Ch 58: colors deux

2»

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    wow! #3 just smacks me up along side the head and screams *color*, and more importantly *two colors*.

Yes, #2 has two colors, but no matter what two colors they are, it's not the color you see, it's the pattern... it's just too busy. Now when a a contest for "random lines that capture your eye and hold onto it way longer than they should" comes along, then that's the image to go for.

If you don't mind my playing with your image a bit (if you object, just say the word and they're gone), I think I can show you what a couple of folks here mean:

55685168-S.jpg

55685172-S.jpg

55685175-S.jpg

No matter what two colors I make it, the geometric pattern is still the stronger focal element.

(and just to be complete, 1 and 4 I had to stop and ask "what 2 colors are you trying to convey?")

Hi Cabbey - thanks for lending your thoughts and your hand to my efforts. I understood what others meant by swapping colors on my #2, I just don't know how to do it. The examples you've shown have a common problem; too much noise, or ummm, rough edges (?) Is that because they're low res or is it just an optical thing due to the pattern?

On my #1 I thought the pink/green was evident, and with #4 I assumed creative license would allow the sky to drop out as neutral, leaving just the building. Clearly those two shots are being dropped from consideration :):

Thanks again. thumb.gif
  • ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I Agree with DoctorIt #3 is the only true two color image, and it happens to be a good one! The sky and wall make a warm blend of colors!
    :thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I'm attracted
    To #2, but wonder if a tighter crop would help? It does not say two colors to me, however.

I like the idea of the brick wall, but just think the red in the brick is too unrealistic, and again, maybe a tigher crop? Wouldn't some people shadows on the brick be cool? Hey, photoshop's allowed... and a bird in the sky? There goes your trapped and free concept to the max...
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Hi Cabbey - thanks for lending your thoughts and your hand to my efforts. I understood what others meant by swapping colors on my #2, I just don't know how to do it.
    Yup, figured the concept was clear, I just wanted to see what they looked like myself in other colors to confirm what I thought. As soon as I did, it really gelled in my mind, and I figured I'd share the results.
    The examples you've shown have a common problem; too much noise, or ummm, rough edges (?) Is that because they're low res or is it just an optical thing due to the pattern?
    Yeah, they're low rez (smugmug Small) and even lower color depth. I was really just going for a quick knock together prototype to see what effect changing the colors had. So the process I used there was just that... quick and dirty. The side effect was some noise. The image that was exported to jpeg was only 1 bit per pixel, that's where most of that noise came from. I simply changed the definition of what the resulting two colors meant and exported three versions. If I was going for a print quality image instead, I would have used a much different process.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited February 9, 2006
    ButterNutz wrote:
    I Agree with DoctorIt #3 is the only true two color image, and it happens to be a good one! The sky and wall make a warm blend of colors!

Thank you butternutz thumb.gif
    edited February 9, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    To #2, but wonder if a tighter crop would help? It does not say two colors to me, however.

I like the idea of the brick wall, but just think the red in the brick is too unrealistic, and again, maybe a tigher crop? Wouldn't some people shadows on the brick be cool? Hey, photoshop's allowed... and a bird in the sky? There goes your trapped and free concept to the max...

Hey Dee, thanks for looking. I have to figure out how to wrap my brain around the notion that black and white are not two colors.

I did a little saturation bump on the wall for drama. the plain, original brick was rather boring.
    edited February 9, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Yup, figured the concept was clear, I just wanted to see what they looked like myself in other colors to confirm what I thought. As soon as I did, it really gelled in my mind, and I figured I'd share the results.

Yeah, they're low rez (smugmug Small) and even lower color depth. I was really just going for a quick knock together prototype to see what effect changing the colors had. So the process I used there was just that... quick and dirty. The side effect was some noise. The image that was exported to jpeg was only 1 bit per pixel, that's where most of that noise came from. I simply changed the definition of what the resulting two colors meant and exported three versions. If I was going for a print quality image instead, I would have used a much different process.

Thanks again Cabbey. I have to figure out how you did that. :D
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    On my #1 I thought the pink/green was evident, and with #4 I assumed creative license would allow the sky to drop out as neutral, leaving just the building. Clearly those two shots are being dropped from consideration :):

I'm surprised that no one has seriously considered #1 - that's the one that seemed closest to my notion of the assignment - two colors varying in saturation and luminance, essentially a "tritone", and your shot#1 is exactly that, and without even resorting to photoshop!

Duotones would in my view be another reasonable interpretation of the the "colors 2" assignment. Yet in my mind one would need gradations of the tint from shadow to highlight, whereas #2 is simply the two extremes, and a neutral (colorless) black/white at that, disqualifying, in my mind. ne_nau.gif
    edited February 9, 2006
    muddyknees wrote:
    I'm surprised that no one has seriously considered #1 - that's the one that seemed closest to my notion of the assignment - two colors varying in saturation and luminance, essentially a "tritone", and your shot#1 is exactly that, and without even resorting to photoshop!

Duotones would in my view be another reasonable interpretation of the the "colors 2" assignment. Yet in my mind one would need gradations of the tint from shadow to highlight, whereas #2 is simply the two extremes, and a neutral (colorless) black/white at that, disqualifying, in my mind. ne_nau.gif

Muddy, thank you for validating what I had hoped would be a clear choice among the selection. While I respect everyone's opinon and appreciate the feedback, I really thought the natural hues of #1 were very good. The fact that the sky matches the buildings is so incredible to me. Perhaps there was an assumption that I PS'd that. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for taking time to look and comment. thumb.gif