Ch 58: colors deux

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 9, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, so I haven't tried my hand at a challenge in a while. 58 just "spoke to me" :lol3

Some of my first off-the-cuff attempts. I'd love your input. Thanks.

55586533-L.jpg

55586537-L.jpg

55586539-L.jpg

55586543-L.jpg

Comments

• vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    OK, so I haven't tried my hand at a challenge in a while. 58 just "spoke to me" lol3.gif

Some of my first off-the-cuff attempts. I'd love your input. Thanks.

Number deux does it for me :):. I like black & white contrasts

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    i like the simplicity of #2 - and it makes me dizzy
    eek7.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    What is it? I keep staring at it trying to figure out what it is. It's like an optical illusion. It almost seems to have movement to it. Keep looking and you're going to see a zebra or something.
    Love it.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    this is gonna be one of the challenges where black and white are going to make me confused. While I love the #2 photo (simplicity, pattern, minimal, modern, love it love it), I don't see 2 colors, I see a geometric pattern. Same with #1 and #4. Only #3, the wall and the sky grab me as a two-color image.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Love your photos, Angelo. Especially #2. thumb.gif But I am with Erik on this one. It is hard to think of black and white as representing two colors. Don't know why since I think that white and blue, for example, would qualify. Or black and red. Or, or, or. headscratch.gif Maybe you could use LAB to change either the black or the white into a "color." :D Maybe a consensus will build that use of simply black and white does the trick. ne_nau.gif Anyhow, I love #2.

Virginia

Email
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    #3 is a nice shot which fits the challenge perfectly. I love the contrast of the confines of the brick wall against the freedom of the beautiful sky. Good eye on that one.thumb.gif
  • FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Colors
    DoctorIt wrote:
    this is gonna be one of the challenges where black and white are going to make me confused. While I love the #2 photo (simplicity, pattern, minimal, modern, love it love it), I don't see 2 colors, I see a geometric pattern. Same with #1 and #4. Only #3, the wall and the sky grab me as a two-color image.

What two colors are in that pattern, if you don't see colors....lolrolleyes1.gif
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    2! This one stands out from the rest.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I love 2 & 3!
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    #3 is a nice shot which fits the challenge perfectly. I love the contrast of the confines of the brick wall against the freedom of the beautiful sky. Good eye on that one.thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif #3 is a keeper
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    HOLY MOLY!!!!

I'm away from the office for one morning and I return to 11, count them ELEVEN responses. Wow!

My cup runneth over. Thank you all so much.

It appears #2 may be leading the pack but I will read all responses above carefully and then reply later. Thank you again!

iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Tweek #2
    Why not Photoshop photo #2 to be two globally recognized colors and you will have the best of both worlds.

Great shots...
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    #2. Makes me dizzy to look at it, but I really like it.
    edited February 8, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Number deux does it for me :):. I like black & white contrasts

Nicola

Thanks Nicola. thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    edited February 8, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    eek7.gif

soooo, you're what? simply dizzy? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Tessa thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    What is it? I keep staring at it trying to figure out what it is. It's like an optical illusion. It almost seems to have movement to it. Keep looking and you're going to see a zebra or something.
    Love it.

Try staring at it after a jack and coke! lol3.gif

I think I'll keep the mystery alive a little while longer. Thanks for looking Storm.
    edited February 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Is that something esoteric... black nor white are colors. black is the absence of color; white is pure light? lol3.gif

Eric, I do love the colors of the brick wall/sky too. This will be tough to decide upon. Thanks for looking. thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Love your photos, Angelo. Especially #2. thumb.gif But I am with Erik on this one. It is hard to think of black and white as representing two colors. Don't know why since I think that white and blue, for example, would qualify. Or black and red. Or, or, or. headscratch.gif Maybe you could use LAB to change either the black or the white into a "color." :D Maybe a consensus will build that use of simply black and white does the trick. ne_nau.gif Anyhow, I love #2.

Virginia

You and Erik present an interesting argument. If I can figure out how to change the colors in PS I'll certainly try other combos. Thank you for looking and commenting.
    edited February 8, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:

Thanks Mitch. You've described this image in an interesting way. I appreciate your input. thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    Froggy wrote:
    What two colors are in that pattern, if you don't see colors....lolrolleyes1.gif

Maybe he was wearing striped "shades"? rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    johno wrote:
    2! This one stands out from the rest.

peace.
    johno~

It appears we have a clear front runner. Thanks John. thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    edited February 8, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif #3 is a keeper

Ah Daniel san. Thank you thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    shatch wrote:
    Why not Photoshop photo #2 to be two globally recognized colors and you will have the best of both worlds.

Great shots...

I have absolutely NO idea how to do that ne_nau.gif :cry

Thanks for looking Shatch thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    #2. Makes me dizzy to look at it, but I really like it.

Maybe you should lay off the sauce? lol3.gif Just kidding.

Thank you Thusie thumb.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    #2 black and white are 2 colors --still eek7.gif sky blue cloud white brick red crout black 1-2-3-4 umph.gif still like 2 but you do know better than to take advice from me headscratch.gif right rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited February 9, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    #2 black and white are 2 colors --still eek7.gif sky blue cloud white brick red crout black 1-2-3-4 umph.gif still like 2 but you do know better than to take advice from me headscratch.gif right rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Jeff. :D
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    3 rocks hard
    wow! #3 just smacks me up along side the head and screams *color*, and more importantly *two colors*.

Yes, #2 has two colors, but no matter what two colors they are, it's not the color you see, it's the pattern... it's just too busy. Now when a a contest for "random lines that capture your eye and hold onto it way longer than they should" comes along, then that's the image to go for.

If you don't mind my playing with your image a bit (if you object, just say the word and they're gone), I think I can show you what a couple of folks here mean:

55685168-S.jpg

55685172-S.jpg

55685175-S.jpg

No matter what two colors I make it, the geometric pattern is still the stronger focal element.

(and just to be complete, 1 and 4 I had to stop and ask "what 2 colors are you trying to convey?")
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/