop-up that used to be here, I don't understand why you are overriding all this standard browser behavior and lots of things that use to work no longer work? It feels too cute for it's own good. Why, for example, can't I still use a right click menu on the image in the lightbox? Why can't I drag/drop that image like I can all other browser images?
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    I'll check it out
    {JT} wrote:
    I tweaked the mouseclick detection for lightbox and the new behavior matches what you want. Should be out tonight or tomorrow.

Some of the problem was related to protecting images from right click, so I went a little overboard initially :D

Thanks. I'll check it out when it's released.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    raison d'être ?
    OK, before I say what I think of lightbox, I want to ask a simple question: What *exactly* was it trying to acomplish, why did it get created?

I've seen some comments from the various smugsters that hint and imply about it... but nothing that really comes out and says why the design went where it did. (Creeping Featurism is the closest thing I've seen that could explain it... and it's a problem I grok all too well....)

Or, in other words, what do you think the *normal* usage pattern is for those 4 million unique visitors that would see this feature as so cool they have to have it?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    OK, before I say what I think of lightbox, I want to ask a simple question: What *exactly* was it trying to acomplish, why did it get created?

I've seen some comments from the various smugsters that hint and imply about it... but nothing that really comes out and says why the design went where it did. (Creeping Featurism is the closest thing I've seen that could explain it... and it's a problem I grok all too well....)

Or, in other words, what do you think the *normal* usage pattern is for those 4 million unique visitors that would see this feature as so cool they have to have it?

It was originally thought that on say, SmugMug or SmugMug Small pages, clicking on the pic and LB firing would set the photo off from the rest on the page. See our help section for a picture example:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/viewing-online-photo-albums

What happened in reality, is, folks thought LB was cool to view and page through larger and original sized photos. OK - so we had to beat down some browsers and then make it behave. Also when and how it fires.

This subject has been brought up a lot :D I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Thanks. I'll check it out when it's released.

nod.gif AND some of the problem is different behavior due to browser differences. When I answered you last night I was looking at this linked images in Safari, which, behaves exactly as I described. Hopefully, JTs change will allow you IE users to have the good goodness as well :D
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    IE - Not me
    Andy wrote:
    AND some of the problem is different behavior due to browser differences. When I answered you last night I was looking at this linked images in Safari, which, behaves exactly as I described. Hopefully, JTs change will allow you IE users to have the good goodness as well

Ouch. :smack. I wouldn't be caught dead running IE blbl.gif. I run Firefox.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    smugbugsmugbug Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Wow, I really like the changes made to Lightbox, especially the keyboard arrow key navigation. I appreciate that the Smugmug staff listens to their customers.

I'm wondering why there are now scroll bars that constraint the horizontal size of an original size image on the HTML page though - it looks really weird. I'd prefer to show the whole image (because my originals are only slightly larger than the "large" size).

Also, I think it'd be nice, when using the Smugmug style, if the site remembered the the Lightbox viewing size the viewer last used (if he changes it to say, original).

In general, it would be nice to have some extra options to control little things like this.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    smugbug wrote:

I'm wondering why there are now scroll bars that constraint the horizontal size of an original size image on the HTML page though - it looks really weird. I'd prefer to show the whole image (because my originals are only slightly larger than the "large" size).

HI smugbug,

There's no other way to put an O on the page - since Os can be from 801pixels up to Gigundo-size. Of course, if you are a power or pro user, you can design your own theme and have it your way!
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    smugbug wrote:
    In general, it would be nice to have some extra options to control little things like this.

There are many options available to customize LightBox:

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/734406/1/32362680/Original
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Ouch. :smack. I wouldn't be caught dead running IE blbl.gif. I run Firefox.

lol3.gif I think what I *meant* to say was, it's a windows thing- none of the four browsers I have on Mac was exhibiting the behavior... no worries though and I hope that JT can nail this one too.

YOU USED not one, but TWO smilies! I'm bookmarking this post!
  • Options
    smugbugsmugbug Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    HI smugbug,

There's no other way to put an O on the page - since Os can be from 801pixels up to Gigundo-size. Of course, if you are a power or pro user, you can design your own theme and have it your way!
    Before you could have large images on the page, but use the browser's scroll bars to scroll through the image. The maximum viewable size is even smaller than the large size, while I am using originals with 1100 pixel width. It just looks bad, and it's always annoying that I would have to pay extra just to get things the way they used to be.

This means that Lightbox is the only way to view Original images properly. While I like Lightbox, you still have to go through the page with the size-constrained image first.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2006
    smugbug wrote:
    Before you could have large images on the page, but use the browser's scroll bars to scroll through the image. The maximum viewable size is even smaller than the large size, while I am using originals with 1100 pixel width. It just looks bad, and it's always annoying that I would have to pay extra just to get things the way they used to be.

This means that Lightbox is the only way to view Original images properly. While I like Lightbox, you still have to go through the page with the size-constrained image first.

Thanks for the great feedback, smugbug!
  • Options
    bmcent1bmcent1 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Lightbox crashing Linux Browsers... only recently
    Reading the last page it seems there have been some changes to Lightbox lately.

Can someone please check out this bug and see if there is a fix?

I use Linux almost exclusively. At work I run Red Hat Enterprise Workstation version 4. At home I run Debian testing. On both systems I use both Mozilla and Firefox but primarily Mozilla.

Until recently, Lightbox worked fine in all four of these combinations. Today at work, Lightbox crashed my browser (browser completely died, instantly) when I opened any picture in it. This happened for both Mozilla and Firefox.

Tonight, same thing happens at home on my Debian computer when I click on any picture in my galleries. Seems to be something newly different about Lightbox and its causing Linux browser crashes for various Linux OSs.

The last time I used Lightbox, my picture size was most likely O/Original. Perhaps something about the new scroll bars is causing the browser crash for Linux browsers?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    smugbug wrote:
    Before you could have large images on the page, but use the browser's scroll bars to scroll through the image.
    This behaviour, best exemplified in one of andy's images, is what the UI gurus at work refer to as "breaking the scroll bars" or a "disjointed scroll pane". you have two planes of motion on that image, H and V. But the V scroll is controlled by the browser window, and the H scroll is some inner frame pushed of the bottom of the screen. Say you have the kids face in window, and you want to pan over to the dad/coach's face. Unless you have an X/Y scroll wheel on your mouse, first you scroll down to the kids feet, then over to dad's then up to his face. Ironically, LB makes it better. I say ironically, because in almost every other instance I've seen, LB seems to be worse than pre-LB. Case in point, from a gallery, it's now one click more to get to a decent view of an O size image. (click image to get from gallery to single image at default size, then click image to open LB so you can see more of it on screen... this assumes that with the recent changes folks did the same thing I did and dropped their default size down from O to L.)
    andy wrote:
    What happened in reality, is, folks thought LB was cool to view and page through larger and original sized photos. OK - so we had to beat down some browsers and then make it behave. Also when and how it fires.
    Yes, I think the when and how it fires part is the biggest issue... currently it seems chaotic. This past weekend I got to watch my inlaws navigate around a smugmug gallery for the first time since LB debuted... they were perplexed to say the least about how they got from point A to point B, or why viewing at L behaved differently than viewing at O.

I hate to suggest it, and I'm sure the themers will riot in the streets if this were put into production, but I think the "best of both worlds" would be to offer the end viewer the most flexibility with a link set something like this:

View in this window as: S · M · L · O · By default
    View on Light Box as: S · M · L · O · By default
    Set your preferred size: S · M · L · O | save photo

The LB links there obviously aren't live since we can't do that from dgrin, but they would fire up LB for that image at that size. The two By default links would set the default for opening any image to either the traditional view as it was before LB's debut, or lightbox as it is today, and the prefered size links obviously function as they do today. (save photo is just thrown on there because it is today, if it's enabled... it could probably be removed to make that matrix much cleaner.)

This would require that the Original view be put back the way it was... without the new horizontal constraint. (I think that's the most objectionable of the changes that went live recently, LB itself isn't that bad... in fact there are some cases where I like it better than most of the other options.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    zanthruszanthrus Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Yes, I think the when and how it fires part is the biggest issue... currently it seems chaotic. This past weekend I got to watch my inlaws navigate around a smugmug gallery for the first time since LB debuted... they were perplexed to say the least about how they got from point A to point B, or why viewing at L behaved differently than viewing at O.
    It seems chaotic to me too. I think the following menu is the most confusing part:

other sizes: S · Medium · L · O · save photo

On smugmug style pages, S, M, and L go to the single photo pages, and O opens the lightbox. On single photo pages, S, M, L, and O all go to single photo pages.

Also, clicking on the picture does different things, in smugmug style it goes to the lightbox. On single photo pages it increases the size. On original single photo pages it opens the lightbox. Why would you want to open the lightbox to look at the same picture you're already looking at?

Worse yet, on a smugmug style page, it looks like you're at the medium size page. But, if you click to the large size, and then click back to the medium size you're still stuck on a single photo page. There isn't a link to get back to the smugmug style page of the photo you were viewing.

It seems to me like the S, M, L, and O links should just change the size of picture, but should otherwise leave the format of the page alone. I'd also suggest that lightbox should only be enabled when you click on the image in smugmug style. That's the only place where lightbox has a clearly defined purpose, letting you see a bigger picture without losing your place.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    I'm going to join the "confused" camp.

If I am in Smugmug or Critique view, when I click on an image I go into Lightbox... ok.

When I am in "All Thumbs, Traditional or Journal" and click on the picture, I get "single image view" (I guess that is what you call it). If I hit Original, I stay in "single image view" but my picture has scroll bars around it (I've never seen that before).

On a side note:
    I think a feature that would make Lightbox a very cool tool would be if I could click and drag a large picture around within the frame (just like google maps) that would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    I'm going to join the "confused" camp.

If I am in Smugmug or Critique view, when I click on an image I go into Lightbox... ok.

When I am in "All Thumbs, Traditional or Journal" and click on the picture, I get "single image view" (I guess that is what you call it). If I hit Original, I stay in "single image view" but my picture has scroll bars around it (I've never seen that before).

On a side note:
    I think a feature that would make Lightbox a very cool tool would be if I could click and drag a large picture around within the frame (just like google maps) that would be awesome.

Hi DMC... this was the way in which we make (hopfully) everyone happy, and still use themes, etc. You'll have your ORIGINALs on the page, and if you click once more, you'll be in Lightbox.

If you want to have originals on the page WITHOUT the scrollbars, you can have it that way, too:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28192

I hope this helps,

Andy
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    If you want to have originals on the page WITHOUT the scrollbars, you can have it that way, too:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28192

But only if you're on a power or pro account, right? So far as I can tell, us standard users can't do that. Which means we no longer have ANY way to display an original size image the way it used to be.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    But only if you're on a power or pro account, right? So far as I can tell, us standard users can't do that. Which means we no longer have ANY way to display an original size image the way it used to be.

True, we no longer subject you to popups. You prefer the popup to Lightbox, I take it?
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    True, we no longer subject you to popups. You prefer the popup to Lightbox, I take it?

When you were using popups, I could still see the Original image in a normal browser window, and so didn't have to launch the popup if I didn't want to. Now you are limiting the width of the image if I don't use LB. So yeah, I prefer the old behaviour where popup was optional and I didn't have to go there if I didn't want to. Not because I prefer popups, it's the side effect that came along with the LB deployment that I really don't like. (see my earlier comment for more about why.)
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    When you were using popups, I could still see the Original image in a normal browser window, and so didn't have to launch the popup if I didn't want to. Now you are limiting the width of the image if I don't use LB. So yeah, I prefer the old behaviour where popup was optional and I didn't have to go there if I didn't want to. Not because I prefer popups, it's the side effect that came along with the LB deployment that I really don't like. (see my earlier comment for more about why.)

You can open the -O in a new window or tab, yes?

On the page (with scroll bars):
    http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/1210943/1/56644956/Original

Right click and you can look at this:
    http://williams.smugmug.com/photos/56644956-O.jpg
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    my LB issues
    Andy:

When I go to your page from the previous post:

"http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/...44956/Original"

on a Mac, OSX, Camino (0.8.1) for my browser, I get the pointy finger over your image, so I click on it (expecting it to link to something), and voila, the browser shuts down! Not very good if you want to keep people at your site.

Anyone else experienced this?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy:

on a Mac, OSX, Camino (0.8.1)

Camino?

Officially, we support Safari, Firefox on Mac. Firefox and IE6 on Windows:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=249357

Staying up to date is important though :D

Camino 1.0 - I just installed it Pete. I can right click, view image, no problem. I can click on the Orig on my page, and it fires up Lightbox... as expected. Here's a screenshot:
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    yes, updates are good
    Andy:

I just tried it two more times on different photos on your site and it shut down the Camino browser both times. I understand about the browser support. However, I've disabled the lightbox on my smugmug site, and there are no problems (I had the browser closing when I clicked on photos there too). I'll check for a camino update. And I know-- no one uses camino. The crazy thing is I use mozilla on a pc at home... which no one uses either. As long as it works on my own site if I turn lightbox off (thank you for that option), I'm fine. Just thought you might want some feedback on how some users (us weirdos who use camino) might be seeing things.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited February 17, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy:

I just tried it two more times on different photos on your site and it shut down the Camino browser both times.

Did you upgrade to the stable 1.0 version ear.gif
    That's what I used and screenshotted above
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 17, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy:

I just tried it two more times on different photos on your site and it shut down the Camino browser both times. I understand about the browser support. However, I've disabled the lightbox on my smugmug site, and there are no problems (I had the browser closing when I clicked on photos there too). I'll check for a camino update. And I know-- no one uses camino. The crazy thing is I use mozilla on a pc at home... which no one uses either. As long as it works on my own site if I turn lightbox off (thank you for that option), I'm fine. Just thought you might want some feedback on how some users (us weirdos who use camino) might be seeing things.

Hey, I'm a weirdo, too! I use Camino for most of my browsing, and the updated version works fine :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign